PS4-Watch_Dogs

Under Defeat HD: One Small Studio’s Development Mission

Hiroyuki Maruyama's Avatar + Posted by Hiroyuki Maruyama on Oct 30, 2012 // CEO, G.rev Ltd.

Under Defeat on PS3

As a small Japanese developer specializing in a niche genre, it is a great pleasure to be able to release one of our games internationally. Under Defeat HD: Deluxe Edition will be our first PS3 / PlayStation Network title distributed outside of Japan, and our first international package release since WarTech: Senko no Ronde in 2007.

Old-school. Retro. While we do use those terms to describe the titles we develop, fundamentally we hope to make games that are of the same cloth as the classics we played and loved in our youth. Our studio was built on the concept of creating “game-like games” – drawing from the dynamics and style of past favorites. We have felt that the number of similar games on the market have dwindled, particularly in recent years.

Though we are a small team – and plans do not always go as we had hoped – our intentions to continue producing what we believe are “game-like games” has not changed.

The concept for the original arcade version of Under Defeat could be simplified to developing a realistic wartime shoot ’em up. At the time, the team that would become the core creators of Under Defeat was idle as they had just finished a previous project. The rest of the company was focused on Senko no Ronde, and though we considered having the team merge in with the others, I decided to give them time to think of designs for a new game instead.

Under Defeat on PS3

The duo would initially conjure up plans that were not even in the same genre. Despite taking on characteristics of what some might describe as overly enthusiastic appreciation of historical weaponry, I thought that giving them the freedom to create what they want would encourage the team to really take control of the project; and, moreover, produce something that has yet to be made.

Earlier this year, in response to a large number of requests from domestic and overseas fans, we released the HD version of Under Defeat for current generation consoles in Japan. At the same time, we were in discussions with Rising Star Games to bring the title to the North American and European markets.

We had known Rising Star for carrying a good lineup of hardcore Japanese games and felt they would understand a 2D shooter like Under Defeat. More specifically, we believed they would appreciate and respect the core nature of the game. We certainly hope that the project will be successful and that we can build a continuing relationship with the publisher.

Under Defeat on PS3Under Defeat on PS3

Since we set up shop in 2000, G.rev has maintained and championed the aforementioned policy in terms of approaching game development. And while we will continue to strive to create “game-like games,” times have changed and we must take on new challenges.

In a lot of ways, we have basically done what we pleased these past 12 years. Hopefully in the future, we will be able to show fans and gamers growth as a company. It would be nice to look back a few years down the road to see that we have made progress since the release of Under Defeat HD.

More than likely, however, we will probably still have some kind of hand in producing and making shoot ’em ups (LOL).

20 Comments

+ ModSquade on October 30th, 2012 at 7:04 am said:

Looks great! I grew up with classic shoot em up games like this and always savior these games.

Anyone remember Lightening Force, or Thunder Force 4 on the Genesis?

+ corrosivefrost on October 30th, 2012 at 7:07 am said:

Every time I come across this game, I can’t help but think:
“This would be fantastic on my PS Vita. I’ll totally buy it.”
And then I realize that it’s PS3 only and I’m sad…

+ remanutd5 on October 30th, 2012 at 7:12 am said:

ALL psn games should be developed to be played on both consoles ps3 and psvita, heck i would even add HD collections too.

+ remanutd5 on October 30th, 2012 at 7:13 am said:

oh by the way i agree with comment #2 if this was available on the vita i’ll totally buy it.

+ usagi704 on October 30th, 2012 at 7:15 am said:

I already pre-ordered it since I have enjoyed a few of G.rev’s previous releases like Senko no Ronde and Mamoru-kun.

+ Nv3rt1igh7 on October 30th, 2012 at 7:15 am said:

I agree, this game does look fun and entertaining to play!
@ModSquade,

I remember Lightening Force but I also just remembered a game called ‘Terra Force’ as well.
Very addicting ‘flight/shooters’!

+ GhostMachine1 on October 30th, 2012 at 7:33 am said:

Game looks legit. Personally, I prefer these kinds of games on PS3, so I’m happy.

+ KidCommando on October 30th, 2012 at 8:09 am said:

no gameplay video?

+ Ryumoau on October 30th, 2012 at 8:22 am said:

@8 i was wondering same thing.

+ Lance_87 on October 30th, 2012 at 8:28 am said:

I don’t understand one thing: the retail version will include all DLC and patches, so this means the PSN version will not be patched and not getting DLC anytime soon?

+ SAB-CA on October 30th, 2012 at 9:37 am said:

First of all, let me thank you for Senko No Ronde! Loved the game, really wish the sequel made it’s way outside of Japan. :/ Second, thanks for Strania! That was a great XBLA release, and if I ever manage to properly beat it, I plan to get Side Vower, too! (Of course, if you’d like to put the DLC & Game on sale sometime soon, that’d be nice, too!)

But, regarding Under Defeat HD, very glad to see this making it to the US and Europe! I’ve seen the game played on Dreamcast at various anime and gaming conventions over the past 12 years, so it’ll be nice to finally get to own a proper US version of it. Your “Game-like games” feeling truly does come though, and it’s a feeling that is easily left behind by many big-budget, modern releases.

Please continue to bring as many wonderful “Game-like Games” to the whole world, as you can! I’d still be interested in buying a localized Senko No Ronde DUO – Dis-United Order!

Also, I am looking forward to any and all Vita releases that you can manage! It really is a great system for games of these types! I see you have plans to release a Senko no Ronde for Vita? I hope that makes it outside of Asia!!

+ ProperKROE on October 30th, 2012 at 9:40 am said:

Changpo for life!

It would be great if the Vita Senko no Ronde were to be released in North America!

+ h2omasnah- on October 30th, 2012 at 11:50 am said:

This game should be on both PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita with the standard purchase once, play on all your devices A.K.A. “Cross Buy” and the ability to able to continue your save. That’s the bare minimum. More is obviously better, for example, “Cross Controller.” This would make so much more people purchase PlayStation Vita’s, PlayStation 3′s and this game.

+ h2omasnah- on October 30th, 2012 at 11:50 am said:

I forgot to add, I would buy this game if it that was the case and more reasons to purchase a PlayStation Vita.

+ Axecution on October 30th, 2012 at 1:12 pm said:

Looks cool. Sweet that theres a BD version too lol a video or demo will get my attention a lot more though :p

+ Heavenly_king on October 30th, 2012 at 2:13 pm said:

@2, @3:

I agree every PSN and HD remaster must also be available for the VITA, because it makes more sense. PSN games should offered in 2 ways if bought from a PS3/PSVITA: PS3 / PSVITA (only 1 device, not both) version alone for certain price, and PSVITA+PS3 bundle for a higher price but not twice the price. Porting PS3 games to VITA is quite easy so I dont think publishers and developers would use much resources in order to make the port.

Also HD remasters, if compared to a native PS3 game, look not so good; but they would look quite amazing in the VITA OLED screen like MGS HD collection. So I think that if offered via the PSN there should be some kind of pricing strategy like the one with PSN games above.

+ tusunami on October 30th, 2012 at 3:18 pm said:

I like games like this can’t wait to get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ JinchenUS1 on October 31st, 2012 at 7:30 pm said:

greaty! wait for this game

+ lannando on November 1st, 2012 at 12:05 pm said: