Final Fantasy XV

Oct 02

Oct 02

Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward Coming to PS Vita, Demo on PSN Today

Frank Posted by Director of Production, Aksys Games

Virtue's Last Reward on PS Vita - 10

Hey there, PlayStation Blog friends! This is Frank “Bo” deWindt II of Aksys Games, but you can all call me Bo. We have a demo coming today for our upcoming PS Vita title, Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward!

For those who aren’t already familiar with the Zero Escape series, Virtue’s Last Reward is a sequel to the critically acclaimed Zero Escape: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, which came out in November 2010 and received glowing accolades from IGN, as well as amazing reviews from Destructoid and Nintendo Power, among others.

Virtue's Last Reward on PS Vita - 09Virtue's Last Reward on PS Vita - 07

Virtue’s Last Reward is a visual novel-style game with puzzle elements that traps college student Sigma, a mysterious young woman named Phi, and seven other strangers in a game of life and death.

They are forced to take part in a game known as the Nonary Game: Ambidex Edition, which will place their lives on the line as they try to escape and discover the truth about why they’re there in the first place.

As a visual novel, Virtue’s Last Reward delves heavily into story, characterization, and reading in general. However, this is balanced by the escape rooms, which consist of point-and-click puzzles that Sigma and his fellow prisoners must solve to move the game along.

Virtue's Last Reward on PS Vita - 03Virtue's Last Reward on PS Vita - 05

For those who happened to mosey on by to just get the first gleaming bits of information on the demo itself, it consists of a brief taste of the Novel sections of the game, which will introduce Sigma and the cast of characters, whom you’ll hopefully fall in love with or hate with the fiery passion of a thousand burning suns.

The demo also contains an Escape section, where you’ll play through one of the early escape rooms to get a feel for the interactive point-and-click puzzle gameplay the game has to offer.

If all this juicy info and series history hasn’t sold you on picking up Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward, make sure to check out the demo when it goes live on PSN later today. Immerse yourself in the first English hands-on experience of Virtue’s Last Reward, and allow the game to speak for itself.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

DrApollo said:

October 2nd, 2:59 pm

Just finished 999 last night on my DS. Such a very good game that not enough people played. It was recommended by a co-worker of mine several months ago. Glad I played it…also finished in in 2 play throughs which I hear is kind of rare.

October 2nd, 3:03 pm

That’s great to hear! :)

Now you can reward yourself by playing the VLR demo ;)

Playing VLR with the knowledge of 999 will make the experience so much sweeter!

DrApollo said:

October 2nd, 3:07 pm

Don’t have my Vita yet…but getting it within the next 2 weeks. This is the game that has sold me the Vita. Even though it will be on the 3DS as well…the Vita has VLR and Persona 4: Golden.

October 2nd, 3:08 pm

Both great choices :)!

Glad it helped make the Vita a system seller for you!

death_by_wabbit said:

October 2nd, 3:51 pm

I am not seeing this on the Vita store, Search can’t find it either. I’m in the US, is there something I’m doing wrong?

October 2nd, 4:02 pm

You might have to search for it in the demos section of the PSN store?

DrApollo said:

October 2nd, 4:08 pm

Yep! Its under Demos in the Vita section.

PrinceofXIII said:

October 2nd, 4:20 pm

amazing stuff!!!!

yay Dual Audio :D

thanks soo much Aksys :P

take notes Atlus.

definitely buying this for sure :)

October 2nd, 4:27 pm

Dual audio is pretty rad 8-D

Have fun playing the demo, and then the full game later this month! :D

ShadowDoGGG said:

October 2nd, 4:33 pm

why no 3ds demo? and why euro always a lot later than US? We have weapons of mass destruction too you know >.<

October 2nd, 4:36 pm

Unfortunately I can’t speak for Rising Star Games, who is handling the European version of VLR, but I’m sure you can email them or contact them on Twitter or Facebook with any questions you might have :)

NovaChronicle said:

October 2nd, 4:34 pm

This demo is awesome, it already has me hooked despite my inability to finish the escape portion of the demo atm haha. Last game that got my attention like this is the Phoenix Wright Series, love a game that makes you think :3.
Im gonna have to see if I can get my hands on 999 asap. Plan to pre-order zero escape asap too! ahh cant wait for Ragnarok Odyssey, P4 Golden, and now this! XD

October 2nd, 4:38 pm

Glad to hear that you’re loving the VLR demo! :D

If you’re interested in the prequel, Zero Escape: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, you can purchase it from us directly on our online webstore: (first game at the very top!)

Or from retailers such as Amazon, GameStop, etc. :)

NovaChronicle said:

October 2nd, 4:47 pm

Thanks Bo, I will most likely get 999 on amazon(free giftcards woot). Gotta say Im quite jelly of the people who got the watch with pre-order :X wont stop me from pre-ordering nonetheless. :)

October 2nd, 4:56 pm

Awesome! Make sure to play 999 first ;D!

And maybe one day you’ll be able to get a watch :)!

plaztiksyke said:

October 2nd, 6:06 pm

“999 is only possible on the DS”????

I am assuming you mean an exclusivity licensing arrangement and not something technical. If you mean dual-screen, making a Vita version where we need to hold the Vita vertically works great! I’ve been wanting to play 999, but refuse to give top dollar for yester-decade hardware.

Does the game make use of rear touch, camera, or sixaxis controls unique to the Vita?

I love adventure games and am excited to play this. Thanks for the dual voice assets! I just hope the audio quality is decently high — some of these Vita games have MP3 assets that sound like crap :/

@9, I’m with you — when developers don’t turn on AA or use native resolutions (or use Wii-quality MP3 audio assets) it really bugs me. I try and reward developers and publishers who go to the extra effort with day 1 purchases :)

October 2nd, 7:18 pm

Unfortunately it only makes use of the touch panel and gyroscope features :) (I guess that would be sixaxis)

The audio sounds great on Vita, so not to worry!

tomtomfooleries said:

October 2nd, 6:08 pm

I’ve passed 999 to so many friends this year, and now they each have their own copy! Aksys deserves some mad props for bringing something so different and unique to this side of the globe. I remember hearing that in 999 some of the writing was altered in translation so it could relate to English speakers better. I’m curious since there is a Japanese voice option, does the localization team have to have a localized version of Japanese voices to fit with the English text? If the question doesn’t make sense, that’s okay. I don’t words so good.

October 2nd, 7:19 pm

Aww, you’re so nice! Thanks for spreading the 999 love!

The Japanese voices will still be using the localized English text that the English voices use, if that answers your question :)

SuperSonic1305 said:

October 2nd, 6:47 pm

Are you related to BIG BO?

Luis_ces said:

October 2nd, 7:23 pm

I just went through the demo, found ti very cool, I didn’t play the other 999 game, and had no clue how it would look like, but it really got my attention.

Do you have any idea about the psn price of this game Frank?

Congratulations on making such game, hope it will be a great seller, I am already one of the buyers!

October 2nd, 7:33 pm

Thank you so much!

The PSN version will be priced lower than the retail version, so it’ll be $34.99 :)

divineLite said:

October 2nd, 7:51 pm

This game obviously in my to play with, will look forward for the demo
And it’s great to see demo has small size

TXCScorpion said:

October 2nd, 8:11 pm

Glad to see pretty much everyone is a fan. You never really find a topic in which nearly every post is positive. High five guys.

Koshuu said:

October 2nd, 9:09 pm

I tried out a bit of the narrative demo, I had to leave for work so I couldn’t finish it. However the little I played definitely has my attention, I’m looking forward to finishing up the demo and finding out more about this game. I’m leaning towards a buy, very interesting game.

October 2nd, 11:36 pm

Very exciting to hear that it piqued your interest :)! Hope you have fun playing the rest!

