PS4-The Order

New PS3 Model Out Today, Exclusive First Look

Maya Butler's Avatar + Posted by Maya Butler on Sep 25, 2012 // PR Hardware Generalist, SCEA

The launch of the new PlayStation3 (PS3) has finally arrived and I hope you are just as excited as we are. Today I’m here to give you the first official look at the brand new PS3 model, plus show you all the goods inside the UNCHARTED 3 Game of the Year Edition Bundle.

As mentioned last week, this bundle is packed with incredible value. It’s available for $269, and it includes the new 250GB PS3, so you’ll have plenty of storage space to house all of your favorite games, videos, photos, and music.

In addition, you’ll get:

• UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Game of the Year Edition Blu-ray
  • Voucher worth over $30 towards Dust 514 bonus digital content
  • Additional voucher for a free 30 day membership of PlayStation Plus

PS3 continues to lead the way in innovation and is the ultimate gaming and entertainment system choice for those of you looking for the best value this holiday season. With thousands of content choices to choose from, PS3 has something to offer everyone in your entire family.

For more information, click here.

Stay tuned for more PS3 news and updates right here on PS.Blog, and we’re looking forward to your feedback in the comments.

222 Comments   1 Reply

+ BossTherapy on September 25th, 2012 at 3:51 pm said:

As far as redesigned costs for the PS3 honestly Sony now owns most of the factories outright that do the manufacturing…Its design is ok my problem is people honestly wasting their money for larger HDD.. When she clearly points out its up-gradable..I still have my original 40gig Fat and for less than 60 dollars upgraded to a 500gig HDD …the blu-ray laser burnt out I just replaced it with a new laser..Its still kicking.

So I don’t see why these days anyone should waste there money on a brand new system buy a larger hard drive and buy a used or refurbished system.. Just consider the facts that the PS3 cycle is on target for the PS4 and Xbox newer system to arrive sooner than later..Many companies are already starting to make games for these machines its a waste to buy a new system

And for the people complaining no HDMI cable your right it should come with it today. yes not everyone has a HDTV…but I go with the notion if you can afford a PS3 these days..You can afford a HDTV..If you do not have a HDTV why are you bothering purchasing a HD console..

Overall The bundle seems ok but not worth the price tag.. and for those that do buy it more power to you I just don’t see the math adding up in honest value.

+ Ces1977 on September 25th, 2012 at 3:56 pm said:

I HAVE MY FIRST PS3, THE ONE WITH 4 USB PORTS AND COMPATIBLE WITH PSONE AND PS2…. IT IS THE BEST EVER.. I ALSO CHANGED THE HARD DRIVE SO NOW I HAVE 250GB….. I WILL NEVER CHANGE IT UNLESS IT COMPLETELY BREAKS DOWN, BUT 4 YEARS WITH ME AND STILL IN TOP CONDITION

+ archieballs on September 25th, 2012 at 3:58 pm said:

I don’t see the need for a third model, yes it would make them more money than the others ‘at the moment’ but i don’t see why they would wish to spend time and effort on a new design for a system that has been out for many years when is close to bringing the playstation four. Also, what does it do that the others don’t? And don’t say it slides open because that is the worst design iv ever seen, it looks like a giant deep ridged walkers crisp for god sake.

+ BossTherapy on September 25th, 2012 at 4:08 pm said:

@ 153…
Mainly it does that because it saves them money the disc trays opening or even the old one when you insert..Have been known from times to time to break down..Mainly the more mechanical moving parts the more likely something tends to break or malfunction…honestly no matter which version they are usually decent machines that tend to not break down.. I have no idea either why out of the blue they redesigned..obviously found a more cost effect design..but its so late in there cycle of dev it makes no sense to me

+ ProudSlayer on September 25th, 2012 at 4:11 pm said:

Where can I buy it?
I live in Massachussetts and NO store around me is selling it, when I ask them about the new PS3 version they just stare at me like I’m crazy and have no idea what I’m talking about.
I thought this was supposed to come out today, NOT EVEN Gamestop has an answer for me.
So please, will someone tell me what’s going on? Am I the only one who didn’t get it for not being available in stores?

