Uncharted 4

PlayStation Plus on PS Vita Gets Timing, Set to Launch with Instant Game Collection

Brandon Stander's Avatar + Posted by Brandon Stander on Sep 18, 2012 // Director of Marketing, PlayStation Network

We announced back at Gamescom that PlayStation Plus would be coming to PlayStation Vita (PS Vita), and today we’re pleased to announce that our premium game membership will make its debut on PS Vita in November, providing an Instant Game Collection to PS Vita owners along with the same features that many of you already enjoy for PlayStation 3 (PS3).

If you’re already a PlayStation Plus member on PS3, you’re in luck—you will automatically be able to also enjoy all the PlayStation Plus features for your PS Vita at no extra cost.

PlayStation Plus features for PS Vita available in November will include:

• Instant Game Collection: Unlimited access to a regularly refreshed selection of the full versions of games as long as your membership is active.
  • Discounts: Take advantage of exclusive discounts on games and DLC for your PS Vita.
  • Online Game Storage: An additional 1GB of online storage for game saves for PS Vita games and downloaded content.
  • Automatic Updates: PS Vita will automatically start up at a designated time to download and install select game demos and game updates as well as system software updates and start standby mode upon completion.
  • Automatic Trophy sync: Trophy information will be synched to PSN servers automatically via the PS Vita.

If you don’t yet own a PS Vita, there has never been a better time to invest in the most powerful portable entertainment system. In addition to the Instant Game Collection you will be able to tap into through PlayStation Plus, PS Vita also has an arsenal of great and innovative games, like the recent hit Sound Shapes, not to mention some of the hottest upcoming titles like Assassin’s Creed III: Liberation, Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified and LittleBigPlanet PS Vita.

So tell us–What PlayStation Plus feature are you most looking forward to taking advantage of on your PS Vita?

+ lisatsunami on September 19th, 2012 at 8:57 am said:

Awesome news. I’ll have my second Vita by then, the white Liberation model which will be tricked out with my Persona 4 Solid Gold swag.

+ Bcrazyman on September 19th, 2012 at 9:12 am said:

yes sweet cant wait to get my vita any word on what games we be geting wtith the game collection?

+ saskamazon on September 19th, 2012 at 9:40 am said:

unlikely we’ll hear of the free games until they become free, as otherwise, that would hurt their sales between now & Nov. I’m hoping for Virtua Tennis …. would be a good pick up & play that I didn’t buy …. a discount on the Gravity Rush DLC would be great …. I own 14 of the Zen pinball tables – would love a discount on the others ….

the Vita is really hitting its’ stride …. possibly a strong ad campaign over the holiday period will get them flying off the shelves, as it is an incredible handheld …. & now with the crossbuy coming on All Stars & Sly, alongside + perks, could really inspire folks to purchase it. I imagine LBP V will be a system mover …. IMHO – it is currently the BEST Vita game available ….

+ Figboy on September 19th, 2012 at 10:12 am said:

I just have to buy a bigger memory card (I see what you did there, Sony!!). I have an 8gig card, but I’m debating between a 16 or 32. I think the prices are still way too high. Maybe if they drop by half. In the mean time, I’ll just shuffle things around. I already have 18 games downloaded to my memory stick, and still have a gig free.

Really looking forward to PS+ Vita. I’ve been absolutely loving it on my PS3 between sales and free titles.

+ MXJC on September 19th, 2012 at 10:18 am said:

Wooooooo!!!! Hell yea!!!!!!! I can’t wait!!!!!!!!!!

+ snakeeyes211 on September 19th, 2012 at 10:32 am said:

This is the kind of stuff that makes PlayStation the number one platform hands-down. I am so happy to be a PlayStation owner ;-)

+ Shadow_Kamui on September 19th, 2012 at 11:06 am said:

I will love that you give the option that instead of sync with the server every day we can select once a weak

+ BigFreezy1975 on September 19th, 2012 at 11:15 am said:

That is pretty cool. I’ve been waiting to try some more games… kinda have slim pockets right now… Can’t wait. Thanks guys!

+ Kchow23 on September 19th, 2012 at 11:21 am said:

Would it be possible to set multiple update times? such as updating at 6AM and then at 4PM?

+ SLICK_T on September 19th, 2012 at 11:36 am said:

Very cool news guys. Makes me want to buy a vita again in nov, maybe on black friday. Slowly things are coming together better. I love the new ps3 design to its nice and has some gloss back on it which I love. Anyways I’m usually venting on here but you guys are delivering today with all the great news. Keep it up and great job. This is a lot coming from me as I complain a lot on here in general lol.