Ladykiller64 said:

October 2nd, 9:40 pm

I’d just like to say that this game is THE reason I’m getting a Vita. And that my anticipation has skyrocket the past couple of weeks.

I still wish there’s an option to have 2D anime style graphics, but that’s not a big deal. It’s already been mentioned, but a Vita port of 999 would be awesome as well. Maybe even Ever17 too since that got a psp release. :)

October 2nd, 11:36 pm

My anticipation for everyone to get to play the full game is pretty high up there too ;)

mikelaury007 said:

October 2nd, 10:58 pm

Just tried this game and man I can’t wait for more. Like the concept already and characters are quirky enough and this is just the demo. Bring it on you demented rabbit puppet..

October 2nd, 11:37 pm

He definitely has more in store for you in the full game! Get ready! :D

TacticalPotato said:

October 3rd, 12:43 am

i just played the demo…is this a sequel to 999 cause theres alot of simliarities???

TacticalPotato said:

October 3rd, 12:44 am

TAKE MY MONEY!!!
“throws money at computer screen but nothing =(“

TacticalPotato said:

October 3rd, 1:56 am

btw from the previous 999, there was some romance element to it. does this also have romance?

KirAMinh said:

October 3rd, 2:24 am

Im havent to try the sequel of this before, so wat if im buy and play this game? Can i understand the storyline ?!

October 3rd, 8:59 am

You can play the game just fine without playing 999, but it will be even more fun and exciting if you can play 999 first ;)

bany_rock said:

October 3rd, 9:03 am

i played and finished the demo last night . i recommend it to EVERYONE to try it out, it doesn´t matter what´s your favorite game genres, every single puzzle solved feel as a great achievement (cause it isn´t that easy) , the demo is an amazing experience, love it!!!

October 3rd, 9:19 am

That’s awesome that you had so much fun with it :D!

And thank you so much for giving it such glowing accolades!

I hope you enjoy the full game when it comes out :)!

TrueProphecy said:

October 3rd, 10:11 am

I absolutely adored the first game. Downloading the demo now to try it later tonight.

Squiggle55 said:

October 3rd, 11:39 am

Huge fan of 999. It was just amazing. I’m looking forward to more visual novel goodness and puzzle solving fun this month.
Just 3 things after playing the demo…

1) Slightly preferred the old art style. Especially during the escape phase on this demo where we only saw the character’s heads next to their text IIRC.
2)I’m positive I liked the control scheme on the DS w/ stylus and 2 screens better than the Vita, so I’m personally leaning towards the 3DS version.
3)Very up in the air on the whole talking evil rabbit thing. I’m assuming it ends up making sense and fitting in with the world.

October 3rd, 1:13 pm

Glad to hear you loved 999!

And everything will make sense once you play the full version of VLR :)

Gemstone-Warrior said:

October 3rd, 2:36 pm

I played the predecessor 999 on the DS a few months ago (until I had experienced all the possible endings) and was thrilled to hear that the next game of this franchise is for the VIita system as well which makes it an instant must-buy for me. Since I am from Europe the 3DS version is no good for me due to its region lock, so it will be the Vita version for me. The Vita system deserves some more good titles, and these pretty unique games are just right up my ally.

October 3rd, 2:59 pm

It’s so cool that Europeans can also participate in the fun of the Zero Escape series :D!

islankleinknecht said:

October 4th, 8:29 am

Great demo, but OMG so many puns!

islankleinknecht said:

October 4th, 1:22 pm

I also take it that Phi watched a lot of Nickelodeon as a kid?

October 4th, 1:37 pm

She’s a very well cultured young woman ;)

jocelotm said:

October 8th, 11:02 am

when will the demo be available for europe???

October 9th, 2:10 pm

That would be up to Rising Star Games, since they’re handling the localization in Europe :)

quibbllesticks said:

October 22nd, 9:27 am

do you know what time the full version will be available on psn? will it be live at midnight or more towards tomorrow afternoon?

PAGE 1 2