PS4-Infamous

TGS 2012: Smaller, Lighter PS3 Model Unveiled

John Koller's Avatar + Posted by John Koller on Sep 18, 2012 // VP of Marketing - Home Consoles and Handheld Platforms, SCEA

Tokyo Game Show is always an exciting time for gamers everywhere, as we all look forward to new games and other news being unveiled during the show. This year is no exception. We are always looking for ways to create better experiences for our gamers, and to that end, we just unveiled a smaller, lighter PlayStation 3 at the show.

PlayStation 3

The new PS3 will be available in two different models, with 250GB and 500GB HDDs which will allow you to store even more of your digital life. It also features a smaller, streamlined design that will look great as part of any entertainment system. The new model is approximately 25% smaller and 20% lighter than the current PS3.

In order to maintain the superior gaming experiences that you expect from us here at PlayStation, we are always looking for ways to change and evolve with your gaming behavior. You might remember the smaller models that we launched for PlayStation 2 and PSP (PlayStation Portable), and we know that many of you love the opportunity to add these streamlined models to your home. Additionally, as developers continue to release deep and rich digital gaming content, providing an option for larger HDD is essential, especially for games with large DLC packs, and full game downloads, as well as personal entertainment content. The biggest and best games live on PS3 this holiday season, and the new PS3 is the perfect way to play.

We are also excited to announce that the launch of this new PS3 model will include incredible additional value. The 250GB PS3 will be available on September 25th for $269.99 (MSRP) as part of a limited edition bundle featuring UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception: Game of the Year Edition and a voucher for more than $30 worth of bonus digital content for the highly acclaimed digital title, DUST 514. This bundle offers more than $70 in total combined value.

New PlayStation 3 Bundle

The winner of over 60 industry and Game of the Year awards, UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception will be re-released next week in an all new Game of the Year Edition, which includes 12 new multiplayer maps, over 40 multiplayer skins, Fort Co-Op Adventure, and Shade Survival Mode, a value of over $45 in bonus content. In case you somehow missed it, UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception is the latest installment in Naughty Dog’s storied UNCHARTED franchise that chronicles the adventures of Nathan Drake. UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Game of the Year Edition is a great way to kick off your gameplay experience on the newest PS3 model.

UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Game of the Year Edition will also be available as a standalone title on September 25th for $39.99 (MSRP).

CCP Games’ DUST 514 brings intense infantry combat, large-scale warfare and deep character advancement to PS3 in an exclusive free-to-play massively multiplayer shooter. Set in, and integrated with, the massive universe of EVE Online, players wage war in the next generation of first-person shooters, where a single victory could prove the crushing blow to a galactic empire of thousands of online gamers. This bundle includes an incredible amount of bonus value – more than $30 in total.

For those of you who do not own a PS3 yet, or have been looking to add another PS3 to your household, this is the perfect opportunity to jump in before the next wave of blockbuster games launch this holiday season.

PlayStation 3

The new 500GB PS3 will be available in a limited edition bundle on October 30th in conjunction with the release of Assassin’s Creed III – one of the most anticipated games for this holiday season featuring four exclusive levels, only available on PS3.

PlayStation fans – let us know what you think of the new PS3 model. Stay tuned for more PlayStation 3 updates here on PlayStation.Blog!

PAGE 1 2 3 7

+ yazter on September 18th, 2012 at 9:35 pm said:

The design looks amazing. But seriously, with Move, PSEye, Headset dongle and 2+ controllers, why have only two USB ports?

I never understood the logic..

+ Emerald_Swords on September 18th, 2012 at 9:36 pm said:

My god that’s amazing! I gotta get one!!!

+ vanwinkle on September 18th, 2012 at 9:36 pm said:

Wait, so you are actually having a price raise? LOL oh Sony.

+ Nightmare142 on September 18th, 2012 at 9:36 pm said:

Do you get the stand with the bundle?

John Koller's Avatar

+ Maya Butler on September 19th, 2012 at 10:41 am said:

The stand does not come with the bundle unfortunately

+ Chase167 on September 18th, 2012 at 9:36 pm said:

why not have at least 1 usb port in the back of the ps3

+ D-Squad3 on September 18th, 2012 at 9:37 pm said:

I wanna see how it looks in action!

