PS4-Watch_Dogs

New PSN Exclusive Derrick the Deathfin Swims To PS3 October 9th

Gordon Midwood's Avatar + Posted by Gordon Midwood on Sep 27, 2012 // Head of Fresh Produce, Different Tuna

At Different Tuna, we’ve been working astonishingly hard to bring you PSN‘s premier underwater papercraft action game — Derrick the Deathfin. We have 32 handcrafted levels and three level types, set across four challenging continents, with each level being increasingly fiendish and colourful in its design. On October 9th this world can be yours to explore, for $7.99.

You know that feeling when you’re sitting on a roller coaster, slowly ascending, just in sight of the summit? That’s what you’re feeling right now. This time though, the ride is going to be much wilder than anything you’ve experienced before, and everything on the way down is going to be made out of paper.

Meet Derrick the Deathfin, Swimming to PSN This SummerMeet Derrick the Deathfin, Swimming to PSN This Summer

To succeed you must fight, jump, race and eat your way through a myriad of confusingly textured circumstances. Good luck!

While you’re waiting for Derrick to swim onto your PS3, you can busy yourself by making your own papercraft puffer fish! Or Pufferius Boxius — his official Latin name.

Derrick The Deathfin Puffer Template

Expect more hapless, goofy DIY papercraft characters as we build up to the game’s release!

+ Major_Hoare on September 27th, 2012 at 6:17 am said:

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun making this and if you bring Derrick to Vita…I’ll buy it!

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 10:24 am said:

We did have heaps of fun. Vita love noted!

+ DZORMAGEN on September 27th, 2012 at 6:18 am said:

Reminds me of LBP a little bit!! Will buy!!!

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 10:25 am said:

Thank-you high praise indeed!

+ whatisdelicious on September 27th, 2012 at 6:43 am said:

Looks cool and I love the idea of you guys actually filming gameplay kind of like the old days with digitized people like in Mortal Kombat, but I also wish there had been more gameplay shown in the video. Can’t get a feel for if I actually want to play this or not from the 15 seconds or so that was spliced in there.

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 10:30 am said:

Never fear Mr. Delicious! Gameplay trailer coming on release day!

+ osoelhartani on September 27th, 2012 at 6:45 am said:

Where’s the second page for the cut out? I want to have my own Pufferius Boxius.

+ Axecution on September 27th, 2012 at 6:46 am said:

Cool looking game! >.>

But i must agree, i’d buy it for Vita in a heartbeat,

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 10:31 am said:

Thank-you!!!

Lots of Vita love going on in the comments!

+ Sonicfan11589 on September 27th, 2012 at 6:57 am said:

I was wondering what happened to this game. Was it not supposed to come out during the summer?

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 10:26 am said:

It was supposed to come out in Summer yes.

Essentially what happened is that it took me 3 months to get out of that pesky wetsuit.

+ Sonicfan11589 on September 27th, 2012 at 7:00 am said:

I know this game is similar to Sega’s classic Ecco the Dolphin (which I heard recently that it MIGHT get brought back)

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 12:12 pm said:

It’s a bit like Ecco, but perhaps more like the game that you are fan number 11589 of!

+ onslaughtree on September 27th, 2012 at 7:09 am said:

Hahahahaha. looks awesome. My son would luv this. I can see me getting this for my Vita, but In any case, I will get this for my ps3. My son will be happy when he boots up this pleasant suprise. Great job guys/gals…Keep on Gaming.

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 12:13 pm said:

Thanks tree of onslaught, kind words much appreciated!

+ Elvick_ on September 27th, 2012 at 7:23 am said:

Is this an actual exclusive, or one of those “let’s pretend the PC doesn’t exist” games that often releases as a “PSN Exclusive”?

I hate that.

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 12:07 pm said:

Easy on the hatred Elvick!

What does PC stand for again?

+ snakeeyes211 on September 27th, 2012 at 7:31 am said:

Love the art direction you guys chose. it’s a must-have for PlayStation but it makes sense to bring it to vita just a suggestion ;-)

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 12:14 pm said:

Thanks SnakeEyes! Another +1 for Vita.

+ JLP_M on September 27th, 2012 at 7:49 am said:

Wow, I can’t tell you how much I’m loving the look for the game. The price is great as well, day one buy!! :D

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 10:32 am said:

Merci JLP!

+ MrBendel on September 27th, 2012 at 8:02 am said:

love the papercraft dual shock at the end! looks like the perfect game for vita – port it! get it? sea joke….

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 10:28 am said:

Maybe I could sea us doing a port one day, who knows? No plans atm though!

+ laocontico on September 27th, 2012 at 8:28 am said:

this should be on the vita also!!!!!
The game looks like it belongs to a handheld!

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 12:15 pm said:

I look like I belong in a stable, but I don’t live in one.

+ manobon on September 27th, 2012 at 8:38 am said:

Cool stuff! Was wondering when this was going to come out, after the first PS Blog post/trailer.

Another vote for a Vita port & the second Papercraft instructions page!

