Driveclub

Ragnarok Odyssey for PS Vita: Cards and Classes Revealed

Brittany Avery's Avatar + Posted by Brittany Avery on Oct 04, 2012 // Production Assistant, XSEED Games

It’s Ragnarok Odyssey time! I wanted to share more details about the game’s beloved card equipment system, as well as the six job classes available in-game, so if you’re all about the meat of the gameplay, this will be an informative blog entry for you.

If any of you have played Ragnarok Online, you may already be familiar with how cards work in Ragnarok Odyssey. For those who haven’t played, don’t worry! I’ll explain. You will find cards in shops and from defeated monsters. Depending on what monster you defeat, different things will appear on these cards, such as their likeness, rarity, and specific new abilities and stat boosts. Taking advantage of this is easy, as all armor in the game has a Card Capacity gauge – and the more you upgrade your armor, the more cards you can equip. It’s a nifty little system for when you need an extra boost in firepower to defeat an ugly FrostGiant (they really aren’t all that cute) or a little extra HP.

Ragnarok Odyssey for PS VitaRagnarok Odyssey for PS Vita

How else do you change abilities in this game? Naturally, you change job classes. Ragnarok Odyssey provides six awesomely awesome job classes for you to choose from: Sword Warrior, Hammersmith, Mage, Assassin, Hunter and Cleric. While they’re all readily prepared for battle, they each have their own advantages, so don’t be afraid to experiment and find which one suits you most (Hammersmith is where it’s at, by the way).

The Sword Warrior is the most balanced of the job classes, which shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise. A good offense and defense, as well as speedy combos and the ability to guard come with this package. While not necessarily the best at anything, this job class’s stats are far from the bottom, and it’s a great pick for beginners to play when getting a hang of the controls.

Ragnarok Odyssey for PS VitaRagnarok Odyssey for PS Vita

The Hammersmith (yeeeeah!) is the powerhouse of the group. This job class sacrifices speed in exchange for unmatchable raw power, as evidenced by the slow — but exceptionally devastating — hits with a giant hammer that can easily knock enemies across the screen. Unfortunately, because the hammer is a two-handed weapon, you cannot guard. Just be sure to always keep your wits about you as you take the offensive.

The Mage job class is as flashy and fabulous as you might imagine. While not particularly high in either defense or offense, mages have an uncanny ability to unexpectedly turn the tides of battle with elemental damage. This is also a job that can really take advantage of cards which increase elemental damage, because whether it’s a giant ball of fire or a chunk of the earth protruding from the ground, mages are all about being in their element.

Assassins are fast. And when I say fast, I mean really, really fast. In the time a Hammersmith does one attack, they do like, five and stuff. Sure, their attacks are among the weakest of the job classes, but add up each individual strike and the damage count can become quite staggering. For those who absolutely love fast-paced combat (as well as a sleek design, because the outfits are awesome), this is the job for you.

Ragnarok Odyssey for PS Vita

Hunters are the best option for those that prefer to hang back a little. Their defense is the lowest among the job classes, but so long as you stand a good bit away from your enemy, that won’t be a problem. This job is perfect for taking advantage of the lock-on ability, and you can send arrow after arrow in record time – or, if you’re in the mood for showmanship, charge your tension and be ready for a flurry of arrows.

And last, but not least, is the Cleric job class. Just as Hunters have the lowest defense, Clerics have the highest – their defense, as well as their HP, is unmatched. They can guard, too, and with the right timing, can counterattack right after guarding, making them a potent fighter. Just as their name implies, they can heal party members, too, so be sure to have a Cleric whenever you’re doing online multiplayer! It could save you a lot of hassle.

That’s all for today, folks! Ragnarok Odyssey, should be coming out later this month – we’ll let you know the exact release date soon, so keep your eyes peeled!

PAGE 1 2 3

+ B66_butterfly on October 5th, 2012 at 9:14 am said:

I really hope their will be a demo. Personally I am not willing to pay anything above 35dollars unless it is really good and I have had the chance to try it out. I don’t know about this game more than watching it on yt… but it looks so pretty <3

Brittany Avery's Avatar

+ Brittany Avery on October 5th, 2012 at 10:19 am said:

We’re looking into the possibility of a demo, so keep on the lookout for it, but we definitely think the game will be worth your while if you love action. :>

+ PokeYorch on October 5th, 2012 at 9:25 am said:

Brittany! got a question!

