PS4 - Transistor

Online Game Save Storage Increase Coming with PS3 System Software Update (v4.25)

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Sep 11, 2012 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

At this year’s Gamescom press conference, we announced that Online Game Save Storage will be upgraded to 1GB for PlayStation Plus members, and I’m happy to report that the increase will be available soon with PS3 system software update (v4.25)!

PlayStation Plus

To sign up for PlayStation Plus, go to PlayStation Store on your PS3, or click here.

After you’ve installed the update, simply go to the Saved Data Utility under the Game column of the XMB. From there you can access the Online Storage folder and find any existing game saves already uploaded, as well as the increase in space to 1GB. So set your automatic download to upload every game save for every compatible game you play and enjoy the additional breathing room. You can also continue to use this feature to selectively upload game saves you specify.

Stay tuned to PlayStation.Blog for the latest info on future updates.

+ mainkster on September 11th, 2012 at 4:04 pm said:

why can’t you just save to a flash or memory card ?, this is only good when you switch your hard drive or your ps3 dies.

+ Irishboy3173 on September 11th, 2012 at 4:14 pm said:

when is the update going live???

+ lisatsunami on September 11th, 2012 at 4:24 pm said:

Ok, Morgan, I got this. I consider myself a cloud save expert. First, it’s not the rare game that is copy protected. I plugged in a USB flash drive & triangled through my whole game save list & found many that would only give the cloud as a save option.

I have 3 PS3′s. You can only have auto update/synch on one, per Plus acct. So, for games like Dark Souls, where I want to keep a protected save, I play that on my non-auto PS3. Skyrim, in contrast, let’s you save like crazy, including flas drives, so no strategy needed.

Last, for Plus peeps who want to buy to own, the solution is simple. Create another account. Buy the game with the secondary acct. Sign out. Sign back in using your real acct so you can keep adding trophies.

+ john8997shore2 on September 11th, 2012 at 4:32 pm said:

any time frame for update? tonight anytime would be great!!!!!!!!!!

+ BuffaloNY92 on September 11th, 2012 at 4:42 pm said:

we should be able to use the entire space in the comment bubble above our PSN IDs

+ Enigma777 on September 11th, 2012 at 4:45 pm said:

Thank god! I’ve been asking for this for years!

+ SpeedRacer1955 on September 11th, 2012 at 6:21 pm said:

Sony should look into “Cloud” game saves for non-plus members since many in this economy can’t get their parents to break out the Visa/Mastercard to pay for premium Services.

It could be the 150MB that was previously enabled for plus members.

+ coldkilla_255 on September 11th, 2012 at 6:21 pm said:

To be honest i always felt that 150 was enough but ill gladly welcome the 1GB!!! i love PS+!

+ snakeeyes211 on September 11th, 2012 at 6:41 pm said:

I got the update but it still shows 150 MB

+ JnF_Gho5t on September 11th, 2012 at 6:45 pm said:

Updated to 4.25 and cloud storage still shows 150MB

+ Irishboy3173 on September 11th, 2012 at 6:58 pm said:

same

+ Irishboy3173 on September 11th, 2012 at 7:04 pm said:

that’s what i call a bad update

+ Husteen on September 11th, 2012 at 7:05 pm said:

when was the last time the non-PS+ users got something in an update? have we been forsaken? =[

+ Morn_JP on September 11th, 2012 at 7:10 pm said:

now available

+ agentGOP on September 11th, 2012 at 7:13 pm said:

This is starting to be embarrassing.

+ Sinistar83 on September 11th, 2012 at 7:13 pm said:

I just updated to 4.25 and I rebooted my PS3 but it still shows I only have 150 Mb online storage..

Also every time I boot up my PS3 I get a message that says something (can’t remember the exact phrasing) about a game that was unable to backup to online storage because there was not enough space on the online storage… But it doesn’t tell me what game save did not back up. How do I find out so I can make room for it or prevent it from trying to be backed up every night?

Thanks.

+ Destiny89 on September 11th, 2012 at 7:14 pm said:

Um so after the update my cloud storage still says 150MB.. am i missing something?

+ Irishboy3173 on September 11th, 2012 at 7:15 pm said:

no matter what ill still be with playstation even if they mess up

+ Squall1979 on September 11th, 2012 at 7:15 pm said:

And those that do not have this need to do the upgrade because? This is like banging your damn head into a wall. FFS.

+ viceforce on September 11th, 2012 at 7:21 pm said:

I just got the new update and I don’t see a gig just the same 150mbs. Whats going on here?

+ pudgenet on September 11th, 2012 at 7:25 pm said:

It seems to me that the update is broken. I find no place where I can set the space to 1GB. I tried uploading saves to hit the 150MB limit (the NBA JAM roster file is 11MB!) to see if it would flip over to 1GB … no luck. Says I need more space.

