Minecraft PS4

Portal 2 In Motion DLC Launches Today on PSN

Danny Woodall's Avatar + Posted by Danny Woodall on Nov 06, 2012 // Creative Director, Sixense Studios

With the Portal 2 In Motion DLC releasing today, we’d like to share a little more about its content and development. The DLC now available on PSN is a campaign designed by our team at Sixense to take full advantage of the capabilities of the PlayStation Move controller. We started with all of the great features that already exist in Portal 2. Then we envisioned Portal 2 In Motion as a new game experience (including a new campaign) built for motion control – not just the addition of motion controls on top of existing gameplay that was designed for a traditional PS3 controller. So the result is a new gaming experience that requires new thinking and use of the PlayStation Move motion controller. We’ve included a video here that demonstrates the new features you’ll get when you buy the DLC. I’ll discuss these features a little more. I’ll also discuss at the end of this post the Move support for Portal 2 that we have implemented in the PSN downloadable version of the game and the patch for the Blu-Ray version, all of which is available today.

Sixense designed three new motion mechanics for Portal 2 In Motion and tuned them to feel like a natural extension of your body. The “One-to-One” mechanic allows the player to manipulate objects as if they were held in the player’s own hand. This means that when using One-to-One you can change the object’s position and orientation by moving and rotating the Move controller. This opened the door to a lot of new possibilities for our team in terms of puzzle design, which you’ll see in Portal 2 In Motion. It is very satisfying to reach out with the controller and redirect lasers with the Discouragement Redirection Cube to light up some poor Sentry Turrets.

Portal 2 In Motion for PS3Portal 2 In Motion for PS3

The “Portal Surfing” mechanic is the ability to move and rotate a portal along a “portalable” surface. Portal Surfing allows you to change an object’s trajectory as it passes through a portal by rotating the portal. Spraying gel with a Move controller is quite a different experience than when using your typical input device.

The “Scaling” mechanic went through a number of iterations in development until we found a balance between required motion complexity and functionality. Scaling is performed by reaching out with the Move controller while holding a cube in the game, pressing the scaling button and moving the controller horizontally to increase or decrease the size of the cube. To scale along a different axis, the user rotates the cube prior to scaling. The mass of the object also scales with its size, allowing for plenty of satisfaction as you use giant objects to crush turrets or punch through glass.

Portal 2 In Motion for PS3

Finally, for the basic aiming of the cursor in the game, we implemented the highly intuitive view mode that we call “Freeaim”. Freeaim uses the Move controller’s orientation to determine cursor position. The controller’s absolute position does not affect the rotation of the view, so the user can adjust the camera view using only small wrist movements. The result is a camera system that is much more fluid than using the analog stick on the traditional PS3 controller. We have a great demonstration of this in the video. With Freeaim, aiming and firing portals also becomes extremely natural and intuitive and the overall experience becomes much more immersive.

The features that I’ve described to this point are all included with the Portal 2 In Motion DLC. Because the patch and the downloadable Portal 2 are both releasing today, I want to make clear what is included in those products with regard to the work Sixense has done. Both the digital download Portal 2 and the patch include PlayStation Move support, meaning that the full single-player and co-operative Portal 2 campaigns can be played with Move, and users will be able to take advantage of the Freeaim mechanic to play (or replay) the game. You can even play split screen with both players using Move motion controllers. Only the Portal 2 In Motion DLC, however, includes the advanced mechanics of One-to-One, Portal Surfing and Scaling, as well as the new campaign consisting of test chambers that require the use of the new mechanics. The patch and Portal 2 on PSN do contain a short tutorial designed familiarize the user with the Move motion controller and the Freeaim feature. At the end of the tutorial, we provide a taste of the One-to-One feature that is otherwise exclusive to the Portal 2 In Motion DLC.

Check out the video, and experience Portal 2 In Motion today!

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on November 6th, 2012 at 10:24 am said:

is the dlc “in motion” can be played with the dualshock 3 controller?
or do i absolutly need the ps move to play it?

Danny Woodall's Avatar

+ Danny Woodall on November 6th, 2012 at 11:19 am said:

You absolutely need the Playstation Move system in order to play the Portal 2 In Motion campaign. The dditional Portal 2 In Motion test chamber solutions require 6 degrees of freedom input from the player.

+ ASC2175 on November 6th, 2012 at 10:24 am said:

Having played these levels on PC, all I can say is they’re pretty coolsauciness

+ Genexi2 on November 6th, 2012 at 10:26 am said:

A shame this had to come out so late. A bit surprised it isn’t being offered as a stand-alone.

Looking forward to it tonight, gives me an excuse to charge my Move up and use it. Any tie-ins to the main campaign characters/story by the way?

