Driveclub

Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward Coming to PS Vita, Demo on PSN Today

Frank + Posted by Frank "Bo" DeWindt II on Oct 02, 2012 // Director of Production, Aksys Games

Virtue's Last Reward on PS Vita - 10

Hey there, PlayStation Blog friends! This is Frank “Bo” deWindt II of Aksys Games, but you can all call me Bo. We have a demo coming today for our upcoming PS Vita title, Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward!

For those who aren’t already familiar with the Zero Escape series, Virtue’s Last Reward is a sequel to the critically acclaimed Zero Escape: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, which came out in November 2010 and received glowing accolades from IGN, as well as amazing reviews from Destructoid and Nintendo Power, among others.

Virtue's Last Reward on PS Vita - 09Virtue's Last Reward on PS Vita - 07

Virtue’s Last Reward is a visual novel-style game with puzzle elements that traps college student Sigma, a mysterious young woman named Phi, and seven other strangers in a game of life and death.

They are forced to take part in a game known as the Nonary Game: Ambidex Edition, which will place their lives on the line as they try to escape and discover the truth about why they’re there in the first place.

As a visual novel, Virtue’s Last Reward delves heavily into story, characterization, and reading in general. However, this is balanced by the escape rooms, which consist of point-and-click puzzles that Sigma and his fellow prisoners must solve to move the game along.

Virtue's Last Reward on PS Vita - 03Virtue's Last Reward on PS Vita - 05

For those who happened to mosey on by to just get the first gleaming bits of information on the demo itself, it consists of a brief taste of the Novel sections of the game, which will introduce Sigma and the cast of characters, whom you’ll hopefully fall in love with or hate with the fiery passion of a thousand burning suns.

The demo also contains an Escape section, where you’ll play through one of the early escape rooms to get a feel for the interactive point-and-click puzzle gameplay the game has to offer.

If all this juicy info and series history hasn’t sold you on picking up Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward, make sure to check out the demo when it goes live on PSN later today. Immerse yourself in the first English hands-on experience of Virtue’s Last Reward, and allow the game to speak for itself.

PAGE 1 2

+ DrApollo on October 2nd, 2012 at 2:59 pm said:

Just finished 999 last night on my DS. Such a very good game that not enough people played. It was recommended by a co-worker of mine several months ago. Glad I played it…also finished in in 2 play throughs which I hear is kind of rare.

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt on October 2nd, 2012 at 3:03 pm said:

That’s great to hear! :)

Now you can reward yourself by playing the VLR demo ;)

Playing VLR with the knowledge of 999 will make the experience so much sweeter!

+ DrApollo on October 2nd, 2012 at 3:07 pm said:

Don’t have my Vita yet…but getting it within the next 2 weeks. This is the game that has sold me the Vita. Even though it will be on the 3DS as well…the Vita has VLR and Persona 4: Golden.

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt on October 2nd, 2012 at 3:08 pm said:

Both great choices :)!

Glad it helped make the Vita a system seller for you!

+ death_by_wabbit on October 2nd, 2012 at 3:51 pm said:

I am not seeing this on the Vita store, Search can’t find it either. I’m in the US, is there something I’m doing wrong?

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt on October 2nd, 2012 at 4:02 pm said:

You might have to search for it in the demos section of the PSN store?

+ DrApollo on October 2nd, 2012 at 4:08 pm said:

Yep! Its under Demos in the Vita section.

+ PrinceofXIII on October 2nd, 2012 at 4:20 pm said:

amazing stuff!!!!

yay Dual Audio :D

thanks soo much Aksys :P

take notes Atlus.

definitely buying this for sure :)

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt on October 2nd, 2012 at 4:27 pm said:

Dual audio is pretty rad 8-D

Have fun playing the demo, and then the full game later this month! :D

+ ShadowDoGGG on October 2nd, 2012 at 4:33 pm said:

why no 3ds demo? and why euro always a lot later than US? We have weapons of mass destruction too you know >.<

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt on October 2nd, 2012 at 4:36 pm said:

Unfortunately I can’t speak for Rising Star Games, who is handling the European version of VLR, but I’m sure you can email them or contact them on Twitter or Facebook with any questions you might have :)

+ NovaChronicle on October 2nd, 2012 at 4:34 pm said:

This demo is awesome, it already has me hooked despite my inability to finish the escape portion of the demo atm haha. Last game that got my attention like this is the Phoenix Wright Series, love a game that makes you think :3.
Im gonna have to see if I can get my hands on 999 asap. Plan to pre-order zero escape asap too! ahh cant wait for Ragnarok Odyssey, P4 Golden, and now this! XD

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt on October 2nd, 2012 at 4:38 pm said:

Glad to hear that you’re loving the VLR demo! :D

If you’re interested in the prequel, Zero Escape: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, you can purchase it from us directly on our online webstore: (first game at the very top!)