+ DopeMunky3 on September 18th, 2012 at 9:37 pm said:

It Looks nice, like really nice. But speaking about games, I can’t help but feel depressed about All Stars. I feel like trying it will be the only way to know for sure, but it just doesn’t seem like it’ll be as fun as I want it to be. I’d really want to see how it is on my Vita too because wouldn’t the characters be too small?

+ Chase167 on September 18th, 2012 at 9:37 pm said:

why not have at least 1 usb port in the back of the ps3
btw i can due with out that dust game

+ xCh0z3n-0n3x on September 18th, 2012 at 9:37 pm said:

Pretty Slick

@1…you know you dont have to have them all plugged in at once right? there’s no need for all those ports.

+ DeadFable on September 18th, 2012 at 9:37 pm said:

Looks great but if it really has a disk tray. I would rather have the older slim model.. and just like yazter said why only 2 USB ports???

+ tirminyl on September 18th, 2012 at 9:37 pm said:

Actually interested in a price drop as I would like to purchase another PS3. Guess I won’t be doing that for the foreseeable future.

+ D-Squad3 on September 18th, 2012 at 9:38 pm said:

White PS3 for NA?

+ Revollution_E on September 18th, 2012 at 9:38 pm said:

That actually looks pretty nice. Very Sleek design . i might get the 500gb model for more download space

+ ultimatepunchrod on September 18th, 2012 at 9:40 pm said:

I’m pretty sure the $169.99 is for the bundle, not the same as a stand alone system.

+ CyPhErLoUs on September 18th, 2012 at 9:40 pm said:

That looks even more sexier than my GIMPED UC3 SLIM WITH NO LED LIGHT ON THE EJECT BUTTON! >:(

Why does my brother’s PS3 have the LEDs on both power and eject buttons but not mines?

+ BLipp17 on September 18th, 2012 at 9:40 pm said:

so…where does the disc go? does the top pop open like the PS2 slim, or slide to the left, instead of having a slot that you feed discs to?

John Koller's Avatar

+ Maya Butler on September 19th, 2012 at 10:43 am said:

The top slides to the left, that is where the disc will go

+ GhostMachine1 on September 18th, 2012 at 9:40 pm said:

U.S. white ps3 please. plan to get another ps3 and white would look great in my living room. :)

+ Xcaligamer1 on September 18th, 2012 at 9:40 pm said:

is disk input more like ps1/ps2 slim or more like ps3 is now? either way might just gte my cousin one for christmas

+ PocaSunga on September 18th, 2012 at 9:40 pm said:

Since my FAT one YLoD’d, I didn’t buy a new one.
Guess this is my new choice until Next Gen in 2013.

+ skepsipol on September 18th, 2012 at 9:41 pm said:

Why on Earth would you get the 250GB bundle when the 500GB bundle is only $30 more?

+ NeoUltima on September 18th, 2012 at 9:41 pm said:

What about the thing on top? How does it open/work?

+ Chase167 on September 18th, 2012 at 9:42 pm said:

sony will lose this year holiday
raising the price
when we they learn

+ Chaoz on September 18th, 2012 at 9:44 pm said:

Awesome! Making me want one!

+ Hitokiri_03 on September 18th, 2012 at 9:44 pm said:

Price raise LOL Nintendo Smiles

+ Sean_Pierce on September 18th, 2012 at 9:45 pm said:

Love the cover of UC3 GOTY edition. The new PS3 look compromises between the classic look and the current, which I love.

2 USB ports is a shame though, like one said, I have a lot of PS3 accessories to charge with.

Two bad I already own all these, just looking at them makes me wish I didn’t.

+ xxnike629xx on September 18th, 2012 at 9:45 pm said:

I am excited for this. Good to see a new chance for me to add another PS3.
Just a bit disappointed with a few things.

1. was expecting a lower MSRP to compete with Wii U
2. wanted at least 1 USB port on the back to connect the PS Eye to.

+ Sean_Pierce on September 18th, 2012 at 9:45 pm said:

And man I hope they mention PlayStation Move Support for RESIDENT EVIL 6!!!

+ FredNation on September 18th, 2012 at 9:48 pm said:

Finally announced! But there’s no cheaper model? No 12 GB model like SCEJ? I already have a 500 GB HDD! When can we expect the 12 GB model to come to America’s soil?

