Uncharted 4

Smart As Hits PS Vita October 30th, Watch Two New Videos

Nicolo Accordino's Avatar + Posted by Nicolo Accordino on Oct 11, 2012 // Assistant Producer, ISD

Hey PlayStation Nation! We’re launching PS Vita’s all-new social brain training game, Smart As, on October 30th in North America.

We’ve been hard at work loading Smart As with fun and engaging puzzle games to put your mental might to the test with challenges in four key areas: Logic, Arithmetic, Language and Observation.
As we recently announced, Smart As also features the voice talent of Monty Python’s John Cleese; so as you train, you’ll receive his encouragement and cheeky commentary. Better still, as you play and improve your scores, you’ll get to share your stats with Smart As fans from around the world via the online leaderboards, as well as on Facebook and Twitter.

Here’s a sneak peek at the some of our favorite Logic and Arithmetic challenges.

As you can see in this video, the Logic games are designed to test your ability to solve puzzles as quickly as possible. Inspired by the popular scientific opinion that the brain’s frontal lobe is used for executive functions like problem solving, organizing and planning, our goal was to design games that tested those functions — and were fun to play!

Smart As’ Arithmetic games have been built from the ground up to be fun, and to utilize all of PS Vita’s cool features such as its front and rear touch screens and motion sensors. As with the Logic games, the key to great Brain Power scores in this section is speed and accuracy.

If you think that you’re ready to test your skills, you’ll be able to check out Smart As at your local retailers or on PSN for just $29.99, starting October 30th. On the PlayStation Store, you’ll also have the option of downloading a free trial version of the game, which will let you sample a basic Daily Training session. Then, when you’re ready to take on the full experience, including a selection of 20 different puzzles as well as all of the cool online capabilities, you’ll have the option to purchase the whole game.

We can’t wait to see all of your scores climbing through the leaderboads later this month! In the meantime, be sure to tune in to PlayStation.Blog for the latest Smart As news.

+ KazeEternal on October 11th, 2012 at 7:08 am said:

If there were some sort of way to make that title less confusing using a mechanism in the english language.

+ Teflon02 on October 11th, 2012 at 7:13 am said:

I wasn’t planning on getting this so it ain’t a issue for me. But I hear alot of praise for this, and now to add to the big Oct 30th line up lol.
Assassins Creed III: Liberation
Ragnarok Odyssey
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Lego Lord of the Rings
Smart As
Damn lol not to mention PSN releases

+ Nicolo Accordino on October 11th, 2012 at 9:34 am said:

We’re proud to be part of the large push of VITA content! (It’s a nice way to relax between assassinating Templars, as far as I’m concerned.) There will be a trial available on the VITA PSN store day and date, so please check it out!

+ RenderMonk on October 11th, 2012 at 7:16 am said:

Ya the 30th is booked up pretty hard. Been looking forward to this since it was first announced. Very pleased to see games like this being developed for the platform. Will be a day 1 purchase for me. Congrats on all your hard work fellas!

+ Nicolo Accordino on October 11th, 2012 at 9:38 am said:

Thank you very much! We hope you enjoy it!

+ gus_xl on October 11th, 2012 at 7:35 am said:

When you say ‘social’, are you using ‘Near’ or online only?

( I’m actually suprised at how much I use Near )

+ Nicolo Accordino on October 11th, 2012 at 9:37 am said:

Smart As not only contains Near features, but is also fully integrated with Twitter and Facebook. Between the different social networks and our robust set of online leaderboards, you’ll be fully armed with options on how to best brag to your friends about your brainy progress!

+ StormTimber on October 11th, 2012 at 7:38 am said:

i personally think this is really cool… the vita seems to be really picking up on the Awesomeness scale. i hope to get one this christmas.

+ Nicolo Accordino on October 11th, 2012 at 9:37 am said:

Thanks for the kind words!

+ LILstacks on October 11th, 2012 at 7:42 am said:

Is this coming to ps3? This would be a nice cross play title.

+ Nicolo Accordino on October 11th, 2012 at 9:42 am said:

Smart As is a PS VITA exclusive – every game here was given special attention to take advantage of the VITA’s numerous features (Front Touch, Back Touch, Cameras, GPS, Motion Sensor, etc), so they don’t necessarily translate easily to the PS3. That being said, if you’d really like to see Smart As come to the PS3, we’re always open to feedback!