Is there a slight posibility that xseed will consider to individually sell the pack of monster cards?

Because i want to collect the 50 cards =D

Thanks for your answer in advance =)

Brittany Avery's Avatar

+ Brittany Avery on October 5th, 2012 at 10:26 am said:

That is something we are definitely pursuing, though we’re still ironing out the details. And I’m happy you like the monster cards idea so much because it was my idea! (mwahaha) I love collecting cards, too, hahah.

+ gus_xl on October 5th, 2012 at 9:27 am said:

Can’t wait for this game to come out… Every time I get one of those emails from Amazon that says the release date is pushed back, it’s like a little dagger to the heart.

Brittany Avery's Avatar

+ Brittany Avery on October 5th, 2012 at 10:27 am said:

Places like Amazon have estimated placeholder dates since they need a release date for pre-orders, but the only official announcement we’ve given is “October.” We’ll have our hearts set when we announce a release date for sure, and we’re happy you’re excited for it! :D

+ JongJungBu on October 5th, 2012 at 9:56 am said:

What’s the download size for the PSN Digital download version, and will it be the same price as retail ($39.99)?

Brittany Avery's Avatar

+ Brittany Avery on October 5th, 2012 at 10:29 am said:

Yup! The digital and physical standard edition of Ragnarok Odyssey are both $39.99, while the Mercenary Edition is $49.99. :>

+ angibri2000 on October 5th, 2012 at 11:36 am said:

Wow! It feels nice when someone who posts actually answers almost every comment! Thank you Brittany! =)

+ dragonlance117 on October 5th, 2012 at 12:03 pm said:

i have qustion what limited copy of game i pre order at ebgame and big Ragnarok fan use play mmo all the time but let know what where get though and the other thing wonder if there going to make game for ps3 as well later

+ Assassin-T000 on October 5th, 2012 at 3:51 pm said:

So much stuff its overwhelming! Will there be a type of online play for this game.

+ g0dz_3aT3r70 on October 5th, 2012 at 5:05 pm said:

So October 30tb is just the announcement date? Is there a possibility for Ragnarok Odyssey to be released in November? Or is October is the exact release? Thanks

+ g0dz_3aT3r70 on October 5th, 2012 at 5:05 pm said:

October 30th I meant

+ checkcola on October 5th, 2012 at 5:56 pm said:

I did put a pre-order in for this awhile back because I like the vibrant colors.

Truth be told, I really don’t care when it comes out in Oct because I am getting the white vita bundle as well, so I can’t play it till I have that first anyway.

+ sammyas12 on October 5th, 2012 at 6:38 pm said:

The game come to Mexico in physical or digital only?

+ BlueBl1zzard on October 5th, 2012 at 8:22 pm said:

I really hope this doesn’t come out on the 30th, too many good games coming out at that time. But either way I already have the Mercenary Edition preordered and paid off so I probably shouldn’t complain.

Definitely choosing either the hammersmith or hunter class, reminds me of my good old monster hunter days : )

Thanks XSEED and Brittany! Can’t wait!!

+ DARKMAN_X845 on October 5th, 2012 at 9:50 pm said:

Hey any chance of bringing Muramasa: the Demon Blade to the VIta in the US?

+ SephTiger on October 5th, 2012 at 9:57 pm said:

If the Mercenary Edition is postponed to the 30th like GameStop’s website says, it’ll be awesome to pick this up alongside my white Vita preorder.

+ Catoplepas on October 6th, 2012 at 3:29 am said:

I imported the localized Asian version of this a couple of weeks ago. Mopped up the plat yesterday.

Great game overall, though the difficulty spikes can be somewhat steep. I wouldn’t personally count it’s challenging nature a detractor though.

+ GankstaMac on October 6th, 2012 at 4:05 am said:

any word of when will we be getting party chatt in multiplayer coop??i want this bad n this game……its da only thing got me holding off on my preorder…….i hate typing mess as this should have been the 1st thing added 2 this game is voice chatt…we need party chatt…we have the hardware 2 use it so y not….n a nice game like dis….come on devz ,,,,work yall magic …….please comment on a date or patch or even a time-frame thx

+ syscoman on October 6th, 2012 at 5:30 am said:

Will I made my decision to get the limited edition. I hope it gets released before November settles in.