+ NIghtweb on September 19th, 2012 at 11:50 am said:

Have to ask since you said the Playstation Plus will roll over, does the mean that the plus for vita and psn are different or plus is plus regardless of console?

+ ArchAngelMai on September 19th, 2012 at 12:02 pm said:

This is fantastic news! I changed my avatar to show my joy and appreciation!
Glad I have been holding out on grabbing some games for Vita. So far I have Touch My Katamari almost 100% and all the freebies. I have Ragnarok Odyssey Mercenary Edition preordered and can’t wait for that either. I hope we get some great titles, and the PSP idea would be cool that someone mentioned. <3

+ aka_dark_knight on September 19th, 2012 at 12:08 pm said:

Awesome!!! I was thinking about getting the Vita but was not sure. Now I’m excited about getting one!

Please keep adding to your Cross Play games list, because I have over 75 games & would like to play at least some of them on the Vita (which I think is the Best feature of the portable gaming system).

+ snakeeyes211 on September 19th, 2012 at 12:10 pm said:

I foresee the launch of a new memory card 64 gigabytes

+ TJF588 on September 19th, 2012 at 12:10 pm said:

So, any chance that PSP and/or PS minis save files will be integrated into storage? Considering the existing “cross-play” of minis, I don’t see them bowling over well if PS3 and PSV storage is separated.

And now that there’s more variety in the games we’re essentially leasing, has the option to buy-for-keeps (as much as a license can be kept) been considered yet?
Aside, there have been some ‘cash’ purchases of mine, primarily minis IIRC, that needed their licenses renewed. If PSN were to ever kaput, what would I be recommended to do if I still am using that software when it wants to renew?

+ SauceyWombat on September 19th, 2012 at 12:20 pm said:

This doesn’t mean there will be less PS3 content does it? I’m glad to hear Vita content will be added to PS+ but don’t want the PS3 content to be scaled back. I only own a PS3 and would hate to see anticipated Playstation 3 content shrink in response to the addition of Vita content.

+ igorrocks2 on September 19th, 2012 at 12:35 pm said:

Ok ,I have question.
Playstatiomn Plus subscriptiom will cobver both systems and still cost 49.99 I am correct?
Please respond.

+ iTofuMan on September 19th, 2012 at 12:52 pm said:

All i can say is finally, while other regions had this for about a month plus, i just hope its well worth the wait. Maybe ill buy into plus again as my year ran out couple months ago. Was pretty disappointed with ps3 content we were getting, so hopefully we get some good deals, games, etc for the Vita (and hopefully psp) with this.

+ MidnightReaper on September 19th, 2012 at 12:59 pm said:

@117 Yes it will.

+ chowder_07 on September 19th, 2012 at 1:10 pm said:

If I buy a PS-plus membership will it both contribute my ps3 and vita?

+ suicide5225 on September 19th, 2012 at 1:26 pm said:

I am a longtime standing Playstation fan,but instead of dating or giving a time frame for the ps+ for the psvita
why not release the rest of the psone classics and keeping the updates rolling.

I love my vita but i do feel as though its lacking in some areas

+ duke301 on September 19th, 2012 at 1:36 pm said:

This is good news. Looks like I am going to need a new memory stick for my Vita. In addition to Vita games, are you going to include PSP games as a part of the instant game collection? If so, will those still be playable on the PSP?

+ manveer26 on September 19th, 2012 at 1:41 pm said:

I know this question is out of the box but is FIFA 13 releasing for PS Vita? I REALLY want to know, so someone please answer if you know! Thanks!

+ etragik1 on September 19th, 2012 at 2:08 pm said:

I can dig it :P 50 bucks a year and always a fresh game to play. I think come november ill become a plus member… Thanx sony this will surley save me some cash

+ lisatsunami on September 19th, 2012 at 3:37 pm said:

@110, SlickT, you posted on your real acct?!!

+ T-Cal on September 19th, 2012 at 3:51 pm said:

Hmmm, it’s time to get a Vita.

+ ShardYu on September 19th, 2012 at 4:24 pm said:

I hope PS3 would have an update that would allow PS3 user to see PS Vita players if they are online and what game are they playing. On the Vita, I could see my friends who are using the PS3. I hope they could update it so that it would be a better experience.

