No Man's Sky

PlayStation Mobile: FuturLab’s Beats Slider and Fuel Tiracas

James Marsden's Avatar + Posted by James Marsden on Oct 04, 2012 // Managing Director, FuturLab

Beats Slider on PlayStation MobileFuel Tiracas on PlayStation Mobile

Hello folks! Earlier this year we were shouting about shouting about Velocity, and now we’ve got some new things to be excited about. We’ve been hard at work coming up with more simple, elegant and clever ideas, and crafting them into fun and addictive games.

The first of these games is called Beats Slider, and it’s called that because you slide beats around. It’s simple, rather elegant, and pretty clever too…

Beats Slider – Conquer Those Blasted Slider Puzzles!

Each block of the sliding puzzle represents MIDI data, which is basically musical notation that computers can read. MIDI data can be used to play back any instrument, synthesizer, drum loop or whatever you throw at it, just by changing the instruments or samples that are triggered by it.

Beats Slider on PlayStation MobileBeats Slider on PlayStation Mobile

So what we’ve done is allow the player to push a drum loop MIDI pattern into a synthesizer slot, or a melody pattern into a bass line track, and every combination you could think of within the limits of each level. It was quite the brain teaser to write music that can be rearranged in this way whilst still sounding good, but we managed it.

What we’re also doing is teaching people how to solve those blasted slider puzzles. Some people are just able to solve them, but people like you (and me) are often left frowning with frustration. No more. If you play Beats Slider, you will learn how to solve every slider puzzle that will ever be made, whilst also listening to catchy music like this.

Fuel Tiracas – Twitch-On-Touch Done Properly

Hot on the heels of Beats Slider is Fuel Tiracas, which is our attempt at bringing hardcore twitch gaming to touch-based mobile devices!

Fuel Tiracas on PlayStation Mobile07_BedlaFuel Tiracas on PlayStation Mobilem_Fuel

As with all our games, Fuel Tiracas is simple, elegant and a little bit clever, and it takes everything we’ve learned about addictive mechanics from Coconut Dodge and Velocity, and boils them down to their absolute core essence, building the simplest game possible that adequately challenges the following faculties:

• Use manual dexterity to create fast paced action
  • Use memory to take ownership of repeated patterns
  • Make fast decisions in response to random events
  • Look really cool doing all of the above competently

These are the things that make Coconut Dodge and Velocity fun and addictive, and it’s these things that we have literally put right at the player’s fingertips – in their purest form – in Fuel Tiracas.

The game takes place on Planet Tiracas, which currently has no atmosphere, and it’s the player’s job to use Tiracas’ natural resources as Fuel to power giant atmosphere processors!

Fusing together ‘Whack-A-Mole’, ‘Spinning Plates’ and ‘Simon Says’ gameplay, the player must quickly collect fuel (in the form of colored circles) as it appears in one of the six fuel pods to raise the fuel level in a selected fuel gauge, making sure to balance each gauge within its threshold for long enough to generate 100% power to the atmosphere processor. This would all be really easy if the fuel didn’t slowly deplete over time, and that’s the kicker…

It’s simple, fast-paced action with a resource/time management slant, and it’s addictive as hell because, as with Coconut Dodge, the combination of random and predictable elements gives the player the opportunity to memorize and master the patterns that appear, whilst being kept on their toes by random events, leading to Bishop-level exhibitions of skill and speed; and people looking and feeling cool while playing.

Fuel Tiracas has 12 levels that slowly introduce players to the various Fuel Types included in the game, and the real value is in the huge amount of replayability as players learn the patterns and improve their best times, competing for the top spot on global high scores!

And… it costs $0.49.

A PlayStation Vita game for 49 cents.

Hello PlayStation Mobile!

Need more information on PlayStation Mobile? Want to know more about supported tablets and phones? Head here.

James Marsden's Avatar

+ James Marsden on October 4th, 2012 at 7:16 am said:

Hi folks, any questions just let me know :)

James @FuturLab

+ snakeeyes211 on October 4th, 2012 at 7:17 am said:

I love the game I just wish you would’ve added trophy support ;-)

James Marsden's Avatar

+ Paul Sullivan on October 4th, 2012 at 7:47 am said:

While there is no PSN trophy functionality to announce at this time. Your feedback is always appreciated and the on-going development process of the Mobile platform will be impacted by community input like yours. So thanks for letting us know your thoughts about trophy support.

