Sep 20

Three Ways to Play Starhawk, Available on PSN Next Tuesday

Dylan Jobe's Avatar Posted by Dylan Jobe on Sep 20, 2012 // President, LightBox Interactive

As many of you know, the team here at Lightbox Interactive has been hard at work developing all of the free Starhawk Updates to help support the Starhawk Community. With today’s announcement, we’ll help grow that community even more with something that a ton of players from around the world have asked for — a digital-download version of Starhawk, and not just the original version, but one that is packed with all of the awesome updates we’ve made since our initial release!

Starhawk Now on the PlayStation Store

Yeah, you saw that right. We now have three, three ways for you to download the exact type of Starhawk experience you’re looking for on September 25th!

First you can get the complete Starhawk experience by downloading the Full version for $39.99. Another option — and this is an insane deal — is the Starhawk: Multiplayer-Edition for $19.99. This includes one of the best PlayStation 3 multiplayer experiences and all of the updates we’ve released since the game originally launched.

Last, but certainly not least, is a another killer deal for all PlayStation Plus members. You guys get the Starhawk: Single-Player Campaign for free. Yeah, that’s right, free.

And because I’m a tease, I’ll leave you with this: We have something else very tasty in store for PS Plus Members, so keep your eyes on the blog for another announcement very soon.

But wait… there’s more. As you know just about a month ago we released the Starhawk 1.03 Update that had a ton of new features, including two completely new — and free — maps on the planet of Cypress. The team and I were so stoked to see how happy the Starhawk community received it, that we’re excited to release our Starhawk 1.04 Update on September 25th with more free awesome-sauce, including three new gameplay modes!

Okay, so those are the new hella-fun gameplay modes, but there is a ton of other stuff in the Starhawk 1.04 Update as well. We’ve been following all of the community feedback and we’ve made a large number of changes. In my last blog post I wrote this massive wall of text covering all the various new things we added. So this time, I’m going to try and be more efficient on what should matter to you most.

• 3 New Gameplay Modes: Assault, Deathmatch Arena, Gatekeeper.
  • 5 New “Small” Maps: Cypress Glade, Space Relay, Scourge Junction, Space Flotilla, Scourge Breaker.
  • Updated pre-placed pick-ups on all maps (just like we did in Cypress) as well as updated Rift Barrel placement.
  • 3 New Build & Battle Load-outs: Trooper, Lightweight and Speeder.
  • New Tool-Tips are displayed on various options and buttons in the Uplink. including a display of all the units in each Load-Out and recommended player counts when you create a new game.
  • MAW Rocket Launcher now can lock-on to the Sidewinder Jet Bike.
  • Added four New national clan banners for our players in the Middle East: Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Israel and the UAE.
  • Quit Penalty for players that quit during a game — you get a loss posted and SkillScore hit.
  • New “Up Next” display at the intermission screen of what map, mode and load-out is coming up in the next round.
  • More score-limit and time-limit options when creating a game.
  • All three new game modes are added to QuickMatch for matchmaking.
  • Co-Op Prospector is now supported in Quick-Match for matchmaking into public Co-Op games.
  • New Co-Op Prospector options for creating Private or Public games, difficulty, and game name.
  • Public Co-Op Prospector games now are supported in the server-list.
  • Bug fix that ensures that only Clan Leaders/Officers can edit the clan tag field.
  • Added a PlayStation Store button to the Uplink for accessing Starhawk DLC.
  • Increased starting Rift-Energy in Homeworlds.
  • Slightly increased the Galloway Pistol’s head-shot damage.
  • Removed the “Bruiser” Skill.
  • Added a “Grinder” Skill that allows you to start with a Grinder in your weapon inventory.
  • Grinder wind-up time has been reduced.
  • Max range for the Grinder has been increased.
  • In the server-list, the easy “Cake” and medium “Fist” game icons have been removed. You will still see the hard “Skull” game icons.
  • Refined difficulty tuning on all Co-Op Prospector Missions (slightly easier).
  • Increased XP payouts for all Co-Op Prospector Missions.
  • XP payouts for capturing Tier-2 and Tier-3 bases in the Zones gameplay mode.
  • Integrated Starhawk-specific network scan to help players resolve port issues.
  • Added in-game scoreboard HUD for Dogfight & Arena Deathmatch gameplay modes.

