Final Fantasy VII Remake

Sep 20

Three Ways to Play Starhawk, Available on PSN Next Tuesday

Dylan Jobe's Avatar Posted by Dylan Jobe on Sep 20, 2012 // President, LightBox Interactive

As many of you know, the team here at Lightbox Interactive has been hard at work developing all of the free Starhawk Updates to help support the Starhawk Community. With today’s announcement, we’ll help grow that community even more with something that a ton of players from around the world have asked for — a digital-download version of Starhawk, and not just the original version, but one that is packed with all of the awesome updates we’ve made since our initial release!

Starhawk Now on the PlayStation Store

Yeah, you saw that right. We now have three, three ways for you to download the exact type of Starhawk experience you’re looking for on September 25th!

First you can get the complete Starhawk experience by downloading the Full version for $39.99. Another option — and this is an insane deal — is the Starhawk: Multiplayer-Edition for $19.99. This includes one of the best PlayStation 3 multiplayer experiences and all of the updates we’ve released since the game originally launched.

Last, but certainly not least, is a another killer deal for all PlayStation Plus members. You guys get the Starhawk: Single-Player Campaign for free. Yeah, that’s right, free.

And because I’m a tease, I’ll leave you with this: We have something else very tasty in store for PS Plus Members, so keep your eyes on the blog for another announcement very soon.

But wait… there’s more. As you know just about a month ago we released the Starhawk 1.03 Update that had a ton of new features, including two completely new — and free — maps on the planet of Cypress. The team and I were so stoked to see how happy the Starhawk community received it, that we’re excited to release our Starhawk 1.04 Update on September 25th with more free awesome-sauce, including three new gameplay modes!

Okay, so those are the new hella-fun gameplay modes, but there is a ton of other stuff in the Starhawk 1.04 Update as well. We’ve been following all of the community feedback and we’ve made a large number of changes. In my last blog post I wrote this massive wall of text covering all the various new things we added. So this time, I’m going to try and be more efficient on what should matter to you most.

• 3 New Gameplay Modes: Assault, Deathmatch Arena, Gatekeeper.
  • 5 New “Small” Maps: Cypress Glade, Space Relay, Scourge Junction, Space Flotilla, Scourge Breaker.
  • Updated pre-placed pick-ups on all maps (just like we did in Cypress) as well as updated Rift Barrel placement.
  • 3 New Build & Battle Load-outs: Trooper, Lightweight and Speeder.
  • New Tool-Tips are displayed on various options and buttons in the Uplink. including a display of all the units in each Load-Out and recommended player counts when you create a new game.
  • MAW Rocket Launcher now can lock-on to the Sidewinder Jet Bike.
  • Added four New national clan banners for our players in the Middle East: Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Israel and the UAE.
  • Quit Penalty for players that quit during a game — you get a loss posted and SkillScore hit.
  • New “Up Next” display at the intermission screen of what map, mode and load-out is coming up in the next round.
  • More score-limit and time-limit options when creating a game.
  • All three new game modes are added to QuickMatch for matchmaking.
  • Co-Op Prospector is now supported in Quick-Match for matchmaking into public Co-Op games.
  • New Co-Op Prospector options for creating Private or Public games, difficulty, and game name.
  • Public Co-Op Prospector games now are supported in the server-list.
  • Bug fix that ensures that only Clan Leaders/Officers can edit the clan tag field.
  • Added a PlayStation Store button to the Uplink for accessing Starhawk DLC.
  • Increased starting Rift-Energy in Homeworlds.
  • Slightly increased the Galloway Pistol’s head-shot damage.
  • Removed the “Bruiser” Skill.
  • Added a “Grinder” Skill that allows you to start with a Grinder in your weapon inventory.
  • Grinder wind-up time has been reduced.
  • Max range for the Grinder has been increased.
  • In the server-list, the easy “Cake” and medium “Fist” game icons have been removed. You will still see the hard “Skull” game icons.
  • Refined difficulty tuning on all Co-Op Prospector Missions (slightly easier).
  • Increased XP payouts for all Co-Op Prospector Missions.
  • XP payouts for capturing Tier-2 and Tier-3 bases in the Zones gameplay mode.
  • Integrated Starhawk-specific network scan to help players resolve port issues.
  • Added in-game scoreboard HUD for Dogfight & Arena Deathmatch gameplay modes.