+ Heavenly_king on September 18th, 2012 at 9:48 pm said:

it looks really nice, but in my house there are already 4 PS3 :D

+ QuantumMercury on September 18th, 2012 at 9:49 pm said:

It actually looks really nice. I might grab one for a 3rd PS3!

+ guitarded77 on September 18th, 2012 at 9:49 pm said:

Thank’s for streaming TGS on the blog :P

I have to watch it on niconico. :/

Really should stream TGS pressers with translation.

+ NeoUltima on September 18th, 2012 at 9:52 pm said:

Can the HDD be swapped out with another 2.5” SATA just like the older models?

+ Dark_Rezo on September 18th, 2012 at 9:53 pm said:

Good news but for me the great notice is Uncharted 3 GOTY!!!
I hope see more surprises for PS3 in this TGS.

+ PS_man1984 on September 18th, 2012 at 9:53 pm said:

The price is a bit higher, but the system is bundled with a game and DLC voucher. A $20 price increase for those items is worth it.

+ PS_man1984 on September 18th, 2012 at 9:54 pm said:

Is this just a limited edition model? I see that the 500GB AssCreed 3 bundle is limited edition.

+ PrinceofXIII on September 18th, 2012 at 9:56 pm said:

i should have waited on the game of the year edition instead of a 2nd copy!!!!!!

it’s a shame it won’t include all of the new DLC that was released.

i would pay $60+ if it had everything that was in store from today.

still the new PS3 slim ehh i don’t like it for some reason.

i love the original slim more, maybe because of those bar things??

+ PlayEvoinsec21 on September 18th, 2012 at 9:56 pm said:

With this new and smaller design? Is there any danger for the YLOD to re-appear??

+ Dantes_Ragnarok on September 18th, 2012 at 9:58 pm said:

Looks like a VHS to me…
I own one of the original 60 GB models (since 2008) and that was the best design imo.

+ KazeEternal on September 18th, 2012 at 9:58 pm said:

What an eye sore this thing is…. Anyway Next PlayStation please please please 4+ USB ports with at least 2 in the back.

+ Papa-Wheelie on September 18th, 2012 at 9:59 pm said:

PLEASE tell the world that the processor and RAM have been upgraded?
Nothing worse then system freezing during game play cause random frame rate drops.
This happens to the PS3 slims a lot!

+ california_Teddy on September 18th, 2012 at 10:00 pm said:

Will it be backward Compatable?

John Koller's Avatar

+ Maya Butler on September 19th, 2012 at 10:45 am said:

The new PS3 model is not backwards compatible

+ jchill001 on September 18th, 2012 at 10:00 pm said:

my ps3 just got the yellow light so i might get a new one

+ supvic on September 18th, 2012 at 10:00 pm said:

This explains why “eject disc” was changed to “remove disc” in firmware 4.20, I guess this new PS3 has a pop open drive like the Slimline PS2.

but LOL those corrugated lines on top look like the inside of cardboard boxes. Should’ve kept the original fat PS3 design but made it smaller, it looked perfect as it was.

+ Kchow23 on September 18th, 2012 at 10:02 pm said:

Will it be $200 without the bundle? and I am not to keen on the lid instead of slot.

+ Jerel on September 18th, 2012 at 10:03 pm said:

Will this model have a rear USB port so I can plug in my Playstation Eye into the back of my PS3?

+ Slim02 on September 18th, 2012 at 10:03 pm said:

Why do people not see that the new PS3 now has a tray and not a slot or top loader.. it is not that hard to see at the photo on the top. the very first photo of the PS3..

+ PS_man1984 on September 18th, 2012 at 10:04 pm said:

Where does the disc go? I really hope it’s not top-loading, because that would be horrible. This isn’t the year 1995. Slot-loading drives are the future.

+ shrimpdude on September 18th, 2012 at 10:07 pm said:

Am I the only one who thinks this thing looks horridly ugly?

+ WakizashiM on September 18th, 2012 at 10:14 pm said:

Bring the white model to North America !

+ JuniorPS on September 18th, 2012 at 10:18 pm said:

Hate the new design. Looks cheap. Those grooves on top may (and will) collect dust. The price jack, I think, is for now. Come Black Friday the bundles will be gone and the core system will be $200 (that’s $270 minus U3 $40 and Dust $30 voucher). Hopefully.

PAGE 1 2 3 7