Minecraft PS4

First PlayStation All-Stars DLC: Kat and Emmett Join the Battle Royale (For Free!)

Seth Killian's Avatar + Posted by Seth Killian on Nov 15, 2012 // Lead Game Designer, Sony Santa Monica Studio

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: Kat

What? Me again? Wasn’t I just here to let you know that PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale had gone gold?

Have you ever wondered what dev teams do after a game goes gold? If all is going well, often times they get down to business with DLC. And in fact that’s exactly what we have begun. I’m here today to announce the first DLC characters that will be joining the All-Stars roster: Kat from Gravity Rush, and Starhawk‘s Emmett Graves!

In addition to the signature weapons you’ll remember from his duels with the Outcasts on Dust, Emmett’s playstyle will also utilize Starhawk’s unique “Build and Battle” system, calling down help from the sky.

Kat’s approach turns gravity on its head with some mind-bending new ways to move as she positions herself for her unique brand of aerial assault. Together, they make up one of the most original duos in All-Stars.

These DLC All-Stars still have a long way to go before they’re ready to be shown off, but we wanted to let you know what the team will be working on now that we’ve gone gold with the main game, and that you can look forward to playing them… for free!

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: Emmett

Yes, you heard that right. We’re very happy to announce these first two DLC characters will be free to everyone for the first two weeks once they are available for download early next year.

That may sound a little tricky, so let me be clear: once Kat and Emmett are finished, we’ll put them up for download. They’ll be totally free for two weeks. The only limit is that you have a two-week window to claim the characters. Once you have Kat and Emmett, they are yours forever. That may sound like a lot to remember, so don’t worry, we’ll be back closer to their release to remind you of all these details.

Everyone at SuperBot, Bluepoint, and Santa Monica Studio has tried hard not only to make a great game, but also to keep the fans very firmly in mind, offering the most we can wherever we get the chance. So far we’ve offered exclusive free pre-order costumes, an amazing digital version for PS Vita at no cost when you buy the PS3 version, frame-accurate cross-play, and now Kat and Emmett coming soon for free!

We’ll have more information about these characters and more DLC news coming soon, so stay tuned here for more announcements, and thanks again to everyone that has supported us as we prepare to cross the finish line. Come join the party on November 20th as PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale launches, and I’ll see you online!

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 7

+ Dark_Relic on November 15th, 2012 at 10:53 am said:

Now with Kat and Emmett confirmed, i hope to see:
Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
Cloud (Final Fantasy)
Wander (Shadow Of The Colossuss)
Pyramid Head (Silent Hill)
Rayman (Rayman)
Jennifer Tate (Primal)
Abe (Abe’s Oddisey)
Zhao Yun (Dynasty Warriors)
Connor or Ezio (Assasins Creed)
Raziel (Soul Reaver)
Ethan Mars (Heavy Rain)
Ellen or Keats (Folklore)
Dart (Legend Of Dragoon)
Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
Tomba (Tomba!)
Gex (Gex)

All of them are all-stars for me and i hope to see some of them specially Zhao Yun and Abe. I want to see Alice (Alice Madness Returns) but she isn’t an All-Star in the Playstation Universe in my opinion, but i love her haha.

+ SuperGlitchPro on November 15th, 2012 at 10:58 am said:

Great to see them in the roster.. even though I have never played both games yet..
Will we have other characters as DLC like: Rayman, Chimera, Croc, Tomba, Abe, Sora maybe Crash too?
I’ve heard the Oddworld creators wants Abe to be included into the game… Superbot PLEAASE do so.

+ MosesUnspoken on November 15th, 2012 at 11:06 am said:

YEEEESSSSSSSS.

YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

BEST NEWS OF THE DAY.

+ SarshelYam on November 15th, 2012 at 11:10 am said:

Personally, I fantasized about Emmett’s build & battle approach before I knew he would be a reality. He should be fun, and Kat is icing on the cake!

“letherclad on November 15th, 2012 at 8:46 am said:
Any chance we can still get Kazuma Kiryu?”

THIS, absolutely THIS! The Dragon of Dojima needs to be in this at some point.

