Tearaway Unfolded

Oct 08

PlayStation Plus Update

PlayStation Plus Update: King of Fighters XIII Free For Members

Morgan Haro's Avatar Posted by Morgan Haro on Oct 08, 2012 // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

Once again, we’re here to brighten your Monday with the weekly update on incoming Plus content this week. So far in October, NFL Blitz joined the Instant Game Collection and Plus members received some discounts on Alex Kidd and Spelunker. This week, please join us in thanking our friends at Atlus for delivering the legendary King of Fighters XIII, free for Plus members! These updates will take effect with the October 9th (that’s tomorrow!) PlayStation Store update.

Don’t have PlayStation Plus? Go to the PlayStation Store on your PS3 or click here to get access.

October 9th PlayStation Plus Update

King of Fighters XIII

Free for PlayStation Plus Members
Select Add-Ons (An additional 30% off the PSN Sale Price)

King of Fighters XIII captured the attention of the fighting game community at this year’s amazingly salty EVO 2012 fighting game tournament. That said, we’re happy to get this deep fighter in to the hands of Plus members everywhere! With tons of play modes, a refined, faster paced engine, over 30 beautifully rendered and animated characters, all with great online play; this is one fighter you won’t want to miss. You’ll also find select Add-ons, including extra characters Mr. Karate, on sale for 30% off the PSN sale price, which is 50% off the regular store price. If you want to see how crazy the game can get, check out the final match in this year’s tournament. Epic stuff.

The Revenge of Shinobi

80% Discount for PlayStation Plus Members (Regular Price: $4.99, PS Plus Price: $1.00)

SEGA’s got more gaming to deliver this week with The Revenge of Shinobi available to Plus members for just $1. The Genesis original holds up with the gameplay and music you remember (as well as the crazy difficulty). With save anywhere capabilities, Trophy support, and graphical touch ups for an HD close-up, it’s an accessible classic that everyone should play.

Derrick the Deathfin (New PSN Release)

30% Discount (Regular Price: $7.99, PS Plus Price: $5.59)

You may have seen the PlayStation.Blog post revealing this PSN exclusive, and Plus members will be able to jump on a release week discount for this unique underwater papercraft action game (yes, that’s accurate). Packing an amazing artistic design, 32 handcrafted levels, and diverse gameplay, it’s a steal at just over $5.

Finally, we’ve got another poll for you. This time, we’re curious to know what you would be most interested to see in PS Plus on PS Vita. The service is scheduled to arrive this November, and we’ll have more concrete information as we lead up to launch. And remember, it’s all one Plus subscription whether you get Plus now, or later. Don’t forget to also rank this post in the upper right corner too; we use all that data.

What type of benefits would you place as most important for PS Plus for PS Vita?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

That’s it for this week. Make sure you check out tomorrow’s PlayStation Store update post to see all the details for this week’s Plus update, and come back next week when we’ll have more great Plus news to share (including another free game for October 16th). See you in the comments, where I’m sure you’ll let us know what you think!

PlayStation Plus Update 10-9-2012

Get PlayStation Plus

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 9

+ wrrfwefw on October 8th, 2012 at 3:08 pm said:

Thx but psn+ FAR BETTER.
What games will be removed for KOFXIII?

+ wrrfwefw on October 8th, 2012 at 3:12 pm said:

@CrazyGuy62 your point have no sense and fix your cap lock.

+ D33DL1T on October 8th, 2012 at 3:14 pm said:

Great update !!!

+ race2winnet on October 8th, 2012 at 3:18 pm said:

On the subject of Plus for Vita, I am begging you, please DO NOT include Virtua Tennis 4, Hot Shots Golf or Hustle Kings in the IGC. Not that I don’t like these games, quite the opposite actually, but simply because these games have been the only Vita games offered with a Plus discount so far. I assume that most of us grabbed those games when they were discounted a few months ago, I know that I did, and I am afraid that the comments would be flooded with complaints (even more so than usual!) We all have seen how gravely upset people get when a game that has been given previous Plus discounts (Hustle Kings has been discounted twice already) is then given away for free.

I really am looking forward to Plus for Vita and I cannot wait for November, although I am pretty sure that I will be quite busy with AC3: Liberation. Morgan, do you have a timetable on an announcement that will give details on the Vita program or is that something that we will have to find out when it launches?

+ Vcheese on October 8th, 2012 at 3:20 pm said:

Great game, too bad i own it already. Very excited for what may come for psvita plus next month!