Blurg! Even with my super-effective condensing, the list of new stuff is still looooong — but that’s a good thing for the Starhawk community! If you want the extended version of this list with all the juicy details, head on over to our LightBox Interactive Dev-Blog or the official website at

Oh man, still so much to talk about. Focus Dylan. FOCUS!

If you remember back in May when we released Starhawk, I wrote a blog post about our close partnership with Major League Gaming to put together a major Starhawk Tournament for the community with great cash-money prizes. Well our good friends at MLG have been hard at work and I am wicked-excited to say that it’s “GAME-ON” for the Starhawk MLG Tourney, with $20,000 in cash prizes. Head over to the Starhawk MLG site for all the rules and details! Whatever your competitive level, there is an entry spot for everyone, and a number of different opportunities to win.

Starhawk MLG

The Starhawk MLG Tourney is a two-month long tournament with $20,000 in cash prizes at stake for not only the grand champions, so listen up. The primary tournament will revolve around an official Starhawk MLG ladder. The more you win across all online game modes, the higher you’ll rank on the MLG Starhawk ladder. At the end of this two-month phase, the top 16 ranked players will be chosen to form two “Super-Teams” who will battle it out in a live-streamed grand finale, with eight players crowned the victors of the Starhawk MLG Tournament!

As a secondary option for all players to win, the MLG has also been really cool about planning four mini-competitions along the way for smaller $500 prizes. These “quick challenges” will take place over various weekends and award players with the highest score for a particular stat such as “Most Headshots” or “Most Pod Kills.” This is a great way to increase a player’s odds of winning a piece of the big cash prize.

So, get ready for the Major League Gaming Starhawk Tournament, go hone your skills and keep your mind on your money and your money on your mind!

“But Dylan… what about Starhawk DLC?”

Don’t worry! While we have been focusing on making sure we get you guys all of the free content first, we certainly didn’t forget about the DLC — we have a truck load of it ready to go live for all of you on September 25th as well.

However, as I’ve already established in this blog post, I am sometimes a tease. So… I’m not going to list any of the DLC just yet. We’ll make another blog post about it very soon! Let me leave y’all with this one DLC hint. Here’s a piece of concept art showing a couple different design ideas for our new DLC Build & Battle structure. I’m not going to tell you what it does but I can say it’s awesome.

Starhawk Build & Battle Concept Art

I wonder what it could be?

PAGE 1 2 3

+ ARMY_GREEN1 on September 23rd, 2012 at 4:05 pm said:

I hope this update is good. The last one was amazing!!! Thanks for making the maps free again. But i still think Warhawk is a little better than Starhawk.

+ SnakEyez91 on September 24th, 2012 at 2:25 pm said:

If you guys can make a few more cothing pieces (Helmets for rifter and Heads for outcast, tortso, pants, hands and deff accessories) that be cool too lol. Also any chance of puttin in a cinema mode or picture mode? ive gotten some once in a life time good snipe kills. shot someone out of a hawk and tank lol

also a new DLC vehicle would be cool too. Paid i guess. It could be a truck. one big enough to hold 5-6 players to bring to enemy territory and drop them off there. to help change things around. Maybe till work, maybe it wont. also is it possible to have an option when choosing what to build to press up on the D-pad to choose an upgrade? (for example… Triangle to select the wall. you have standard wall, then hit up on D-pad to choose gate) instead of waiting for it to spawn, then upgrade? it be alot faster. and also the last thing would be making a dodge or roll option.. like when sprinting, press and hold sprint and then Circle to dodge, or shoulder roll out of the way. (would really help against getting run over by sidewinders)

if ya cant, ya cant. but anyways awesome update i really cant wait for this update. Starhawk and Uncharted 3 are having the best updates lately. its awesome!!!!