+ RavousFlare on October 11th, 2012 at 8:37 am said:

we need to know when is the release of Wake-Up Club ? and other APPS and enable Patapon 3 for the Vita and full HTML5 Browser Support where is it, were waiting months for it ? and Facebook app Update add a messenger and etc. because were waiting for this since Day 1 of PSVITA Release

+ BanditManSteve on October 11th, 2012 at 9:12 am said:

@2

Well the 30th isnt a confirmed date for all of those games. Like Ragnarok Odyssey. XSEED hasnt actually announced when it will be released, they just said it WILL be in October. But more on topic, yeah the 30th will be pretty crazy ha ha.

+ Nick930930 on October 11th, 2012 at 9:29 am said:

$30 is way too steep for a game that is in my text books. I wouldn’t mind this being added to the PS Plus Instant Game Collection though!

+ Nicolo Accordino on October 11th, 2012 at 9:43 am said:

Give the trial a shot and let us know what you think!

+ Elvick_ on October 11th, 2012 at 9:38 am said:

@8: Xseed confirmed the 30th yesterday. ;3

I will have to wait to buy this, too many other games are releasing on the same day.

+ Ryumoau on October 11th, 2012 at 9:48 am said:

Sorry but not spending $30 on a puzzle game for Vita, especially when Ragnorak Odyssesy has finally received a release date. My money will go to that.

+ saskamazon on October 11th, 2012 at 9:48 am said:

I thought the videos looked promising – a great blend of gaming & brain teasers …. not sure about the $30 price point …. will try the demo & see, but as I have the various other brain ages, I may wait for a sale ….

+ Nicolo Accordino on October 11th, 2012 at 10:27 am said:

Give it a shot! I know great games + John Cleese is a winning combination for me!

+ GranpireV on October 11th, 2012 at 10:20 am said:

The aesthetic looks great!

+ Nicolo Accordino on October 11th, 2012 at 10:28 am said:

Thank you very much! The colors really pop off the screen – I think you’ll be really happy when you take a from the OLED.

+ M-Easy on October 11th, 2012 at 10:34 am said:

This game looks really good but $30 wow. It should have a platinum trophy for that kind of cake.

+ Nicolo Accordino on October 11th, 2012 at 10:43 am said:

Have no fear my friend – as a full-fledged retail title, Smart As does indeed have a shiny, beautiful and bright Platinum trophy. I won’t lie though – it’ll take some serious brain power to get there! Thank you for the kind words!

+ saskamazon on October 11th, 2012 at 10:43 am said:

@Nicolo – your offering does have me intrigued – really thought the video was engaging …. do you have any idea of the file size ? this seems like something that should be DLd …. must go buy that 32gb card … my 8 is all but done, & All Stars hasn’t even released yet !

+ Nicolo Accordino on October 11th, 2012 at 10:56 am said:

Hey Saskamazon – thanks for the kind words! I believe the game weighs in at about 1.35GB – so definitely not the biggest kid on the block, but no slouch either! There’s a lot of high-quality assets in the game that contribute to this, including full voice-acting in multiple languages (fully localized for Mexican Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese and Canadian French for the North American version). I promise it’s worth the space!

+ Elvick_ on October 11th, 2012 at 10:46 am said:

@15: Think how I feel with my 4GB… xP

+ polo155 on October 11th, 2012 at 10:50 am said:

I was kind of shocked at $30 myself but im not gonna lie i love how it looks, i consider myself a brain so i will def give the demo a try. If this had AdHoc also to play friends another way besides Near (though the near fuction i love too thank you.)

Great job! Cant wait to try it!!

+ Nicolo Accordino on October 11th, 2012 at 11:04 am said:

Thank you very much! Promise there’s lots of ways to brag to about your great Brain Scores, so go out there and show the world who you’re as smart as!

+ lisatsunami on October 11th, 2012 at 10:51 am said:

Yay, more Vita content! This “game” is perfect for a Vita. I certainly don’t want to do math when I’m @ home with my giant TV, lol. Thanks for trying to keep our gamer brains from atrophying, lol.

