PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Online Game Save Storage Increase Coming with PS3 System Software Update (v4.25)

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Sep 11, 2012 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

At this year’s Gamescom press conference, we announced that Online Game Save Storage will be upgraded to 1GB for PlayStation Plus members, and I’m happy to report that the increase will be available soon with PS3 system software update (v4.25)!

PlayStation Plus

To sign up for PlayStation Plus, go to PlayStation Store on your PS3, or click here.

After you’ve installed the update, simply go to the Saved Data Utility under the Game column of the XMB. From there you can access the Online Storage folder and find any existing game saves already uploaded, as well as the increase in space to 1GB. So set your automatic download to upload every game save for every compatible game you play and enjoy the additional breathing room. You can also continue to use this feature to selectively upload game saves you specify.

Stay tuned to PlayStation.Blog for the latest info on future updates.

PAGE 1 2 3 5

+ Jesszman on September 11th, 2012 at 10:04 am said:

Will this be available today?

Eric Lempel's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on September 11th, 2012 at 12:01 pm said:

This should be available later tonight.

Eric Lempel's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on September 11th, 2012 at 7:09 pm said:

To confirm; the update is now live. Update time!

+ StealthReborn– on September 11th, 2012 at 10:04 am said:

Thanks Eric.

You and the teams work is greatly appreciated! =)

+ aro52 on September 11th, 2012 at 10:04 am said:

Finally! This is now a usable [awesome] feature!

+ PRIMUS_420 on September 11th, 2012 at 10:04 am said:

Cool beans

+ Phillip_J_Fry on September 11th, 2012 at 10:05 am said:

Huzzah! I can start using the Cloud Storage again =)

+ Daniel_R_C on September 11th, 2012 at 10:05 am said:

Update the store already

+ AriesWarlock on September 11th, 2012 at 10:06 am said:

This is great news. I have a question: if my subscription runs out, for how long will saved data be stored in the cloud?

+ Knight613 on September 11th, 2012 at 10:06 am said:

Any chance you can add an option in the Message Box to mark all items as read? It’s kind of annoying to go through messages twice since the PS3 and Vita don’t sync messages with each other.

+ skepsipol on September 11th, 2012 at 10:06 am said:

Thank you for the HUGE increase! Very much appreciated.

+ zingakun on September 11th, 2012 at 10:07 am said:

One question. I’m no longer a PS+ subscriber, but I plan to come back when I see some good games coming to the Instant Game Collection.

My question is, when I come back, will my previous game save data still be there? Or do I lose everything when my subscription expires?

Thank you!

Eric Lempel's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on September 11th, 2012 at 12:02 pm said:

Yep, they should be waiting for you when you return to Plus.

+ JTLB925 on September 11th, 2012 at 10:07 am said:

I’m glad to hear this. I’m pushing the limit of my online storage.

+ Deekman on September 11th, 2012 at 10:08 am said:

Is it possible to upload PS1 game saves to the cloud for quick transfer between Vita and PS3?

+ Sevyne on September 11th, 2012 at 10:11 am said:

@zingakun: I believe this question has been answered before, but it’s easy to miss in the midst of comment spam. Anyway, I’m pretty sure the save data stays, but you are locked out of them until you renew.

+ KwietStorm on September 11th, 2012 at 10:11 am said:

Thanks. Now can we get some basic features like sign in invisible and a categorized download history list?

+ Undrey on September 11th, 2012 at 10:11 am said:

Definitely gonna use this on my other account.
Any chance there’s a new remote play update for an HD collection or any game?

+ Phoenix8387 on September 11th, 2012 at 10:11 am said:

This has been severly needed, and in fact, still seems too little to me. I’ve been VERY selective as to what I’ve been uploading, and made the decision that I was only uploading copy protected saves. I’ve been forced to copy all saves off of my HDD manually and back them up elsewhere, in my case a dropbox folder. This will certainly help with not having to be selective, but it would also be nice if we could select alternate sources to store our [non copy protected] saves.