+ cyrnix on November 15th, 2012 at 11:10 am said:

Very cool, I can see both choices turning out really well!

+ Bth_Portugal on November 15th, 2012 at 11:11 am said:

PLEASE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION!!!

Soo, for 2 weeks, they’ll be free, so after those 2 weeks, what will happen?

Another thing, if you want, you can ignore this question, but, is there any chance of Crash Bandicoot being a DLC character?

Seth Killian's Avatar

+ Seth Killian on November 16th, 2012 at 12:57 pm said:

I assume they will still be available for a price after 2 weeks, but there’s no reason to wait, so download them when they go live and they’re free for all.

I’d love to see Crash and I’d never say never, but not yet.

+ saab01 on November 15th, 2012 at 11:15 am said:

I have a question so the DLC will be from the PS store right ? So even if I didn’t have the game at that time I can still download these 2 characters and when I do get the game I will have them right ?

Seth Killian's Avatar

+ Seth Killian on November 16th, 2012 at 12:59 pm said:

I am not positive, but I believe this is correct–you can download the characters even without the game (though of course you will need the game to be able to eventually use them).

+ saintaqua on November 15th, 2012 at 11:15 am said:

This is one game I wouldn’t mind being swamped in dlc!!
Please keep the dlc updates coming!
Cloud, Squall, Sora, Legend of Dragoon Characters, Dark Cloud characters, Monkey from Enslaved, Laharl/Etna, Snake, Wander, Prince of the Cosmos….

+ Chambers411 on November 15th, 2012 at 11:28 am said:

This is absolutely fantastic news to me. Now If Only I could get Ellen (folklore) Raziel ( legacy of kain) and Vib Ribbon I would be over the moon. (seriously on the Vib Ribbon suggestion btw) Nice to see Kat rounding out the roster abit for the girls, Nariko and Fat princess were lookin’ a tad lonely by themselves.

+ bocahfooty on November 15th, 2012 at 11:29 am said:

I still can’t seem to find the answer to this anywhere. Will there be a purchase window where Vita owners can get preorder costumes too when buying the digital version? I don’t have a PS3 and there’s no way I can preorder it from the PSN store.

Seth Killian's Avatar

+ Seth Killian on November 16th, 2012 at 1:02 pm said:

Unfortunately I’m not certain. If you are able to digitally preorder for Vita, then I assume you would be eligible for the preorder bonus costume, but I don’t know for certain. I’ll try and look into it, and sorry to be stumped :/

+ ThePastor-1 on November 15th, 2012 at 11:31 am said:

the fact that i lost my internet connection pisses me off considering this was announced
but super stoked hope i can get the characters before its too late

+ androide901 on November 15th, 2012 at 11:42 am said:

Hey Seth one question, are kat and emmet going to appear in the intro cutscene?

Seth Killian's Avatar

+ Seth Killian on November 16th, 2012 at 1:03 pm said:

Unfortunately not. We completed the opening cinematic before there were any plans for Kat and Emmett, much less models for either character (which are only now in development).

+ Ellie-Goulding98 on November 15th, 2012 at 11:43 am said:

Thankyou superbot for makeng this game, your the best thing thats happened to playstation in a while (and there has been some pritty neat things on PSN recently) and everyone shut up about crash! superbot are trying their best with the money they got to build an awesome game, but god damb activison is charging to much. i’m happy with the 20 they already have.
my favorate charaters
1. Cole/ Evil Cole
2. Ratchet and Clank
3. Sackboy
4. Spike
5. Nathan drake
just one question- will there be more costumes for characters other than the ones you get when you pre-order it?
either way I’m still pre-ordering it (in fact already have)

THANKS

Seth Killian's Avatar

+ Seth Killian on November 16th, 2012 at 1:05 pm said:

Yes! There are alternate costumes for every character in the game that you can unlock for free just by playing the game. The preorder bonus costumes are essentially the third character costume.

+ Gammazon on November 15th, 2012 at 11:52 am said:

This is actually a really big deal for me. I was so hoping for Kat to join the battle at some point and was almost disappointed not to see her in the launch cast. But the fact she is DLC AND FREE makes me a very VERY happy bunny!

