Final Fantasy XV

Nov 11

Nov 11

The PlayStation Recap – Changing Hands Edition

Sid Shuman's Avatar Posted by Director, SIEA Social Media

What a week, huh? As if Tuesday’s US presidential election wasn’t enough excitement for you, Friday we learned that our friend and comrade Jeff Rubenstein is moving on to a new adventure outside the walls of PlayStation. If the news made your heart skip a beat, I don’t blame you — Jeff’s leadership, passion, and dedication to gamers is the stuff of legend, both inside the games industry and out. On a personal level, I will miss the guy terribly every time I sit down to record a new episode of PlayStation Blogcast or eat a bowl of steaming stewed pork from Santa Ramen (best in the South Bay!). We’re hugely proud of Jeff and we wish him the absolute best as he embarks on his new journey.

But life will go on, as it always does. In the midst of any significant transition, it’s natural to feel a little anxiety, a little trepidation. If you’re like me, you’re probably chewing on some questions, starting with that big scary one: how is PlayStation.Blog going to change? The answer to that question is simple: it won’t. Over the past five years, Jeff’s leadership helped forge a stronger, better-informed community of passionate PlayStation gamers through the insider information published on PlayStation.Blog, and that good work will continue here as strong or stronger than ever. Sure, we might make a few minor nips and tucks in the name of better user experience — we’re considering combining the weekend Recap and What We Read posts into one more comprehensive post, for instance. What do you think?

But when it comes to the PlayStation.Blog content you know and (hopefully!) love, it will be business as usual. We will continue to debut exclusive developer diaries written by today’s most talented game designers, whether it’s the brilliant minds behind God of War: Ascension or the indie auteurs behind PSN innovators such as Sportsfriends. We’ll continue to debut new game announcements, new gameplay trailers, new interviews, and new podcasts with some of the biggest names in videogames. And most important of all, we’ll continue to listen and pass on your feedback, whether it’s from the comments sections on Blog posts like this, the massive user feedback database that is PlayStation.Blog Share, Twitter, Facebook, Google Plus, Instagram, you name it.

I am so excited for what’s to come. If you have any questions for me, please leave them in the comments and I will provide an answer before the end of the weekend.

Most-Watched Video of the Week: PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Attract Trailer

The 10 Most-Viewed Posts of the Week

• PlayStation All-Stars Goes Gold, Opening Cinematic and Final Boss Unveiled
  • Tales of Voice Recording: A Tales of Xillia Update
  • More Than Mortal: Behind the Scenes of Injustice: Gods Among Us
  • Ragnarok Tactics Out Today on PSP, Playable on PS Vita
  • So, Today is My Last Day at PlayStation
  • Midway Arcade Origins: Play 31 Arcade Classics Today on PS3
  • Portal 2 In Motion DLC Launches Today on PSN
  • October 2012 PSN Top Sellers: Retro City Rampage Dominates PS Vita Charts
  • PlayStation Home Update: New Game from the Creator of Dyad
  • Align With the God of War in Ascension’s Multiplayer
  • Add Your Own

HaMmOdY said:

November 11th, 10:56 am

Good job making this blog the best it can get. I have one question though, what happened to Eric Lampel?

November 11th, 4:16 pm

Glad you’re digging it, and please don’t be shy if you’ve got some pointers for us. Eric Lempel is still around, working on Sony Entertainment Network team. You’ll hear from him again!

Butters360 said:

November 11th, 11:01 am

Thanks Sid! I like the idea of The Recap merged with the What We Read posts. Combined with what you’ve already done with the PlayStation Store/Plus/Blogcast it feels like I could miss an ENTIRE week of news and all I would have to do is click the PlayStation Recap and boom; I just got learned. Please consider going through with it.

I’m Playing: God of War II, God of War III, Assassin’s Creed III, and Dishonored.

I’m Watching: Nikita season 3 and Skyfall.

I’m Reading: Grand Theft Auto V news.

I’m Listening to: Official PlayStation Blogcast Episode 050: Sportsfriends Forever.

November 11th, 4:17 pm

Glad to hear it :) Thanks!

MakoSOLIDER said:

November 11th, 11:03 am

@Sid
    What I should be playing: “Journey”

Courtesy of Jeff

November 11th, 4:17 pm

Everyone agrees universally that this should be my first order of business as Blog Maven (TM)

Elvick_ said:

November 11th, 11:11 am

I am for merging What We Read with the recaps.

November 11th, 4:17 pm

Thanks for that!

DarkOne_PR said:

November 11th, 11:12 am

@sid.

Hey sid, when someone asked jeff about applying for his job he screamed “DO IT” and it was funny but at the same time it left me thinking about it…. Since i live in Puerto Rico Its impossible for me to apply but i just want to ask… why wont sony do a PS Blog P.R.? We cant never participate in any promotion or contest here and well…. having a PRBlog where we can all participate it would be cool… plus u will be creating jobs and must of all get more attention of Sony products here on the island since we can go to radio stations and even create a tv/internet program about this! (I know im dreaming but o well) anyways… just let me know what u think.. if u like he idea well… pls talk to the big guys there :)

November 11th, 4:19 pm

I think it’s a great idea and an important one to consider, though logistically challenging. As we’ve been gradually building up the international Blog network, starting with Europe, moving through Latin America and Brazil, and most recently including parts of Southeast Asia, we’re going to start running out of major regions and have to begin narrowing our scope. So thanks for the reminder here! Much like Canada, I know it’s tough to get region-specific info for Puerto Rico.

MakoSOLIDER said:

November 11th, 11:33 am

@Sid @5

Heck, I checked that out to and it looks like most of the job opportunities are in Western America. There’s practically nothing for us in Eastern America. Theres a general lack of opportunity here. Its no wonder people like Colin move to all the way to IGN in the west. The east is empty. Lack of game companies, lack of schools for gaming dev, lack of big events (comic con NY is still inferior to the LA one).

November 11th, 4:22 pm

It’s interesting. The American East is densely packed population-wise, and is a dominant player for a ton of industries — news, a lot of manufacturing, telecoms to some extent. But yes, tech and entertainment seem to still be largely based in CA. I do think this will slowly change, but it’s why you see a ton of folks who want to break in to gaming moving to CA.

krae_man said:

November 11th, 11:46 am

Okay I just tried the new store for the first time.

Who tested this crap? Why does it take like two minutes to boot up? Why am I relegated to a 1″ tall rectangle at the bottom of my TV to scroll through plus content while the playstation plus logo gets 95% of the screen real estate?

I know I’m embellishing but seriously. The store should boot up instantly, not take forever to load. And why am I still unable to access the XMB while in the store?

And why is the item grid only two squares tall at the bottom of the screen? I should be able to see more 6 items on screen at a time instead of a giant logo taking up half my screen.

How does this stuff not get pointed out in testing?

November 11th, 4:23 pm

Thanks for the feedback and I know that the Store team is listening. I’ve noticed that the Store performance perks up following the initial load, but we’re going to be passing along user feedback regularly – I encourage you to leave it.

MakoSOLIDER said:

November 11th, 12:04 pm

I’m playing: Assassin’s Creed III, Assassin’s Creed III: Liberation, The Unfinished Swan
    I’m watching: Skyfall SONY product placement, PSASBR awesome intro vid
    I’m reading: text in video games:)
    I’m listening to: PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Final Boss Music

DarkOne_PR said:

November 11th, 12:10 pm

Im playing: Dark Souls Artorias of the abyss DLC. (Awesome but the lack of trophies still haunts me, i got plat and i waned more trophies :()
    Im watching: South Park
    Im reading: Naruto Manga
    Im listening: In Flames, Rise Against, Killswitch Engage and Trivium

PsychoSploosh69 said:

November 11th, 1:38 pm

I’m playing: Saints Row 2, Journey (Love it!), Motorstorm: 3D Rift, Motorstorm RC and Resident Evil 5.
    I’m watching: American Chopper, Sopranos, Walking Dead
    I’m reading: PS Blog
    I’m listening to: Glass Tiger – The Thin Red Line (25th Anniversary Remaster)

Seeing_Red_Again said:

November 11th, 2:00 pm

Sid, could you help me out here? The Gran Turismo 5 DLC packs “Twin Ring Motegi Pack (2 tracks, 3 layouts)” and “Speed Test Course Pack” are not available on the PlayStation Store, it seems to be a glitch because of the store redesign. Can you please let the team know that the DLC is missing?

November 11th, 4:23 pm

Interesting – thanks for the tip, and I’ll pass this on. Could take a week or more to address, but I’ll get the gears turning.

Bcrazyman said:

November 11th, 2:11 pm

hey SID! greetings hoe you doing! i guess your my new friend now that JEFF! has gone and to better things!
    i hope you can give us the inside tip about this weeks games! for ps+?
    need to know thanks!

November 11th, 4:23 pm

You’ll know starting Monday :-)

mcbuttz78 said:

November 11th, 2:16 pm

i have question,, its alway been a 4 man/person blog staff who’s the 4th.. I know ist grace. yourself. ray.. but who the fourth person

Mcbuttz78
    vp psn legioniaree group

November 11th, 4:24 pm

It started with Jeff, Chris Morell joined for a couple of years, then I joined, then Rey joined and now Justin. At the moment, it’s myself, Justin, and Rey helping out with videos.

kevster150 said:

November 11th, 2:17 pm

Playing: ac3 liberation
    watching: notthing on this site since flash is required and the vita does not support it. Kinda stupid to have flash videos that can not be played on your own hardware.
    Listening:Volbeat
    Reading: Playstation Blog.