+ SephTiger on September 11th, 2012 at 10:12 am said:

So… can non-PS+ members get 150MB free?

+ Mooby923 on September 11th, 2012 at 10:12 am said:

Awesome thanks guys

+ MrBeatdown on September 11th, 2012 at 10:13 am said:

Awesome! Now that 50MB Smackdown Vs Raw ’11 save that’s been failing to upload for months will finally fit.

Thanks Sony… this one was pretty high on my wishlist.

+ snakeeyes211 on September 11th, 2012 at 10:13 am said:

This is great news so hopefully you could tell us when it’s coming out? Today? next week? next month?

+ zingakun on September 11th, 2012 at 10:14 am said:

Tks @Sevyne! :)

It’s really difficult to search for answers like that here in the forum.

+ kittcoldfire on September 11th, 2012 at 10:14 am said:

can you PLEASE make it possible to download a save more than once a day. Games like darksiders 2 where you can online save online are SO annoying when I upload my save and then have to wait a full DAY before downloading it again on my 2nd ps3 in another room or something like that, it should be unlimited like it used to be when PSPlus first started.

+ Enforcer_X on September 11th, 2012 at 10:15 am said:

Soon when?
Soon like today, soon like tomorrow?
Soon like Machinarium for PS3 showing for release in Fall 2011?

At any rate, thank you for the bump in space we all desperately needed it!

+ SirTrigalot on September 11th, 2012 at 10:17 am said:

YES! Now I can send everything to the cloud minus the 362mb Afrika save

+ PilotoBR on September 11th, 2012 at 10:18 am said:

Where is x-chat? Even PSVita has it!! Why don’t you guys make it happen? It must be so simple!!

+ MEXRPG on September 11th, 2012 at 10:20 am said:

Will I be able to upload my PS VIta Game saves as well? If so, this is even better news!

Eric Lempel's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on September 11th, 2012 at 12:03 pm said:

PS Vita game saves can’t be uploaded to the service at this time.

+ Battlepope190 on September 11th, 2012 at 10:20 am said:

Sweet, I’ll definitely be using online storage now.

+ ASC2175 on September 11th, 2012 at 10:20 am said:

Ooooooooh, more savey spacey things…..

+ Ryumoau on September 11th, 2012 at 10:20 am said:

Finally! Its sad that this is the best news i’ve seen for PS Plus since they initial 12 free games back during E3.

+ remanutd5 on September 11th, 2012 at 10:23 am said:

so next is gonna be psvita plus support right?

+ lisatsunami on September 11th, 2012 at 10:23 am said:

Great news, & very generous, thanks! This is probably the best perk for Plus membership, for me anyway. Many game saves can only be saved via the cloud. I use this for Dark Souls, as it allows me to workaround the game’s strict one save only, automatic saving policy. By using the cloud I can return to an earlier save if I don’t like what just happened. I just wish there wasn’t a 24 hour wait restriction.

+ KazeEternal on September 11th, 2012 at 10:24 am said:

Oh good I was about to hit cap.

TY!

+ SirTrigalot on September 11th, 2012 at 10:26 am said:

@PilotoBR are you really still asking this question? They already said no and the Vita has it because it was designed to support it from the beginning unlike the PS3.

+ Whitefire78 on September 11th, 2012 at 10:26 am said:

@PilotoBR This was announced, maybe about a year ago, That the PS3 could not handle Cross Game Chat. Drop it, it is dead. And no it is certainly not easy to code and make.

+ Skrawney on September 11th, 2012 at 10:29 am said:

Hold on, you have to wait 24hrs to re-download a save for a service you pay for?

Eric Lempel's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on September 11th, 2012 at 12:04 pm said:

Some games utilize a form of save protection that does put a time restrain on when you can download a save that was uploaded to online storage. It’s fairly rare though.