+ YungShep on October 8th, 2012 at 3:24 pm said:

@203 u make valid points!!! dead nation was discounted twice before it was free.. and i sincerely hope games like escape plan, pulZar, little deviants, or modnation racers are not apart of the IGC….

ive decided im gonna wait out the remainder of this month for renewing ps plus. i need to see what the vita is gonna come up with. i have confidence, but slowly losing faith..

+ elnxno on October 8th, 2012 at 3:24 pm said:

This cool and I thought that I would buy but I expect a good time haha

+ MakoSOLIDER on October 8th, 2012 at 3:27 pm said:

Requesting Sorcery please!

As for Vita I really do not think there are enough GOOD games to give and if u give the good ones most likely we prob own them already…

+ tusunami on October 8th, 2012 at 3:34 pm said:

And who says being a Ps Plus member isn’t worth it LoL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ DazeOfWar on October 8th, 2012 at 3:35 pm said:

Well I was just going to download KoF to try it out but after watching the trailer I’ve realized I’m never going to play it. Hopefully next week will bring something in my area of fun. Hell I’d be happier to get the Phineas and Ferb game over these last 2 games.

+ SamuelSpade on October 8th, 2012 at 3:42 pm said:

@207 I agree that to give out Vita only games is a poor choice. I really don’t think there’s enough games to give away. I’ve already purchased all the games that I’ve wanted (and some that I just needed something to play) on my Vita. There’s probably alot of Vita owners just like us.
It’s be great for new adapters, but I’m not one of those.

+ dodgedoors on October 8th, 2012 at 3:43 pm said:

210 the poll is for what is most important, they are saying we will get all of thos offers, just personally what you want most.

+ RyanNR on October 8th, 2012 at 3:44 pm said:

I saw someone complain that it’s ONLY ONE free game (this week!). Are you kidding me? I’m loving all the free stuff Sony and the devs are handing out. In a way, it somewhat resembles the free-to-play model in that you get something for free, but there’s dlc etc. that you can buy if you really like the game.

Sure PS plus isn’t free, but it sure beats the heck out of the competition ::cough:: xbox ::cough::

Keep up the good work, Sony! I’ll be with you when PS4 rolls around!

+ SamuelSpade on October 8th, 2012 at 3:53 pm said:

@211 No they did not say we get all of those offers, they asked what we are most interested in.

+ BunnySavior on October 8th, 2012 at 3:55 pm said:

KOF sounds ok, though I am not much of a fighting game fan. Plus the past weeks two fighting games were already released, Scott Pilgrim and Double dragon; sure they might be side scroller style but fighting games they are. Zzzz

+ Meccs on October 9th, 2012 at 10:00 am said:

What I meant was: I have episode 1 and 2 from PS plus. If I cancel my plus membership and buy episode 2-5 as addons (not the season pass), can I still play them? I should lose access to episodes 1 and 2… but what about the other episodes?

+ Sh0nuffThaMasta on October 9th, 2012 at 10:03 am said:

+ YungShep on October 9th, 2012 at 6:46 am said:

if we didnt have the IGC we wouldnt have nothing to complain about.

Im sorry you have to deal with this kind of logic, Morgan. I truely am.

+ davionwalker22 on October 9th, 2012 at 10:04 am said:

no walking dead episode 4

+ DCS-Tekken on October 9th, 2012 at 10:06 am said:

As a Plus Member myself and i only Buy Fighting Games… This is the First Fighting Game that Plus has given us so far… So for those of u complaining about it…. Shut ur traps! U get FREE games all the time. Stuff that people like me never play and doesn’t give a Rats A** about!

KOFXIII yes i have it on the Disc. I buy all my Games on the Disc. But to get some as FREE Downloads now is a Big Plus for me. I don’t have to change disc to disc to play my games. That alone is a Plus!

Oh one thing u all seem to forget these games may be FREE now but if ur Plus Expires… The Games are gone then also. It be better if they made these games $1.00 each that way we own them no matter what!

+ Sevyne on October 9th, 2012 at 10:12 am said:

@324: WRONG! They gave away Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown. Is that not a fighting game now? Not complaining about KoF XIII, but don’t spreads misinformation like that.

+ Isidrera on October 9th, 2012 at 10:13 am said:

Great, Europe gets, Hell Yeah! Wrath of Dead Rabbit, Bulletstorm and RE5 gold edition, plus they already have Red Dead and Dead Space 2 among others, and we get, a incomplete version of starhawk, an arcade NFL and King of fighters(that is the only one that doesn’t suck this month), and the administrator wont even reply my comment because he knows how ridiculous the comparison between ps plus US and EU is.