Now we just need her Rival superbot! PYRAMIDHEAD LETS GO!!

+ Gintoki-w on November 15th, 2012 at 11:52 am said:

Free DLC! Cool :) you guys are amazing !

For characters I hope to see Crash and Specter next

For stages It will be awsome to see Crash stage with Dr. Neo Cortex :)

Can’t wait to play the game !

Good luck :)

+ materia101 on November 15th, 2012 at 11:53 am said:

Hi Seth, I have some questions for you. Even just answering ONE question would help me immensely.

1. Will the soundtrack be available to purchase at all weather it be a retail CD or a download? I would buy it JSYK.

2. What retailers will carry the pre-order bonus for Canada specifically?

3. Did Superbot at any one point attempt to obtain a Square-Enix character for PSASBR?

4. How are you? Is your job stressful?

Thanks in advance!

Seth Killian's Avatar

+ Seth Killian on November 16th, 2012 at 1:11 pm said:

1. Good question, and I don’t know. I would assume yes, but there may be complications around licensing the music since much of the soundtrack is mashups from the soundtracks to other games.

2. I don’t know about Canadian retail offers at this time, but I would assume they do.

3. Square-Enix have great characters and a great place in PS history, but all of our discussions about these things are covered by non-disclosure agreements, so we can’t talk about even whether we’re talking about characters.

4. It’s stressful but in a fantastic way. If you find a way to do something you love in life, even hard or stressful times can still be great.

+ IllustratedDEO on November 15th, 2012 at 11:53 am said:

Thanks again S-Kill, SuperBot Entertainment Staff & Development Team, this game although it’s one of my highly anticipated title’s it’s starting to feel like it’s a nostalgic homage x brawler of everything PlayStation with protagonist n mascots of SCEA/J that i grew up enjoying over the years. Thanks for this Seth Killian, hope there is more to come i really appreciate it.

+ Elvick_ on November 15th, 2012 at 11:55 am said:

Keep it up and release a complete version and we’ll talk. But Kat shoukld hae been in from the start. There should be more females than Coles.

@46: With Starhawks building gameplay, he could be interesting. Unlike the rest of them.

+ Moonlight150 on November 15th, 2012 at 11:56 am said:

This is fantastic, even though I have never played Gravity Rush or Starhawk. I have been seeing how much these two have been wanted and I’m glad those game’s fans are getting their representative.

This game already has honestly got every important PlayStation character to me (Kratos, Cole, Ratchet and a couple others lol) and even threw in Big Daddy as a great surprise. And having an expanding roster is just even more amazing. The more the merrier is what I always say for fighting games.

My only request is Sora, but I know thats a strech so I’m not getting my hopes up, but you can bet that I will get any DLC this game has to offer, free or not, and whether I know the character or not xD. Why can’t the 20th come faster! haha

+ TomatoDragon on November 15th, 2012 at 11:57 am said:

Oh man, depending on how Superbot handles Emmitt’s attacks…he might be my most used character. Calling down structures from space, and stomping around the stage in a huge Hawk mec for a super…I’d have a big smile on my face.

+ vonhammer on November 15th, 2012 at 12:02 pm said:

I’ve pre ordered off the Eu store,but have possibly found a bug.I’ll just copy what I posted

“Not sure if this is a bug,but I can DL the Vita version of PSASBR now without funds being taken.Same goes with the costume key and online pass.
I don’t know how PSV handles activation,so it could be normal.If I had PSV i’d test and cancel pre order to see if it was playable.”

+ rsv1234 on November 15th, 2012 at 12:11 pm said:

I noticed on page PS Store that all the characters will have additional bonus outfits, because I’m sure I saw Cole MacGrath dressed as Kessler and Evil Cole wearing an outfit which could not identify yet …

For that you have the curiosity, the image of the bonus clothes is through this link here, on the official website of the game:

+ boomstickbhg on November 15th, 2012 at 12:16 pm said:

Thank you for finally putting a character in the game that I want to play, even though it’s DLC next year, it’s free so that’s a good thing still.

y almost extinguished interest in this game has started to increase again for the first time in months.