+ Nicolo Accordino on October 11th, 2012 at 11:09 am said:

Thank you! (Love the festive avatar, btw!) The team really built the game from the ground-up to be a portable experience – we even reward you for accessing location-specific challenges in our Street Smart mode, through the GPS functionality of the VITA. It’s definitely a great game to have with you, so make sure to brag about your progress while you’re on the go!

+ BlueBl1zzard on October 11th, 2012 at 11:17 am said:

@Elvick Aww Ragnarok comes out on the 30th now?

I’m already getting Assassin’s Creed 3 and Liberation, Need for Speed, and now Ragnarok Odyssey the same day.
I really wanna get this too….

+ Teflon02 on October 11th, 2012 at 11:40 am said:

I’ll try out the trial, I like these vids, it’s like a big but way better expansion to Welcome Park and I loved the idea, I’ll probably love this, problem is I’m getting Ragnarok Odyssey that day, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale & Persona 4 Golden in Nov. and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed in December, which leaves me slumped cause I want AC3L, NFSMW, CoDBOD, and more and also psn releases, I’m probably getting this boxing day since its spending week lol

+ Nicolo Accordino on October 11th, 2012 at 1:15 pm said:

Thanks Teflon! There’s definitely a lot to love on October 30th, and we’re thrilled to be a part of the lineup. Please try out the trial and let us know what you think!

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on October 11th, 2012 at 11:47 am said:

THIS GAME LOOK PRETTY GOOD..ALTHOUGH I THINK IT WOULD BE COOL IF I COULD PLAY ON MY BIG SCREEN AT HOME USING THE PS VITA AS A CONTROLLER ..NOW THATS HI TECH STUFF RIGHT THURR! …AM I RIGHT NINTENDO FANS?..LOL

+ plaztiksyke on October 11th, 2012 at 12:03 pm said:

Looks awesome, and congrats on getting the great voice talent.

Two questions:
1) Will there be a digital discount for Plus members?

2) Will the audio quality for Cleese’s voiceovers be decent? Quantum Conundrum had great VO by John Lithgow, but the audio bitrate was so low that it was grating to listen to. TellTale’s german VO encode on Back to the Future was so crappy it was lispy and unintelligible. Jurassic Park had the same problem where the female vocal mostly fell through the gaps in the codec and required subtitles. Can you detail codec and bitrates for the primary and secondary VO assets?

Thanks in advance for answers!

+ Nicolo Accordino on October 11th, 2012 at 1:19 pm said:

Hello there, and thanks for the great questions! (I wish I had detailed answers to give back to you!)

1.) PlayStation Plus hits in November, and I’m afraid I’m not allowed to detail any current plans. However, I definitely think it’s an amazing service, so that option is never closed for the future.

2.) I’m afraid I’m not as savvy to the technical side of the voice acting – I’ll be speaking to the team to find out the answer here. I can promise you, however, that Mr. Cleese does sound amazing through the VITA’s speakers, so you’ll be extra pleased if you have a nice set of headphones.

+ Lasdrub on October 11th, 2012 at 12:12 pm said:

Why is it called Smart As?

+ Nicolo Accordino on October 11th, 2012 at 1:21 pm said:

By playing the game, you’re constantly finding out who you’re as “Smart As” – get it? Are you as Smart As your friend? Your teacher? Your neighbor down the street? Play the game, brag to the world and find out!

+ Zyzxx on October 11th, 2012 at 12:32 pm said:

I’m really looking forward to enjoying Smart As! I’ve been really missing some fun and enjoyable brain teasers and thinking games, and having it socially connected is a definite advantage too!

@23 At face value it seems the title is “Smart As” because it will be socially connected to Facebook and Twitter, as well as an online leaderboard. So when sharing your scores and results, it will show who you are “smart as” or “smarter than”. Or something to that effect.

+ Nicolo Accordino on October 11th, 2012 at 1:22 pm said:

Very well-informed fan here – thank you for your support!

+ WastelandDan on October 11th, 2012 at 12:45 pm said:

This is just what i would consider consructive input…im not personally interested in this title.