+ CrusaderForever on September 11th, 2012 at 10:29 am said:

This is fantastic news! I have used the saved game restore utility a couple of times now. It has saved me!! Especially for glitchy games were saved games get corrupted!

+ QuickBrittle on September 11th, 2012 at 10:31 am said:

I truly truly despise that this feature is only available to PS+ subscribers. I own 2 legitimate PS3 consoles and the fact that I can’t move my save game data back and forth at will is incredibly frustrating.

+ Sofaires on September 11th, 2012 at 10:31 am said:

great i have only 25MB left this will be a welcome addition, i have to renew my subscription this week XD

+ Sofaires on September 11th, 2012 at 10:37 am said:

@Skrawney im not sure cause a few weeks ago i uploaded all of my saves because i was going to upgrade the hard drive and i didnt want to wait for the backup so i uploaded the saves and changed the hard drive then i installed the firmware and immediately i started downloading the saves without problems, i have read that this 24 hour period its indeed true but why i was able to download them in less than an hour, i dont know….

@QuickBrittle i think that now that they have increased the space for + users they should give 50MB free for non + users but then again if they dont do it, it still not unfair since we dont have to pay anything for online play while xbox have to, is one of the perks of ps+ after all

+ Binkser on September 11th, 2012 at 10:38 am said:

@quickbrittle, you absolutely can transfer with a jump drive. I used to do that all the time before I got plus.

Really looking forward to Vita Plus

+ QuickBrittle on September 11th, 2012 at 10:41 am said:

@Binkser No you can’t. They removed that feature. I used to do it all the time as well.

+ Spazgadget on September 11th, 2012 at 10:42 am said:

Very much appreciated. I’ve been filling my 150MB of space regularly, even with being selective about what I save. Thanks for the extra space! Loving PS+!!

+ SirTrigalot on September 11th, 2012 at 10:42 am said:

@Skrawney copy protected saves are the only ones that require 24 hour wait before downloading again.

+ Binkser on September 11th, 2012 at 10:43 am said:

@skrawney no, the only games that make you wait the 24 hours are the games that don’t even allow you to transfer your save files to a jump drive. Only 2 games that I own have had this issue, “You Don’t Know Jack” and “Alice Madness Returns” so honestly anything of good quality doesn’t make you wait out the day.

+ PRIMUS_420 on September 11th, 2012 at 10:45 am said:

Well Im going to go make a sandwich

+ Genexi2 on September 11th, 2012 at 10:47 am said:

By any chance will this include a means of easily selecting all copy-protected saves for the purpose of backing them up to the Cloud Storage? The Copy-Multiple function introduced on the last mandatory firmware update only applies to normal saves, and it’s annoying having to go through a list of 500 saves just to pick out the ones individually to upload.

+ Skrawney on September 11th, 2012 at 10:48 am said:

Oh ok, still seems kinda lame you have to wait but if it is only copy protected saves then meh.

+ AutomaticOcelot on September 11th, 2012 at 10:50 am said:

Cool and needed feature. Though I’m wondering when we’ll get a Vita sort folder in the games column. After downloading a bunch of Zen Pinball 2 stuff it’s looking kinda cluttered.

+ saab01 on September 11th, 2012 at 10:56 am said:

Hopefully when you say coming soon you mean tonight.

I hope things on the xmb also get fixed in this update or soon.

Faster loading of comparison of trophy with friends
Faster loading of trophy collection
Faster loading of profile
A Internet browser that actually works
Instant synching trophys

+ Tredogg14TK on September 11th, 2012 at 10:59 am said:

Might consider getting ps plus now

Eric Lempel's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on September 11th, 2012 at 12:05 pm said:

Free games with your membership, discounts and early access to games, betas, etc; plus the online storage and automatic updates make Plus an awesome value. Highly recommend; but then again, I’m biased ;)

PAGE 1 2 3 5