No Man's Sky

Introducing ibb and obb: Turning PSN Upside Down Next Spring

Richard Boeser's Avatar + Posted by Richard Boeser on Oct 08, 2012 // Creative Director, Sparpweed

ibb and obb is a cooperative puzzle-platformer with a gravity twist that will launch on PSN next spring. In the earliest stages of development, the game was called Brothers. Looking back at that now, it means a lot more than I thought it did. My fondest memories of games are those that I played together with my brother or close friends. It has always surprised me how few games are really designed around two-player interaction.

With ibb and obb we’ve tried to do just that. The gameplay revolves around a world with two directions of gravity, but even more so it’s about the interaction between the players. All elements in the game are designed for two, ranging from the way you solve puzzles to handling enemies. For example, when one player takes out an enemy the other tries to be ready on the other side of the split to fetch the reward.

ibb and obb - world 2

In the game you explore five worlds consisting of three levels each. Visually, the mood starts out very colorful and adventurous, slowly changing into a somewhat darker atmosphere. The same transition can be found in the music, all of which is composed by Kettel. I’ve been a fan of his music for a long time and was super happy when he said he’d gladly join the project. His music has a pleasant melancholic feel to it that really fits the visual mood of the game.

Throughout the game new mechanics are introduced that add to the previous ones. Some change the way you can move around, like the gravity bubbles, while others change what you can see depending on the distance between the players. In the end, puzzles become quite complex, but by then you should have become well practised in double gravity acrobatics.

This is our first production and it’s very exciting to see it getting closer and closer to release. Currently we’re polishing the game and setting up the online multiplayer mode. I look forward to hearing your opinions and keeping you up-to-date on the development. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

For more frequent updates about the state of the game, you can find ibb and obb on Facebook and Twitter.

+ Elvick_ on October 8th, 2012 at 7:04 am said:

Reminds me of ilomilo.

+ F1rsTag on October 8th, 2012 at 7:11 am said:

Two player platformer? count me in!

+ Man-is-Obsolete on October 8th, 2012 at 7:13 am said:

Games looks great and I love these types of games. I love them even more on the Vita. Any plans for a Vita version?

Richard Boeser's Avatar

+ Richard Boeser on October 8th, 2012 at 7:31 am said:

Hi,
    Right now we’re fully focused on the PS3 version. I think it would look and play really nice on the Vita, but we have no fixed plans for that yet. It all depends a bit on how the game will do.

+ jml_809 on October 8th, 2012 at 7:26 am said:

A very interesting take on gravity based platformer with the likes of Super Mario Galaxy.

+ Stinvil93 on October 8th, 2012 at 7:27 am said:

Vita release please. Need some cool games to play on my vita. This looks amazing

+ Man-is-Obsolete on October 8th, 2012 at 7:39 am said:

Thanks for the response. I planned on getting this on PS3 when I first heard of this game awhile ago. So you have at least one sale.

+ Wozman23 on October 8th, 2012 at 7:46 am said:

Caught wind of this some time ago. It combines two of my favorite things: whimsical platformers and couch co-op. Glad to see a release window.

+ DrApollo on October 8th, 2012 at 7:54 am said:

Looks fantastic! A Vita version would be welcomed as well. Hope this gets supported by the community.

+ IzoGray on October 8th, 2012 at 7:55 am said:

I just want to let you guys know that this game looks absolutely amazing but I will not be buying this unless it’s on Vita.

There’s too many amazing games that take up my time on my PS3 on my beautiful TV. If you guys want to sell this game you need it on Vita.

I’m just saying. Having these types of 2D games on the PS3 only doesn’t make sense anymore. There’s not enough time in the day to play all these different games and if I had to choose I’m going to play the AAA game I bought at retail.

With that said, this is a day 1 purchase if it’s released on Vita. Remember that.

Richard Boeser's Avatar

+ Richard Boeser on October 8th, 2012 at 8:08 am said:

Hi IzoGray,

I think a lot of people agree with you and would want it on the Vita. The reason why we first focus on the PS3 version is because playing the game together on a couch with a friend seems the perfect setup. That said, we’re sure we can make the online experience great fun and I would love to see it on a Vita too : )

+ G-Force08 on October 8th, 2012 at 7:59 am said:

Wow, this game looks great. I love these type of puzzle games and the trailer – with the music and unique art style – was beautiful. I’m really interested in seeing how this game develops.

