PS4 - Destiny

Final Fantasy III Coming to PSN Tuesday

Charles McCarter's Avatar + Posted by Charles McCarter on Sep 21, 2012 // Product Manager, Square Enix

Final Fantasy III on PSN

PlayStation fans are no strangers to the FINAL FANTASY brand, and have continued to be devoted supporters over the series’ 25 year history. Last fall, we brought two additional classic entries in this franchise to the PSN catalog as part of our Winter of RPGs campaign.

This time, I’m here to help close out summer with a bang. The list of numbered FINAL FANTASY titles available on the PlayStation family of consoles has been incredible, but alas, it has also been incomplete. That changes on September 25th, with the release of FINAL FANTASY III on PlayStation Network.

Now, PSP owners will be able to experience a piece of FINAL FANTASY history as they embark on a journey with the four Warriors of Light — Luneth, Arc, Refia, and Ingus — as they battle to save the world from being engulfed in Darkness. A dangerous mission, to be sure; to accomplish their task, they will need an incredible set of skills.

Final Fantasy III on PSNFinal Fantasy III on PSN

FINAL FANTASY III was the first installment in the series to include the now-famous Job System. While this band of heroes starts out as Freelancers, with time, they will each be able to learn one of 23 different jobs! Use the healing spells of the White Mage to protect your party, harness the negative energies of the world as a Dark Knight, or turn the environment itself into a weapon as a Geomancer. These are but three of the many options available — there’s a multitude of incredible of job combinations for your party. Mix and match until you find the combination you like best!

But there’s more! New features for the PSP version include: graphics optimized for the 16:9 screen, an image gallery, an option to switch to the original BGM, and an auto-battle system that doubles the speed of combat.

FINAL FANTASY III debuts on PSN September 25th. Download it, complete your FINAL FANTASY collection, and then start figuring out what you want your Warriors to be when they grow up. Oh, and say hi to Cid for me when you see him!

110 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ G-Force08 on September 21st, 2012 at 11:02 am said:

Looks great! I have been waiting on this. But here’s the important question now: Will it work on the Vita?

+ Wario64 on September 21st, 2012 at 11:03 am said:

Will it be compatible with Vita?

+ Butters360 on September 21st, 2012 at 11:05 am said:

If this works on PSVita then I’m sold.

+ Wario64 on September 21st, 2012 at 11:05 am said:

Also, what’s the price?

+ ExpressImpress on September 21st, 2012 at 11:05 am said:

Awesome. Now, we just have to figure out some way to convince Square-Enix to release the PSP versions of Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II. We have Origins, which is nice, but it’s no substitute for the PSP releases.

+ DJKim0701 on September 21st, 2012 at 11:06 am said:

Vita compatible and price.

+ Ageguyera21 on September 21st, 2012 at 11:07 am said:

Can I play this on my Vita?

+ Falaut on September 21st, 2012 at 11:07 am said:

Great. Now please release the PSP remastered versions of I and II on the NA PSN.

+ Figboy on September 21st, 2012 at 11:08 am said:

Go back to GAF, Wario!

And, yeah, I wonder if it’ll be Vita compatible as well. Lol.

+ ArchAngelMai on September 21st, 2012 at 11:09 am said:

Nice that this got ported to PSP, but honestly I played it on DS and it was a pretty terrible FF. Thanks for the gesture SE, but no thanks, where is my FF Type-0????

+ domrael_psvita on September 21st, 2012 at 11:11 am said:

Will it be on vita? and where is type-0? had even forgot this one already…

+ iriihutoR84 on September 21st, 2012 at 11:13 am said:

Does it work on the Vita?

Also, more importantly, what happened to Final Fantasy Type-0???

+ chemerie on September 21st, 2012 at 11:13 am said:

If this is a PSP game, will it be compatible with PS Vita?

+ Borshay on September 21st, 2012 at 11:13 am said:

Vita compatible please ^^ Also, I’d love to see the PSP remasters of Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II on the North American PS Store. It would be amazing to have Final Fantasies I – IV on the Vita to go along with the FFs from PSone Classics.

(Once FFX HD comes out, having FF1 – 10 on the PSV would be sweet)

+ UltimaDestroyer on September 21st, 2012 at 11:17 am said:

This is all well and good, but for God’s sake bring us FF Type-0!!!! I BEG you! Even without an English dub! Just get it over here!!!!

+ CecilMcW00t on September 21st, 2012 at 11:19 am said:

Please tell us the price. I need to know how many PS Network cards I need to get…

+ TomHoang on September 21st, 2012 at 11:20 am said:

This game is the last of the numbered Final Fantasies that I haven’t played. Nice to finally be able to do that. I also hope this is compatible on the Vita for people who prefer to play it that way, although I prefer PSP games on the PSP myself.

