PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault Out 11/27 for $19.99

James Stevenson's Avatar + Posted by James Stevenson on Oct 26, 2012 // Community Lead, Insomniac Games

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault

The 10th Anniversary of Ratchet & Clank is coming up next month, and it’s been a lot of fun this year reliving the memories from our original PS2 games in the recently released Ratchet & Clank Collection. We also had a blast playing the beta of Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault with all of you earlier this fall. Since then, we’ve gotten a flood of e-mails, tweets and Facebook posts asking when you can get back to exploring the battlefield and defending your base in FFA.

We’re happy to announce Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault will be available on November 27th on the PlayStation Store and at retail. That’s right, you asked and we listened: Full Frontal Assault will be available as a retail copy for those of you who love physical copies of your games! Both the download and retail versions support cross-buy as well, so your purchase gets you both the game on PS3 and a digital copy for PlayStation Vita.

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault

The other big question we’ve gotten a lot is “How much will the game cost?” As you know, Full Frontal Assault is a “fun-size” project that’s similar in scope to Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty. But Full Frontal is actually bigger than Booty (sorry, couldn’t resist), as we’ve added tons of new features, including the new base assault and defense elements. An even bigger addition to Full Frontal Assault is the replay value we packed in with online / split-screen co-op, and online competitive modes. Most importantly, while the experience itself may be more condensed, the game quality is bursting at the seams. We’re very proud of what we’ve created.

As such, we’re especially excited to announce that Full Frontal Assault is launching for just $19.99. Considering you get a brand-new Ratchet & Clank game for your PS3 and PS Vita, with cross-save and cross-play support for the game’s co-op and competitive multiplayer, it’s a deal that’s hard to refuse.

That’s all for now! We hope you’re excited about Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault’s launch on November 27th; if you have questions, we’ll try to answer them below!

+ Figboy on October 26th, 2012 at 10:00 am said:

People keep dropping the name Tools of Destruction, but A Crack in Time is, hands down, for me, the best Ratchet and Clank. Everything from the gameplay to the comedy was in top form.

The only other Ratchet I can think that would be on par is Up Your Arsenal, which was also fantastic.

Anyway, Full Frontal was cool from the beta, so I’ll definitely pick it up and play it on my Vita!

(also, I loved Tools of Destruction, I just think ACIT is the definitive “traditional” Ratchet).

Man, I love this series.

On a related note, I went to the PlayStation All Stars LA Beatdown the other day, and I learned that I’m quite formidable as Ratchet. I was maining Kratos in the beta, but took to Ratchet like a fish to water. He’s so versatile and awesome in PBR, as he should be! I may end up maining him.

Superbot did your lovable Lombax justice, JStevenson!

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 10:19 am said:

Awesome. Glad you enjoyed the LA event, hopefully you saw Ratchet loaned his Blitz Cannon out for the night!

+ Motherboop on October 26th, 2012 at 10:01 am said:

Thanks for thinking about us with the platinum & retail copy! Was on the edge about downloading the network version, however now I’ll be preordering the retail to help out! Any word on where Idol Minds is with Deadlocked?

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 10:19 am said:

Deadlocked is coming along, I think we’ll have it out before the end of the year as sort of the last piece of the 10th Anniversary celebration, but TBD

+ Mikey1123 on October 26th, 2012 at 10:06 am said:

For 20 bucks this is a steal. This will be my forth PS Vita game and I don’t own a vita yet. LOL!

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 10:19 am said:

Maybe Santa can help you out there. :-)

+ siegfried07 on October 26th, 2012 at 10:07 am said:

any chance of move support resitance 3 was amazing whit the move

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 10:20 am said:

No Move Support, unfortunately! Sorry!

+ snakeeyes211 on October 26th, 2012 at 10:07 am said:

As soon as the first retail puts it up for preorder I’ll pay it off :-)

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 4:13 pm said:

Thank you so much! We all really appreciate it!

+ DJBennett1985 on October 26th, 2012 at 10:07 am said:

Awesome… do you know the size of the Vita version?

+ BATMAN-ARCADE on October 26th, 2012 at 10:12 am said:

will the split screen have simulview?

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 4:14 pm said:

No simulview, sorry!

+ UnrealButcher on October 26th, 2012 at 10:13 am said:

Hopefully you’re still here to answer this.

