Watch Dogs 2

Oct 30

Oct 30

Bunches of Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz DLC Coming to PS Vita

Aaron Webber's Avatar Posted by Associate Brand Manager, Sega of America

Hey everyone, Aaron here from SEGA. If you, like me, are a gamer with fond memories of Super Monkey Ball (Did anyone else play hours of Monkey Target?), and if you’re a PS Vita owner, you’ll be thrilled to learn that Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz is out now!

If you’re new to the SMB scene, the game is a skill-based platformer at heart with over 100 unique levels, but is also packed with multiplayer mini-games that take advantage of the PS Vita features. For the first time ever in a Monkey Ball game, we’ve also included a custom level creator that uses the PS Vita camera! And yes, Monkey Target, SMB’s most beloved mini-game (and perhaps most hilarious drinking game) is back in all its glory.

Fans will recognize all the tried and true elements of SMB that you’ve come to love, along with multiple difficulty settings: easy, medium, hard, and oh-my-god-this-is-amazingly-ridiculous. Well, we actually just call the last one “advanced,” but it’s so difficult it’s sure to give you hours of challenge. I’d actually bet maybe one in a hundred of you could complete it. Challenge accepted?

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz is out now in stores and on PSN. We hope gamers of all ages will have a great time with it, both offline and on!

This is just the start of things for SMB on PS Vita, as I can reveal that we have eight different packs of DLC, all on their way to you in the very near future. The DLC packs will include a number of special additions to the Level Creator mode, from special floor pieces to a giant Sonic the Hedgehog statue! (See above.)

We’d love to hear your thoughts and comments, so hit us up below and I’ll do my best to answer all the SMB questions you guys may have. Thanks in advance!

Add Your Own

xK1ll3rzZ said:

October 30th, 11:06 am

when it will be on the Ps Vita store?

October 30th, 11:35 am

The DLC bundle will be live (for all PSN users) later this afternoon!

madribar said:

October 30th, 11:13 am

I’m here updating the Blog page every minute to check when the Store Update will be available.

October 30th, 11:36 am

Glad to hear you’re excited. Lots of good stuff going on today in the gaming world. :)

Bounty_V said:

October 30th, 11:19 am

Wait, now I’m confused. Are these DLC packs the same ones that went on sale for $1.99 in last week’s Store Update, or are these an additional 8 pieces of DLC?

October 30th, 11:40 am

Hmm… magical! The DLC shouldn’t have been available until today, but if you’ve got it already, either there was a technical mishap somewhere, or you are a wizard.

RdgMenezes said:

October 30th, 11:20 am

Me too + madribar, me too :(

October 30th, 11:58 am

Me too! Although I’m also looking for more comments and questions to reply to. Keep ’em coming!

dlhdav7 said:

October 30th, 11:26 am

update the store !!!!!! i want my nfs most wanted NOW !!!

October 30th, 11:53 am

Were that I could, I would update the store for you ten-times over!

snakeeyes211 said:

October 30th, 11:42 am

Does the complete bundle that’s going to be on sale today come with everything that you’re showing us?

October 30th, 11:51 am

The bundle gives you 8x Packs of DLC for the level creator. Those include the Sonic Statue you see above, a large array of new floor pieces, a few throwbacks to other SEGA franchises (anyone remember Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine?), and also custom console obstacles, including a Genesis, Sega Saturn, and even a Dreamcast.

Ryumoau said:

October 30th, 11:58 am

Love your avatar, Aaron. Any chance we could get that on the psn store? :P

October 30th, 12:01 pm

Ah, are you an old PSO fan? Kudos if you recognize what it’s from! I spent a good 8 years of my life addicted to that series.

snakeeyes211 said:

October 30th, 12:00 pm

Thanks for the quick reply I’ll be buying the DLC bundle today and the game should be arriving tomorrow:-)

October 30th, 12:02 pm

No problemo! My goal is to respond to every single comment that shows up today. Enjoy the game and the DLC – Monkey Target especially! :)

Bounty_V said:

October 30th, 12:01 pm

If you read this update: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/10/23/playstation-store-update-262/

It says, and I quote, “Super Monkey Ball Banana Splitz

Complete DLC Bundle ($1.99) – All eight pieces of DLC for Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz in a single bundle! Each DLC pack enhances and adds to the custom Level Creator, allowing you to create all-new maps like never before. From super-challenging level pieces to giant Sonic statues, and even including a SEGA Genesis for the truly old school gamers, this bundle is the ultimate collection for fans of Super Monkey Ball!”

Ah well, thanks for clarifying that both are in fact one and the same.

October 30th, 3:08 pm

No prob, thanks likewise for posting that. I won’t consider you any less a wizard.

kristof666 said:

October 30th, 12:04 pm

Hi Aaron.

not sure about monkeyball already own the game for few system

gamecube, iphone,xbox,gba…

will sega ever going to release a yakuza game for the vita?!

October 30th, 12:10 pm

Hi Kristof666!

If you enjoy the older Monkey Ball games, or at least the first few, you’ll have a good time with Banana Splitz. We’ve added a lot to really make it unique from the games you already own, while also keeping in the best parts fans love. (Monkey Target, etc) The new online play and the level creator are probably two of my favorites.

To answer your question… in Japan, SEGA did release a couple Yakuza-series games for handheld on the PSP, but there’s no word currently about the Yakuza series arriving on handhelds here in the US.

RdgMenezes said:

October 30th, 12:15 pm

Hey Aaron, any news about the release date of Soul Sacrifice?

I’m crazy about this game =)

October 30th, 12:24 pm

I will admit, I know very little about that game! My work here at SEGA means I deal with SEGA franchises, like Sonic, Yakuza, Super Monkey Ball, and more recently, Anarchy Reigns.

I’m also a gamer at heart though, and recently finished rolling through all four of the major Assassin’s Creed titles (1, 2, Brotherhood, and Revelations). Excited to play through 3 soon!

kristof666 said:

October 30th, 12:25 pm

oh thanks for de detailed awnser Aaron

October 30th, 12:30 pm

You’re very welcome!

RdgMenezes said:

October 30th, 12:30 pm

Thanks Aaron ヽ(*・ω・)ノ

October 30th, 12:37 pm

No problem, thanks Rdg!

Goldanas said:

October 30th, 12:31 pm

Yo, dude. I’m in the U.S. and I already bought and downloaded the DLC pack you mention here last Tuesday. Not that I have a problem with that, it was a fair price and came with lots of great things.

I would say that in the future, you guys should probably make sure all those items come as a single download, or you at least change the images for each individual item so that it’s easier to discern between them in the download list. They all had the Sonic Statue image as their download icon (maybe this will be fixed for today’s update since it was apparently released a little earlier than it should have been).

Love the game, keep doing great things SEGA, and I look forward to your continued support for the Vita.

October 30th, 12:36 pm

The feedback is much appreciated! I’ll make sure that Sonic statue image is updated too – that image should just be for the bundle, with the rest being unique.

Glad to hear you’re enjoying the game and DLC – thanks for supporting the VITA and Super Monkey Ball!

Bounty_V said:

October 30th, 12:37 pm

If Banana Splitz has good enough sales, any possibilities of a PS3 installment to the franchise?

October 30th, 12:44 pm

Too early to speculate, I think. But the Super Monkey Ball franchise has enjoyed a lot of popularity on various consoles in the past, including PS2. We appreciate all the Sony fans out there who also enjoy and are picking up SMB!

Bounty_V said:

October 30th, 12:50 pm

Speaking of PS2, if you guys ever do consider bringing SMB to the PS3, I’d love to see an HD remake of Super Monkey Ball Deluxe – that is my all-time favorite SMB game!

October 30th, 3:08 pm

We get a lot of comments that say similar. Thanks for your feedback!

caldera39 said:

October 30th, 1:12 pm

just wondering why the day 1 games are so late to be added on psn. pre-ordered most wanted oct 2nd could have picked it up at the store in the morning. just an inquiry. thanks.

October 30th, 3:16 pm

Are you referring to SMB, or previous game releases?

JumpMan33 said:

October 30th, 1:16 pm

Hey Aaron, any word if PSO2 for Vita will see a simultaneous world wide release, or will it be Japan only for awhile like the PC version?

October 30th, 3:12 pm

If I make any comment about PSO2, the Rappies will come find me and tie me up and hit me with spoons again… but I will say that I’m personally super excited for anything and everything related to the game.

So, no word from me, but I imagine that in time you’ll hear some more news from our Community team over at the SEGA Blogs!

JetSetFuture said:

October 30th, 1:38 pm

I haven’t played all the Monkey Balls games, so maybe this has be done already, but has SEGA considered sticking some of its franchise characters inside balls and including them as playable characters? Perhaps they could be added as DLC? I know it’s called Monkey Ball, but why should the monkeys have all the fun?! Plus, it would be funny as hell to see Ryo Hazuki trapped inside a ball. It would serve him right for taking such a long hiatus from his quest.

October 30th, 3:44 pm

A cool idea! I can’t say whether or not we may have already considered such a spherical style of easter egg, but who knows… ?

Yohmaru_EX said:

October 30th, 2:13 pm

como on store update, you’re late!!!

October 30th, 3:47 pm

The store says it apologizes for the wait, but it missed the train and then the traffic was a state. And if you get that lyrical reference, you get +5 cool imaginary cool points. The best part is, being imaginary, you can do whatever you want with them.

(But for reals, I’m just a SEGA guy, so I don’t actually know or have any control over the store itself updating.)

Edzo04ps said:

October 30th, 2:16 pm

any news on jet set radio for vita? very disappointed by the delay even though i fully expected it to happen.

October 30th, 3:49 pm

No news from me, but I do know there’s news a’ brewing… the good kind, that is.

tusunami said:

October 30th, 3:06 pm

After seeing this video, the kid kid in me was happy about this game. can’t wait to get this yeah for Ps Vita!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 30th, 3:50 pm

Glad to hear it. Thanks Tusu, hope you enjoy the game!

TubaDude49 said:

October 30th, 5:08 pm

Always nice to see devs tackle all the comments. Kudos.

I’ve been a fan of the series for a while, primarily Jr. for the GBA and Deluxe for the PS2. I haven’t played any since Adventure because I really didn’t like the feel of the game at all. Is this one more like the older ones where it’s just puzzles? If so I’m very interested.

October 30th, 5:29 pm

Yes – Banana Splitz is very much a move back to what made the originals great, and a lot of that was in simple but challenging puzzle-style levels. Over time, some of the SMB games also got easier – to the point that fans noted it and let us know they wanted to see that original, super-difficult style back. Both of these are things you’ll note in SMB: Banana Splitz.

To sum it up, this is essentially the best-of offering of what makes SMB great. You’ve got the old school difficulty for the hardcore fans, the mini-games like Monkey Target for the party mode fans, and all-new Level Creator and other modes for the next generation of PS VITA owners that are new to the franchise.

DarkOne_PR said:

October 30th, 8:42 pm

I wasted my high school lifeplaying PSO and 2 on gamecube :) it was the best! the 4 players split screen co-op! oooh how i miss that…now days with more powerful consoles we get less 4 players split screen games…. a shame indeed…

Elvick_ said:

October 30th, 11:44 pm

Heh, I was wondering why the DLC that just came out last week was going to get a PS+ discount. Oh well, it was worth the full price for me. Otherwise I wouldn’t have bought it.

Are you guys going to update the game with a patch for physical controls in the menus? I mean, I don’t mind touch menus, but I like having the option. Because if I’m into the game with physical controls, and then go into menus, I don’t want to have to switch.

At least you did touch menus good though. You can swipe, or tap to move. The way it should be. *glares at Uncharted: Golden Abyss*

Elvick_ said:

October 30th, 11:45 pm

Loving the game by the way. Going to be switching between this, Assassin’s Creed 3: Liberation, Need For Speed: Most Wanted and New Little King’s Story (almost done with that one).

PrinceofXIII said:

October 31st, 10:41 am

Monkey Madness :D

NewerDCD said:

November 3rd, 10:33 am

Whoah, I just noticed your avatar is Wilm Break. It’s good to see SEGA hasn’t forgotten C.A.R.D. Revolution. I loved the characters in it.