+ Mox007 on October 9th, 2012 at 10:19 am said:

The only way I would want Vita / PSP compatible games for Plus is if it meant bring new PSP (not old) games to the Vita that otherwise might not see a North American release.

Ex: Valkyria Chronicles 3

+ SLICK_T on October 9th, 2012 at 10:19 am said:

+ USCCM …… Bro you will learn very fast that us loyal real hardcore PS3 gamers that have invested a lot of our time and money over spans of years aren’t allowed to voice our constructive criticism to the blog or else the ones calling us trolls will attack like they some sony lawyer taking up for them everytime aka like @ PrimeroIncognito. That person does nothing but kiss sony’s feet 24/7. If they get robbed blind by Sony yhey still act all happy and fruity and praise sony like they perfect. I have learned to just laugh at them and move forward with what I need to say. If they get all emotional over my constructive criticism then I guess they should seek therapy. We all have our rights to vent constructive criticism and if you don’t like it then tough cookies cause you can’t stop us. Vent and cry away cause I’m laughing at you. Oh and + Sevyne you make me scratch my head. You defended the blog and sony from my constructive criticism a while back and now your attacking them? Pinch me this can’t be happening lol.

+ davionwalker22 on October 9th, 2012 at 10:25 am said:

no walking dead??

+ SLICK_T on October 9th, 2012 at 10:29 am said:

I’m getting confused over the walking dead as well. I hear rumors its coming out today the 4th episode but I’ve seen nothing official stating that. You guy’s guess is as good as mine.

+ marc2henri on October 9th, 2012 at 10:37 am said:

not really care about psp games. i have psp games and a psp
give us free vita games only no crappy classic ps1 or psp.

thank you.

+ Sevyne on October 9th, 2012 at 10:38 am said:

@328: I probably defended them for a reason though. I don’t just trash Sony for the sake of trashing them, or praise them for no reason like some blind fanboy. If they do something awesome then I’ll say it. If they do something that angers me then I’ll say it. They don’t ALWAYS miss the mark, but when they do (and they do often) they miss it by miles. That’s just how it is.

+ boomstickbhg on October 9th, 2012 at 10:39 am said:

I’ve been doing the math on these posts for a while now myself.

There is a very high percent of people unhappy with plus posting.

If your math tells you otherwise, go back to school kid cause you learned wrong and need to redo the class.

+ SLICK_T on October 9th, 2012 at 10:39 am said:

@ + marc2henri…….. I AGREE 100%!

+ Sevyne on October 9th, 2012 at 10:41 am said:

@331: That really wouldn’t be a very feasible option though. The library for Vita just isn’t big enough to support PS Plus for Vita games only. It’s probably going to have to be a mix of Vita,PSP, and maybe PSOne games. I’d love it to be Vita games only, but they’d run out of games to give out in like a month lol.

+ dodgedoors on October 9th, 2012 at 10:41 am said:

Launch already. Take my money. I just found out walking dead is coming today too. I wanna buy both twd, rcr, and Derrick. Take my moneyyyyy please.

+ boomstickbhg on October 9th, 2012 at 10:43 am said:

+ to my last post.

Morgan, just because you ignore most of the issues people bring up (maybe you’re not allowed/dont have answers) doesn’t make the complaints any less real.

It always amuses me when you reply to a post and only respond to the most positive part (for sony) but ignore the real issues with Plus that are also part of the same post (a habit I’ve seen over and over and over…)

Someone could post 5 lines about Plus issues, and 1 or 2 words saying they like sony and you’ll respond to the ‘i like sony’ part… really?

Do the math, how many of your posts since the IGC say things like ‘wait until next week’ ‘we have great stuf coming’ and then we wait and watch and are dissapointed over and over again. Do the math on how many of your replies ignore the main point of the post your reply to.

NA Plus is broken Morgan and the communications are also faltering, just do the math as you like to.