+ snakeeyes211 on October 4th, 2012 at 7:18 am said:

But for $.50 how can you complain ;-)

James Marsden's Avatar

+ James Marsden on October 4th, 2012 at 7:21 am said:

Quite :)

+ annihilation748 on October 4th, 2012 at 7:19 am said:

yes, trophy support?

James Marsden's Avatar

+ James Marsden on October 4th, 2012 at 7:22 am said:

Fuel Tiracas has 12 bespoke Trophies that we included ourselves, but PlayStation Mobile doesn’t support PSN Trophies at present.

+ liammill18 on October 4th, 2012 at 7:24 am said:

Really enjoying both of these games, especially Beats Slider. I always knew there was a reason I had learned to solve these puzzles!

Do you guys have any future plans for PS Mobile support? Also, how was the submission process (not sure if you’re allowed to answer this one).

James Marsden's Avatar

+ James Marsden on October 4th, 2012 at 7:29 am said:

Hiya, great to hear :)

Yes, we are hard at work on a third PlayStation Mobile title. Well, I’m not hard at work on it, I’ve been playing it all morning :)

Submission process was incredibly straightforward. Both games had a Sony QA cycle of 1 day.

Definitely worth getting involved in the PSM program if you have a good idea!

+ LABARONX on October 4th, 2012 at 7:26 am said:

just wanted to let you know i LOVED VELOCITY and will be picking up these two titles today…

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK

James Marsden's Avatar

+ James Marsden on October 4th, 2012 at 7:30 am said:

Amazin’, thanks very much for the support.

Happy you LOVED velocity too :)

+ Elvick_ on October 4th, 2012 at 7:54 am said:

These games are fun, I suck at slider puzzles though. :(

+ Ryumoau on October 4th, 2012 at 8:09 am said:

$0.49 sounds like the right price. guess i’ll pick it up later today.

James Marsden's Avatar

+ James Marsden on October 4th, 2012 at 8:11 am said:

Good stuff! :)

Please let us know what you think on Facebook (facebook.com/futurlab), Twitter (@FuturLab) or our website: http://www.futurlab.co.uk :)

+ Green-Elf on October 4th, 2012 at 8:27 am said:

$0.49? Well, there goes any semblance of restraint for not spending cash on PSN this week.

+ islankleinknecht on October 4th, 2012 at 8:35 am said:

Great to hear about the prices, some of these PSM games seem awfully high.

+ banjo5150 on October 4th, 2012 at 9:46 am said:

I am a fan of the price. I not a business major but some of these seem high. Would you rather sell a PSM game at 5-8 bucks and sell very few or jump in at .50-1.00 and sell a ton of them? I don’t know much about these games but I will gladly throw down the dollar or so to grab these games. Hell I have a couple bucks left over in my PSN wallet just sitting there.

+ R-O-Ofaliss on October 4th, 2012 at 10:03 am said:

Hi, James! Enjoying both games, but I gotta ask… When can we expect to see a new Velocity on PS Mobile? I know you and your crew of evil genius’ are going to give us something, Velocity was too epic not to! Don’t forget the two-piece this time!

+ nixice on October 4th, 2012 at 11:38 am said:

Huh, Beats Slider uses the logo from the old PSP game. I remember this game used to be called BeatSlider, did Sony approach you guys to make this puzzler part of this music line? I don’t know how many people remember that old game but it helped draw my ears towards Beats Slider and I like what I’m hearing so I hope it works out for you guys!

+ acwey on October 4th, 2012 at 11:59 am said:

I’m getting U$0,79. Is the right?

+ ID_Arti on October 4th, 2012 at 1:03 pm said:

When I saw 0.49 I thought I misplaced the dot…
Vita here I come

+ FORMIK on October 4th, 2012 at 1:54 pm said:

Both of these look great, and an excellent introduction to the new platform.

+ CommandingTiger on October 6th, 2012 at 9:40 pm said:

Perfect little game for Vita.