Can’t see buying before the DLC comes out, but at least now there’s hope some good characters (and by that I mean characters I personally want to play, not trying to say other people’s favourites aren’t any good) that will hook me, coming down the line.

+ R_a_z_i_e_l on November 15th, 2012 at 12:20 pm said:

Only DLC Chracters I would care about are Spyro and Crash, bet their being held back to be turned into DLC…=/

+ saskamazon on November 15th, 2012 at 12:23 pm said:

@116 – as far as Canada & pre-order DLC, only EB Games has the bonus – as far as I know. I checked BB, Fututre Shop … you can order from Amazon.com & get the DLC … I went with EB games, as I want to play on the 20th … & that way I’ll get my DLC code at time of pick up …. going to be an amazing game !

Seth Killian's Avatar

+ Seth Killian on November 16th, 2012 at 1:14 pm said:

Thumbs up for the info assist to your Canadian brother :) Now I know too.

+ abzdine on November 15th, 2012 at 12:28 pm said:

Jap characters godammit if you are wishing to sell vitas in Japan.

+ DarkOne_PR on November 15th, 2012 at 12:30 pm said:

YES!!!!! Thanks a lot for KAt!!!!!!!!! Shes freaking awesome!!!!

Pls SE Representative next! Cloud and Dart? BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!

(Yes PS exclusive games, Not like the retards asking for lightning….)

+ Sparkz92 on November 15th, 2012 at 12:31 pm said:

Christmas came early! :D

Next on my wishlish: Kiryu Kazuma

+ Xeltos on November 15th, 2012 at 12:32 pm said:

Awesome news, i really wanted Kat to be in PSABR. =D
I haven’t played Starhawk but Emmett looks damn cool.

The only request i really have for DLC is Dart Feld from Legend of Dragoon, the game is truly a classic for many PS1 era rpg fans. Plus he’d have plenty of moves to work with, especially for supers.

+ DarkOne_PR on November 15th, 2012 at 12:33 pm said:

YES!!!!! Thanks a lot for KAt!!!!!!!!! Shes freaking awesome!!!!

Pls SE Representative next! Cloud and Dart/ Sephiroth and Sora/ Vivi and Serg (crono cross)? any team you choose i bet PS fans from the PS1 till todays era will love them :)

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!

(Yes PS exclusive games, Not like the ret.ards asking for lightning….)

+ CosiestAnimal on November 15th, 2012 at 12:33 pm said:

Seth, can u give me and everybody a hint that Snake will be apart of DLC

+ therealagent81 on November 15th, 2012 at 12:35 pm said:

Interesting. I really like the idea of adding characters as DLC, espically Kat from Gravity Rush. Get Dart from Legend of Dragoon on there and you have me sold :). Keep up the good work Sony. Love the blog BTW!

+ IllustratedDEO on November 15th, 2012 at 12:35 pm said:

also to note my wishlist of candidates for PlayStationAllStarsBattleRoyale

Ned not Crash stage wishlist
Laura Croft 2012
MGS : Ground Zeroes Big Boss Ishimura cargo ship (deadspace)/E.Honda stage (SF2)
Nathan Hale Resistance 1 & 2 Roof of Shinra corp (ff7)/libertyCity(gta)
Nero DMC4
Zack/Angell &/or Sephiroth ff7 : Crisis Core
King of all Cosmos : Katamari
Aveline de Grandpré : Assassin’s Creed III: Liberation
Isaac Clarke : Dead Space
Lightning ff13
Klonoa
Ryu Hoshi/Chun Li
Asura : Asura’s Wrath
Hero Prinny : Disgaea
KOS-MOS : Xenosaga
Niko Bellic : GTA
That’s all i got ,hope this helps for some note taking.thanks in advance.

+ X_FaDde2BLaCk_X on November 15th, 2012 at 12:42 pm said:

You guys need to tell super bot to do everything in their power to get cloud on there. At least one Final Fantasy character!