BUT, To me the including of the word “JUST” in the phrase “…at local retailers or on PSN for just $29.99…” Is at best a useless thing if not almost insulting to me…Allow me to explain…this game at first glance comes off looking like one of the Apps for Vita (and its the social part that does it i think), then BAAM you hear for JUST for 30 bucks…and your like whaaaaat? Then if you can make it past that first immpression, You MAY actually realize that its a FULL title at 10$ cheaper than the normal 39.99.

im sriously not trying to hate or be mean. Just putting the first impression that I got out there for your conciderations. MAYBE stress a little sooner or harder that its a FULL release and not JUST another social App, like NEAR.

Or maybe im just dumb :D

+ Nicolo Accordino on October 11th, 2012 at 1:29 pm said:

Not dumb at all, my friend, and thank you for the advice! Point well-taken.

We’re quite proud of the fact that Smart As is a full retail and digital title, so being able to offer that to all of you at a lower price is something we’ve tried really hard to accomplish. There’s really a lot of high-quality content there, so I hope you enjoy it!

+ Nick930930 on October 11th, 2012 at 2:39 pm said:

With apps and games on the iPhones, iPads, Androids, and computer being placed at <$3 or even Play for Free, I just don't see $30 ever being reasonable enough. I won't even spend $40 on Uncharted Golden Abyss because it just doesn't seem worth it for a smaller experience.The only game even close to worth that much money is LittleBigPlanet Vita. It's a never ending game that can essentially recreate games like this. Games like LBP have set the bar way too high for a price like $30 to be acceptable. PSN needs to sit down with developers and start agreeing on more reasonable prices if they want to maximize consumer profit, units sold, and future benefits of having a good customer relationship rather than trying to focus on the fact that games on the vita are rare and they can price them at whatever in the hopes that "stupid" consumers will buy them.

In short: Give us cheaper games on the Vita. A game like this I can see being priced as low as $5 on a smart phone… No matter how polished and John Cleesy it is…

+ saskamazon on October 11th, 2012 at 4:40 pm said:

@26 …. in all fairness, the video indicates that the quality of this title far exceeds a smart phone offering …. according to Nicolo the file size indicates it is quite a large offering … & there are several Vita games that are worthy of the price point …. the Vita is a dedicated gaming device, retail games are not going to be priced the same as iOS games ….

I like a bargain too, & appreciate smaller games like Sunflowers, but I am prepared to pay a reasonable amount for full games such as Gravity Rush / UCGA etc.

+ cosmis_chaos on October 11th, 2012 at 9:05 pm said:

That is what I miss about gaming in the old days. People had respect. I have never heard such rudeness in my life. You guys have some nerve telling these guys that that their game isn’t worth it before you even tried it or played it and to make it worse compare it to some cheap @$$ phone game based on a short video of the game only? You have no idea how much content it has, how long it will take to beat or how challenging or polished it is and you want to compare it to crap like cut the Rope for example. You complain that you aren’t getting enough big titles and then complain when you get smaller titles like Sunflowers and then when you get bigger titles you want cheaper titles again. You want more content and then you don’t want it when you get it. I think that many of you don’t really know what you want. You just like to talk and complain.
@ Nick930930. Yeah as if the people who buy crappy phone games and claim they are on the same level as console or handheld games are smart in any way.

+ Nicolo Accordino on October 12th, 2012 at 9:48 am said:

Hey Cosmis – thanks for sticking up for us! The VITA has an amazing amount of variety of content available – everything from PSOne Classics, to bite-sized PS Mobile games, to extremely large affairs like LBP VITA and Uncharted: Golden Abyss. I honestly think Smart As skews toward the upper end of that spectrum – the team’s been working on the game for a very long time, and there’s a great amount of content there. I promise if you want that platinum trophy, you’ll be playing for months!

Look forward to hearing your reaction when you play!

+ Axecution on October 11th, 2012 at 9:07 pm said:

30 dollars?

If this was on tablets and smartphones it would be, max, 4.99…
I know you guys worked hard on the game, and you dont come up with the prices. I respect that but… come on, 30 dollars?
I guess props for not being Lumines Electronic Symphany and charging 40 dollars for a puzzle game but either way you look at it this isn’t worth 30 dollars.

Could you imagine browing the App store/Play store and seeing this game like this with a price of 29.99? It would sell like, 5 copies, max.

I love my Vita for LBP, Uncharted, WipEout, and Gravity Rush. But man, this should be priced along with Stardust and Escape Plan.

