Bloodborne

Arkedo Series: Three Games in One Bless Your PS3 Tomorrow

Yan Marchal's Avatar + Posted by Yan Marchal on Oct 15, 2012 // Manager, Sanuk Games

Arkedo Series for PS3

I’m happy to announce the release of Arkedo Series on the PlayStation Store for PS3 tomorrow, October 16th! Arkedo Series is a collection of three tightly crafted arcade games that will douse your console in a colorful world and challenge you with some serious old-school action!

Arkedo Series for PS3 - Jump

First comes “JUMP!”, a platformer where your 8-bit hero must collect bombs before they blow up, while avoiding nasty little bats, 2-way powered crabs, sharp stalactites, spikes from hell, and a bunch of other oddities. The game is so truthful to the old-school experience that it has no ‘continue’: once you’ve lost all your lives, you have to start it all over again – but in a good mood!

Arkedo Series for PS3 - Swap

Then comes “SWAP!”, a Match-4 game where you must clear blocks before they reach the top of the screen. Combos, bonus blocks, power blocks and time freezers will help you escape critical situations and dominate the five worlds contained in the game. And once you think you’re done, you’ll find out that there are still a number of things waiting for you in Challenge mode!

Arkedo Series for PS3 - Pixel

Last but not least comes “PIXEL!”, the platformer that will have you finally understand why you bought such an expensive HDTV: the halo surrounding big fat pixels had never looked so good! You direct Pix the Cat (a character that also appears in the critically acclaimed PIX’N LOVE RUSH, available as a PlayStation Mini) through his nocturnal adventure in a pixilated world.

The Arkedo Series for PS3 will be available on October 16th as one package of three games for only $5.99. We hope you’ll enjoy it!

+ snakeeyes211 on October 15th, 2012 at 10:04 am said:

Is there trophies in the game

+ Yan Marchal on October 15th, 2012 at 6:25 pm said:

Yes, there are!

+ G-Force08 on October 15th, 2012 at 10:04 am said:

Looks good. I might check it out, especially at that price.

I love playing PIX’N LOVE RUSH on my Vita. Any hope that the Arkedo series will find its way to the Vita eventually?

+ Yan Marchal on October 15th, 2012 at 6:29 pm said:

Thanks for your comment!

We have no plan at this time for a PS Vita version but, as there appears to be quite a few people interested, we may think about it if the PS3 version is successful enough! Please note that it does not only depend on me though, therefore I can’t make any commitment right now.

+ KwietStorm on October 15th, 2012 at 10:09 am said:

Damn trophies have ruined the hive gamer mind

+ DuoMaxwell007 on October 15th, 2012 at 10:15 am said:

I must say HD + 8bit = bad

HD lets all the flaws in * bit much easier to see…. I mean I dont recall the original super mario bros on nintendo looking as bad as jump does (though Im sure if i played it on an HD tv it would look equally bad)

+ SAB-CA on October 15th, 2012 at 10:31 am said:

I wish these would also be cross-play with Vita, as I’d love to have them on it:)

But otherwise, great to see the series coming out here, especially for such a nice price. I already own and enjoy SWAP, but this’ll be a perfect time to have the other 2 accessable… (just wish 04 would release sometime, haha).

+ Yan Marchal on October 15th, 2012 at 6:31 pm said:

Thanks for your comment! See my reply to 2 above regarding PS Vita.

+ islankleinknecht on October 15th, 2012 at 11:05 am said:

Ooh, I think I dig this.

+ ModeSelektor on October 15th, 2012 at 12:03 pm said:

Vita ?????

+ Yan Marchal on October 15th, 2012 at 6:31 pm said:

Please see above :).

+ Gorvi on October 15th, 2012 at 12:36 pm said:

To echo other commenters, these really would have been more appropriate on Vita. Hopefully we’ll see them come to Vita soon.

+ Yan Marchal on October 15th, 2012 at 6:33 pm said:

See above :).

+ Elvick_ on October 15th, 2012 at 12:41 pm said:

@1: Yes.