+ AndysPants on September 25th, 2012 at 8:05 pm said:

Hmm, I think I may have accidentally bought the $10 pass version instead of the $20 multiplayer version. Why did you put the $10 pass next to the free single player in the Plus section Sony!?!? What were you thinking???
Will the $10 pass be sufficient for multiplayer or can I somehow get a refund so I can buy the correct item? Any advice?
I just hope they fix this before others make the same mistake. Plus the pass description says simply “Access all online features of Starhawk!”
So frustrated if I just wasted $10.

+ timothy496 on September 28th, 2012 at 11:39 pm said:

I also bought the $10 pass based on the description. I called customer service today.
I was told my request for a refund had to go to another dept for consideration. Within two weeks I’ll get an email from the refund reviews of their decision.
The csr felt fairly confident I would get a refund. In general, if you buy something by mistake, you typically wouldn’t use it. During the refund review process they’ll see you didn’t use (take advantage)of the incorrect purchase and usually issue the credit back to your psn acct OR credit card.

+ CorvaXcore on October 1st, 2012 at 6:59 am said:

I have a question… if I buy the pass online for plus member, can I play coop or multiplayer online with the free single campaign?

sorry for my bad english :$

+ THEHAWK3986 on October 17th, 2012 at 8:14 pm said:

I have Playstation PLus and I have downloaded the massive StarHawk file. I was wondering will you guys be releasing a way for those who have already downloaded free game to unlock the multiplayer mode instead of another download. I have the online pass and Im waiting patiently for starhawk single campaign to play online..

+ Satnamji on September 20th, 2012 at 1:07 pm said:

With the trend toward downloadable titles on the rise, I really hope to see more of this separating the single player from the multiplayer, regardless of whether any part of it is offered free to Plus members.

As a casual gamer, I usually can’t keep up with other players in online shooters, so I avoided this game when it was released (though the look of it and gameplay interested in me) because there seemed to be a big emphasis on the multiplayer aspect of the game, which I’m sure is great–just not my cup of tea.

Looking forward to the SP campaign. Keep it coming, Sony! And thanks!

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:13 pm said:

I agree — providing players a variety of purchase options is a good thing!

+ D-Squad3 on September 20th, 2012 at 1:23 pm said:

Wow this is crazy.

+ Neil on September 20th, 2012 at 1:24 pm said:

The single player is all I wanted to play.

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:13 pm said:

And now you get it for FREE!!

+ Stringer2355 on September 20th, 2012 at 1:41 pm said:

Will there be a discount price for Playstation Plus Members ?

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:14 pm said:

we’ve got more in store for PS Plus Members so keep your eyes on the blog!

+ blakseed on September 20th, 2012 at 1:45 pm said:

This is brilliant. A great way to get more people into the game.

+ CrashSpyro on September 20th, 2012 at 1:52 pm said:

So I can basically get Starhawk for $20 with the PS+ offering of the campaign? That’s great. I haven’t played the game in a while, so I’d love to have the PSN version to more easily get back into the game.

+ aro52 on September 20th, 2012 at 1:53 pm said:

Hell yes! Keep it up PS+.

+ JMB626 on September 20th, 2012 at 2:03 pm said:

Although you cannot tell us what the DLC is, could you tell us the price of the DLC is on Tuesday?
So that i know whether or not I will be buying the DLC or another game?
(I intended to get Borderlands 2 tomorrow, but if SH DLC is more than $10 then i’m getting that instead)

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:16 pm said:

I can’t talk about the price but I *CAN* tell you that SONY has done an excellent job with the pricing of the Starhawk DLC and our approach to how we handle DLC to keep the player community together is going to be a hit with players I think!

+ o-Sweetz-o on September 20th, 2012 at 2:05 pm said:

“Its important to note though, that the SP and MP versions are separate apps”

So if you’re a Plus sub. and get both, are you basically downloading the game twice and having it take up twice the space on your hard drive? Because obviously there’s a lot of shared content between SP and MP. Or are the separate versions smart enough to share content files?

Keeping them as separate apps seems inefficient – especially given PSN’s less than desirable download speeds. Why wouldn’t you just offer a Plus member only $20 discount on the proper full version so we just have one download? It’s great that you’re giving the SP campaign away for free, but for people who want the full game, you’ve actually made things LESS convenient for Plus members. That needs to be addressed.

