PS4-Watch_Dogs

Take a Look Inside the New PlayStation Store

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Oct 17, 2012 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Last week we gave you a sneak peek of the completely redesigned PlayStation Store for PlayStation 3. Along with the re-imagined user interface, we added predictive search and improved filtering to make finding content easier and faster. The new store also offers more in-depth information about games, add-ons and apps, as well as movies and TV shows, letting you browse and discover new types of content effortlessly.

The redesigned PlayStation Store launches in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, and Brazil on October 23. In the meantime you can get a taste of what’s coming in this walkthrough video:

The new PlayStation Store for PS3 was designed from the ground up to enhance the entire user experience based on the feedback we received from you, our loyal fans.

Watch the video and tell us what you think!

Please note: This video was created using a near-final version of the new PlayStation Store. Some content, categories, or pricing may be different than the Store you’ll experience next week.

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6

+ pablofsi08 on October 17th, 2012 at 7:40 pm said:

¿Why touch the store as it is if it’s perfectly fine?. Just add better search and filters, and those images, keep the rather small squares with a little image inside to browse through games, don’t fill everything with ads… add Paypal support, and a search function for the download list and we are set, perfect store.

There’s no need to cycle stuff that is good one way and can be worse with change.

+ Gnordy on October 17th, 2012 at 7:44 pm said:

I like the letter wheel. I have heard some say it takes longer, but in my experience it makes searching faster and more intuitive.

+ Un3r-God-ind1 on October 17th, 2012 at 8:42 pm said:

It’s ironic that Killzone Trilogy is also out on the same day.

+ Guyper on October 17th, 2012 at 8:45 pm said:

The design looks nice, but what I don’t like is that the blue color trademark is merely gone and everything looks so black about the new store.

Blue has been a symbol of the Playstation now. So, getting rid of it doesn’t seem right to me.

I’m not asking to change the background color but the store’s tree/panel/menu bar one. Switch it to light/dark blue and the font can remain white.

I don’t know if the new store has this feature, but how about another category that lists all the the game companies? Once they choose one of the game companies such as Capcom, SEGA, SNK, etc., they will be taken to another list that displays all the games/add-on/avatars that are available for purchase/download from that particular company.

+ Elvick_ on October 17th, 2012 at 9:12 pm said:

@57 Amen. Tired of biying a game, waiting hours for it to download. Rhen being met with a patch when I attempt to play it. Why they don’t just combine the patches with the game in the store is beyond me.

Either do that or make downloads faster Sony. Rather both happen… but it won’t.

+ Sevyne on October 17th, 2012 at 9:26 pm said:

@205 Ya know I don’t get that either. Why games with patches at launch donwload the patch afterwards is beyond me. Also, is the download speed capped on PSN? I have a crazy fast connection and PSN downloads are still the slowest I’ve ever experienced.

+ Train1999 on October 17th, 2012 at 9:48 pm said:

I love the video. I would like to know can I still use a keyboard to search for anything I wanna look at in Playstation Store? It looks much better and cleaner for the searches of both movies and games that I would like to try. Looking forward to trying it next week.

+ RE_Player on October 17th, 2012 at 9:59 pm said:

Gotta say I was skeptical but it looks really slick. Sorting the games by price really wowed me. Can’t wait to dig around it when it launches.

+ picante on October 17th, 2012 at 10:12 pm said:

Looks Very Refresh

+ Wolf26pack on October 17th, 2012 at 10:30 pm said:

Everything I’d look forward to in a new Playstation store has been said by others but I’ll add my voice to the Chorus anyways

- Ability to sort/filter or search thorough your download list (Alphabetically, Date, DLC, PS3/PSN/PSP/PSV Demo’s, PS3/ PSN/PSP/PSV’ Games, Music, Movies, Avatars, Themes, etc…) of course In a perfect world you’d have 2 filters in the download list, one would have the list of Systems (i.e. PS3, PSN, PSP, PSV,PS1, PS2), the other would have what your looking for (Games, DLC, Demo’s, Theme’s, Avatars, Movies, Music) that way it is customizable and simple you could mix combinations and slim the list down significantly, so for example I could have any mix of combinations (PSN Demo’s, PS3 Avatars, PS1 Games, PSP Themes, PSV DLC, etc… I think you get the point.

- Ability to gift games to people on your friends list
- Ability to remotely que games to our systems from a SNE site so that our systems will download the games once we buy them while we are away from our PS3′s
- Ability to play our own music in the background from the XMB while on the PS Store

+ herbalsticky on October 17th, 2012 at 10:32 pm said:

I’m telling you, it is a bad idea to put movies and games on the same page. Who the hell does that?