+ Sonicfan11589 on September 21st, 2012 at 11:23 am said:

SO MANY GREAT GAMES RELEASING OVER THE NEXT 2 WEEKS:
9/25:
Final Fantasy III
Dead or Alive 5
Hell Yeah!
LittleBigPlanet Vita
Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2 Classics)

10/2
Sonic Adventure 2 HD
Nights into Dreams HD
Resident Evil 6

I know there are more games.

+ Sonicfan11589 on September 21st, 2012 at 11:24 am said:

Just a quick question if it could be answered?
What ever happened to Derrik the Deathfin, it was to release this past summer?

+ KazeEternal on September 21st, 2012 at 11:25 am said:

@Charles McCarter – SquareEnix
3 Questions:

1) Vita Compatible?
2) PS3 Version with Cross Play?
3) Where is Final Fantasy Type-0?

Also please stop making FFXIII spin offs.

+ OvertechBroch on September 21st, 2012 at 11:25 am said:

My prediction is that it will be $30 and compatible with Vita. I remember not liking it much on DS, but I am tempted to get this just to fill out the collection.

+ tanuki-hulk on September 21st, 2012 at 11:33 am said:

It is 3300 yen in Japan. So about 4000 bucks.

+ khailcon on September 21st, 2012 at 11:33 am said:

I don’t want to have to keep asking about Vita COMPATIBILITY. The Vita should be the lead platform now. I want my games to not only be compatible almost a year into the Vita life cycle, I want them to be OPTIMIZED for the Vita.
Everyone on here asking for Vita support paid for the next gen. Sony portable. I want people to be asking “Is this PSP compatible?”

+ Apeman24 on September 21st, 2012 at 11:37 am said:

PLEASE ANSWER. Will there be a physical copy for purchase? I am the kind of person who likes the box and stuff, I have been trying to collect all of the final fantasy games, and this one has never been released on a sony platform so I refused to get it until I heard it was coming on psp, but I could wait for a physical copy. PLEASE MAKE A PHYSICAL COPY IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. One more thing will there eventually be a V and VI psp version? So I can complete my collection. (except for XI that one does not count in my eyes they should have called it FINAL FANTASY ONLINE)

+ Gorvi on September 21st, 2012 at 11:38 am said:

The burning question on everyone’s mind: Will it be Vita compatible?

+ boomstickbhg on September 21st, 2012 at 11:44 am said:

PSP… that must be a typo right?

All the other numbered games got a proper PS classic release so why not this one.

I’ve been waiting a long time to play this game, but I’ll only be playing it on my PS3 like the rest of the FF games that have come out. (other than psp originals).

Will it be a Vita playable game at the very least? That might make it worth trying at some point.

PSP is old folks, get with it already. How many people like me already traded the PSP in when Vita came out…

Plus again, why psp? 1,2,4,5,6,7,8,9 are all on the PSN as PS1 classics, why the sudden drastic change?

+ JumpMan33 on September 21st, 2012 at 11:51 am said:

Its good to see this coming over, but I already played FF3 on another system. I still have my hopes for Type-0 making it over to the US.

+ hungcanh19 on September 21st, 2012 at 11:51 am said:

Will buy. But as a collector, is there any chance we can get a physical copy as well?. I don’t mind buying two version.

+ Monterossa on September 21st, 2012 at 11:51 am said:

Is it the same as Japanese version? Japanese dubbed and English text?

+ OnionKnight11 on September 21st, 2012 at 11:51 am said:

Will there be a UMD release or is it just digital only?

Also are there any plans for a PlayStation 2 version of Seekers of Adoulin?

+ Squiggle55 on September 21st, 2012 at 11:52 am said:

I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see Square Enix bothering with whatever lengthy, ridiculous, time-wasting, exploit hunting process SCEA has in place for PSP games that want to be flagged for transfer to Vita.

+ gemuvan on September 21st, 2012 at 11:53 am said:

— Download it, complete your FINAL FANTASY collection —-

Yes MASTER!!!!

Wait. I’ve already played it on iOS, DS and Android. OMG!!! What should i do?

+ su43berkut17 on September 21st, 2012 at 12:00 pm said:

what happened with type-0? please scea, bring type-0 to north america, we cannot lose one of the best rpgs on the psp!!!!! also, how much will this game cost, will it be vita compatible?

+ DuoMaxwell007 on September 21st, 2012 at 12:01 pm said:

cant wait.. I have FF1, 2, 4 (and 4 another story), 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 on psp and PS1 (and of course 10, 11, 10-2, 12, 13 and 13-2 on their respective platforms), three has been the only one Ive been missing and wanting for the last 15 years.. I will DEFINITELY be getting this to complete my collection.. finally SE an FF game peopleactually WANT now give us Type 0 already (and preferably on psp not vita)

+ Monterossa on September 21st, 2012 at 12:04 pm said:

well done…

can I ask, when will we get Final Fantasy X HD ????

it’s been long enough.