+ Ryumoau on November 6th, 2012 at 10:26 am said:

Didn’t really like the first one on Orange Box, so i’ll probably pass on this.

+ DwightSchrute12 on November 6th, 2012 at 10:27 am said:

Definitely interested in this; will there be new trophies with it?

+ zombie9 on November 6th, 2012 at 10:31 am said:

Not a Gabe Newell Fan I boycott his games. Becouse we all know how much he loves Playstation.

+ electronicpart on November 6th, 2012 at 10:33 am said:

I can not wait. thanks for the update keep it up

+ MakoSOLIDER on November 6th, 2012 at 10:42 am said:

So…no trophies right? Still gonna buy it but that wudve been a bigger selling point for a lot of people.

+ Satnamji on November 6th, 2012 at 10:44 am said:

Is Portal in Motion a single player or co-op campaign, or both? (if co-op, is it online, offline, or both?)

Danny Woodall's Avatar

+ Danny Woodall on November 6th, 2012 at 11:35 am said:

This Portal 2 In Motion DLC is a single player campaign. However, we have implemented PlayStation Move support for Valve’s single player and cooperative campaigns (with the Freeaim feature described in the post, including both online and split-screen co-op).

+ The_Dukenator on November 6th, 2012 at 10:47 am said:

@1 PS Move only.

@4 Portal 2 is a lot better.

@6 Doubt Gabe has anything to do with Portal.

@8 Not sure.

+ DJR2399 on November 6th, 2012 at 10:52 am said:

Oh my flip, is it out yet?! Ive been searching for it, but I cant find it D:

+ mgrantz on November 6th, 2012 at 11:11 am said:

I assume no trophies b/c that question has been asked multiple times in prior blog entries without being answered. Shame as I’d re-buy Portal 2 (I sold my copy long ago) plus get the DLC if it had new trophies…

+ xKazeek on November 6th, 2012 at 11:30 am said:

Can we download it now?

+ Ryumoau on November 6th, 2012 at 11:36 am said:

@6 i thought he apologized for his remarks on ps3.

+ TheTwelve on November 6th, 2012 at 11:38 am said:

BOUGHT!!!! —12

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on November 6th, 2012 at 11:40 am said:

thank you very much for your answer. now i need a 2nd move controller, to play with my son’s! :)
btw i love my kids soooo much! <3 SAMUEL-SKY & GABRIEL-ODIN <3 best playstation gamers prodigies!!
XD

+ The_Dukenator on November 6th, 2012 at 11:47 am said:

@12 The disc might be cheap now. As for new trophies, I see none. Peer Review DLC is free.

+ Kchow23 on November 6th, 2012 at 11:51 am said:

Does the DLC come with trophies?

+ Kchow23 on November 6th, 2012 at 11:52 am said:

Also wasn’t this the same content that was released last year for that Razer motion controller?

+ Bubaroo on November 6th, 2012 at 11:52 am said:

Too bad you have to have the move. I had every intention of buying it until I saw that. Looks like Portal 2 will get traded in after all.

+ GhostMachine1 on November 6th, 2012 at 11:55 am said:

We still have to pay for the DLC regardless of bluray or download right? I don’t want to unnecessarily buy it if I could get it for free. Thanks so much for making this.

+ BoxOfSnoo on November 6th, 2012 at 12:05 pm said:

“Both the digital download Portal 2 and the patch include PlayStation Move support,” how about the disc? I just bought this in anticipation of the DLC.

Danny Woodall's Avatar

+ Danny Woodall on November 6th, 2012 at 12:15 pm said:

The patch will be applied to the Blueray version enabling Move support.

+ Shiaoran on November 6th, 2012 at 1:00 pm said:

“The dditional Portal 2 In Motion test chamber solutions require 6 degrees of freedom input from the player.”

Isn’t that why we have the SIXAXIS?
How come new levels for an old game can’t be played normally?

Don’t take me wrong, I have Move, I just hate to use it because it’s detection is so poor and I have to be so far from the monitor.

+ SixelAlexiS on November 6th, 2012 at 1:04 pm said:

when the patch and DLC will come out in europe?

@23:”poor detection” ??? try to point better the EyeToy….

+ Blkant on November 6th, 2012 at 1:11 pm said:

Any steam support with the DLC then?

+ Guinnesses516 on November 6th, 2012 at 2:16 pm said:

Did not realize that this was PS Move only DLC until a few minutes ago. Very disappointing.

+ madribar on November 6th, 2012 at 2:39 pm said:

Late Update today???