So you can buy the PS3 version that will come with a digital copy of the Vita version. Now my questions are.

Am I able to buy only the Vita version (I don’t have a PS3)?

How much is it to only pick up the Vita version if we can?

Will I have to purchase an online pass for it or will it come with one?

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 10:21 am said:

There is no online pass.

The digital version of the game is 19.99, and it works on PS3 or Vita (or both)

+ Zezzler on October 26th, 2012 at 10:15 am said:

It’s good to see another great PlayStation Franchise make it’s way to the vita.

While I’m still somewhat skeptic about the MOBA and Tower Defense influences , It’s still has the great Behind the shoulder Ratchet and Clack gameplay.

And hearing that it’s coming to retail is really good too.

I hope i’m wrong in my worries, I really want this to be a great game.

+ DarthDanMan on October 26th, 2012 at 10:21 am said:

@58
1. You only buy it digitaly over PSN on the Vita.

2. Like they said in the article it’s $20.

3. If you buy it new you an online pass doesn’t matter anyways. And seeing as it’s digital only you can only buy it new for the Vita.

+ DarthDanMan on October 26th, 2012 at 10:22 am said:

@61
I hate typos… :-(

Day 1 purchase for me over PSN! :D

+ Tiael on October 26th, 2012 at 10:25 am said:

Just a question, is the retail release a copy you have to install to your HDD to play or is the game actually playable from the disc?

I know the Journey physical release with flOw and Flower were all on a disc, but you had to install it to the PS3 like a digital release and play from there.

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 12:37 pm said:

There is still an install, but it doesn’t install the whole game

+ saskamazon on October 26th, 2012 at 10:30 am said:

wow, what a great deal ! even if it is short … Quest for Booty is the one I haven’t played – so no idea the length, but either way, $20 for crossbuy is a steal of a deal … we were playing All 4 1 last night & in spite of the many negative reviews on that game, we love it ! I was looking to buy it when it became available free in the IGC … I’m happy to pay $20 for this – I don’t think a + discount is appropriate, given how reasonably priced this is …. sure hope the Vita version isn’t 3 gb …. that’s huge, I think Uncharted Vita was around that size …. you guys are breaking the bank in my house – have LBP Karting & All Stars preordered – always do when there’s bonus DLC … when I pick up Karting, I’ll preorder this one – I don’t usually if there are no preorder perks, but given you say it’s helpful, I will … Day 1 & THANKS !! my son is going to be thrilled . :-)

+ MushThePainter on October 26th, 2012 at 10:30 am said:

$20?!? SOLD!!!

+ Triple_Threat on October 26th, 2012 at 10:31 am said:

YES!! Finally, a release date. When we preorder, can we get Day 1 Digital on PS Store?

Although I can’t wait for this to come out, any word on when Ratchet: Deadlocked is going to be released on PSN? My nostalgia kick still hasn’t been satiated.

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 12:39 pm said:

If you pre-order on PSN (I think this is possible? not really sure) you’ll get it Day 1. If you pre-order in stores you’ll get it Day 1 and can download the Vita on Day 1.

Deadlocked date is still TBD though Idol Minds is workin hard on it

+ UnrealButcher on October 26th, 2012 at 10:35 am said:

@60 DarthDanMan.

Hey, thanks for taking the time to post that, and in doing it in a polite manner. Also thanks to James Stevenson for taking the time to respond also.

I’m new to the PSN side of things so didn’t know all New Vita games came with a code, or don’t need it. I’ve only bought retail that come with a code in the box.

I’m more then happy to pay the $20 knowing that if I decide to buy a PS3 at a later time, I will be able to download this to it. Cool, and thanks again.

+ shogun00 on October 26th, 2012 at 10:37 am said:

Is my favorite weapon Mr. Zurkon in the game?

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 12:39 pm said:

Mr. Zurkon is angry that you think he wouldn’t be included

+ Yuranium on October 26th, 2012 at 10:39 am said:

$20 and cross-buy? all i can say is sony is getting better and better. nothing can beat this deal. will pre-order it soon

+ FoxMan250 on October 26th, 2012 at 10:45 am said:

I will definitely be getting this, mostly cuz R&C is just the perfect fit for my on the go Vita gaming on long business flights!! :)

That said…. James, your chimeran avatar makes me sad… I may never know what happens after 3… sniff :’(

+ DarkOne_PR on October 26th, 2012 at 10:46 am said:

DAY ONE FOR SURE! And WILL pre-order just to help u out guys!