+ DarkOne_PR on October 6th, 2012 at 7:56 am said:

I have mine fully paid already. Just wanted to know if the party chat functionality works since im gonna play this game with a friend and we wont like if we play the game in complete silence. THIS NEED VOICE CHAT :)

+ D-Squad3 on October 6th, 2012 at 4:34 pm said:

Well we each have our own Vita (3 in total, 3 separate PSN IDs) but if we wanted to take turns playing the same copy, I’ve still got a feeling that we will all need an online pass. :(

+ Yuranium on October 6th, 2012 at 7:04 pm said:

@119 if u all buy a copy of the game im sure it will come with an online pass for each game. thats how all the vita games have been. and im pretty sure this game dont need any online pass and playing online is totally free coz it was built based for multiplayer purpose not entirely but mostly. so yea no need to post 900 posts worrying about the online passes

+ D-Squad3 on October 6th, 2012 at 8:51 pm said:

@120

You’re not understanding my situation

– 3 people in my house have a Vita
– I only want to buy 1 copy for all of us to share
– If it does in fact have an online pass (which I’m sure it will) then I would have to buy 2 more online passes so we can all play the same copy of the game on our own Vitas on our own PSN accounts online.

We’re not trying to play all at once because it’s common sense that we would all need our own copy. I’m talking about taking turns with the game.

+ CommandingTiger on October 6th, 2012 at 9:26 pm said:

Will there be a digital version of the game on the PSN?
Since I plan on keeping this game everywhere I go on my Memory Card. Or at least until the next game arrives.

+ g0dz_3aT3r70 on October 7th, 2012 at 11:34 am said:

Ill ask again since my question was not answered

1. Is October 30th another placeholder date?

+ g0dz_3aT3r70 on October 7th, 2012 at 11:35 am said:

I would appreciate if my question is answered. Thanks im going to pre order Ragnarok Odyssey today

+ BlueBl1zzard on October 7th, 2012 at 12:22 pm said:

@g0dz_3aT3r70 Brittany already said that yes October 30th is just a placeholder date. The official date has not yet been revealed, although it is still expected to be sometime in October (I’m still hoping for Oct. 16 like what was originally planned)

+ g0dz_3aT3r70 on October 7th, 2012 at 2:57 pm said:

Just pre ordered the game today. Do you have to pay again when the game gets pushed back? Thanks.

+ g0dz_3aT3r70 on October 7th, 2012 at 2:57 pm said:

I pre ordered it on Gamestop

+ Aevanilla on October 10th, 2012 at 1:50 pm said:

Release date confirmed! Oct. 30!

+ AfroGamerNinja on October 11th, 2012 at 10:41 am said:

Does this game have a free roam mode like Phantasy Star Online 2?

I’m mostly asking because I don’t want to rush my playthrough and rather explore the different environments this game offers.

+ Belkan2087 on October 12th, 2012 at 9:24 am said:

Hunter class!!!.

+ ShortChangeCat on October 14th, 2012 at 10:48 am said:

I am so excited for this game to come out!
I’m on a strict ramen only diet/budget just so I can get it! haha can’t wait!
also anyone who wants to play online add me! ^,..,^

+ AnniLynn on October 18th, 2012 at 5:48 am said:

Awesome…been waiting for this game, will be my first time playing it so I’m a noob >.< but hey we all had to start somewhere? I'll admit it…I only pre-ordered it because of the Assassin class.

+ CidALMIGHTY on October 23rd, 2012 at 7:39 pm said:

Additionally, as I have been surfing the internet about Ragnarok I have noticed a few of you having queries about universal Co-op play, and Gung Ho told us that everyone “should” be able to play together, since the servers are all hosted in Japan for all regions.

Once it come to the USA will we get USA Servers or will they stay Japan Servers. Just asking to see about lag problem if there be any.

+ jheffheart14 on October 28th, 2012 at 5:17 am said:

I have the Ragnarok Odyssey R3 version Chinese/English..Can i transfer my save File in US Version.

+ diegohp69 on October 28th, 2012 at 3:27 pm said:

one word…AWESOME!!!

+ g0dz_3aT3r70 on October 29th, 2012 at 8:21 am said:

Why is it pushed back to NOVEMBER 2ND??? D: i thought its confirmed tht it will be released on US in October 30th (gamestop)???? So is it another placeholder or confirmed??? Please Answer ASAP thanks XSEED. Needed to wait until Saturday then :(

PAGE 1 2 3