Blurg! Even with my super-effective condensing, the list of new stuff is still looooong — but that’s a good thing for the Starhawk community! If you want the extended version of this list with all the juicy details, head on over to our LightBox Interactive Dev-Blog or the official website at Starhawkthegame.com.

Oh man, still so much to talk about. Focus Dylan. FOCUS!

If you remember back in May when we released Starhawk, I wrote a blog post about our close partnership with Major League Gaming to put together a major Starhawk Tournament for the community with great cash-money prizes. Well our good friends at MLG have been hard at work and I am wicked-excited to say that it’s “GAME-ON” for the Starhawk MLG Tourney, with $20,000 in cash prizes. Head over to the Starhawk MLG site for all the rules and details! Whatever your competitive level, there is an entry spot for everyone, and a number of different opportunities to win.

Starhawk MLG

The Starhawk MLG Tourney is a two-month long tournament with $20,000 in cash prizes at stake for not only the grand champions, so listen up. The primary tournament will revolve around an official Starhawk MLG ladder. The more you win across all online game modes, the higher you’ll rank on the MLG Starhawk ladder. At the end of this two-month phase, the top 16 ranked players will be chosen to form two “Super-Teams” who will battle it out in a live-streamed grand finale, with eight players crowned the victors of the Starhawk MLG Tournament!

As a secondary option for all players to win, the MLG has also been really cool about planning four mini-competitions along the way for smaller $500 prizes. These “quick challenges” will take place over various weekends and award players with the highest score for a particular stat such as “Most Headshots” or “Most Pod Kills.” This is a great way to increase a player’s odds of winning a piece of the big cash prize.

So, get ready for the Major League Gaming Starhawk Tournament, go hone your skills and keep your mind on your money and your money on your mind!

“But Dylan… what about Starhawk DLC?”

Don’t worry! While we have been focusing on making sure we get you guys all of the free content first, we certainly didn’t forget about the DLC — we have a truck load of it ready to go live for all of you on September 25th as well.

However, as I’ve already established in this blog post, I am sometimes a tease. So… I’m not going to list any of the DLC just yet. We’ll make another blog post about it very soon! Let me leave y’all with this one DLC hint. Here’s a piece of concept art showing a couple different design ideas for our new DLC Build & Battle structure. I’m not going to tell you what it does but I can say it’s awesome.

Starhawk Build & Battle Concept Art

I wonder what it could be?

+ tapantaola on September 20th, 2012 at 11:28 am said:

Please tell your colleagues at Naughty Dog to release a downloadable version of Uncharted 3 Multiplayer! Thanks in advance.

+ Pikmologist on September 20th, 2012 at 11:28 am said:

I’m really thankful that PS Plus exists. I don’t regret getting it at all. I wanted to try this game back when it came out, but I couldn’t afford it at the time then naturally I forgot about it. Now I can try the campaign and see if what I think of the game. I might buy the Multiplayer is I like the game enough. Thank you guys once again for taking good care of PS Plus members :)

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 11:33 am said:

Sounds like a great plan!

Give the game a shot cause it’s not like most shooters out there!

+ Dua1-Blade- on September 20th, 2012 at 11:28 am said:

Amazing! I’m 3 months in on my 12 month sub. Too early to renew? lol

+ BlazingAce197 on September 20th, 2012 at 11:32 am said:

I have multiple question, please respond to this!

1. Will the Single Player offer for PS plus members have trophies? If so, will it have a platinum?
2. Will the single player campaign count towards next month of the Instant Game Collection, or is it just be an “extra” for this month?
3. What’s the GB size of the Single Player Campaign?

Please respond to these questions, as I’m very interested in this!

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 4:57 pm said:

Hiya BlazingAce197!

#1 — Yes, it uses the same Trophy list as the BD retail version. So if you want to get the Plat, you will need the Multiplayer Edition as well to unlock all the trophies.

#2 — I honestly don’t know. That’s not my department :-/

#3 — It is approximately 9.5 gig

Hope you get a chance to check it next week!