Carl-G said:

November 11th, 2:27 pm

I don’t live in the US so don’t read the News so is Jeff Rubenstein going to be the new President of the United States then??? Is that why he is leaving??? :D
    + Playing ‘LBP:Karting’ & it is BRILLIANT!!! :P

November 11th, 4:25 pm

I heard that Obama wanted him for Secretary of Gaming Excellence – guess we’ll have to wait for the full announcement to learn the truth

onslaughtree said:

November 11th, 2:27 pm

Im playing NFS:MW Vita, LBP Vita, SFxTekken, Flowers….

Augur4 said:

November 11th, 2:33 pm

I’m Playing: Tactics Ogre, When Vikings Attack !, Final Fantasy XIII
    I’m Watching: San Francisco 49ers
    I’m Reading: Reviews for Ragnarok Tactics and Playstation Blog

November 11th, 4:27 pm

Thanks for sharing! Did you hear me choke up at the end of the episode? :)

seraph979 said:

November 11th, 3:28 pm

hey Sid, looking forward to you at the helm.

my question is when the Vita Plus features will be announced

November 11th, 4:26 pm

Thanks for the kind words. For Plus on PS Vita, you should know more very, very soon if all goes according to plan. Think first half of the week soon.

mcbuttz78 said:

November 11th, 5:06 pm

thanks rey.. So justins the rooks nows. lol…

mcbuttz78
    vp psn legioniaree group

Seeing_Red_Again said:

November 11th, 7:45 pm

Thanks a bunch, Sid. I’ll try and be patient for the DLC to be re-added but good thing Gran Turismo 5 has a ton of content to hold me over haha

randy3732 said:

November 11th, 9:03 pm

I’m playing: Assassins creed 3 AC3L and little big plannet ps vita
    I’m reading: CODBO2 Call of duty disclassified and GTA5 news
    Listening to: blog cast episode 50

DZORMAGEN said:

November 11th, 10:33 pm

Hey Sid,

It’s really Jeff is not with Sony, and the blog anymore. I hope and your team are as passionate as he was. I hope we get opportunities to go to E3, and plan events like Jeff did. I hope you guys listen like he did, and make changes when needed. I faith it will happen, since Jeff did say he left us in good hands.

1 question though….who is taking over Jeff’s position?

quasar338 said:

November 12th, 6:12 am

I’m hopeing the future is going tobe awsome . Because the past has been. Hi this is Rob from Gamerindepthclub ( host). All of you have made understanding and the amount of info so great. Keep up the good work and like you said life does go on. And yeah jeff willbe missed alot.

SLEEPLESS_KNIGHT said:

November 12th, 8:25 am

Honestly from a gamer who owns and plays pretty much every console and portable system I have to say the PS Blog is by far and away the best gaming-related blog site on the web. And I do visit most of them periodically.

I mean the PS3’s main competitor’s blog is not even on their official website, instead it’s done by a guy named “Major Nelson” and you have to basically know who that is if you want an official news feed.

Then there’s the “Mario Factory”, they’ve basically closed down any direct communication methods for their fans to be able to converse with them.

So thank you Jeff for making the PS Blog site the standard for the industry. I know it may sound kinda strange, but it’s this website that was a major factor in my transition from being more of an Xbox guy to a PlayStation guy. A ton of great exclusive games and PS+ don’t hurt either, but this site has been very instrumental in this generation of consoles.

SLEEPLESS_KNIGHT said:

November 12th, 8:28 am

Oh and I forgot to say good luck to you Sid, I’m pretty confident you’ll keep things “Farm Fresh” for us ;)

TwinDad said:

November 12th, 11:05 am

Sid,

I believe a fitting tribute to your friend Jeff would be to complete the game “Journey.” You owe it to your friend, and to your new minions on the Blog. How can anybody believe in their leader if he hasn’t finished a 2 hour game?

SpooNManX said:

November 12th, 3:12 pm

I hope Sony can continue to improve the PSN Store, because it needs a bit of work!

MailOrderNinja said:

November 12th, 6:26 pm

I’m Playing: Assassin’s Creed 3, Little Big Planet 2, Outland

I’m Watching: Wreck It Ralph, The Colony, Sword Art Online, Supernatural

I’m Reading: theparanoidgamer.com coverage

I’m Listening to: Christmas music. I know, it’s early.