+ crazy_kracker1 on September 27th, 2012 at 9:00 am said:

Sometimes I wonder what kind of drugs game developers are on while making games. lol

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 12:18 pm said:

We are high only on life Crazy Kracker!

The other drugs don’t have any effect on us anymore.

+ MushThePainter on September 27th, 2012 at 9:39 am said:

seems like lots of hard work! looks like a fun game but is it just me or do the colors look a little washed out? possibly tweak the saturation? i feel like the characters and environments could POP a little more, not bashing just my feedback..

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 12:05 pm said:

It POPs alright MushThePainter, don’t worry about that! POPs and KRAKs and KAPOWs and all sorts.

The colors look ace in the game, you’ll have to believe me there for a couple of weeks.

+ GhostMachine1 on September 27th, 2012 at 9:43 am said:

This looks freaking spectacular! I want this…NOW!

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 10:32 am said:

Thank-you so much! Only a little while to wait…

+ MartiniMan on September 27th, 2012 at 10:06 am said:

Please post the DIY for that awesome looking shark. I must have it. Now. =-)

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 10:32 am said:

Ah-hah MartiniMan! Papercraft Derrick is coming later, we have 10 in total to release!

+ loveordie04 on September 27th, 2012 at 10:08 am said:

Please consider a Vita version please a lot of people do not own a PS3. More platforms means more money. Come on please give us a Vita port.

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 10:29 am said:

Couldn’t I just send you an envelope directly and you could fill that with money for me and send it back?

+ boxmyth on September 27th, 2012 at 10:33 am said:

Been waiting for this. Hopefully this does for papercraft what Jet Set Radio did for cell shading, as I’m tired of ‘gritty’ game visuals this gen.

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 12:03 pm said:

Ah well there’s us & Tearaway already so let’s see!

+ AguilarX on September 27th, 2012 at 10:42 am said:

been keeping this game on my radar since the announcement. cant believe its coming soon!

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 12:03 pm said:

I like the sound of your radar, it sounds perfectly tuned!

+ redemptivefrog on September 27th, 2012 at 12:31 pm said:

So I’m sitting in my university, waiting for class to start. I’m not in the mood for gloomy music so I put on The Beatles. Then I come across your post, your beautiful game and your joyous comments. Thank you for making my wonderful day even better…

Good say sunshine :-)

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 12:34 pm said:

No worries! As a frog of redemption I would think that every day is pretty special for you no?

Thanks very much for the kind words mega appreciated!!!

+ h2omasnah- on September 27th, 2012 at 12:44 pm said:

Why isn’t this game on PlayStation 3 and Vita with Cross Everything like it should be?!

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 12:49 pm said:

If everything was exactly as it should be life would be pretty uninteresting.

+ JimmyNEUTRON413 on September 27th, 2012 at 1:31 pm said:

Game looks GREAT! I love the concept… especially on one of the jumps underwater, where it has the “recycle” logo on the cardboard. Love It.

Whats the price going to be?

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 1:39 pm said:

Thanks Jimmy, appreciate the kind words!

Game is going for $7.99.

+ ubergusterfan on September 27th, 2012 at 1:39 pm said:

I have to say, very impressed that you took the time to reply to each and every post. Mad respect for that. The game looks great as well!

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 1:41 pm said:

Thanks ubergusterfan, am building up a tower of love one cardboard box at a time!

+ GAP-Vegeta42 on September 27th, 2012 at 1:41 pm said:

You’re Gonna Need A Bigger Diorama….Derrick’s A 20-Footer!!

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 1:42 pm said:

I agree with you completely, but without fully understanding what you mean ;)

+ GAP-Vegeta42 on September 27th, 2012 at 1:50 pm said:

Hooper, Full Throttle!!

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 5:00 pm said:

Half moon Tracey! Half moon!

+ jason_redemption on September 27th, 2012 at 2:19 pm said:

I would LOVE to see this on the VITA, and please, the VITA just needs good quality games even if they don’t use over-rated touch features, PORT THIS TO THE VITA AND SHOW THE VITA SOME LOVE! :)

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 4:45 pm said:

Okay Jason I can see you are not the kind of man to be argued with so I won’t try.

+ Shadykidd323 on September 27th, 2012 at 2:24 pm said:

Wonderful idea for a game and so much passion and love must have gone into this project if the animations were made out of paper origami designs. Looks super neat, I really hope to get a cross-buy option or at least a psvita version soon PLEAAASE!
Thank you.

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 4:47 pm said:

Thanks Shadykidd232! At the risk or repeating myself no Vita version is planned but I have definitely noted the interest!

+ Dua1-Blade- on September 27th, 2012 at 2:26 pm said:

Loving the art style and behind the scenes vid right of the bat!

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 4:48 pm said:

Thanks Dual Blade, you are as sharp as your username suggests.

+ Kong_Angantyr on September 27th, 2012 at 3:31 pm said:

Gordon of the Middle Wood, you are a funny guy. I loved your comments, and my interest is piqued. I might pick it up for my son on release.

Oh yeah, and chalk up another vote for the Vita. A PlayStation Plus discount would not be unwelcome either. ;)

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 4:50 pm said:

How did you know my ancient ancestral name Kong of Angantyr?