Or from retailers such as Amazon, GameStop, etc. :)

+ NovaChronicle on October 2nd, 2012 at 4:47 pm said:

Thanks Bo, I will most likely get 999 on amazon(free giftcards woot). Gotta say Im quite jelly of the people who got the watch with pre-order :X wont stop me from pre-ordering nonetheless. :)

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt on October 2nd, 2012 at 4:56 pm said:

Awesome! Make sure to play 999 first ;D!

And maybe one day you’ll be able to get a watch :)!

+ plaztiksyke on October 2nd, 2012 at 6:06 pm said:

“999 is only possible on the DS”????

I am assuming you mean an exclusivity licensing arrangement and not something technical. If you mean dual-screen, making a Vita version where we need to hold the Vita vertically works great! I’ve been wanting to play 999, but refuse to give top dollar for yester-decade hardware.

Does the game make use of rear touch, camera, or sixaxis controls unique to the Vita?

I love adventure games and am excited to play this. Thanks for the dual voice assets! I just hope the audio quality is decently high — some of these Vita games have MP3 assets that sound like crap :/

@9, I’m with you — when developers don’t turn on AA or use native resolutions (or use Wii-quality MP3 audio assets) it really bugs me. I try and reward developers and publishers who go to the extra effort with day 1 purchases :)

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt on October 2nd, 2012 at 7:18 pm said:

Unfortunately it only makes use of the touch panel and gyroscope features :) (I guess that would be sixaxis)

The audio sounds great on Vita, so not to worry!

+ tomtomfooleries on October 2nd, 2012 at 6:08 pm said:

I’ve passed 999 to so many friends this year, and now they each have their own copy! Aksys deserves some mad props for bringing something so different and unique to this side of the globe. I remember hearing that in 999 some of the writing was altered in translation so it could relate to English speakers better. I’m curious since there is a Japanese voice option, does the localization team have to have a localized version of Japanese voices to fit with the English text? If the question doesn’t make sense, that’s okay. I don’t words so good.

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt on October 2nd, 2012 at 7:19 pm said:

Aww, you’re so nice! Thanks for spreading the 999 love!

The Japanese voices will still be using the localized English text that the English voices use, if that answers your question :)

+ SuperSonic1305 on October 2nd, 2012 at 6:47 pm said:

Are you related to BIG BO?

+ Luis_ces on October 2nd, 2012 at 7:23 pm said:

I just went through the demo, found ti very cool, I didn’t play the other 999 game, and had no clue how it would look like, but it really got my attention.

Do you have any idea about the psn price of this game Frank?

Congratulations on making such game, hope it will be a great seller, I am already one of the buyers!

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt on October 2nd, 2012 at 7:33 pm said:

Thank you so much!

The PSN version will be priced lower than the retail version, so it’ll be $34.99 :)

+ divineLite on October 2nd, 2012 at 7:51 pm said:

This game obviously in my to play with, will look forward for the demo
And it’s great to see demo has small size

+ TXCScorpion on October 2nd, 2012 at 8:11 pm said:

Glad to see pretty much everyone is a fan. You never really find a topic in which nearly every post is positive. High five guys.

+ Koshuu on October 2nd, 2012 at 9:09 pm said:

I tried out a bit of the narrative demo, I had to leave for work so I couldn’t finish it. However the little I played definitely has my attention, I’m looking forward to finishing up the demo and finding out more about this game. I’m leaning towards a buy, very interesting game.

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt on October 2nd, 2012 at 11:36 pm said:

Very exciting to hear that it piqued your interest :)! Hope you have fun playing the rest!

+ Ladykiller64 on October 2nd, 2012 at 9:40 pm said:

I’d just like to say that this game is THE reason I’m getting a Vita. And that my anticipation has skyrocket the past couple of weeks.

