PS4-The Order

PS3 System Software Update (v4.30)

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Oct 21, 2012 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

PS Vita Trophies on PS3

By the beginning of November 2012, we will retire the services available through the Life with PlayStation application. In conjunction with its retirement, we will stop offering the Life with PlayStation application to new users with the 4.30 update. This includes the conclusion of our participation with Stanford University’s Folding@home, a distributed computing project aimed at understanding protein folding, misfolding and studying the causes of a variety of diseases such as Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s as well as various cancers.

We’d like to thank the more than 15 million users that have participated in the program since it started on PS3 in 2007. PS3 users have donated in total more than 100 million computation hours to the Folding@home project to date, and as a result, contributing greatly to Stanford University’s Alzheimer ’s disease research. Considering the contribution PS3 has made to the project, we decided to retire it as a result of discussions with Stanford University.
Vijay Pande, Folding@home research lead at Stanford University, had this to say about your contributions:

“The PS3 system was a game changer for Folding@home, as it opened the door for new methods and new processors, eventually also leading to the use of GPUs. We have had numerous successes in recent years. Specifically, in a paper just published in the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, we report on tests of predictions from earlier Folding@home simulations, and how these predictions have led to a new strategy to fight Alzheimer’s disease. The next steps, now underway at Stanford, are to take this lead compound and help push it towards a viable drug. It’s too early to report on our preliminary results there, but I’m very excited that the directions set out in this paper do appear to be bearing fruit in terms of a viable drug (not just a drug candidate).”

Please note, the games shown in the picture above are examples, and do not represent existing PS3 or PS Vita games.

320 Comments

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7

+ meFreeman on October 22nd, 2012 at 2:25 pm said:

Dint liked to lost Life With Playstation

+ Rocky_3000 on October 22nd, 2012 at 2:46 pm said:

So long “Life with PlayStation”, you will be missed!

+ Permafry_42 on October 22nd, 2012 at 2:58 pm said:

I’ll miss folding@home =c

+ mikedo2007 on October 22nd, 2012 at 3:17 pm said:

Well the Vita trophies on PS3 is a nice feature. But I’m really said to see Life with Playstation/Folding@Home is going to go away. I love that thing, that’s how I got my news and also I’m a biotech nerd and a 4-time summer student at NIH studying neurodegenerative disease that is a daily users of Life With Playstation/Folding@home. I’ve used this app to do my presentation at NIH during my first year as a summer student (summer 2008). A lot of people loved the app and people in my lab said the Folding@home is a strong tool to study protein folding. I’ve also used this app as a tool for my essay report when I took Protein biotechnology class.

I’m going to miss LIfe With Playstation/Folding@home, RIP :(

+ Edenjaede on October 22nd, 2012 at 3:26 pm said:

Great, we will be able to see our Vita trophies, kool. But I am waiting for the day to come where we can see our trophies during vid chats!!!!!

+ MadRich7 on October 22nd, 2012 at 3:41 pm said:

My hard drive was making that familiar sound that hard drives make when something is going on earlier today. Was paused on the Crysis 2 in mission pause screen, pretty sure I haven’t EVER heard it make that much noise, updates coming.

+ Cubical on October 22nd, 2012 at 3:50 pm said:

That is a really lame move SOny I always leave the ps3 on after I am done playing to fold a work unit in folding @home and then shut it’s self off it is set to start folding after 30 minutes of being idle.

BEsides my PCs the ps3 was my folding machine.

there is no reason why you can keep this going.

+ Enigma777 on October 22nd, 2012 at 3:54 pm said:

About damn time! And for those asking, there is a ghetto way to sort your games by alphabetical order: reset system settings. You will have to remake all your folders and crap, but your games will be in alphabetical order!

+ xXspiderfan on October 22nd, 2012 at 4:12 pm said:

Now is this the update where there remodeling the PS store as well?

+ Dinkster37 on October 22nd, 2012 at 4:53 pm said:

Good. I will cross my fingers that you wonderful folks at Sony will fix, with 4.30, my PS3 that hasn’t read a single disk since the moment I updated to 4.25, 5 days ago.

It’s fine to be able to play all downloaded content. The moment I updated from 4.21 to 4.25…no more reading discs.

+ texas_ride on October 22nd, 2012 at 5:47 pm said:

I thought Life With Playstation had a lot of untapped community potential. Sad to see it go, hopefully we get something else to note world news and culture.