+ articpheonix on November 6th, 2012 at 2:55 pm said:

Hello! This add on DLC and patch is great news! My friend got me interested in Portal 2 but he plays on Steam. If I buy this download version will I be able to play co-op with him while he’s on Steam like the disc version supported?

+ Mr_JoseyWales on November 6th, 2012 at 3:02 pm said:

Can’t wait to play Toejam and Earl!

+ MRGamer01 on November 6th, 2012 at 3:27 pm said:

Slow update on this patch? I put my disc in and started the game, but nothing came up. Can’t even find anything Portal related in the DLC section (of course this could also be to the new horrid design of the store).

+ rjejr on November 6th, 2012 at 4:04 pm said:

Are the people who run the PSN store updates the same people who run LIPA?

Blame Sandy I guess?

+ carlos7117 on November 6th, 2012 at 4:09 pm said:

Has the store updated yet?

+ DrkrZen on November 6th, 2012 at 4:31 pm said:

I’m just glad the original DLC didn’t require Move, since it was free… and great. I don’t own Move and the fact that this costs $10 bucks put me off entirely. I’m sure its as great as Peer Review, but I’ll bite when it goes on sale, I own Move and a friend wants to play… i.e. not anytime soon.

+ AG_Awesome on November 6th, 2012 at 4:34 pm said:

Great, right after I got rid of my MOVE due to lack of support and poor implementation…

+ AceMcgee420 on November 6th, 2012 at 4:36 pm said:

What is taking the update so long???THis is crazy………

+ Mr_JoseyWales on November 6th, 2012 at 4:36 pm said:

@32 I don’t think so. Late update today.

Danny Woodall's Avatar

+ Danny Woodall on November 6th, 2012 at 6:20 pm said:

The patch is now live, which will give you an in-game menu to link to the store to get Portal 2 In Motion, which is also live. The patch should automatically download and install when you start Portal 2.

+ plaztiksyke on November 6th, 2012 at 4:43 pm said:

Please, please tell me that there will be a PSN version of the original Portal that adds this functionality :)

+ Hooligantuan on November 7th, 2012 at 10:03 am said:

I’m dismayed that this content requires the Move controller, but more so that mouse support was never integrated into Portal 2 for the PS3.

I was equally unimpressed by Little Big Planet 2’s only DLC expansion being an experience essentially exclusive to Move owners.

I am glad to see the Move supported, even though I do not own one, but I am really unimpressed with Move content that excludes controller-based players, and especially on game titles released initially, or primarily, for controller-based play.

+ DarthDanMan on November 7th, 2012 at 11:31 am said:

@38
What are you talking about? Little Big Planet 2 had both the Muppet’s Pack (With Trophies) & The Toy Story Level Pack along with the Move Pack…

+ gamepro300 on November 7th, 2012 at 12:06 pm said:

I don’t understand why people are angry that stuff like this is PS Move only. If they made it available for the regular controller, then the Move would be even more useless than it already it. The PS Move NEEDS more exclusive content like this to survive.

@38
You must not play LBP2 much, as they have released TONS of DLC and level packs that have nothing to do with PS Move, with the addition of being able to play all content previously released on the original LBP. If you really want to play the Move DLC then buy a MOVE. I mean, that is what they were trying to do in the first place, get people to buy them and support the people that already have one (like myself).

+ b00kthree on November 7th, 2012 at 1:47 pm said:

I tried the demo included in the patch. The gameplay was smooth. I miss GLaDOS though. It may be time to play through portal 2 again. Still thinking about the DLC. Did I mention I miss GLaDOS?

+ glassmusic on November 7th, 2012 at 7:47 pm said:

Woke up, saw Portal 2 downloading. Thought “What the heck is this crap?” (though a slightly less G rated version) and deleted it before it could finish. I then almost immediately remembered this DLC and the patch that would have been automatically downloaded due to my Plus membership. Oops! Haha

+ glassmusic on November 7th, 2012 at 7:48 pm said:

Question: I’m definitely going to buy this, but wondered if it was best to play while holding the Move controller as-is, or if the combat rifle accessory would be better suited?

Danny Woodall's Avatar

+ Josh Bays on November 9th, 2012 at 10:57 am said:

“We designed Portal 2 In Motion for use without any of the additional Move attachments (such as the sharpshooter.)

+ TheJuggla17 on November 8th, 2012 at 7:03 am said:

Portal 2 plus Move support = Awesome

Seriously Valve did something awesome with Move that in my opinion no one else has even come close to doing.

+ cedricelid on November 8th, 2012 at 9:29 am said:

Hi, I’ve been trying to buy this, so I bought a $50 psn card code, when I imput the code, I get a message saying “this will add U$ 50 to your account”. I choose “yes” and all I get is “funds could not be added to your wallet”