+ herbalsticky on October 17th, 2012 at 10:49 pm said:

I wish you would’ve asked me first before you decided to change things.

+ dejct on October 17th, 2012 at 11:37 pm said:

Ok so now all the Tekken Tag Tournament 2 stuff has disappeared off the damn store now. Awesome. Its not even better its just a pain in the ass. FIX IT!

+ BG808s on October 18th, 2012 at 12:36 am said:

It certainly looks a lot better than the current store! Then again, I didn’t even think the current store design looked good when it launched years ago…

Hopefully you have taken take of all these horrible backgrounds where it’s basically impossible to read anything on the screen!

Also I really hope you have fixed the slow download queuing in the store!! Why does it take so long to queue a download?? That really shouldn’t be that complicated, that you need to wait several seconds each time you queue a new item for download, and then an additional pause when you get back to the store list again before you can continue looking.

Also, make the full store available on PC. It’s completely inexplicable why it’s not possible to check out & buy stuff from the Playstation Store on PC already. Even the current design is HTML based, so why is it still only accessible from the PS3?? Several years ago you made parts of the store available on PC, but instead of making the rest available too, even that disappeared for some reason… This needs to be fixed!

+ Zombiewaffe on October 18th, 2012 at 1:00 am said:

sweet…looks great

+ ImprisonedTitan on October 18th, 2012 at 2:19 am said:

The store looks awesome! Can’t wait to try it out!

You guys should definitely consider making a PSN app (on both iOS and Android) to allow me to buy PSN games while on the go.

+ Thiagots85 on October 18th, 2012 at 3:15 am said:

@216 I totally agree with that, and another form of payment too….

I can’t use my credit card on psn, and I’m really tired of buying psn cards and pay more than what I really need…. I would just be happy with just, ” credit card > pay > download

+ jappsn2009 on October 18th, 2012 at 3:16 am said:

interesting how everyone here seems to love the ‘look’ of the new store while pretty much everyone who’s already actually had the chance to use it have been tearing it to shreds.

maybe an indication that the new store has gone for style over function?

common complaints from those who have used it-
* slow
* no list view
* disorganized in areas
* more steps required when trying to download stuff
* tumbler keyboard
* too many ads
* harder to find stuff

these are all things getting dozens of complaints to the point where they are clearly issues rather than just 1-2 people simply disliking them.

also understand that the new store has been pulled due to the number of complaints & criticism it received.

+ GolownichyBR on October 18th, 2012 at 4:58 am said:

Good morning,

I’m from Brazil and I really hope that the store becomes more beautiful and mostly functional.

+ KnightRid on October 18th, 2012 at 5:10 am said:

Seems to be a decent update, focuses more on paid content, but….

Speed – I really hope the store is faster than what it showed in the video.

Videos – do people really pay $2+ to rent a tv show or movie? LOL wow.

Games need to be cheaper than the store bought counterpart. I have been saying this for years and companies still continue to rip people off, probably because people are too narrow minded and lazy to even realize it.

Need a web storefront to make purchases on and queue to the ps3 – a lot of people have said this and I am just chiming in ;)

We need some apps that offer free content like a Boxee Box, Roku, etc. I will never pay the ridiculous per movie fees to rent and Netflix quality is just too low for big screen tv’s so at least having some of it be free would be a huge bonus.

Playstation Plus members should get something like the above for free with subscription. You are focusing on the games but totally ignoring all of the Sony Entertainment videos, tv shows and music that could be a huge benefit at very little cost to you.

+ gueelfo99 on October 18th, 2012 at 5:27 am said:

I liked it already

+ Guyper on October 18th, 2012 at 5:28 am said:

One last suggestion…If one of the goals is to really make it easy for the gamers to search for the content that they want, than it wouldn’t hurt to expand the genre category even further by including “FPS” and “Beat ‘em Up” on the list.

A lot of gamers love shooting games, but most of them are either only into 3rd Person (Uncharted, Max Payne, etc.) or 1st person games, you’ll rarely find gamers who are into both equally.

As for “Beat ‘em Up”, if a gamer wanted to buy “The Simpsons Arcade” or “Double Dragon Neon” and he went to the genre category, he would have no clue if he should look for it in “Action”, “Arcade” or “Fighting” category.

Another reason why Sony Computer Entertainment should include “Beat ‘em Up” on the list is because it will not only make it easy for casual fans to pay attention to that particular genre, but it will also benefit the game developers. I’m especially refering to the upcoming beat ‘em up game, “Dragon’s Crown”, from Vanillaware and Atlus.

+ Guyper on October 18th, 2012 at 5:32 am said:

We can’t thank Vanillaware and Atlus enough for making this game an exclusive to the PSN. More people need to be aware of this game so that it will become a huge success.