Also: To the people who are clamoring for a Vita version of the game; Keep in mind this is a co-op game. That might not be so viable for the Vita at the moment.

+ GhostMachine1 on October 8th, 2012 at 8:05 am said:

Does this game have one player? Anyway, this game looks like so much fun. I love platformer/puzzle games.

Richard Boeser's Avatar

+ Richard Boeser on October 8th, 2012 at 8:10 am said:

Hello,

The game is designed for two players. One is ibb the other is obb.
    You can play single player, which allows you to control both characters at the same time using both analogue sticks. This is very difficult though and intented for those who want to practice their multitasking skills : )

Richard Boeser's Avatar

+ Richard Boeser on October 8th, 2012 at 8:06 am said:

Hi IzoGray,

+ gus_xl on October 8th, 2012 at 8:35 am said:

This game makes me sad that I don’t have friends that play games.

+ CheesyMonkey on October 8th, 2012 at 8:37 am said:

Looks amazing, BUT the two main characters do not fit the look of the rest of the world. They need a redesign immediately. It hurts my brain to see them in this world.

Just a heads up, it would really help with attachment to the product and thus sales.

+ snakeeyes211 on October 8th, 2012 at 8:57 am said:

With all the little creatures that you’re making commit suicide in this game it should be rated M for
ME lol

+ NHDrumline17 on October 8th, 2012 at 9:00 am said:

I played this a couple of weeks ago at Fantastic Fest Arcade and was blown away by how simplistic and fun it was. People were coming up to the demo station and having a blast, even though they weren’t even gamers. Love the art style, and can’t wait until it comes out.

+ luvtoseek on October 8th, 2012 at 9:43 am said:

Top marks on the graphical style! Port it over to the Vita & I’ll buy both!! Thanks for the info, Richard!

+ yoko379 on October 8th, 2012 at 10:30 am said:

This game looks really, really good. I’ll definitely buy this on for my PS3, and if it did come out for Vita, I’d get it for that too as long as there was some sort of discount involved if you have the PS3 version as well. It’d be great to have my friend playing it on my PS3 and myself playing it on the Vita, that would be an instant buy for me on both whether or not there was a discount involved.

+ thejonesyman on October 8th, 2012 at 11:08 am said:

This game already has me excited to play with my son. He is going to love this! Also, I was struck by the soundtrack, I hope that will be available to purchase, or at the very least be similar to what’s in the game!

Richard Boeser's Avatar

+ Richard Boeser on October 9th, 2012 at 2:23 am said:

Hi,

All music in the game is made by Kettel. He aims to have release the soundtrack simultaneously with the launch of the game.

The music in game is very similar to what you hear in the debut trailer. The music changes to where you are in the levels. If you want to hear how it sounds in game you can watch this video:

+ camiwaits_us on October 8th, 2012 at 1:09 pm said:

I like how it looks!

+ plaztiksyke on October 8th, 2012 at 2:55 pm said:

Will the rendering and graphics assets be 1080p native?

Who’s doing the music? Well the audio assets be losslessly-compressed?

Always looking for local co-op games that aren’t too easy/kiddie-oriented, thanks for giving us a new one! :)

Richard Boeser's Avatar

+ Richard Boeser on October 9th, 2012 at 2:28 am said:

Hi,

The game is designed for 1080p. All assets in the game are actually models and there are virtually no textures or sprites used.

I believe the audio compression is lossless, but not 100% sure. All music is composed by Kettel. More about him can be found here:

+ Berae on October 8th, 2012 at 6:41 pm said:

It looks great! Look forward for more

+ midnightshade on October 8th, 2012 at 6:54 pm said:

This looks amazing!! Can’t wait!

+ ytl1986 on October 8th, 2012 at 7:57 pm said:

Awesome! Can’t wait. Gotta Vita up this game.

+ Thiagots85 on October 9th, 2012 at 5:56 am said:

caught my interest

+ bnecker717 on October 10th, 2012 at 3:21 pm said:

This game looks really cool! Is it playable online with a friend or only locally? Also, I’d like to say what a lot of others have said so far that this would be great on the Vita! Hopefully that will be something that will happen down the road. :-)

Richard Boeser's Avatar

+ Richard Boeser on October 11th, 2012 at 3:52 am said:

Hi,

You’ll be able to play locally and online. We have no fixed plans for a Vita release yet, but we have had a lot of people that wrote the would want that. So we will seriously consider it. First though we’re focusing on the PS3 launch and will take it from there.