+ Sevyne on October 9th, 2012 at 10:44 am said:

@333: He’s probably doing the math on Plus members who download the games vs members who don’t. THAT btw is incredibly stupid too, because even if you are unhappy with what they are giving you you are still going to download the games because you are paying for access to them even if they royally suck. Doesn’t mean we’re happy about them or will actually play the garbage we get.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on October 9th, 2012 at 12:05 pm said:

doing the math on the community feedback dude

+ SLICK_T on October 9th, 2012 at 10:51 am said:

@ + Sevyne…….. I’m the same way as you and praise them when they deserve praise and will vent when I need to but when I vent on here and its a LOT, I get attacked as well as many others on here and we get called trolls and to go buy a Xbox. That is funny knowing the fact I left Xbox 360 in May of 2007 to go PS3 and never looked back. I have invested over $4,000 since 2007 in Sony decives, consoles and PSN so I’m far from a dumb troll. If I vent constructive criticism against Sony its for a legit reason and to help Sony do things better. Their is no need to tell us to buy a Xbox or call us trolls. We invest our hard earned money into this company and probably more than the sony fanboy’s so its a little dumb attacking us cause were venting. We vent cause we love Sony and want it better and it improved to benefit all of us ps3 gamers and vita gamers. Calling us trolls or to get Xbox is just rude and uncalled for. Why would I buy a 360 lol?

+ Camdog916 on October 9th, 2012 at 10:53 am said:

This is what I waited a week for? Are you kidding me? This is no Read Dead Redemption. Wow US get screwed again. Europe gets red dead and we get NFL Blitz and King of Fighters. Whoopy!!! LAME!!!!!!

+ YungShep on October 9th, 2012 at 10:53 am said:

@SLICK_T we’ve just got to the point now where this is getting irritating. i wont go back and forth with ALL MY PLAYSTATION INVESTMENTS. but they are prioritized over alot of other things i do daily.

but like USCCM and Sevyne we’ve been trying to hang tight, hold on..defend and be patient, but this pretty much summed up our frustration. KOF XIII pale in comparison to Bulletstorm and RE 5. when you compare the differences, reviews, replay-ability.

i honestly don’t care for RE 5 and Bulletstorm, but to know that those were being offered up alongside 3 new titles that launch within a week and most recently Red Dead Redemption, i feel completely shafted. if we don’t voice our dissatisfaction, nothing will change. 70% of the commenters realize that.

why do you think they released an statement about 3D not being a top priority now….consumers drive results. they said the consumers didnt have an interest in it, so they wouldn’t spend time marketing it now.

so if those just joined ps plus within the last 3-6 months really have no idea. y’all can be happy, but i was a plus member 2 years until yesterday. EU PS + OFFERINGS IS 100x BETTER THEN EVERYTHING WE’VE GOT.

+ boomstickbhg on October 9th, 2012 at 10:53 am said:

I hope that’s not the case.

I download (start it to get it in my DL list, but then stop) every game we are given for free.

That doesn’t mean I like them, but someday someone I know might be at my house and want to play one etc… so why not make sure I can DL them.

There are maybe 2 games since the First IGC post that I’ve enjoyed, the rest I already own/beat, or just don’t like.

So I agree with you.

Also, I really really really miss the old plus, Qore, Pulse, etc… we keep getting less and less.

And before someone says it, no we don’t get any free games, we get rentals for our subscription fee, and far less of everything else (themes, avatars, minis, ps1 games, Discounts higher than 10-15% etc…)

+ SLICK_T on October 9th, 2012 at 10:53 am said:

Sony decives? Whoops typo. Meant devices. My bad! I’m using my ps3 controller and browser to type my comments so bare with me lol.

+ YungShep on October 9th, 2012 at 10:53 am said:

continued from above

EU ps+ started with Burnout Paradise, SSF 2 HD, and most recently Red Dead Redemption, those games were epic. thanks for Borderlands, InFamous 2 tho i bought it last year before it was free with all the dlc…

the only purchase i can validate and be proud about is Starhawk, and thats mostly because i really wanted Starhawk and it released at a bad time for me, so to get it free, was greatly appreciated. but that’s in a 2 year span of actually being a ps+ users. not alot of bright moments other then the auto-download which we could argue should b a standard feature, but i won’t.

im just asking the community manager for playstation digital platforms to see and understand how divided everyone is about this. dont tell me your constantly reviewing to see what the best interest is for us, dont even tell me nothing, just prove to me that this can get better.

+ YungShep on October 9th, 2012 at 10:54 am said:

and lastly…from above

started off slow, picked up alot of momentum after E3 and now it’s dwindling down again…

and @324 yea man…we just got Virtua Fighter 5:Showdown about 2 months ago, free. so this isn’t the first fighter we got free and we got that the day it came out…but it was really more of a service to everyone who bought the ORIGINAL VIRTUA FIGHTER 5 in 2008 WITH NO ONLINE SUPPORT..

oddly enough the 360 supported it online day 1..i knew i wasn’t buying the second edition of that game.

+ boomstickbhg on October 9th, 2012 at 10:55 am said:

Oh and just to chime in on one more point.