+ KEL-C_010_FR on October 18th, 2012 at 7:03 am said:

can somebody help me i have a problem with the new playstaystion store. i did the update but when im starting up teh store i get a loading screen and if i let it that way it will be there for hours so waht do i need to do ?????

+ Elvick_ on October 18th, 2012 at 7:25 am said:

@218: I hate the look. I will never understand this visual over usability design. This kind of design (from my experience) has never been user friendly.

This makes me worry about the PS4′s UI. XMB is sleek, easy to use, well organized, and none intrusive. Performance could better, but the PS3 would need more RAM for that.

This kind of design is scattered. I hate it. And the search is terrible. It is just a verticle of the 360′s horrendous search. I am dreading this downgrade.

+ tacotaskforce on October 18th, 2012 at 9:50 am said:

Literally the only feature users of the PSN Store want is a functional way to search through already purchased/downloaded content. That’s it. Exactly zero people want the PSN Store to be “fun”, they just want it to be functional, which the download list is not.

+ JROD0823 on October 18th, 2012 at 10:30 am said:

Unless I missed a comment, everybody is excited for this store update. I was as well, until I heard how the EU transition has been going. Slower download speeds, not being able to add money into your wallet after several tries, not being recognized as a plus member if you are one, plus many other complaints are being reported. I love Sony and their products, I just don’t understand why every transition to something new has to be so difficult.

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on October 18th, 2012 at 10:30 am said:

i hate the new store display, fridgin disgusting!
just make my download list so i can sort it!
make me want to trow out!

and OH i was about to forget something,
I NEED TO SORT MY GAMES IN MY XMB BY ALPHABETICAL ORDER!

+ Sevyne on October 18th, 2012 at 11:22 am said:

Alright, so after reading the dozens upon dozens of complaints/issues over the new store from various sources I just want you guys to leave well enough alone. The only thing that absolutely needed fixing was the download list and it’s the only thing you didn’t even touch. Nobody asked for a store revamp and yet here we are with a new store coming and as it turns out, it is infinitely worse than the current store in almost every way. For the love of god delay this and make it more accessible. Nobody cares about how pretty it looks. We care about how fast and convenient it is and it’s clear from the massive uproar across the internet that it’s a huge failure in that respect.

+ Sevyne on October 18th, 2012 at 11:31 am said:

Unfortunately, I know that reality of this situation. No matter how unhappy people are with it they’re going to force it down our throats no matter how horrible it is because they already built it and they have to make the time spent on it feel like it was of value. People are just too proud of their work no matter what the consequences are.

+ Senjutsu_Dav on October 18th, 2012 at 12:16 pm said:

Was about time. This time it looks perfect! Can’t wait to try it!!! ^_^

+ Welfare_Child on October 18th, 2012 at 12:40 pm said:

i really hope you can switch to the ps keyboard from the crappy search that’s there that’s why the youtube app sucks.

+ TSTina on October 18th, 2012 at 12:48 pm said:

The new store design looks cool. I’ll add my vote to some suggestions that have already been made by others plus a couple of my own.

1) Wishlist

2) PRICE ALERTS on wishlist items so I know when things go on sale or drop in price. Have checkboxes to select if I want these alerts sent to my PSN account, my email address, and/or SMS text to my phone.

3) More competitive pricing. Digital downloads should ALWAYS be at least 20% LESS than the current price of a physical copy on Amazon and Newegg, otherwise what’s the point? Downloads can’t be traded in.

if (digitalCopy <= (physicalCopy * 0.8))
{
buy(digitalCopy);
}
else
{
buy(physicalCopy);
}

4) Some of the comments above say there are advertisements? Plus members should be exempt.

5) The vertical alphabet data entry is slow and sucks. Keep USB keyboard support and let us press SELECT to bring up the on-screen keyboard.

6) Keep an option for the alphabetical list view for store items. It's much more natural for me and I hate the tiled grid view.

7) Make every published PS3 game available as a PSN download, priced lower than Amazon, Newegg, and Steam.

+ zerozx102 on October 18th, 2012 at 1:49 pm said:

beautiful better then the old one

+ DistantWords on October 18th, 2012 at 2:05 pm said:

I hope the Vita gets a similar update sometime soon. I’d hate to think the Vita is going to be ignored or left behind…

+ Elvick_ on October 18th, 2012 at 2:38 pm said:

@235: That makes no sense. The Vita store is much newer. 4 years newer I believe. :/ if anything this update is so the PS3 isn’t, even if the update ends up terrible.