@4: Opinion, and SMB would look worse. It’s an SD game that would be on an HD display. Where as Jump is actually HD. Nevermind the backgrounds and other details in Jump being better.

I would love the games on Vita, but given the issues just getting the games out in NA I won’t hold my breath.

+ Yan Marchal on October 15th, 2012 at 6:39 pm said:

Thoroughly! It might not be obvious in the screenshot, but Jump does actually make use of the high definition to display its fat pixels a certain way. Whether it looks good or not, of course, is for everybody to see for themselves.

+ Elvick_ on October 15th, 2012 at 12:43 pm said:

FYI: The games came out ages ago on XBLIG. Ported to PS3 ages ago and released in Europe separately. With trophies.

Be happy we actually got the games in NA.

+ vanwinkle on October 15th, 2012 at 12:56 pm said:

Will definitely be buying this. And I HATE to be this guy, but this would be absolutely fantastic on Vita. Please consider it.

+ Yan Marchal on October 15th, 2012 at 6:39 pm said:

Thanks for your comment! See above :).

+ gilgamesh21 on October 15th, 2012 at 3:39 pm said:

YES!!! Thank you Yan Marchal, thank you Sanuk Games, thank you Arkedo, and thank you SCEA! I’ve been looking forward to these fun little gems! I can’t believe how great October has been for PSN!

+ Yan Marchal on October 15th, 2012 at 6:40 pm said:

Thanks!

+ camiwaits_us on October 15th, 2012 at 4:16 pm said:

This looks pretty cool. I’ll be buying it for PS3, but share the desire of playing it on my Vita.

+ Yan Marchal on October 15th, 2012 at 6:41 pm said:

Thanks! See above :).

+ lisatsunami on October 15th, 2012 at 4:22 pm said:

@3, QuietStorm: well, I’ve become a bit of a trophy ‘ho myself, but your comment is funny. “Hive gamer mind”
You are right, of course.

+ tranquility101 on October 15th, 2012 at 5:31 pm said:

@4: That’s definitely a matter of opinion. I absolutely love 8-bit and 16-bit games, particularly on a 46″ HD TV. Then again, I was raised on Atari and have always had an appreciate for pixel art. To each their own. :)

Retro City Rampage, another game released recently on PSN that has 8-bit-era graphics, even lets you emulate old Commodore and DOS EGA/VGA video blitters. :) I freaked out when I saw that.

That being said, “Pixel” looks like the coolest of the three mentioned in the article. Don’t think I’ll be picking this one up unless I read some favorable reviews or see some interesting gameplay vids. *goes back to playing stressful Dishonored* :P

+ Yan Marchal on October 15th, 2012 at 6:50 pm said:

There’s already quite a few favorable reviews and gameplay vids around! Google “arkedo pixel review”, for example, and see for yourself. Cheers!

+ Ryumoau on October 15th, 2012 at 5:49 pm said:

i’m only interested in the puzzle game. wish i could get it seperatly for $2.

+ Yan Marchal on October 15th, 2012 at 6:59 pm said:

We had to release the 3 games in one package. We tried to keep the price as low as we could. Hopefully $5.99 is reasonable even if there’s only one game you really fancy – you may end up finding yourself enjoying the 2 other games too! :)

+ DuoMaxwell007 on October 15th, 2012 at 5:55 pm said:

@9 yeah the background looks fine so does the foreground, but the crab, man, bombs, spike and coins look barf worthy lol

whereas Pixel and Swap on the other hand look fine all around

+ Yan Marchal on October 15th, 2012 at 6:45 pm said:

Thanks! I must admit Jump looks a little bit more quirky, but hopefully some will like it that way!

+ devilmosh on October 15th, 2012 at 6:05 pm said:

The trailer on Youtube says it has trophies, for those asking.

+ Yan Marchal on October 15th, 2012 at 6:42 pm said:

Yes it does!

+ Bastions on October 15th, 2012 at 6:10 pm said:

This and most other PSN games should be playable on Vita. They would just fit better. Sony, why are not all PSN cames cross-play or cross-buy?