I’ve posted on the blog penty of times to praise, thank etc… people for various games.

I’ve even posted in support of some plus updates and store updates.

I’m, definately not always negative on here.

But with how Plus gets worse all the time it’s harder and harder to be positive. At least if the EU Plus didn’t exist, there wouldn’t be a superior version to compare it to (other than the old format)

+ Isidrera on October 9th, 2012 at 10:59 am said:

+Boomstickbhg the truth is that the Eu ps plus member feel like they made a big deal by buying plus, and they did, but for NA subscrivers it makes us feel stupid for not buying the EU.

+ dodgedoors on October 9th, 2012 at 11:01 am said:

I said both when I meant all 3

+ YungShep on October 9th, 2012 at 11:02 am said:

and to everyone reading my dissatisfaction, i apologize, im usually the biggest advocate for everything sony does for the playstation even if it makes me scratch my head and question the logic of any business decision they make from above.

but the ps+ issue really struck a chord in me, i hope we can push this further. i want change. dramatic change. i dont want to constantly be told something is coming and nothing changes,ever.

i wont even talk about the 500gb bundle that will be released in EU as well…im just gonna stick with the ACIII bundle i planned on getting in the first place.

+ SLICK_T on October 9th, 2012 at 11:16 am said:

I definitely understand where you all are coming from. I’ve been a plus subscriber for a VERY LONG TIME as well cause I need that cloud storage but what raged me soooo bad in the past was like at E3 this year. Infamous 2 went on plus sale 1 week before E3 for 23.79 for the complete edition and I bought it. Week later after E3 its given to plus members free. That will rage you. Also last year I believe it was I bought a plus discounted bundle of Red dead redemption that was suppose to include the full game of red dead with the undead ADD ON included. It was messed up and it was both games separate as full games and not a undead add on to read dead. So I complained on the blog for almost the whole week while they said they would look into it. The add on is all I needed not a standalone undead red dead. The add on by itself was on plus sale for only that same week and it monday and it was only on sale 1 more day and the psn hadnt fixed the mess or informed anything so I said I bought the add on. 3 or 4 days later out of no where I get a message on my XMB from psn giving me the add on FREE for their mess up. I had bought the add on to get it on sale and called sony but they said they couldn’t refund me. So I have reasons to rage.

+ Squiggle55 on October 9th, 2012 at 11:21 am said:

@324 This is definitely not the first fighting game from plus. We very recently got Virtua Fighter. We also got a Street Fighter. And a much lesser known cheap production value anime-style fighter that I can’t remember the name of. And that’s just off the top of my head. I think it’s safe to assume that fans of fighting games have been well taken care of and hopefully we don’t revisit the genre for a while now, because it *is* relatively niche now. Don’t get me wrong, I can enjoy the occasional fighting game with a friend, and variety is good for plus, but it’s far from my favorite genre and it is very specific in its audience, so like I said I hope we don’t see it again for a good while now.

And I appreciate the attempt at a list by Ross_On_PS to compile the NA and EU plus offerings, but I’d like to see the complete accurate lists, b/c that list seems to be all over the place and includes some of the games from the original IGC (most of the PSN ones) but not all of them (only 1 of the 7 full retail games we were given at first) and completely misses other games like Borderlands.

+ SLICK_T on October 9th, 2012 at 11:22 am said:

Then their is boarderlands. I bought it on a plus sale and only for it to go free months later and like you guys said about EU plus. I bought every full good title that is offered for free over there. I mean what good would it do me as a plus member here if all those EU plus games came here? I already own every one of them cause I always bought plus sales. I don’t now I’ve learned my lesson after Infamous 2.

+ YungShep on October 9th, 2012 at 11:29 am said:

+ T0NY-_-GV on October 9th, 2012 at 11:30 am said:

I would really like to be able to play Dishonored at 00:01 since I already paid for it. You really should considere adding this fonction. Beside that keep up great work!

+ SLICK_T on October 9th, 2012 at 11:33 am said:

@ + Sevyne # 338…… I totally agree with ya there man. I do the same thing. I say to myself GOOD GOD and roll my eyes and shake my head 90% of the plus free games offered but not to lose out on paying for those sucky games I still hit download and then cancel the download so at least its still in my download list in cade I have a friend that is over visiting us and they want to play it I’ll download it for them to play it on my ps3. Like the blitz football free game. I HATE FOOTBALL but I still downloaded it to have it in my download list at least lol. So you and I do the same common thing there LOL.

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 9