+ BossTherapy on September 25th, 2012 at 4:18 pm said:

@155

I have no Idea perhaps try online like amazon or go to gamestop online and check it out there.. Gamestop does receive there shipments on Tuesdays so if they didn’t get it today try next week or call them on Thursday or Friday..sometimes those things come special delivery mid to end week…But I didn’t know anything about it till I saw the announcement today.

+ ChasOnay on September 25th, 2012 at 4:21 pm said:

Hmmm, Looks Okay I Guess! I May Just Buy Another PS3 To Put In My Living Room. Well, Hopefully Around Black Friday, The Price Will Be $199.99. Nice Bundle As Well!

+ LegacySpOrT on September 25th, 2012 at 4:25 pm said:

Did she say 1st time ever upgradble hard drvie? I thought it has always been upgradable I have upgraded it twice now once in the fater PS3 and 2nd time in the slimer PS3.

+ Neofire on September 25th, 2012 at 4:30 pm said:

That sista is fine lol…..oh sorry OT, the new ps3 slim looks ok, i got a OG fat and ref. slim though :)

+ silverdragontear on September 25th, 2012 at 4:42 pm said:

i just want one that will play my ps2 games plus my ps3 games having to chaing out just to play games sucks. if any of u know how to make mt ps3 play the ps2 games please let me know ty all

+ Eastcoastghost25 on September 25th, 2012 at 5:10 pm said:

@ 155 I was looking to buy one today too but gamestop didn’t have it. I’m thinking it got released in limited quantites today in selct major cities someone from Miami was able to snag one from gamestop. Hopefully worst case scenario is they get stock friday or next tuesday even though this just a revison it’s still a hardware launch which is harder than a regular game release, at least thats what i’m thinking.

+ DarkPyroZXA on September 25th, 2012 at 5:17 pm said:

looks sexy, i would get it but i recently already replaced my regular sized 80Gig PS3 (that lasted 5 years and outlasted 3 Xbox 360′s and a Wii) for the slim 320Gig PS3, so i have no reason to get the super slim version any time soon

+ Flashback-XCIII on September 25th, 2012 at 5:17 pm said:

Not going to lie, it does look nice. but, its just a remake of the slim line PS3 with reduced size/weight difference and new disc tray. I was happy with the original PS3. I think maybe instead of brining new versions of the current system, you should start thinking about the next big thing to hit the gaming market.

This is just my personal opinion.

+ Allanvm37 on September 25th, 2012 at 5:39 pm said:

got mine 2 hours ago

+ BionicSkillz on September 25th, 2012 at 5:42 pm said:

Maya Butler is the most beautiful looking Playstation exclusive I’ve seen!

+ hdavis27 on September 25th, 2012 at 5:47 pm said:

No offense to sony , but I love my 320gb ps3 slim. I think it was great as it was, but this slim looks a bit cheaper. WIth it being smaller, will it have many cooling issues with those small rear vents , or disc tray issues? Nice i guess you could say, but I’ll stick to my PS3 Slim.

+ hdavis27 on September 25th, 2012 at 5:49 pm said:

DarkPyroZXA , see I bought the same console, its very nice, after having it, I’d never consider this super slim.

+ PrinceofXIII on September 25th, 2012 at 6:00 pm said:

i really don’t like the new PS3 Slim :(

+ Diabolic702 on September 25th, 2012 at 6:04 pm said:

I don’t particularly like the new design for the disc tray. it just seems like it can get damaged easier. The hard drive seems alright, but I have the 320 GB so i’m not crying. The 500GB set to come out soon seems awesome though!

+ Cloudmv on September 25th, 2012 at 6:26 pm said:

Its frustrating because if i would of known with time i would of waited on purchasing the 320 bundle on sept 14th and would of bought the 500gb model. Failure – sony

+ Challenger313 on September 25th, 2012 at 6:37 pm said:

The new model of the PS3 looks cool, but its time for Sony to do something different. What I’m trying to say is Sony need to make the PS3 an new color. I don’t know what they are waiting on but they need to change the color. Microsoft did it, Nintendo did it, now its Sony turn. Sony is the only one who haven’t since the PS2. That’s the only problem I have with Sony….