+ gearhead32 on October 18th, 2012 at 2:54 pm said:

@205 I never have a problem with slow downloads and yes I have a fast cable connection some people don’t have great internet or too far from the servers that is partly the reason for some people having slow downloads.I

+ gearhead32 on October 18th, 2012 at 3:06 pm said:

@218 from what I have read it’s just the UK store that is having the issues other countries have it and it’s working just fine so it sounds like the UK team screwed up

+ proud2be on October 18th, 2012 at 6:16 pm said:

more freebies for all . especially more free content for the ps vita. i still like the search bar not this new alphabet style search as much.

+ Trillest1_ on October 18th, 2012 at 8:01 pm said:

it looks Great! im really looking forward for the update

+ Crumahara on October 18th, 2012 at 11:38 pm said:

Store looks great. Will this one fix the problems with not accepting credit cards? My Playstation Credit Card suddenly stopped working 2 weeks ago.

+ SNAKE-EYES73 on October 19th, 2012 at 1:02 am said:

Cool idea, streaming music from friends on Facebook, heck maybe Sony could come out with a way to share music from Spotify then being able to use it in our PS3 games custom soundtracks! This would eliminate the R.I.A.A on everyone’s back, and sorry to say this, but Microsoft wouldn’t be able to get on SONYS back anymore!! Heck enough’s enough! I want to be able to play my own music in my games already!! Hope your hearing this Sony!
Spotify add this SONY, if you want to get ahead of the competition in the video game market, You damn sure had better keep up the pace cause your slowing down everything, I spoke to one of your rep’s and they said the exact same thing, Also who no birthday certificates Sony? I’ve been with you since day 1 but ever sense the PS2-PS3 came out you’ve become a greedy corporate CEO company. CHANGE OR JUST QUIT WITH THE SILLY BRAGGING RIGHTS! YOU DON’T HAVE JACK, Microsoft is owning you, Sony how are you going to compete with Kinect?

+ SNAKE-EYES73 on October 19th, 2012 at 1:06 am said:

The new store? So and so but nothing really mayor to be cheerful for, Your prices are still the same, $14.99 with no platinum’s
‘is BS in my opinion SONY! DLC game’s should be only $9.99 and no higher! I could understand it if it was with all trophies but your still ripping us off SONY! “Cheers Ya filthy animals!”

+ Peridot_Weapon on October 19th, 2012 at 2:25 am said:

To #233: “Digital downloads should ALWAYS be at least 20% LESS than the current price of a physical copy on Amazon and Newegg, otherwise what’s the point?”

The point is free money for Sony and the designing company. Consider Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City. Was priced at $49.99 when it finally went up on the store a considerable period after the physical release had come out. You could buy the game used for under $10 through certain vendors at that same time.

Despite that ridiculous price, they still got several hundred sales. And each one of them was “free money.”

They could price the games more competitively, but why? The average gamer are lazy, and more likely to opt for the easier route even if it’s more expensive. Overpricing the content costs them nothing, since there’s no “physical inventory” to store and maintain, and having periodic one-week sales has been proven to be far more profitable than pricing all the content at lower levels from the start.

It’s simple marketing. Which, naturally, is never done with the consumer’s best interests in mind. :)

+ kickformoney- on October 19th, 2012 at 5:42 am said:

So is it safe to assume that there will be screenshots for games now?

+ bombbreath on October 19th, 2012 at 7:17 am said:

Thank you Eric, We are all very excited to start this great new experience on the PS3.
As the Customer Ambassador to the Playstation Network my family and myself are gearing up to
enjoy all new shopping experience with our all new designed store. Makeing the store a place you want to
visit everyday.PSN users for the most advantage of the Store dont forget to subscribe to Playstation Plus.
Thank you from your Customer Ambassador to the Playstation Network bombbreath psn id. Any questions drop me a line on community forums PSN. Thank you again Sony make.belive

+ B-L-A-D-E86 on October 19th, 2012 at 8:01 am said:

I wish they would redo FinalFantasyX and bring it out on ps3

+ killrdukefan33 on October 19th, 2012 at 9:18 am said:

Will you be able to filter your search results? For example, if I search for Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception but all I want to are the DLC packs can I filter out videos, avatars, demos, etc? That to me would be a big help.

+ KainDrake on October 19th, 2012 at 8:12 pm said:

I was about to comment about adding a filter feature for the download list, but then at the end of the video, you mentioned you guys were working on the download list too. Hopefully it’s what I just mentioned. It’s a long overdue necessity to be able to sort through the hundreds of things in our list. All-in-all, I’m liking the new look of the store. I honestly didn’t have a problem at all with how it is now, but can’t complain about this upgrade.

+ FearedSkylanderZ on October 19th, 2012 at 8:36 pm said:

today i was on the psn store it looks great but only one problem i wanted to download a mw3 2 free face off maps for free but there was no download button how do i download it. can someone please please help me please help me p.s please help me please help

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6