And my everytime rant on imsomniac blogs :)

Insomniac…. PLS go back to Resistance…. go make it what made the first one the game that made me buy a ps3. Nathan Hale and its storyline was so awesome and so much to be done with him… and the ending in R3 was so weak and they left us no where with it…. PLS Give us R4 with the ending that franchise deserve.

Even in one of the intels u find in R2 i guess, they talk about regeneration and stuff…. how about Hale’s cells mixed together with the chimerian virus brought him back to life (given that Malikov had Hale’s body in one of those tanks with water and stuff) to give humanity their world back in a campaign back to back with Joseph Cappelli (Co-op Campaign with a second partner that matters in the story! Not like John….) Also to finish the story u can put the creatures or life specimens that forced the chimeras get out of this planet long ago that left a big hole unexplained… u can put cappelli and Hale in a quest to find the origins of this creatures and get them to help humanity one last time along with their efforts?

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 4:11 pm said:

Thanks for the pre-order!

In terms of Resistance, I mean, never say never, but we don’t have any plans right now to continue that franchise. It’s up to Sony to continue if they want to :-)

+ StargamerX on October 26th, 2012 at 10:47 am said:

Hey James,

Earlier you responded the game was 3GB, but is the Vita version a bit smaller? I need to know if I need to buy a larger memory card.

Either way I will be pre-ordering the retail PS3 version! Can’t wait!

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 1:19 pm said:

Not sure yet on Vita size

+ supermoc10 on October 26th, 2012 at 10:55 am said:

The game looks amazing. Can’t wait for it to come out. Looking forward to playing co-op with my friends at home and on-the-go.

Is there Cross-Controller in this game?

+ Daimomaru on October 26th, 2012 at 10:56 am said:

$20 for both versions is ridiculous in a good way, you got my money yesterday I tell you YESTERDAY!

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 1:19 pm said:

Thanks! Pre-ordering is awesome for game developers, so if you get a chance, please do!

+ yami930 on October 26th, 2012 at 11:03 am said:

You know, I would love it if Sony was able to get the rights for the Metal Arms series, because Metal Arms Glitch in the system was a realy great game, easily could be a triology and it felt like Ratchet and Clank games and Jak and Daxter, so it would be a perfect fit for Sony with its cartoon style humor and good gameplay.

+ doctorSTRANG on October 26th, 2012 at 11:09 am said:

Will Ratchet find the other lombaxes in a future R&C tittle? Do you think its possible to someone make a more stupid question than I did?

+ sekaniy on October 26th, 2012 at 11:10 am said:

Awesome!!!
Now a serious question that haven’t been asked yet, Can you guys talk to Superbot and make Ratchet’s level 3 be a full RYNO with the music blasting like it did in ACiT? And change level 2 to Giant Clank? 😊😉

+ Lord_CBH on October 26th, 2012 at 11:38 am said:

Excellent! I absolutely can’t wait to pick this up for my Vita….That said….Can we get the Ratchet Collection on the Vita? Many of us Ratchet fans would absolutely love being able to play the games anywhere.

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 1:20 pm said:

That’s totally up to Sony – we’d support it if they decided to port it for sure

+ FRANKMAN1 on October 26th, 2012 at 11:39 am said:

Can’t wait to get it. Love you insomniac! Thanks for supporting my favorite video game series ever

+ Kchow23 on October 26th, 2012 at 11:42 am said:

Will we be able to preorder it from PSN? I really enjoyed a Crack in Time and my PS Vita is in desperate need of a Rachet and Clank game :)

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 1:29 pm said:

If you can pre-order games from PSN, I think so!

+ Kchow23 on October 26th, 2012 at 11:42 am said:

more specifically an Insomniac game!

+ Teflon02 on October 26th, 2012 at 11:45 am said:

Okay I’m buying thisfor sure, glad it’s after the big weeks of release. But 2 things
The size of the vita download
And Why would you guys make the PS3 Pbysical but Vita digital only, when Vita is the one with Memory limitations? As in memory cards are expensive, I’ve had Vita since release and won’t buy a Memory Card unless it’s 32gb but I can’t afford to buy it up to this day because of the high price. On top of that, most games I can’t even get or other buy cause I only have a 4gb, youtube needs free memory to use it, I have over 10 psOne Classics, over 15 psp legacys that are over 25bg together. Point is, PS3 isn’t limited by memory and using a bluray is basically a waste of money compared to a card on vita. I know this is Insomniac but common, this makes everything worse especially with this. I just got slapped in the face basically, I’m buying vita physical for PSABR because this is a issue and I’ll get the ps3 later even if I get no cross buy.

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 1:30 pm said:

I think given that we are a 19.99 game, it gets prohibitive to print Vita game cards vs. blu ray discs (which are pretty cheap). Honestly not sure of all the economic decisions, but I believe that certainly plays a pretty big part in it.

It’s not a slap in the face, it’s just the reality of a smaller game, and to be honest, we think getting it on both systems for just 19.99 with a campaign, online co-op and competitive MP is a pretty sick deal.

+ Teflon02 on October 26th, 2012 at 11:49 am said:

Also, can we PLEASE see PS Vita gameplay or a Vita trailer, cause everytime the vita version of games arnt shown til release it seems there’s always a issue. And I hope that’s not the case cause Ratchet and Clank is one of my all time fav Series and Ratchet IMO is the real PlayStation Mascot. Also I’d love other previous Ratchets like ToD or ACiT being ported if that was cool :p

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 1:31 pm said:

The Vita version is still being worked on, we will show it before launch. It’s a port of the PS3 game, so they are a little behind it in terms of being ready to show, but it should be in the weeks leading to launch

+ shadowbroly on October 26th, 2012 at 11:59 am said:

$20 for a full Ratchet & Clank game! And you also get Both PS3 and Vita copies of the game that have cross play capabilities! This is insane! You have to be crazy not to buy this!

+ guitarded77 on October 26th, 2012 at 12:05 pm said:

Cool… it has Full Frontal Trophy Support.

+ PrinceofXIII on October 26th, 2012 at 12:11 pm said:

awesome stuff :D

+ ItsMichael_ on October 26th, 2012 at 12:17 pm said:

Awesome, I will definitely pick this up, and thank you insomniac for providing a physical copy. Now how about making Quest for Booty a physical copy in the U.S. as well ;)

+ Warp1280 on October 26th, 2012 at 12:25 pm said:

So is this going to be the last R&C ? I appreciate what u guys did with all 4 one, and this looks decent, but I can’t help feeling that it is just an obligatory 10th anniversary thing. It seems like from what I’ve seen, Insomniac is tired of R&C, and the whole “kiddy” style. I really hope you guys don’t abandon R&C. It is one of my favorite series, and I don’t want it to suffer the same fate as Spyro (UGH, Skylanders).

+ djnealb on October 26th, 2012 at 12:33 pm said:

This sounds great! Out of curiosity, is there any chance that Insomniac might re-release the first three PS3 games (Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, and Crack in Time) as a collection? It would be even better if they finally put Trophy support on those first two.

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 1:34 pm said:

We won’t get trophy support in the first two honestly, but it’s possible they could get all packaged together at some point

+ Zexdus712 on October 26th, 2012 at 1:03 pm said:

let’s see:

$20 for a Ratchet game on my shiny new Vita? SOLD!!! SOLD!!! SOLD!!!!

i hope they got another RYNO this time… maybe throw in the 1812 overture of RYNO V….that’s be nice…wishful thinking though…

+ DarkMegamanSX900 on October 26th, 2012 at 1:39 pm said:

Thanks Insomniac and James for this release date I played the beta and I loved it so Consider it bought.!!! Wonder when DeadLock is coming out any Idea James?

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 1:44 pm said:

I think it’ll be out this year, but we’ll see. We’re trying to get it out there, but Full Frontal Assault needs some time to shine too

+ Munty13 on October 26th, 2012 at 2:00 pm said:

Hey James, I have a few questions

1. Is there any bonuses that come from buying the disc version over the digital version?
2. Is there any new Full Frontal Assault promotional character art, like the picture on the box art?
3. Are there any links between this game and Playstation Allstars Battle Royale (like unlockable costumes)?
4. Are you allowed to say the development time you had on the game?

thanks, Ratchet and Clank rock, Quark too.