+ Axecution on October 11th, 2012 at 9:08 pm said:

You’d probably make more money if it was 6.99. I’d buy it lol not for 30 though

+ Nicolo Accordino on October 12th, 2012 at 9:53 am said:

Hey Axecution. I really appreciate your opinion, and I hope you’ll give the trial a shot! We really think we have a quality experience here with Smart As – it’s a much larger affair than any brain-training type game you’ve ever played before!

It’s also an amazing showcase title for the VITA – if there’s anyone you know that wants to see a game that takes advantage of almost all of the hardware features of the system, Smart As is a very welcome option!

+ Elvick_ on October 11th, 2012 at 11:16 pm said:

@28: People won’t ever be happy. People want small games, they release on PSN and PS Mobile launches. People complain there are no “real” games and “crap like that” is a waste of “Sony’s” time. Then people gloss over any game that would fit into their narrow view of a “real game” and focus in on something like Smart As and complain about that and continue to whine about “no real games”.

I do think this game would have probably been better off if they were able to release at $20 at retail and digital. That’s what Brain Age 1 & 2 were priced and they did very well. The lower the price for something like this, the more appealing to the bulk of people that bought the Brain Age games. They don’t really care about the quality of the game or effort put in. :/

Personally though, it looks amazing. I don’t recall ever seeing a game in this genre having such clean visuals. It clearly had a lot of effort put into it. So it’s worth the $30 for me. I just want the game to do well, if it’s as good as it looks. Hopefully the demo isn’t the same size as the game so I can manage to play it.

+ Nicolo Accordino on October 12th, 2012 at 9:56 am said:

Thanks for the kind words, Elvick! We’ll be pushing hard to get Smart As into as many players hands as possible, so please do give it a shot!

+ idDobie on October 12th, 2012 at 7:28 am said:

Just a quick question, in the logic video a lot of those seemed closer to mathematics puzzles to me than pure logic, particularly the ones involving the paths. I was just curious how one classifies their puzzles? I’ve always enjoyed puzzles and the naming conventions confuse me slightly.

That aside – the game looks really well made! I am excited to try it out, and so very happy you guys have a demo. I won’t be able to pick this up on release, but its definitely on my to-buy list. You even got John Cleese <3

+ Nicolo Accordino on October 12th, 2012 at 10:12 am said:

Thank you very much! Really appreciate the friendly comments!

As to your question – the logic games in Smart As are, at their core, very intricate “if-than” games. ie: If I push these blocks, I can move here, etc. They all make you consider the consequences of your actions before you make your move, so to speak.

The Arithmetic games, however, are more of your standard mathematical games. These involve a lot of addition, subtraction, multiplication, etc. Speed is also a factor, so the faster you can solve these, the better!

The idea being that when you perform the Daily Training, you’re giving your brain a balanced, comprehensive, and overall enjoyable workout by playing games of different categories. I think you’ll love it!

+ Ryumoau on October 12th, 2012 at 8:02 am said:

@28, the game is overpriced. Deal with it.

+ BShornock on October 12th, 2012 at 4:58 pm said:

After watching the videos, I think I am definatly going to give this game a try, the fact that it has a demo will definatly be a good thing for the sales or people wanting to try new things, like Sunflower.

I know I was on the fence about picking up Retro City Rampage until I played the Demo, and then when I heard you can also play it on the PS3, I was sold.

And if you don’t like the pricing, you can wait 4-6 months until Sony does their next wave of price cuts, but honestly a lot of people are going to be buying Vita’s for:

Persona 4 The Golden
Call of Duty Black Ops Declassified(Not because of Nihilistic, because of CALL OF DUTY)
Assassin’s Creed 3 Liberation
Need For Speed Most Wanted
Ragnarok Odyssey

Bundling games with the system is essentially a price cut, without actually cutting the price.

Smart As will target a different audience, the people that play puzzle games, or are very competetive. And with Assassin’s Creed being bundled with a Vita, some people may pick this game up as well.

+ dallscowboys88 on October 13th, 2012 at 6:15 pm said:

man, all this stuff coming out on my birthday… I DONT KNOW WHAT TO PICK! AHH (runs around in circles)

+ supercyc10 on October 14th, 2012 at 9:48 pm said:

wow, Nicolo
you got a cool profile pic
kinda reminds me of my need for patapon 3 for the vita
…that hasn’t come to psn store yet