+ Ryumoau on September 20th, 2012 at 11:34 am said:

@49, oh i understand now. i kinda feel there are games taking up the IGC that i’m not interested in either (Double Dragon, Scott Pilgrim, Outland, BloodRayne….basically all of the side scrollers).

I would rather there be more variety in the IGC, which is why i’m strangely interested in seeing a shooter added after so many side scrollers.

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 5:59 pm said:

I’m glad to hear that you are strangely interested!

Starhawk is not like most shooters so It should be a breath of fresh air!

+ Ryumoau on September 20th, 2012 at 11:36 am said:

@53, i’m also curious about your second question. I thought we were only getting Borderlands, Scott Pilgrim, and Double Dragon for this month. Its nice to see a new free game, but i hope this isn’t taking a slot for October’s games. I’m thinking its an extra.

+ SpaceNun on September 20th, 2012 at 11:38 am said:

I’m not going to give you guys brohugs just yet and cry and say how sorry I am for what I have done but this looks more like the team we once knew.

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 11:42 am said:

uhmmm…. thanks?

We’re still the same ‘ol team that does our best to look-out for the player!

But as always, check it out and make up your own mind. We don’t want to “hype” players into liking it, we want to give players real value and updates so they like it because it is truly worth liking!

+ MakoSOLIDER on September 20th, 2012 at 11:39 am said:

I just took this off my wishlist a couple days ago, now its for good reason. Will download the single player and when im done with it buy the multiplayer, great job guys!

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 4:57 pm said:

You are more than welcome — hope you like it when you download it next week!

+ Robbie_G_lrish on September 20th, 2012 at 11:44 am said:

This is just great all around. My brother’s blu-ray drive died so he can only play digital games. I’ll be sure to hurl this information in his face the next time I see him.

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 4:58 pm said:

Dont hurl it too hard!!!

Just bruise him a bit with the information ;-)

+ SpaceNun on September 20th, 2012 at 11:45 am said:

Please look into a CTF mode toggle at some point and don’t forget team balancing. Also, pilfer Sony for more map money any way you can.

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 4:59 pm said:

Ha! I think the term “pilfer” should become an official term when doing business in the game industry ;-)

We were actually having a conversation today about updates to improve team balance — we’ll keep you posted!

+ Gadirok on September 20th, 2012 at 11:47 am said:

Truly amazing! You guys took care of most of the problems and my friends problems too with one update!

I can’t believe bruiser is gone! And I loved the grinder, now you guys are promoting it! A+ work! A+

I hadn’t played starhawk in a month, (sorry guys, I had a huge backlog of R&C collection, Infamous collection, SotC). Gotta come back now! To see all this action!

AND 3 new gameplay modes! 3! You guys are the best!

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:01 pm said:

No need to apologize!!!

Those are some damn good games there in you list. And I too know what it’s like to be facing a pile of games and not enough time to play them!

+ Gadirok on September 20th, 2012 at 11:51 am said:

I’m so glad that LBI supported this game!

I was originally contemplating either getting Starhawk at launch of Twisted Metal, but couldn’t decide. I only had money for one.

Putting down $67 is alot when your unemployed :(

I chose Starhawk because I loved the beta. It was the most fun I had on my PS3 since I got it, and got me into TPS since starwars battlefront.

Regardless, I got twisted Metal anyways for the Sweet Tooth skin, but I’m just glad that devs like these support the game.

Other companies could learn alot from you guys!

I’m so happy you added in matchmaking for co-op. Now I’m gonna be able to play with my friends and finally convince them to buy this game.

I just have one last request. Homeworld servers? Please?

I’m so lonely :( Nobody is ever on echo scrapyard .

+ WillySJ3 on September 20th, 2012 at 11:52 am said:

Starhawk Single-Player Campaign for free??? So much win!!!!! And I´m absolutely buying the MP for that price ;)
Thanks SONY, keep making the Plus subscription worth every penny.

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 5:00 pm said:

And trust me WillySJ3… there’s more awesome in store for PS Plus Members!

Keep an eye on the blog!

+ DeathGazer on September 20th, 2012 at 11:54 am said:

Now that is an awesome PS+ freebie. Thanks Sony!