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:18 pm said:

Hi 0-Sweetz-o!

The SP and MP versions do not share content the way you outlined. That would certainly be a very efficient way to do it but unfortunately that kind of functionality is not available to us :-(

+ JMB626 on September 20th, 2012 at 2:06 pm said:

Also is the digital version the same trophy list or a different trophy list similar to KZ3 Digital Multiplayer trophylist?

+ Kchow23 on September 20th, 2012 at 2:07 pm said:

So why would anyone buy the full game, when they get the campaign for free and just have to pay for the multiplayer?

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 2:53 pm said:

that’s a good question!

Not everyone is a PS Plus Member — crazy i know!

So they may want to download the full game.

+ sekaniy on September 20th, 2012 at 2:16 pm said:

Awesome!!! But how can we play any other games if you keep added awesome free content?!??

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:19 pm said:

LOL — that sounds like a great plan!!!

+ bigjosh50 on September 20th, 2012 at 2:18 pm said:

How much memory does the Single Campaign of Starhawk require?

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:21 pm said:

approx 9.5 gig

+ lisatsunami on September 20th, 2012 at 2:34 pm said:

Very generous, thank you. I will pick up the single player campaign.

But, Dylan, not nice reminding us digital buyers that we don’t have LBPV yet.

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:21 pm said:

Oh just go out and get LBP… your Vita is craving it!!!

+ dmanjj2 on September 20th, 2012 at 2:38 pm said:

This is great!!! I already had the game from day one, but with these options, the community will grow faster! And not to mention the new updates to play with. Thanks LBI!!! Please keep supporting us!!!

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:22 pm said:

We love supporting our players — glad you liked what we had in the update!

+ Astro411 on September 20th, 2012 at 2:45 pm said:

How do you guys make any money if everything is free?

Dylan thank you and the entire LBI team for the great job you’re doing.

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:25 pm said:

Good question!

We always put a lot of thought into the business model, because it is after all, a business. But we firmly believe the best business is to provide the player with good support and a good game — that’s job #1.

So if you like the solo campaign — which you get for FREE because you are a PlayStation Plus Member — maybe you’ll give the Starhawk Multiplayer Edition a try or some of our super-tasty DLC!

+ DaZetheMaZe on September 20th, 2012 at 2:52 pm said:

This is how its done, thank you Lightbox and Sony for working together to do something that makes so much sense. This is a great value also 3rd person shooters are my favorite, but never got to pick this up though I loved the beta. Sometimes “There can only be one” lol. I commend you guys and gals, and can’t wait to be apart of the Starhawk community.

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:26 pm said:

Cant wait for you to join us and the intense Build & Battle combat in Starhawk!

+ freshprincepbg on September 20th, 2012 at 2:53 pm said:

Is this a taking up a spot in the Instant game collection? I’m glad Plus is actually giving me something I’ll play, but I prefer full games over half games

+ freshprincepbg on September 20th, 2012 at 2:54 pm said:

Also what are the trophies like in Single Player?

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:27 pm said:

The Trophy list is the same that we used for the full retail version. They reward stuff for mission completion, how you complete a mission, etc.

+ detictiveconan on September 20th, 2012 at 2:57 pm said:

Crap, I saw this earlier on the EU blog and was really hoping it wouldn’t come over hear. I played the beta and hated it. Now it’s going to take up a slot in our instant collection and not even include they only reason anyone plays it,the multiplayer. Do you really think anyone plays online shooters for the story? This might as well just be a demo and should not take up a spot in the PS+ schedule .

Frowny face :(

+ Heavy_1984 on September 20th, 2012 at 3:01 pm said:

Some can tell me if the multiplayer is region lock? I live in brazil and a have some credits in UK account, if it is region lock I won’t be able to play it because the lag :(

+ TBShark on September 20th, 2012 at 3:14 pm said:

I have kind of boycotted the game…I love seeing all the things that have and are coming out for it, but I am disappointed I never received the items for playing/owning warhawk or the beta of Starhawk…tried to fill out the form from the website multiple times and no answer. I Don’t know how else to contact anyone except via here. Would be nice to here ssomething, my roommate is the same, never That his in game items but it hasn’t stopped him from putting in countless hours since he is level 50

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:29 pm said:

Well that sucks — DM me on Twitter and I can get that fixed for you!