Also, the trophy collection on the PS3. It would be better if we could also see our PS Vita trophies along side our PS3 trophies. Just like what PS Vita trophy app could do, check PS3 and PS Vita Trophies. that would be awesome! :D

+ Big_Boss_73401 on September 19th, 2012 at 4:57 pm said:

I’d like to see PS3/PSN games playable on the PS Vita such as Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episodes 1 & 2, The Simpsons (Arcade Game), etc.

+ Shatgan on September 19th, 2012 at 5:32 pm said:

AMERICA F— YEAH! :D

+ Jackal888 on September 19th, 2012 at 6:34 pm said:

Good job! I still want a Vita with this news I have one less hurdle to make it happen. Now those memory prices are still too high. I can’t see flash memory costing so much. The Memory Is Too Darn High!

+ sleepy92 on September 19th, 2012 at 7:02 pm said:

I love my PS Vita. I’m completely satisfied with my purchase.

+ YoungDavid77 on September 19th, 2012 at 8:06 pm said:

Cool

+ Spooby07 on September 19th, 2012 at 8:45 pm said:

Finally a reason for me to buy a 32 gig card for my vita!

+ mrbeast_ on September 19th, 2012 at 9:24 pm said:

I cannot wait for November! I also cannot wait for the PS3 titles to come out that will also us to download the PS Vita version! woooooooooooot!

+ Regor91 on September 19th, 2012 at 9:31 pm said:

Sweet! I’ll be getting Plus any time now. The deal is just getting sweeter and sweeter now that it’ll be on vita too.

+ solidusnake877 on September 19th, 2012 at 10:18 pm said:

instant game collection? its decided, befor the end of the year ill be getting a ps vita :)

+ Cloud_X1 on September 19th, 2012 at 11:15 pm said:

Morgan Haro, mind telling the people at Sony, or whoever works on improving the PSVita, that we nee FOLDERS for our Vita bubbles. The 3DS already got folders for its games and apps.

+ Cloud_X1 on September 19th, 2012 at 11:16 pm said:

Instant Game Collection on PS3 is what pushed me to get PS+ so great job guys! The more the mirier.

+ Cloud_X1 on September 19th, 2012 at 11:17 pm said:

mearier?

merier?

marier?

+ cowmamba on September 20th, 2012 at 12:01 am said:

I sure hope we get a good selection of titles to try out. With many games not having demos and no screenshots or videos within the PSN on the Vita, it’s extremely hard to judge what games might awesome and which games that might not be of interest to certain people. With the ability to sample the games like on the PS3, I think it’ll help people determine what they would like to purchase. I know it’s going to be a big thing for me.

+ donkeypunch12312 on September 20th, 2012 at 3:15 am said:

Thank you god PS+ is now on vita im having a seizure over what free titles they gave for they gave for the ps3 will be playable through the PS VITA! (Walking Dead,Borderlands, and Space Gotham City Imposters, and Warhammer 40k Space Marines) Those would be epic cross play titles!

+ ceedub2 on September 20th, 2012 at 7:06 am said:

One Question. I have Plus already so Ill get it at no extra charge. But lets say my friend has a PS3 already and buys a vita and plus after the Plus launch. Does that mean he’ll pay more for plus withPS3 and Vita because he bought it after the fact?

+ TwinDad on September 20th, 2012 at 7:36 am said:

@Ceedub2

Same price for plus covers both systems and there has not been a price hike for plus still $50/year or $17.99 for 3 months.

+ ElektroDragon on September 20th, 2012 at 9:18 am said:

Lumines and Gravity Rush for instant game collection, please!!!

+ DasRequiem on September 20th, 2012 at 9:33 am said:

this is so good!
time to get a vita now.
I wonder what games will be part of the instant game collection from the start.

+ JinZX1 on September 20th, 2012 at 9:49 am said:

Nice addition. I’m pretty sure I’ll be getting the Liberation bundle next month.

+ Pikmologist on September 20th, 2012 at 11:50 am said:

Will Vita online storage be separate from PS3?

+ BlueBl1zzard on September 20th, 2012 at 1:11 pm said:

Those of you asking about the Vita game saves and if you can copy them without copying the entire game, I have this idea submitted on PS Blog Share. Please vote!

+ SsJ_Naruto-Vash on September 20th, 2012 at 1:25 pm said:

@147 I hope not, otherwise you wouldn’t be able to continue your cross-play games, like PSASBR…

+ NeoPaladin on September 20th, 2012 at 4:01 pm said:

OH boy! Even yet ANOTHER reason I’m amped to have my Vita!!! Oh, AND to be a PS+ member :D

Thank you SONY!!!