+ LIGHTNING_FEAR on September 11th, 2012 at 7:29 pm said:

We have a problem. I also updated and no 1 gig showing either. Still shows 150 mb. I tryed resetting 3 times and no luck. I tryed saving again to cloud and it still shows 150 gb. I guess that update was a fluke.

+ OPS_GEAR107 on September 11th, 2012 at 7:29 pm said:

Nice!

+ gamer_316 on September 11th, 2012 at 7:34 pm said:

I also updated & still says 150MB is the max

+ Kaiser499 on September 11th, 2012 at 7:36 pm said:

Still only showing 150MB for me as well.

+ EricY33 on September 11th, 2012 at 7:37 pm said:

Why am I not seeing the update when so many are saying they have it. I’ve looked online and tried to update my ps3. Its not showing up. Do you have to be a plus subscriber to get it or what or is it back down since alot of people are saying there was no difference in the could storage space? Please someone help me here.

+ LIGHTNING_FEAR on September 11th, 2012 at 7:50 pm said:

Oh and before others ask, I am a plus member on my main account. I cant ever comment on here with my main account for some stupid reason. Anyways INFO needed MORGAN on what the lssue is.

+ juv1000 on September 11th, 2012 at 7:59 pm said:

no one gets it huh Morgan the update was just for support for the extra space all we gotta do is wait for sony on there end to flip the switch

+ MAB196811 on September 11th, 2012 at 8:07 pm said:

like many others here I still show 150mb after update and do not see any type of option to increase the amount in the saved data utility folder

+ PlayEvoinsec21 on September 11th, 2012 at 8:07 pm said:

@123

WOW 150 GB what are you complaining about? You are receiving 149 gb more than promised

lol JK…

+ gameperson23 on September 11th, 2012 at 8:11 pm said:

I just updated but it still says 150 mb. What’s up?

+ EricY33 on September 11th, 2012 at 8:12 pm said:

Is the update only coming up for ps+ users or should I be able to get it now so when I subscribe to plus I will be able to use the 1gb when it works? Only see 4.21 available on the website too. So what gives?

+ Irishboy3173 on September 11th, 2012 at 8:15 pm said:

ok its not going to show on the site u gotta update on the ps3 but they messed up on it

+ Syrlis on September 11th, 2012 at 8:15 pm said:

I had 35 kb of space left, so thank you for this! :)

+ hush404 on September 11th, 2012 at 8:16 pm said:

Does 4.25 come with anything except the switch to 1gb of cloud storage? I wouldn’t even think something like that would need a firmware upgrade :S It’s cloud based….

+ Fearse on September 11th, 2012 at 8:18 pm said:

I also updated and it says 150 MB

+ Fearse on September 11th, 2012 at 8:19 pm said:

Maybe Sony Forgot

+ Fearse on September 11th, 2012 at 8:20 pm said:

Also the Max Payne 3 dlc is not working ( one dlc map anyway ) for the digital version of the game.

+ MetaDragon on September 11th, 2012 at 8:20 pm said:

Still shows 150MB available space for me after the updat, also. Maybe it requires a trigger event for the count display to update like uploading a save file?

+ KILLZONE79 on September 11th, 2012 at 8:24 pm said:

My online storage still says 150mb, what gives?

+ swisstylez on September 11th, 2012 at 8:32 pm said:

finally!!!…. a good reason for keeping my ps+ membership; lately most of the offers for the instant game collection haven’t being that great :(

+ viceforce on September 11th, 2012 at 8:38 pm said:

NOW IT”S UP!!!!! I see 1024MB

+ snakeeyes211 on September 11th, 2012 at 8:44 pm said:

No 1 gb for me :-)

+ EricY33 on September 11th, 2012 at 8:44 pm said:

So my question is when will the update be available on the ps3 website? Is it only available to ps+ subscribers right now? My internet is down tonight so I’m on my phone and as someone has told me and I seen for myself the website only shows 4.21. Please someone tell me if they know when it will be on the website. Possibly later tonight. Hope so. That way I can route my internet thru to the computer and download it so its ready.

+ schmidt22 on September 11th, 2012 at 8:46 pm said:

Once you manually copy a save file on the cloud, it’ll go to 1 gig. So before you get mad on the blog, try and figure it out yourself next time.

+ EricY33 on September 11th, 2012 at 8:46 pm said:

Hey viceforce is it only avaialable to ps+ subscribers to update at the moment.

+ Fearse on September 11th, 2012 at 8:47 pm said:

Yes its working now

+ viceforce on September 11th, 2012 at 8:48 pm said:

anyone can update it if you have the PS3 but the update should only be optional since it only benefits Plus members

+ ionstorm2008 on September 11th, 2012 at 8:48 pm said:

Also if you can’t see it, shut down your PS3 and turn back on, it will show up.

+ EricY33 on September 11th, 2012 at 8:51 pm said:

I already tried that method. It still won’t give an update. Not sure whats going on.