I still wish there’s an option to have 2D anime style graphics, but that’s not a big deal. It’s already been mentioned, but a Vita port of 999 would be awesome as well. Maybe even Ever17 too since that got a psp release. :)

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt on October 2nd, 2012 at 11:36 pm said:

My anticipation for everyone to get to play the full game is pretty high up there too ;)

+ mikelaury007 on October 2nd, 2012 at 10:58 pm said:

Just tried this game and man I can’t wait for more. Like the concept already and characters are quirky enough and this is just the demo. Bring it on you demented rabbit puppet..

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt on October 2nd, 2012 at 11:37 pm said:

He definitely has more in store for you in the full game! Get ready! :D

+ TacticalPotato on October 3rd, 2012 at 12:43 am said:

i just played the demo…is this a sequel to 999 cause theres alot of simliarities???

+ TacticalPotato on October 3rd, 2012 at 12:44 am said:

TAKE MY MONEY!!!
“throws money at computer screen but nothing =(“

+ TacticalPotato on October 3rd, 2012 at 1:56 am said:

btw from the previous 999, there was some romance element to it. does this also have romance?

+ KirAMinh on October 3rd, 2012 at 2:24 am said:

Im havent to try the sequel of this before, so wat if im buy and play this game? Can i understand the storyline ?!

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt on October 3rd, 2012 at 8:59 am said:

You can play the game just fine without playing 999, but it will be even more fun and exciting if you can play 999 first ;)

+ bany_rock on October 3rd, 2012 at 9:03 am said:

i played and finished the demo last night . i recommend it to EVERYONE to try it out, it doesn´t matter what´s your favorite game genres, every single puzzle solved feel as a great achievement (cause it isn´t that easy) , the demo is an amazing experience, love it!!!

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt on October 3rd, 2012 at 9:19 am said:

That’s awesome that you had so much fun with it :D!

And thank you so much for giving it such glowing accolades!

I hope you enjoy the full game when it comes out :)!

+ TrueProphecy on October 3rd, 2012 at 10:11 am said:

I absolutely adored the first game. Downloading the demo now to try it later tonight.

+ Squiggle55 on October 3rd, 2012 at 11:39 am said:

Huge fan of 999. It was just amazing. I’m looking forward to more visual novel goodness and puzzle solving fun this month.
Just 3 things after playing the demo…

1) Slightly preferred the old art style. Especially during the escape phase on this demo where we only saw the character’s heads next to their text IIRC.
2)I’m positive I liked the control scheme on the DS w/ stylus and 2 screens better than the Vita, so I’m personally leaning towards the 3DS version.
3)Very up in the air on the whole talking evil rabbit thing. I’m assuming it ends up making sense and fitting in with the world.

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt on October 3rd, 2012 at 1:13 pm said:

Glad to hear you loved 999!

And everything will make sense once you play the full version of VLR :)

+ Gemstone-Warrior on October 3rd, 2012 at 2:36 pm said:

I played the predecessor 999 on the DS a few months ago (until I had experienced all the possible endings) and was thrilled to hear that the next game of this franchise is for the VIita system as well which makes it an instant must-buy for me. Since I am from Europe the 3DS version is no good for me due to its region lock, so it will be the Vita version for me. The Vita system deserves some more good titles, and these pretty unique games are just right up my ally.

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt on October 3rd, 2012 at 2:59 pm said:

It’s so cool that Europeans can also participate in the fun of the Zero Escape series :D!

+ islankleinknecht on October 4th, 2012 at 8:29 am said:

Great demo, but OMG so many puns!

+ islankleinknecht on October 4th, 2012 at 1:22 pm said:

I also take it that Phi watched a lot of Nickelodeon as a kid?

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt on October 4th, 2012 at 1:37 pm said:

She’s a very well cultured young woman ;)

+ jocelotm on October 8th, 2012 at 11:02 am said:

when will the demo be available for europe???

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt on October 9th, 2012 at 2:10 pm said:

That would be up to Rising Star Games, since they’re handling the localization in Europe :)

+ quibbllesticks on October 22nd, 2012 at 9:27 am said:

do you know what time the full version will be available on psn? will it be live at midnight or more towards tomorrow afternoon?

PAGE 1 2