Vita version I think I may have covered in the comments above! A PlayStation Plus discount I think I could do for you though….

+ plaztiksyke on September 27th, 2012 at 4:04 pm said:

Why no 1080p? I always wished these kinds of art designs (Super Stacker, etc) would use 1080p native assets and really pop.

Can you comment on the music? Will it be 24-bit and/or losslessly compressed? I love these kinds of games and themes, but often they come with Wii-quality audio :(

Still, the price and attitude is right :) Will almost certainly be picking it up unless reviews have major quality complaints :)

+ Gordon Midwood on September 27th, 2012 at 4:55 pm said:

Ah-ha! A tricky question eh?

Game is indeed 720p native but looks super sharp and intense I can promise you that. 60fps too so it literally flies by.

Music is encoded to a very high quality I promise you!

And major quality complaints? That seems highly unlikely from where I’m sittting.

I’m sitting in a big blue deckchair with a Derrick the Deathfin logo on the back btw.

+ GAP-Vegeta42 on September 27th, 2012 at 5:14 pm said:

As much as i want to play this game, years from now everyone will complain the shark still looks fake.

+ Gordon Midwood on October 2nd, 2012 at 8:35 am said:

Years from now everyone will complain. The eternal truth.

+ DRAQ-520 on September 27th, 2012 at 5:19 pm said:

Yay, I’m very excited to know it’s gonna launch in two weeks, since it missed it’s summer release I believed it was canceled, but happy news to hear otherwise, BTW can you upload a PDF to make my own derrick?

+ Gordon Midwood on October 2nd, 2012 at 8:41 am said:

Thanks! Yes for sure, Derrick PDF coming on launch day! In the meantime you can keep up with all our papercraft giveaways on our facebook gallery: http://on.fb.me/SXtqgw

+ blubox on September 27th, 2012 at 6:19 pm said:

Top notch and a day one purchase for me. Add me to the Vita list. ;)

+ Gordon Midwood on October 2nd, 2012 at 8:54 am said:

Thank-you! Added to the list.

If I pretend there is a list will it stop everyone from asking for a Vita version?

+ C_Y_P_H_E_R on September 27th, 2012 at 6:45 pm said:

I would buy it day one if it were cross buy with the Vita though I’ve got less incentive to buy it day one. Looks like a great game so either way I will be buying it sometime. Just want to see the Vita get more love.

+ Gordon Midwood on October 2nd, 2012 at 8:54 am said:

Erm, added to the list?

+ Cloud_X1 on September 27th, 2012 at 7:48 pm said:

Love how the game is looking, defiantly a day 1 purchase, especially at $7.99! I was really hoping for a cross buy or at least for it to be available on the PS Vita. Since I started going to College again, I haven’t had much time to use my PS3, but i’m able to take my Vita around and play it. You guys are really getting a ton of support for this game to be on the Vita, so I hope it will one day be on it. For now I will just enjoy it on my PS3. :)

+ Gordon Midwood on October 2nd, 2012 at 8:55 am said:

Thank-you for the love!

I would like to informally refer you to the list r/e the Vita.

+ Hazelhurst on September 27th, 2012 at 9:38 pm said:

I love the art style. It seems very original. I’m interested.

I don’t know if this has been mentioned, but the “Derrick” jingle sounds like the old “SEGA” jingle. :P

+ Gordon Midwood on October 2nd, 2012 at 8:56 am said:

Thanks Hazelhurst, creating something totally original was always the dream!

Jingle sounds like SEGA? Never heard of them.

+ Arkafazin on September 28th, 2012 at 12:30 am said:

The moment you appeared on the video wearing a full wetsuit is when I just lost it and fell out of my chair laughing XD. I will most definitely have to pick up your game sometime (hopefully the day its released if I have enough money).

+ Gordon Midwood on October 2nd, 2012 at 9:04 am said:

Thank-you Arkafazin! Apologies for the unsavory chair incident.

+ Hodgewald on September 28th, 2012 at 8:23 am said:

love seeing titles with innovative art design. looks great guys!

+ Gordon Midwood on October 2nd, 2012 at 9:05 am said:

Many thanks, we were trying to create something with a totally fresh feel. Like a new pair of underpants.

+ BlackRedAsianJew on October 2nd, 2012 at 7:56 pm said:

I see a lot of swimming and not much else. You don’t even do anything to get past enemies or traps, you just swim. Boring.

+ Gordon Midwood on October 3rd, 2012 at 8:53 am said:

Hi! Actually there is quite a lot of variety: you have to eat to stay alive, there are speed levels, puzzle levels, disasters, special moves, boss fights, diamonds to collect, flaming tyres to jump through, boats to travel on, enemies and so on. I would go on but I fear I may bore you again!

+ danny3755 on October 8th, 2012 at 2:07 pm said:

This game looks great, Really well done i am buying it as soon as it hits the store, Also thank you very much for the PS Plus discount at that price who ever doesn’t buy it is crazy….

Are you able to say when we can get our hands on more of the D.I.Y. PAPER KITS, I see there are 2 already on facebook.

Thank you much love.