+ insano_jaco on September 20th, 2012 at 11:57 am said:

Naughty Dog dropped the ball with that awful Fortune Hunter Season pass with skins, avatars and recicled maps.

When multiplayer comes to the table, LightBox Interactive is the best dev team with Sony right now! I know you all are doing the best you can, and I know for sure that Starhawk will become the best online multiplayer for PS3, easy. For me, it already is!

I’m playing since the first beta and I bought it day 1, and I’ll keep supporting LBI, amazing job!

My only request is: please consider a Vita cross-controler DLC. The uplink already happen in a tablet equipment, there is no other game in PS3 that fits better this feature than Starhawk with all Build&Batle system, it would be a perfect fit. Maybe a quick chat with guys at Bluepoint Games? :)

+ Alan2500 on September 20th, 2012 at 11:57 am said:

Will this also be for the europen plus useres? If not im going to be sad :(

+ AguilarX on September 20th, 2012 at 11:59 am said:

I just bought this new right now on amazon even though i am a plus member. hope you’re happy

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 12:12 pm said:

Yes I am — thank you for your support!

+ Gadirok on September 20th, 2012 at 12:01 pm said:

Also, can you guys take over the servers for Twisted Metal and fix those up and add dlc to them?

You guys used to be part of Incognito and have probably worked on Twisted Metal before so it only seems fitting if you guys fixed up the game where Eat, Sleep, Play lacked.

+ islankleinknecht on September 20th, 2012 at 12:06 pm said:

Is there still lots of baserapings in this game?

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:11 pm said:

There are far fewer than there used to be — for sure!

But as with any shooter, theres always more “base-ravaging” that we’d want… because we want ZERO!

We are always working on ways of getting closer to that goal!

+ HEAVY7666 on September 20th, 2012 at 12:10 pm said:

Well, Dylan

I think the new B&B structure is gunna be a base Evolution type feature or should I say DeEvolution
the concept art looks great
Starhawk has been my go to game since beta .. and I look forward to all the
goodness that you guys have in store for us.

So looking forward to losing in the MLG tourney . .It’s gunna be Awesome
(So many great players gunna be rollin . .and I imagine Orsen is already a finalist)

Thanks for the update, it really wasn’t to long at all ..

All that is left is to figure out how many sick days I have at work and start my
Set up for time off to play STARHAWK

cough. . sniff

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 5:13 pm said:

Hey HEAVY7666!

Thanks for the kind words and continued support!

You — as PS Plus Member — should definitely keep your eyes on the blog for more tasty Starhawk stuff ;-)

+ Celsus on September 20th, 2012 at 12:15 pm said:

Ok, like that there is new B&B…perhaps one day there will be some vehicles that require more than one player (the old boss vehicle idea of yor). I know that some did not like the dropship, but some did and that APC was in high demand.

+ shawnely on September 20th, 2012 at 12:21 pm said:

All games should come out with these options. There are some of us that only want the multiplayer experience and will skip on even trying a game if the cost is $60 or don’t buy it.

+ stlthriot on September 20th, 2012 at 12:22 pm said:

This is great! I’ve been wanting to play the single player campaign of this game! :D
Perfect for the fall/winter! Thanks!

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 5:14 pm said:

So glad we could brighten up your autumn & winter!

+ angibri2000 on September 20th, 2012 at 12:25 pm said:

Noice!!! Ever since I got PS+ I have more games than time unfortunately. =( But you can rest assured i’ll be getting the single player and more than likely multiplayer down the line once my game queue shrinks. BTW, I agree with you Dylan. LBP Vita ROCKS!!!! And also, being part of the PSASBR Beta on Vita I am stoked with the amazing games I am starting to see on Vita. Definitely don’t regret being a day 1 Vita owner. Thank you guys and Sony for listening to us gamers. Keep making great games! =)

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 5:17 pm said:

Oh yeah — this round of Vita games is just sick!

I’ve been fortunate enough to get my little paws on PlayStation All-Stars on Vita and PS3 and it’s crazy fun. And the Vita version is every bit as tight as the PS3 version!

Its another great game to drop this holiday!

+ DrApollo on September 20th, 2012 at 12:43 pm said:

+ Hellowutsup5 on September 20th, 2012 at 12:52 pm said:

Wow this is great!
I wish I would have known though, that it was gonna be for download, and for $20 less then I pre-ordered it for……just saying.

+ MAXIMO273 on September 20th, 2012 at 12:54 pm said:

Awesome news Dylan ,and everyone at Lightbox. I played the beta back before the game came out ,but i had a hard time swallowing the fact of buying 60 to even 40 bux for a game that was just mainly multiplayer.

But i’ll definitely be grabbing the mutliplayer edition for 20 since the single player is free. Wish more games would take this sales model. I rather be given the option to buy what i want out of the game ,or buy the whole thing. This is what should of been done with KZ3 ,but oh well hopefully when KZ trilogy comes out all 3 games will be PSN downloads as well.

Now you guys just need to get some Vita & Move support into this game ,and i’d be a real happy camper

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:12 pm said:

Really glad to hear that you’re going to jump into the fray and join the Starhawk Community!

+ spideyal on September 20th, 2012 at 1:07 pm said:

Holy Dynamite rolls! I’ve been saying Sony should do this for ages now! I hope to see this happen to all games released on the PSN/SEN eventually. More options to play games how you want to. Also, free single player for PS+? That’s just amazing.

+ YungShep on September 20th, 2012 at 6:56 pm said:

Had a hunch something like this was in the works…..REALLY GLAD I WAITED! For once i get something free that ive wanted since release. Muchos Gracias, i will be supporting the multiplayer. Its all about player-choice and i really appreciate the option to get the multiplayer as a stand-alone title. All developers should do this. I bet Call Of Duty single player wouldnt sell.

And Dylan YES! I got LBPVita and it is extremely filled with lots of awesomesauce. every must buy if you own a Vita.

+ YungShep on September 20th, 2012 at 6:58 pm said:

Hey i live in Austin too :) i was at your tournament last year, u signed my Sharpshooter

+ camiwaits_us on September 20th, 2012 at 7:14 pm said:

Cool announcement. It might be enough reason to renew my plus membership.

+ er910 on September 20th, 2012 at 7:29 pm said:

Ya’ll gone bring me back this game. Assault and Arena look like modes I want to play. Thank you LBI.

+ Shatgan on September 20th, 2012 at 7:29 pm said:

Seems like a sword to me.

+ s0ckm0nk333y on September 20th, 2012 at 8:01 pm said:

As a pre-release purchaser and PSN member, it looks like I overpaid to the tune of $40 for this sucker.

+ Celsus on September 20th, 2012 at 8:46 pm said:

Perhaps I should ask…will there be multi player vehicles someday?

+ Shouper2273 on September 20th, 2012 at 10:07 pm said:

wow, you reminded me, call sONY and get the beta gifts! keep forgeting.

also, do we have to have PS+ day 1 or we can`t go back and get the gifts you speak of? or can we just get the PS+ 1 day after for example and still be entitled on the awsomeness?

I`m going tommarrow to get a PSN card with Star Hawk written all over it!

I`ll leave my other questions for the forums :D

+ USRevenge2 on September 20th, 2012 at 10:53 pm said:

Not bad,
I heard the game was co-op from a friend ( we both been sorta waiting for it to be $20 or so)

so, if the game is co-op, does the single player for PSN+ members get that? if not, does the multiplayer buy come with it?
if I am a plus member and get single player, and buy the multiplayer… do I get 2 different “apps” or do they magically combine into 1, or can plus members get them combined for $20 >.>

+ Vidarcr on September 20th, 2012 at 10:56 pm said:

This is great, loved the beta, but with my financial status couldn’t buy the game, I think I should buy the full game just to support you guys, the mp is a blast and a lot more people should be playing it.

+ DazeOfWar on September 20th, 2012 at 11:10 pm said:

First off I really want to commend you on your responses for this post. This is the best I’ve seen on any post.

Now as a Plus member this is a cool deal but the only problem for me is that I thought the single player portion of the game was terrible. Bad story tacked onto a training ground for the multi-player. Would have rather seen the MP portion given out to Plus members but what can I say.