+ CHRISRHODE2004 on October 22nd, 2012 at 5:50 pm said:

My trophies haven’t worked for several years now….contacted SONY many times regarding the issue and they can’t figure it out. Trophies will NOT sync whatsoever….and have tried on 3 different PS3′s….so IT IS an account issue.

Maybe someday.

+ TLove92 on October 22nd, 2012 at 5:53 pm said:

Now only if we can delete games that have 0% that is one thing, I don’t really like about the trophies and the sync trophies. Come on sony if microsoft let you delete games that have no achievements and you don’t have to sync them at all. I think you guys can do the same thing. Make it happen sony everybody wants it.

+ amjr72 on October 22nd, 2012 at 6:52 pm said:

awwwww i’ll miss my screen saver :(

+ SpooNManX on October 22nd, 2012 at 6:57 pm said:

Supposedly alphabetizing your games takes more power than a PS3′s cell processor can handle.
Why else would they not include something so rudimentary.

The PS4 WILL have this feature though. Huge bullet point I’m betting!

+ SpooNManX on October 22nd, 2012 at 6:59 pm said:

I bet if they let PSN Plus users have the ability to sort their games and Download List ALPHABETICALLY they would see a 500% increase in memberships.

Or you can do what I do and delete and re-download everything every few weeks. It wastes their bandwidth like a @*#^$ downloading 400GB every 3 weeks, but I want my stuff in order!

+ Shacojin on October 22nd, 2012 at 7:09 pm said:

Please bring NBA.com League Pass Broadband to PS3 and PlayStation VITA!!

+ Dstruct90 on October 22nd, 2012 at 7:23 pm said:

I want to delete the trophies that are at 0%. Please add this feature

+ Ghostx187 on October 22nd, 2012 at 7:27 pm said:

I read the fine print here. But, man what a tease. I want a solar system app for vita so bad. An app where i can use touch controls to navigate the solar system and learn about and view data from the planets, sattelites, stars, galaxies and just Everything. Please make a beautiful Travel the universe app!!! Please! :)

+ manzoor47 on October 22nd, 2012 at 7:35 pm said:

i am so hyped for this :D

+ Fedast on October 22nd, 2012 at 7:40 pm said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t care about trophies?

+ Fedast on October 22nd, 2012 at 7:43 pm said:

@219 If you have an iPhone you should try “Solar Walk.” It’s just what you want.

+ ropaul on October 22nd, 2012 at 8:15 pm said:

I like this update me and my friend were always arguing bout how vita trophies matter and im sure once ppl see my vita trophies more vitas will be sold :)

+ CaSh1s_ on October 22nd, 2012 at 8:17 pm said:

I love how you guys do this update without any regard to the MIDNIGHT RELEASE OF MEDAL OF HONOR!!! you couldnt wait one extra day? or a week? bs.

+ Mr_Bipolar on October 22nd, 2012 at 8:24 pm said:

Good update. I will be waiting to update my PS3 fully! Good job PS3.

+ DPsx7 on October 22nd, 2012 at 8:47 pm said:

I still say updates should stop. Just give us the games and stop with the fluff. The end to updates is probably the only reason I want the next gen to start. I certainly don’t need new hardware yet.

I mean you broke the store with a useless update which I’m thankful the US isn’t getting. My Vita keeps asking about an update and I have to click cancel every day. Now another update? This is too much and equally unwanted. Why are these forced anyway? There should be a choice what we install and uninstall. It wastes my time and storage space. Half the time they do nothing, the other half it’s something terribly minor.

+ YungShep on October 22nd, 2012 at 8:53 pm said:

PLEASE READ #15!! that would be awesome if we could delete 0% trophies, it affects the overall player trophy level…i would probably be at level 17 had i not have alot of games at 0% please hear my battle cry :)

+ angelspawn77 on October 22nd, 2012 at 8:58 pm said:

Getting my Vita in a few days, White Vita here I come!

+ Dungeonscaper on October 22nd, 2012 at 9:02 pm said:

Disappointed with the folding at home discontinuation! I’ve uploaded almost 1000 work units! Now I feel more guilty not contributing to science :<

+ ShotgunIce41 on October 22nd, 2012 at 9:39 pm said:

Will we get an update to separate the demos from full games in the game menu of the XMB?

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on October 22nd, 2012 at 11:09 pm said:

Finally! I can’t believe that a company as big as Sony didn’t have this available since the Vita launched. Still, we’re missing seeing connected Vita players from the PS3, this is really important with games with cross play being released. What if I’m playing PS All Stars on my PS3 and want to invite a friend who has it on Vita? I’ll probably never do that since I won’t know he is online, so PLEASE fix this

+ ziggurcat on October 23rd, 2012 at 12:10 am said:

any idea when this update will go live? it’s officially october 23rd now in all north american time zones (and usually we get the updates a little earlier).