+ xxnike629xx on September 21st, 2012 at 12:07 pm said:

Please bring a physical UMD release of this.

+ Satnamji on September 21st, 2012 at 12:15 pm said:

If this is the winter of RPGs, could you please offer a Dragon Age Origins ultimate bundle (with all DLC) with a price tag of $19.99? The retail disc version of the Ultimate Edition that was selling at most major retailers at that price is no longer available for the PS3, though it’s still quite plentiful for the Xbox at that price point.

I contacted EA about DA:O Ultimate Edition’s future availability for the PS3 (if more copies would be printed), but the support guy didn’t have a clue.

I could buy half an Xbox for the price of all the DA:O DLC purchased separately.

+ feelmuhpino on September 21st, 2012 at 12:18 pm said:

This has made my day…no more than that, it’s made my month! I’ve been waiting, for years, to play this on a Sony Console. When I caught wind that this was being released overseas on the JPSN, I was skeptic that we would get it at all. I’d definitely prefer a physical copy, beggars can’t be choosers! This is what I needed to justify the purchase of a 32GB memory Card. I too would like to know if its PSV compatible…not sure whether to pick up a 32GB Pro Duo or 32GB PSV card…or both! Thank you guys! =P

+ spideyal on September 21st, 2012 at 12:33 pm said:

Darn it. I came into this expecting this to be a Vita game announcement. I’ve been over my PSP for ages, and even though this can (most likely) be played on the Vita, it won’t be the same as if it were created FOR the Vita. So it’s a no go for me (especially when I already own it for the iPad).

PSP developers need to start shifting games over to the Vita.
/crying

BUT, for those who want to play this game, go ahead since it’s a good product and tons of fun.

+ buffpotato on September 21st, 2012 at 12:35 pm said:

@26 Final Fantasy III was never released on the Playstation 1. That’s why it’s not a playstation classic. All the other early titles were but not III. The real problem is that Final Fantasy IV is not a PS one classic and that title actually came out on PS One although only in NA as part of Final Fantasy Chronicles with Chrono Trigger.

+ Onvertic on September 21st, 2012 at 12:45 pm said:

Cool, but the ff psp collection is not complete though. We are still missing Final Fantasy I & II for the psp, which Europe and Japan already have.

+ boomstickbhg on September 21st, 2012 at 12:45 pm said:

@40

Yeah I get that it can’t be a true PS1 classic.

But to make the last missing game in the series into a PSP game… why not port to the ps3, if the early classics could for the PS1 how hard can it be to just make it a PSN game…

If it’s PSVita playable then all is not lost. I would get it at some point in that case just to own them all.

Otherwise it will remain the only FF I don’t have/haven’t played.

+ boomstickbhg on September 21st, 2012 at 12:46 pm said:

@41 FF 1 and 2 have been out on the PSP in North America for many years.

The most i’ve seen them charge for them in the last year + is 10$ (physical copy).

+ MoonLance on September 21st, 2012 at 12:50 pm said:

Sweet! Another Final Fantasy~ Keep note that this is a remaster, so it’s better than when it was originally released.

+ RyanSaotome on September 21st, 2012 at 12:58 pm said:

@42

I don’t really get what you’re saying… this is a PSP port of a DS game that just released in Japan. It wouldn’t even be able to play on the PS1 hardware, so why do you want it to be a PS1 classic? It was never on PS1, PS1 hardware wouldn’t be able to run a game like this (both due to graphical abilities and widescreen), and its a brand new game. What you’re asking really doesn’t make much sense.

+ FNF420 on September 21st, 2012 at 12:58 pm said:

why dont you guys stop making psp games and just make them for the vita. i would have bought this game if it had trophys and i would have paid a little more for it to.

+ AwRy108 on September 21st, 2012 at 1:00 pm said:

Needs to be on the Vita; otherwise, meh.

+ RyanSaotome on September 21st, 2012 at 1:01 pm said:

@46

PSP is still alive and kicking, and actually outselling PS3 on a normal basis in Japan. Its really no surprise that Japanese companies are still making PSP games, and they will until Japanese gamers stop demanding PSP games. Its probably the #1 issue with the Vita now is that Japan wasn’t ready for a new system yet.

+ TdawgX on September 21st, 2012 at 1:06 pm said:

@borshay, final fantasy one and 2 are in psn store, its called origins

also, i would liek to know if this will be available on the vita as well or can we purchase it with ps3 and transfur to vita. I have all the other Final fantasys on vita EXCEPT 5, for some reason that one wont transfur to the vita. YOu should make both 3 and 5 available to the vita please

also, lets get .hack series on the vita!!!!

+ jmac1979 on September 21st, 2012 at 1:08 pm said:

How about this, have someone work on putting trophies on this and call it a vita game? You could do that with other PSP games couldn’t you? That way it looks like your supporting the Vita and PSP at the same time.

PAGE 1 2 3