+ ToFeY on September 20th, 2012 at 3:54 pm said:

aaah plus why do u hate me? xD i bought starhawk recently & now the single player campaign will be free?

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:30 pm said:

Dont worry — even if you already own the game, there is more awesome Starhawk benefits in store for all of the PlayStation Plus Members!

+ mattybwbafc on September 20th, 2012 at 4:43 pm said:

Hello i am from the UK and want to know if this will also be coming to the European PlayStation store as I really want to play this game.

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:30 pm said:

Sure is!

+ MrBeatdown on September 20th, 2012 at 4:45 pm said:

I’ve been wanting to get this. I’ll definitely give the free version a go. I think I’ll hold out for a disc version for the multiplayer though.

+ Crunch1500 on September 20th, 2012 at 4:51 pm said:

This is freaking awesome!!! I’m So exited I hated the bruiser perk it was so annoying

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:31 pm said:

Yeah, it was very OP.

We tried nerfing it but it just really had to get the axe to help balance the game.

+ GhostMachine1 on September 20th, 2012 at 4:56 pm said:

I’ve been following news from you guys since Warhawk on PS3, when you were Incognito. Always release great DLCs and seem like solid dudes! Thanks!

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:31 pm said:

+ Recon4242 on September 20th, 2012 at 5:06 pm said:

If I have a retail version of the game, can i download it for free or do i have to repay for it?
Becasue it would be nice to keep the whole game on the hard drive!
Keep it coming!

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:33 pm said:

Hi Recon4242!

Sorry, its doesn’t do that :-/

+ Shelby221 on September 20th, 2012 at 5:13 pm said:

How will trophies work if I have the single player only? Can I buy the online edition and then have access to the platinum? Or do I have to buy the full package upfront to have access to the platinum?

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:34 pm said:

You can earn Trophies with the SP version and then if do decide to try MP, you can download that and it uses the same Trophy list. This way you can unlock those too and get a Plat!

+ ChronoClown on September 20th, 2012 at 5:20 pm said:

LightBox has been absolutely amazing, keep up the good work you guys! Makes me proud to be an Austinite ;)

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:34 pm said:

Rock on fellow Austin Gamer!

+ Optimizm on September 20th, 2012 at 5:28 pm said:

Hey Dylan,

Great news! This is really a nice deal, indeed. I would like to know since PS+ gets single player for free, is it feasible for us to be able to pay $20 and just get the full game? Or does it have to be 2 separate downloads? Thanks in advance.

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:35 pm said:

in the case you outlined, it would be two downloads.

+ Optimizm on September 20th, 2012 at 5:41 pm said:

Sorry, I should have read the prior posts. I see that both SP and MP will be separate apps. I’m guessing that the SP portion will be treated like any other free content — once your subscription lapses you will no longer have access to that SP content. Correct me if I’m wrong.

If that is the case, I believe I’ll just spring for the $40 full version. I can’t see myself letting my sub lapse, but never know these days.

Thanks again for the great offers and content for PS+. It is indeed a spectacular service and more than worth the price of admission!

+ jason_ac on September 20th, 2012 at 5:42 pm said:

Holy $&%#!

With all these steps, you might just put Starhawk through the roof finally! I hope you do.

You’ve got to get the word out though.

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:35 pm said:

I would love that to happen!

+ MikLSP on September 20th, 2012 at 5:55 pm said:

This is amazing news. A superb update and even better marketing.
I seriously hope the same deal comes to SCEE!

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:36 pm said:

Oh yes, the same deal is available for the PS Plus Members in Europe!

+ TJF588 on September 20th, 2012 at 6:13 pm said:

Looking at your replies to people here (excluding me, which admittedly I’d do the same), you guys are alright. Shame I’m basically opposite to Ryumoau (@55), since I even prefer when platformers have no shooting mechanics, but every genre (or genre blend) deserves good, impassioned team working in them.

+ Dylan Jobe on September 20th, 2012 at 6:37 pm said: