Final Fantasy VII Remake

Nov 05

Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition

PlayStation Plus Update: RE5 Gold Edition Free for Plus, Portal 2 Discounted, More

Morgan Haro's Avatar Posted by Morgan Haro on Nov 05, 2012 // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

Oh hey, November. Almost didn’t see you there with all of your fall colors, national holidays, and general autumn revelry. While the temperature may be dropping, Plus is getting ready to deliver some great content. We’re happy to kick off this month with Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition, free for PlayStation Plus members! There’s more to discuss of course, so read on to get info on all the goods.

Don’t have PlayStation Plus? Go to the PlayStation Store on your PS3 or click here to get access.

November 6th PlayStation Plus Update

Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition

Free for Plus Members

This version of the original acclaimed Resident Evil 5 expands on the action-packed gameplay by including 2 extra episodes, one of which features Chris Redfield with series veteran Jill Valentine, along with extra costumes, content, and more. Of course it comes with the complete Resident Evil 5 story; playable solo, or via local or online co-op. If you haven’t tried one of the best Resident Evil titles this generation, now is your chance.

Portal 2

30% off for PlayStation Plus Members (Regular price: $19.99, PS Plus Price: $13.99)

One of 2011’s best titles and on multiple ‘Game of the Year’ lists, Portal 2 is coming to PSN and is coming in at a steal of a price for Plus members. Navigate ground breaking environment-based puzzles based on moving your character through a series of self-generated portals while experiencing the game’s outstanding story. This release also coincides with a patch for the game that enables PlayStation Move support as well!

Portal 2 In Motion

30% off for PlayStation Plus Members (Regular price: $9.99, PS Plus Price: $6.99)

So you wanted more Portal? PlayStation Move owners get the exclusive slice of cake with Portal 2 In Motion. The new addition to the series introduces new gameplay mechanics; including scaling and rotation of objects as well as portal surfing. These new abilities are all required as the player progresses through an increasingly challenging set of test chambers, but require new thinking to solve.

When Vikings Attack (Cross-Buy on PS Vita and PS3)

Another PlayStation Network exclusive; this dynamic adventure features fast-paced battles pitting up to four co-operative players against the Viking hordes, and maniacally competitive “Versus” arenas where players can test their skills against friends. With online cross-platform play, and a certified Cross-Buy game where buying it on one device entitles you to downloading it on the other; Plus members will be getting the best deal on this one-of-a-kind PlayStation experience.
ABSOLUTE SUPERCARS (Only available in US)

20% off for PlayStation Plus Members (Regular price: $9.99, PS Plus Price: $7.99)

If you’re looking for an accessible racing game that still beats with the heart of some of the world’s audacious supercars, look no further. From Ferrari, to Pagani, to Aston Martin and McLaren, there’s a car for everyone and a series of stunning tracks to race them on.

It’s a jam-packed lineup this week, and there will be plenty more to come throughout the month. Before we go, let’s take a look back on some of the content we released in October and get your thoughts on what hit you the best.

What was your favorite PlayStation Plus content update from October?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Check back next week where we’ll have a puzzling new addition to the Plus family. Until then, I’ll see you in the comments!

PlayStation Plus Update 11-5-2012

Get PlayStation Plus

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 11

+ CrusaderForever on November 5th, 2012 at 9:34 am said:

Nice work Sony!!! Now we are talking! This is a good sign that the following will be coming to NA PS+ Users for free later on!!
Dead Space 2
Motorstorm Apocalypse
Red Dead Redmeption
I already own Resident Evil 5 but this is great for anyone that doesn’t. I really enjoyed the game.

PS+ is fantastic and I cannot wait to see what you have in store for us with the Vita this week!!

+ Vahellis on November 5th, 2012 at 9:34 am said:

Racist game? Why? Because you dont kill a bunch of white people? Let me guess, you also happen to be black right? Oh my, I surely going to enjoy this game a lot. Cant wait to kill all those black people and be racist -.-

+ kiwizin on November 5th, 2012 at 9:34 am said:

Please make Dead Space 2 or Deus EX for free…..
Actually I want the half price DLCs…..
Make it happen Morgan

+ itohbr on November 5th, 2012 at 9:34 am said:

That’s a great game but, by now, almost everyone already played it. Too bad I’m one of them…

+ Dubloon7 on November 5th, 2012 at 9:34 am said:

PS+ for Vita?????????

When are we going to see an update? New perks for Vita users?

+ Junbo79 on November 5th, 2012 at 9:35 am said:

I never got around to playing RE5. Not sure why, but this is fantastic news (for me).

Also, will buy a Vita when Plus adds it. At the price, its the only way I can justify the purchase.

Oh, and thanks for not dropping the prices of either system for the holidays.

+ Untouchable_God on November 5th, 2012 at 9:36 am said:

WOW PS+ is a joke nothing for hardcore gamers. every ps+ freebie thats been givin out in the past few months i have digital already. Borderlands, Payday, Nfl Blitz & now RE5 Gold.. it seems like PS+ is for the cheap gamers that don’t buy games on a regular basis. I feel dumb buying a year of this crap when i get NOTHING in return.

+ Gcity1989 on November 5th, 2012 at 9:37 am said:

When will there ever be NBA/NFL teams logo avatars

+ mainkster on November 5th, 2012 at 9:38 am said:

NOOOOOOOO i got it already and you defended to death that is what not comming to plus , now its here

why would you just admit it ?

+ dotKay on November 5th, 2012 at 9:38 am said:

I got my Vita last week and I’m saving all the money I have currently have in my wallet until the PS+ for Vita news arrive… I don’t want to wait until the end of the month to buy my first Vita game :(

+ x1Raziel on November 5th, 2012 at 9:39 am said:

about time they gave us a good game. honestly they should of gave us this last month along with some psn horror games like siren. anyways like i said before i bet november through January they will give us good stuff and then it will be back to junk for like 6 months lol

+ Vahellis on November 5th, 2012 at 9:39 am said:

When are we going to get psone games again? Im really disappointed, not only because of the crap updates from the past month but because we dont get psone games anymore.

Otherwise, nice update. Im really praying we get the same content as europe now. Its like buying a hamburger at a mcdonalds and then seeing people eating a bigger version of your hamburger on the other side of the street, its just not fair.

+ HaMmOdY on November 5th, 2012 at 9:39 am said:

It’s a fact now that PS Plus freebies are for the new PS3 adopters.

+ CZ4200 on November 5th, 2012 at 9:40 am said:

how long will the portal 2 dlc be discounted?

+ StealthReborn-- on November 5th, 2012 at 9:40 am said:

Hi Morgan,

I was just wondering if the team has considered adding an additional PS+ subscription plan. We have the 3 month and the 12 month. To add more options, perhaps you should add a 6 month option? It’ll give people more options to choose from on what they can/can’t afford at the moment. I know sometimes my friends would rather have a 6 month plan because they just can’t fork over the entire $50 at the time. It’s just about options. =)

3 month subscription for $17,99
6 month subscription for $29,99?
12 month subscription for $49,99

I think it would fit nicely! =)

+ Veitsknight2 on November 5th, 2012 at 9:40 am said:

Was really hoping for a Free game on PS Vita. Still an awesome month though. I have always wanted to have the GE of RE5 for the longest time but never justified a purchase because i had RE5 SE and a few of it’s DLCs. THANK YOU SONY!

+ snakeeyes211 on November 5th, 2012 at 9:40 am said:

I’ve already come to the conclusion that I am going to be disappointed every week with PlayStation plus when it comes to their free offerings but I still love getting discounts on things I actually want so thanks

+ lobotomies4free on November 5th, 2012 at 9:41 am said:

Nice instant game. Nice discounts

+ BrianMcGuinness on November 5th, 2012 at 9:42 am said:

“I’m not voting in that poll unless I get a trophy.”

+ x1Raziel on November 5th, 2012 at 9:43 am said:

@75 i was thinking the same thing.maybe thats why so many people are always happy when they give them junk for so many months they are just happy to get a free game since they cant afford to buy any lol that or they are just fan boys.

+ Heavenly_king on November 5th, 2012 at 9:43 am said:

For me Plus is really worth it just because of the 1gb of cloud storage, because I can backup my saves, and copy “copy-protected” saves XD.

+ NewerDCD on November 5th, 2012 at 9:44 am said:

A bunch of people were clamoring for RE5 last week. Well there ya go, can you stop complaining about the lineup now? Who am I kidding, of course you won’t. Even IF the lineup has been quite great so far.

Well, time to play the DLC scenarios I didn’t get in my PC version of RE5. Cheers.

+ b00kthree on November 5th, 2012 at 9:44 am said:

Wow. I just went to take the survey and realized I didn’t really make use of ANYTHING from plus in October. Don’t care for “M” ratings or sports or fighters… Don’t care about early access — just want a good deal on good (non-violent, family-friendly) games. I like how the survey is helping me assess the value of plus.

This month, I plan to make use of the Portal 2 DLC discount, but that’s about it. I must say, I’ve been using Plus less than usual lately. Maybe I won’t miss it if I let it lapse. I have taken advantage of a couple sales, but none of them were Plus. Last month wasn’t much better for me. I need at least $3-5 average value out of plus for it to be worth it to me.

If “When Vikings Attack” had been the freebie this month and RE5 the discount, it would have been better for me. I won’t play RE5 even for free, though, and probably won’t risk $7 on the Vikings.

+ navcomm81 on November 5th, 2012 at 9:45 am said:

Decent update for those who do not own or have not played RE5 yet. Fun game, DLC was all right. Don’t have it on PS3, but I’ve played it enough on Xbox to not really care about playing it again.

+ God-Of-Lyf on November 5th, 2012 at 9:45 am said:

Portal 2 + In Motion shall be mine. (If I’m able to locate them on the new store that is…)

+ ziggurcat on November 5th, 2012 at 9:46 am said:

well, valve… you’ve done it. you finally pushed me into getting the move controller.

+ snakeeyes211 on November 5th, 2012 at 9:46 am said:

I totally agree with your statement!

+ DrSmoov on November 5th, 2012 at 9:46 am said:

@ 70 – I don’t find it racist just because you are killing black people. I find the depiction of Africans as backwards and tribal to be racist, that is not how most Africans are. I also find the “white” zombies – have African ethic features strikes me as black face in reverse. The games depiction of Africa is racist – for a better representation of Africa look at Far Cry 2.

+ ziggurcat on November 5th, 2012 at 9:47 am said:

oh, and do you need to have the portal 2 disc in order to run in motion?

+ CZOOM01 on November 5th, 2012 at 9:49 am said:

Awesome Update Morgan

See this is what you needed to do.

A great update, Good Job Sony.

Not only am I going to download and play RE5: GE. You also got a sell out of me for Portal 2. Because I cant find Portal 2 anywhere online for $13, so you got your selves a sell Sony.

See great free game and Great game with great discount = WIN!!!

If every update was like this I would be broke at the end of the month but happy. Keep up the good work, hope to see more free good PS3 and good PSN games.

+ x1Raziel on November 5th, 2012 at 9:50 am said:

oh yeah almost forgot to say Morgan i would like to see some RPG games added i mean dam we never get any it is ridiculous lol.

+ HaMmOdY on November 5th, 2012 at 9:51 am said:

So this is the direction they were talking about… OK, now I have a feeling that the Vita offerings are going to be for games I already have!

+ Astro411 on November 5th, 2012 at 9:51 am said:

I’ve had RE5GE for a couple of years and never got around to playing it ;P ,not complaining about getting it for free, just wondering if i had the game purchased on one account and got it free with plus on a different account would i still be able to play on my plus account even after my subscription ends?

The discounts look good but i’m afraid AC3 & L are taking all my gaming time to even consider getting or playing another game.

+ neuropunk on November 5th, 2012 at 9:55 am said:

Oh, I’m so sick of getting crappy generic action shootie games for PS+. I hate these generic pewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewers.

@48 – RE5 has more hispanic and people of other races than black people, IN AFRICA! So, what the hell are you complaining for? RE5 doesn’t make any sense.

+ waylander90232 on November 5th, 2012 at 9:55 am said:

Why do people keep on about the Vita? I thought it failed dismally right? And Plus is getting worse and worse IMO, not suited for guy’s like me anymore…Great service though once, had some good times waaaaaaay back in the day.

+ magicx11 on November 5th, 2012 at 9:56 am said:

Nice drop!!!
RE5 Gold Edition for plus member and When Vikings Attack for $6.99.

+ DazeOfWar on November 5th, 2012 at 9:57 am said:

Another crappy plus update for me. Almost 2 months now and I’ve had all the games. I really hope this month turns out better. You guys really need to blow plus for vita out of the water.

+ Hugo_Mundo on November 5th, 2012 at 9:58 am said:

Good update for PS3 but what about Vita?

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on November 5th, 2012 at 10:28 am said:

More Plus on Vita info will be coming soon.

+ Squiggle55 on November 5th, 2012 at 9:58 am said:

Thanks for the update! Fantastic. This is a free game that I will definitely enjoy. PS+ keeps deliviring. Thank you. I will also very likely buy When Viking’s Attack now with this discount.

I voted for the Halloween sales. That’s actually what I got the most out of last month. NFL blitz was surprisingly fun, and I love the $1 Sega games — but the huge discounts on a long list of games all at the same time was really great for me.

+ xGrandpaGamer on November 5th, 2012 at 10:00 am said:

when i get my 20 dollars reward i will definetely get portal 2, just one question why do you have an official xbox the magazine review this is a playstation blog. Besides that great update guy’s keep it up.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on November 5th, 2012 at 10:29 am said:

I’d hate to let a quick text of another magazine’s review prevent us from using a perfectly good trailer. There’s no logos, and it’s about a second’s worth of time. You guys know what system to get it on anyway, right? ;)

+ boomstickbhg on November 5th, 2012 at 10:01 am said:

Oh goodie, yet another IGC game that I’ve owned for a long long time (bought when on sale as a plus member).

Other than the very first IGC update, there’s mostly been old games I’ve owned for a long time. No where near as good as the FullPS3 selection that EU has been getting.

So yet another horror and shooter game. Yet another old game. Ever thought of getting some variety/diversity for the game types or will we just keep getting shooters, horror, sidescroller crud?

First the store update makes browsing/looking around for fun next to impossible (not to mention all the missing content, errors, etc…) and now yet another bad Plus update.

Every week the PS3 is more like the Xbox, this is just sad.

+ HaMmOdY on November 5th, 2012 at 10:04 am said:

@109 Xbox is a great system. It has a lot of good games plus the better online experience. I don’t know how PS3 is turning into one!

+ boomstickbhg on November 5th, 2012 at 10:04 am said:

Oh the Poll definately needs an Other/None of the Above catergory.

The only Plus thing in october that I liked even a little was the One Piece discount.

+ ABRipperXX on November 5th, 2012 at 10:05 am said:

Why is Absolute Supercars only in the US? Why not Canada? When will PS + for Vita be shown off?

+ Lasdrub on November 5th, 2012 at 10:05 am said:

One Piece wasn’t in the poll! I liked that second most after the Halloween discounts for Plus.

+ boomstickbhg on November 5th, 2012 at 10:08 am said:

@110 I hate the xbox (I have one, plenty of games I like) ever since they changed the dashboard/marketplace and now navigating is a nightmare, just like the new PS store (the store also looks like they cut/paste from the xbox code)

Between that and plus becoming a terrible paid service (xbox you have to pay just to play online, so the comparison there is both consoles have bad paid online services), PS3 is heading (for me) in a bad direction towards the xbox qualities I don’t like.

+ mainkster on November 5th, 2012 at 10:08 am said:

i voted the 1 $ games they were better than the 3 other free ones ,
i played kof13 about 5 times .. quit was boring
played nfl blitz 2 times .. quit was boring
played payday 2 times , plan on going back for the trophies but don’t feel like it

+ DerpiestShazbot on November 5th, 2012 at 10:08 am said:

Does anyone know if Mercenaries mode is unlocked from the start for Gold Edition? I have already beaten the game like 3 times on my Xbox 360 and I don’t feel like beating it again on the PS3. I’d like to just be able to hop right into Mercenaries mode and enjoy the DLC.

+ gemuvan on November 5th, 2012 at 10:10 am said:

Crap, Resident Evil 5 T___T….

+ detictiveconan on November 5th, 2012 at 10:11 am said:

Nothing for me this week. :-/

Bring on PS+ for Vita! :D