+ DaddyJenkins on September 25th, 2012 at 7:27 pm said:

Where do I pick ths jawn up? No stores anywhere have em in, you sure you remembered to send them to the stores today? lol

+ JAKonaROLL on September 25th, 2012 at 8:05 pm said:

the new disc tray is asking for dust contamination – though it looks pretty cool but im happy with my original ps3 – will need new HDD soon though 80gb is now down to 15gb

+ ThenextMJ777 on September 25th, 2012 at 8:37 pm said:

The old disk tray was so much cooler. And this model looks…cheap.. which makes complete sense because playstation is forced to bring the price of the ps3 down more than they want to

+ Jay-Songz on September 25th, 2012 at 8:40 pm said:

First I would like to say that girl is hot. 2nd that ps3 is so freakin ugly, if ur gonna make something cheaper at least dont make it look cheap a good company would hide that fact and pretty it up especially the disk tray. Yup the slim look the best just hate the coat but love the design they should combine the shape of the slim with the coat of the original and as small as the super slim that would be the best counsel ever. Lastly ps3 have the best damn exclusive ever made by a counsel company.PS i would love colors too sony dont see have the controller colors sell they should match each controller color with a counsel color just like it. i would so love a comic blue ps3, i dream of it one day, one day!!!!

+ JROD0823 on September 25th, 2012 at 8:52 pm said:

I am going to repeat my questions on this Blog until someone at Sony replies.

Question 1: Why are high speed HDMI cables NOT standard with every system?

Question 2: Why are the bluetooth headsets NOT standard with every system?

Question 3/4: Is N wireless technology included in this new PS3. If it isn’t now, when will it be?

+ WakizashiM on September 25th, 2012 at 9:08 pm said:

Is Maya Butler Kevin Butler’s daughter or something ? Or is it her real name ?

+ red1233 on September 25th, 2012 at 9:13 pm said:

Wow you people are jumping the gun. Just because you don’t like it does not mean someone else won’t they did not make it for you it’s more if you do not have one already. it’s a bundle of course its going to cost a little more if you want a cheaper you will maybe have to wait for a standalone 250GB wow not include one now? Don’t know just be patient or buy the current model before it’s gone this same thing happen with the current model back in 09 except the price drop thing patience is a virtue:) and I concur on them not have a very good PR team:P

+ Tragic_Nightmare on September 25th, 2012 at 9:30 pm said:

I’m actually pretty interested in this, I think it looks nice and well designed. I love the disc tray too. My original PS3 HD was corrupted not too long ago. I believe it was due to a power outage while I was playing a game. I had to reformat the entire thing and wasn’t able to back up anything due to the corruption.

Been considering picking up the first slim model but I really like this one more. I’m usually a bit hesitant on new hardware since you never know the failure rate. So I think I’ll wait till January and see how well this model stands.

+ hjason1 on September 25th, 2012 at 9:31 pm said:

@ AutomaticOcelot You can buy another hard drive…
I have the seagate 750gb hybrid hard drive..
It works great haven’t had a problem with it.
It’s fast at loading..

And to everyone complaining about not being able to have this in a tv cabinet, or in a confind space..
Well it’s not supposed to be in a tv cabinet or in a confind space.
That is how they over heat and break.
It needs 4 feet of clearence all around it, so it can breathe..

+ Elvick_ on September 25th, 2012 at 9:49 pm said:

Ugly piece. Well done Sony.

+ jordyballz24 on September 25th, 2012 at 9:57 pm said:

Stop whining people they are just trying to get a profit off this for the people who want and need it you can still get your normal ps3 slim

+ Icestar10 on September 25th, 2012 at 10:14 pm said:

I like how small this model is but I really think the new model looks ugly! Why was this model designed this way? Also why does it have this kind of disc cover? I think disc slots are better! I think it could have been designed better. I would have liked it better if it had a disc slot and looked better. This is just my opinion of course! :)

+ Shatgan on September 25th, 2012 at 10:31 pm said:

I wish it looked more high tech than the older models and not more like low budget. I mean it is thinner, but why eveything like ps2 playback compability, touch sentitive buttons and auto disc inserter is now gone? not even the LED’s are there.

+ LordRaoh on September 25th, 2012 at 10:34 pm said:

I have a 120gb slim, with my own 320gb laptop hard drive swapped out.

I would love to take my 320gb drive out, trade in my 120gb ps3 slim and get the new 12gb model.

But silly sony hasn’t released any info on the 12gb model for the U.S.

You would have had a sale from me already.

I don’t need a bundle, I already have all three Uncharted Games, a year and a half worth of Playstation Plus, a Playstation Vita and I can get get my own laptop hard drives for cheap.

Yet… I don’t have the option to buy a new 12gb PS3 Slim

If sony marketing and corp haven’t noticed, people are looking for cheap products. I know the bundle has value but the competition has proven that consumers want cheap, even if they have to pay more later.

Who’s in charge of Sony marketing and pricing? Steve Ballmer?

+ MUTEKI31 on September 25th, 2012 at 10:50 pm said:

i dont understand why no store has it, i made the mistake of asking a walmart employee about it…idiot. I need this smaller ps3 to share room with the wii u….need that stand tho

+ MUTEKI31 on September 25th, 2012 at 10:51 pm said:

and im in orlando….tourist capital of the nation

+ Omda_mix on September 25th, 2012 at 11:31 pm said:

Very CoOl Design ,

+ saykodeli on September 26th, 2012 at 12:11 am said:

not good

+ Griffdude13 on September 26th, 2012 at 1:14 am said:

Hey Sony,

So will the other PS3 slim be phased out from this point on?

+ Ryusennin on September 26th, 2012 at 4:09 am said:

The PSTwo *was* incredibly small compared to the PS2.

This PS3 Superslim is almost the same size as the original Fat and just twice thinner. How is it exactly “25% smaller”? Maybe in volume, but not in size!

+ PayneKiller1509 on September 26th, 2012 at 4:09 am said:

Your model is looking good. The lady I mean.

+ fate167 on September 26th, 2012 at 5:40 am said:

I like the new design but call me old fashioned, I liked the original tank PS3 the best, the overall look of it was amazing and it had 4 usb ports and the media card adapters. This is a neat design but it makes me sad that not the PS4 probably will not come out for a while not despite rumors about it being released next year. I love sony and have since the PS1 but I do not see why they just released a 3rd PS3 instead of just promoting the second one and focusing their R&D department on the next gen series.

+ djnealb on September 26th, 2012 at 6:02 am said:

For people complaining about the lack of HDMI (myself included), check out Ben Kuchera’s article about Sony’s Day 1 Digital program on Penny Arcade Report. It actually explains a lot.

+ bluemaple33 on September 26th, 2012 at 7:55 am said:

Day after release, nothing in canada what is going on Sony? Very much want this system

+ lyfestory on September 26th, 2012 at 8:03 am said:

can i trade my 60gb YLOD PS3 for one of these…???? i think you guys at Sony owe those of us who paid $600 for launch PS3 systems that died due to faulty hardware… and i still have a disc stuck in the system…

+ ipodfan1996 on September 26th, 2012 at 12:43 pm said:

I really like the desing,i like it!

+ Robo_Emo_Wolf on September 26th, 2012 at 2:41 pm said:

I wish i could afford to buy this… i have the current ps3 but no money to buy this new version, just spent all my money on BO2 and turtlebeach… pfft

+ Street_Killaz on September 26th, 2012 at 2:52 pm said:

Just got my Ps3 Slim today, from canada..So i know have 3 Ps3′s..FAT,Slim,Slimmer! Love the new design!

+ Eastcoastghost25 on September 26th, 2012 at 3:01 pm said:

@199 what store in canada?