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 3:02 pm said:

1. The box and case and less space on your PS3 hard drive used ;-).
    2. The one main piece of art is the only one. There MIGHT be a new render of the villain but not sure if that’s going to happen.
    3. Nope.
    4. We’ve been working on it since shipping All 4 One.

+ Cck17 on October 26th, 2012 at 2:05 pm said:

I’ll go and preorder it right now!, if you do me a favor and answer my 2 questions. ;D

1) Is the physical copy 20$ in stores?

2) Do you think we’ll ever see a Ratchet and Clank with multiplayer like R&C UYA/DEADLOCKED? Me and many other R&C fans have been dying for a modern day R&C multiplayer. I know there’s the HD collection with online, but a lot of us have been dying for a modern day one…
This game has multiplayer which is nice but it isn’t the multiplayer like the two I just mentioned which many of us fans really want.

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 3:11 pm said:

1. Physical copy is also 19.99

2. You never know! We very well could. The biggest thing that could show us people want more Ratchet MP is to continue to see people playing it in the HD Collection, FFA, and in the upcoming Deadlocked HD

+ DaveTheSnake on October 26th, 2012 at 2:08 pm said:

James, Question for you. You mentioned that the PS3 version is a 3 GB download roughly, how big is the Vita download?

Will be buying this day one.

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 3:01 pm said:

Not sure yet on Vita download

+ shadowfan40 on October 26th, 2012 at 2:18 pm said:

Hey, I was curious. Have you guys ever thought of a Quest for Booty/Full Frontal combo disc or something along those lines? America never got QFB on disc, so I think it would be pretty cool to have both on one disc.

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 3:00 pm said:

There IS a Q4B disc that is cleared for manufacture in the US (has been since we shipped the game) – there’s been a few instances where it almost got packed in, but nothing ever quite worked out. Regardless, it is something we think about and have considered doing from time to time, so you never know :-)

+ TaggSte on October 26th, 2012 at 2:39 pm said:

Thanks for the news, jstevenson.

I played the beta and absolutely loved it – I was number two on the leaderboards for awhile I think. I was really hoping this would come to retail, and you guys have clearly listened! I’ll preorder ASAP from Best Buy when their listing goes live.

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 3:01 pm said:

Thank you so much, really appreciate your support and pre-order

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 3:00 pm said:

UPDATE:

You may see above that there is a strikethrough on co-op in terms of cross-play support. This was an error that we thought we corrected, but somehow slipped through to the post. Totally my bad. Regardless, cross-play on FFA only applies to the competitive mode.

Apologies for any confusion. It wasn’t our intent.

Thanks,
JS + Insomniac

+ Wozman23 on October 26th, 2012 at 3:03 pm said:

I’m more than fine with digital distribution, but glad to see a retail release. I’ll be pre-ordering a physical copy ASAP.

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 3:12 pm said:

Thank you so much!

+ Saiyan-PS- on October 26th, 2012 at 3:57 pm said:

Awesome news! :)

Hey, is the campaign mode exactly like the online mode? You know, the entire game is based on a Tower Defense mode? or there’s like a traditional story for us to play, just like in any other R&C game?

:D

+ James Stevenson on October 26th, 2012 at 4:09 pm said:

A little bit of both. It’s more objective based than it is like you vs. the PC. And there is a story and cinematics. But the levels are still wide-open, you still have a base you have to defend, and you have to explore for nodes and your weapons and the objectives. But all of that is contained within the story and the story explains why you do it

Does that make sense?

+ Dragun619 on October 26th, 2012 at 4:04 pm said:

Man, I have to say this is a fantastic deal. The price is just perfect for me as I move away from buying $60 titles and just keep my buying range around $20 to $30. When I read this, I said “Gat daaang”, Needless to say this will be bought day one at retail along with the R&C Collection. Perfect for the R&C itch I was getting as I play Jak & Daxter Collection.

I recently got Psn Plus too, and downloaded All 4 One, but I think I’ll also add the retail version to my cart as well. Now all we need is a R&C: Future Collection and Deadlock HD ( A Physical copy would be dope) and I’ll have the whole R&C set for PS3. haha.

+ freshprincepbg on October 26th, 2012 at 4:08 pm said:

I played the Beta and loved the multi-player!!

I’m a little worried about the campaign, I hope it’s not as kid-ish as All 4 One was.