+ justin_nz on October 23rd, 2012 at 1:08 am said:

When will we get a descent media player that will play .mkv? xvidhd

+ userchris296 on October 23rd, 2012 at 4:45 am said:

@ziggurcat, i wish i knew but i been checking for update since last night and still not available. i might have a hunch that probably might be available tonight or probably monday night the 29th as of my guess.

+ gamehead_761 on October 23rd, 2012 at 7:05 am said:

i Can’t wait for this new playstation store. i hope nothing goes wrong

+ gamehead_761 on October 23rd, 2012 at 7:07 am said:

I think sony will give us an update later on.

+ UnholyBahamut on October 23rd, 2012 at 7:09 am said:

So if it is under Play Station Network, does it mean we can only access it if we are online?

+ gamehead_761 on October 23rd, 2012 at 7:13 am said:

Oh, And another thing too. will it be any changes to the Xmb screen? i’ll appreciate it.

+ gamehead_761 on October 23rd, 2012 at 7:15 am said:

The playstation store?

+ gamehead_761 on October 23rd, 2012 at 7:19 am said:

If your offline trying to acess the store it wont work. you have to sigh in to acess the playstation store

+ utilitarianSOUL on October 23rd, 2012 at 7:54 am said:

Like some other people I was avidly waiting for this, the Playstation All-stars open beta and the new PSN Store experience to go live. Is it safe to assume that since the PSN Store’s release has been delayed (in NA) that the aforementioned things won’t go live until the PSN Store gets it’s redesign (after all they were all slated to be released on the 23rd)? Any information you can give would greatly ease the burden of waiting for all gamers. I wait on bated breath for your reply, sincerely uS.

+ J4rden_ on October 23rd, 2012 at 8:08 am said:

I guess you will not throw out of the game section this ridiculous PS Store icon, huh?:/
Yeah i thought so…

+ The_Dukenator on October 23rd, 2012 at 8:24 am said:

@209 The remodeled store has nothing to do with the system update.

@210 It doesn’t read any discs including bluray, dvd, cds?

+ boriscamarena4 on October 23rd, 2012 at 9:27 am said:

And its 23 and i cant see a any update :S

+ ProfessorAnatil on October 23rd, 2012 at 12:50 pm said:

@241 and everyone else asking – the PS store update has nothing to do with the system update slated for today. The post here stating that the store update was being moved to next week was posted 2 days before the 4.30 system update post which means that unless they announce that it is being pushed back then it is still happening today. They will probably just have it go live when the add the new items for the week to the store, which should be in just over an hour, if last week is any indication.

+ iTzTuvii on October 23rd, 2012 at 2:17 pm said:

Pleaseeeeeee for the next update could you guys change the dashboard because we have the same one since 2006.. thank you

+ oakridge345 on October 23rd, 2012 at 3:10 pm said:

What? Glad to see Vita Trophies (Even though I don’t have a PS Vita), It fails that the past month, I have kept on my PS3 for folding@home, and now ill never see my progress again, but I kinda saw it coming with the fact that it is almost never updated. This and No Playstation Store Redesigen equals sadness. :(

+ Mr_Bipolar on October 23rd, 2012 at 3:16 pm said:

Where is the PS3 System Software Update (V4.30)? Posted October 21. Quote: Next Tuesday, October 23rd, we will be releasing a new system software update for PlayStation 3 (version 4.30). With this update we have made several changes to how Trophies are displayed on your PlayStation 3. The Trophy Collection will now reside under PlayStation Network on the XMB. Trophies that you have earned playing PlayStation Vita games are now displayed on your PlayStation 3. You will also be able to see your Trophy level and progress towards the next level while viewing your trophy collection.

It is already 23rd. Past 17:00 (5:00 PM).

+ Jisatsu_Kiddo on October 23rd, 2012 at 3:51 pm said:

yes it is the 23rd. they didn’t give a push time though.
they never said at midnight on the 22nd it’s live!

if the want to they can hold the push till 11:59 on the 23.

+ Crazy-Maisy on October 23rd, 2012 at 4:17 pm said:

11:59pm where though? It’s October in NA only as long as Eastern time is considered as the deadline. So that’s less than 5 hours from right now.

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7