+ Joeltron3030 on October 15th, 2012 at 6:23 pm said:

So getting these! Ive been asking about them on the blog. I guess this is why my queries went unanswered…it was in the works!

People stop asking developers to port games you can already play on your ps3. Its not as easy to port as you think (Rainbow Moon is taking like 9 months), and that`s time developers could use to make new exclusive Vita games, which is what the system needs :)

+ Yan Marchal on October 15th, 2012 at 6:43 pm said:

Thanks for your comment!

+ Ryumoau on October 15th, 2012 at 7:24 pm said:

@20 i agree. i rather have new Vita exclusive games than just ps3 ported games.

+ GhostMachine1 on October 15th, 2012 at 7:34 pm said:

These sound like fantastic inexpensive fun. I want it now!

+ PrimeroIncognito on October 15th, 2012 at 8:26 pm said:

Looks good. I’ll probably buy. Building up towards that $100…

+ ElektroDragon on October 15th, 2012 at 8:32 pm said:

THANK YOU for bring this awesome series to PSN with Trophies, instead of letting it wallow ignoroed in the Indie Games marketplace over on that OTHER console. Buying this ASAP!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE SWAP! Especially!

+ ElektroDragon on October 15th, 2012 at 8:35 pm said:

Also, SWAP on Vita with touch controls would be INSANE!!!! :)

+ Yan Marchal on October 15th, 2012 at 10:06 pm said:

Thanks! If a touch version of Swap is to happen, we would have to change the difficulty settings, or it would become INSANE… LY easy :-).

+ Davyn729 on October 15th, 2012 at 10:09 pm said:

Just thought I’d chime in to further bring home the point, I would absolutely love to see these on Vita. :) Or at the very least PIXEL! It’d be a day one buy from me for certain. These are the kinds of games I’d rather play on the go than on my PS3.

+ plaztiksyke on October 15th, 2012 at 10:36 pm said:

I’ve been waiting for this to release in North America for some time. I love Pix’n Love Rush on iPhone, and did a backflip when it came out as a mini I could play with physical controls (despite looking worse on mini).

Here’s another vote for a Vita native version :)

Again, Thanks so much for finally brining this to North American PS3s!

+ davionwalker22 on October 15th, 2012 at 11:07 pm said:

dont take long to update the psn Tomorrow

+ Criscross87v3 on October 16th, 2012 at 5:59 am said:

If Pixel is anything like the PS Mini, that’s worth the price of admission right there for me.

+ Yan Marchal on October 16th, 2012 at 8:41 pm said:

Thanks for your comment! Pix’n Love Rush on PlayStation Minis is an arcade jump’n run game, whereas Pixel is a more traditional platform adventure. Although they share the same character, they’re not quite the same game. But then who would want to buy twice the same game anyway? :)

+ Macello on October 16th, 2012 at 10:28 am said:

I feel bad for the dev with people piling on Vita comments but I don’t own a PS3 so… Vita??? ;)

+ Dessron on October 16th, 2012 at 1:16 pm said:

I’ve been waiting for these games ever since I’ve seen them on the Euro store. I hope they’ll have the same trophies lists (around 12 trophies for each game) as the European version.

+ Yan Marchal on October 16th, 2012 at 8:32 pm said:

Unfortunately no. This package is technically considered as one game – as opposed to the European release where each game was sold separately. There’s a limit to how many trophies one game can have, therefore we were not able to cram as many trophies here as into the Euro release.

On the bright side, the whole collection sells for cheaper as one package in America than as 3 separate games in Europe. Hopefully this will make up for that!

+ Ecks on October 16th, 2012 at 6:15 pm said:

I picked this up today, and the games are fun, but wondering why we got a different trophy list than Europe? 14 trophies total (4 for JUMP!, 5 for SWAP! and 5 for PIXEL!) instead of 9 for JUMP!, 12 for SWAP! and 12 for PIXEL! like Europe got. Not a dealbreaker, but confusing.

+ Yan Marchal on October 16th, 2012 at 8:33 pm said:

See my reply to the above comment. Cheers!