Seeing all the support you have given this game may make me buy the MP portion since I traded off my retail copy a little after release. The games were empty a lot and I really got tired of constantly being wiped out right when I spawn because of a Hawk. I also didn’t care for the idiots on your own team destroying our defenses because they wanted to build there own Hawk station instead of use the one 10 ft away.

Overall the MP was fun and I just may get back into it again.

+ cheta85 on September 21st, 2012 at 12:13 am said:

Now this is why PS Plus is the best offer in digital entertainment history. I dont know how people can even go elsewhere while Playstation is offering so much. Thanks again guys

+ LordRaoh on September 21st, 2012 at 1:17 am said:

I’d love to see options like this for more games.

+ quietturtle on September 21st, 2012 at 3:26 am said:

Hi and good day starhawk / Dylan Jobe
Im like wwwhhhooo about hearing / seeing on free single player campaign for playstation plus members i just got a question though. Now I’m sorry if you answered this question already if you have just disregard it wwwhhhooo :) if you haven’t here is my question. My question is can we use the sweet tooth skin ( twisted metal limited exclusive ) or the starhawk beta reward add ons in the single player campaign or just in the full version ? Thank you thank you taking time to read my comment and your help in this matter wwwhhhooo :)

+ Major_Hoare on September 21st, 2012 at 5:56 am said:

I want to toss my hat into this ring and say thanks to you guys at LB interactive for really going all out on Starwak with the post release DLC support free maps and now this! I played and enjoyed the beta but afterwards Starhawk slipped off my radar as my backlog of games piled up. Will be renewing my PS+ for you guys! Loving it!!!

+ Lohverz on September 21st, 2012 at 1:36 pm said:

How come there’s no demo of Starhawk in the PlayStation Store for those of us still trying to decide if the game is for us?

+ o-Sweetz-o on September 21st, 2012 at 3:24 pm said:

“The SP and MP versions do not share content the way you outlined. That would certainly be a very efficient way to do it but unfortunately that kind of functionality is not available to us :-(”

So why not just make the full version available to Plus members for $20 then? Because right now you’re making your Plus members more or less download the same game twice and have it take up twice the amount on their hard drive if they want to have the full game without paying more for it than they should need to. You want to make things more convenient for your subscribers, not less. Did no one seriously think of this?

+ ReptileHand on September 21st, 2012 at 3:33 pm said:

Hmm! Not interested! and my Plus runs out this saturday. Not renewing! Too many games and I hardly ever play them (I play my bought games more than the ones I “rent” for free. I like the new discounts on DLC and would’ve bought the BL1 DLC if I wasn’t getting BL2 :p

I’m glad that DLC is somewhat getting some love in PS+ plus. Free would be good.

But now that MP is happening a little bit more on PSN, can we have Mass Effect’s 3’s multiplayer? I played the demo awhile back and it was insanely fun and addicting (I’m a huge fan of wave based co-op). I could probably just go out and buy the full game but I have yet to beat Mass Effect 2. Would love to see an option for ME3 multiplayer though at some point in the future.

+ Shouper2273 on September 22nd, 2012 at 6:55 am said:

@USRevenge2, Co-op will be in multi-player (95% sure) since if you are not connected online, all you can do is exlprore MP maps, and the campeign. co-op needs to be connected (aswell as HomeWorlds and MP) online.

they are also adding co-op the ability to be a privet game (the way we have it now) or a public game. If its a public game you may see it in the gam,e lits, you can also use quick match and enter a co-op public game.

+ Techdecker283 on September 22nd, 2012 at 12:40 pm said:

Nice. I already own the disc, but would we be able to download the multiplayer part without paying or would that be an extra fee. P.S since my friend has plus and can get $20 to $30 if he does his chores then i will tell him about this. He really wants to play it

+ Bcrazyman on September 22nd, 2012 at 8:58 pm said:

hey this is great news i got bthe game and i really love playing it its really awsome!
also i thought is was free?
playstation said it was gonna be free! what happened!
need to know ok thanks!

+ gameperson23 on September 23rd, 2012 at 8:25 am said:

Awesome! I’ve been wanting to play this game for a while now! Is the multiplayer edition always available for $20 even with the free single player version and is there a discount?