+ StrykerINF_1_23 on November 15th, 2012 at 12:47 pm said:

Has anyone else noticed the hedgehog grenade in this game from Resistance? I think Hale or a Chimera should be in this game. Its almost a crime that Emmett is in this after just one game, but a Chimera from 5 games isn’t in here!

Seth Killian's Avatar

+ Seth Killian on November 16th, 2012 at 1:21 pm said:

Good catch re: hedgehog grenade. There are actually Chimeras running around in the background of the San Francisco stage, and maybe hidden somewhere else…

+ ProjectSeoul on November 15th, 2012 at 12:56 pm said:

Is there any word on the filesize for the Vita download version? I think that would sway my decision on buying the card version or the PSN version.

+ DexterP17 on November 15th, 2012 at 12:59 pm said:

Yes!!! Great news indeed.

+ Deejmodin on November 15th, 2012 at 12:59 pm said:

@101 – Wouldn’t Norman Jayden be a better choice? I can see lots of potential if, through some explanation, he were to use ARI like the Mass Effect omni-tool for special attacks.

Maybe Ethan can be his Minion, with the ability to stun enemies while shouting “JAAAAASONNN!!” hahah

+ sovietprince on November 15th, 2012 at 1:17 pm said:

disappointed figured at least 1 of the final 4 (crash, spyro,snake, cloud) whould be coming out

+ ReDai316 on November 15th, 2012 at 1:18 pm said:

A couple of obscure characters hardly anyone wanted for free during the first 2 weeks? lol no thanks. I won’t be downloading either of these free or not.

+ Chambers411 on November 15th, 2012 at 1:23 pm said:

Actually Kat was requested a whole lot, and is in no way obscure. and why on earth would you deny yourself free content?

+ TheNamekianClown on November 15th, 2012 at 1:23 pm said:

I doubt this will be answered, but will all DLC for the game be like this? Or at least important things like characters and stages, not something trivial like costumes? I was going to cancel my pre-order when DLC was first announced so I could get the game cheaper later to offset the DLC cost, but if I know for sure that DLC is going to be free for the first 2 weeks I won’t end up canceling.

+ sovietprince on November 15th, 2012 at 1:31 pm said:

is there anymore dlc characters coming maybe sooner then next year?

+ who-s-ur-dadda on November 15th, 2012 at 1:34 pm said:

Hey Seth, thats some good news right there.

I have a qoustion, and i never ask.

You also said, that you guys would make stage DLC.

Then i thought about the perfect stage.

We all know tha Oddworld is coming back, and the stages are already in 2D. :)

I know you wont answer, but its just a tipp :D..

Best regards

+ Ijust_RY3NOz on November 15th, 2012 at 1:44 pm said:

All I can say is Superbot is awesome! I despise DLC’s and what did Superbot do? They made the first two I actually like :) Great Job, all I hope for at this point is that my most wanted character makes the DLC list: Glitch from Metal Arms. I want to see him brawl it out with Jak and Ratchet….those three are destined for an epic gun fight!

+ who-s-ur-dadda on November 15th, 2012 at 1:49 pm said:

Make an Rayman/Oddworld Stage for DLC, if you can of course.

Obama said – Yes we can !! :)

+ CloudStrife_PR on November 15th, 2012 at 1:52 pm said:

CloudStrifeeeeeeeee-pleaseeeeeeeeeee

+ TJF588 on November 15th, 2012 at 1:57 pm said:

Cat! I mea- er… Kat!

This is cool of you guys. No “complete on disc” shenanigans, and free at its launch (similar to the launch-weeks discounts on Escape Plan DLC).

Kat is one I’d instantly be interested in (if only because I like Captain Viridian), and while I’ve bemoaned Starhawk’s overexposure, it ain’t too shabby all around. Heh, now I’m imagining dropping a building on the field.

+ webbiken on November 15th, 2012 at 1:58 pm said:

Will all DLC be free for the first two weeks or is this just a one time deal?

+ Kchow23 on November 15th, 2012 at 1:59 pm said:

There is literally no reason to not own this game!

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 7