No Man's Sky

First PlayStation All-Stars DLC: Kat and Emmett Join the Battle Royale (For Free!)

Seth Killian's Avatar + Posted by Seth Killian on Nov 15, 2012 // Lead Game Designer, Sony Santa Monica Studio

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: Kat

What? Me again? Wasn’t I just here to let you know that PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale had gone gold?

Have you ever wondered what dev teams do after a game goes gold? If all is going well, often times they get down to business with DLC. And in fact that’s exactly what we have begun. I’m here today to announce the first DLC characters that will be joining the All-Stars roster: Kat from Gravity Rush, and Starhawk‘s Emmett Graves!

In addition to the signature weapons you’ll remember from his duels with the Outcasts on Dust, Emmett’s playstyle will also utilize Starhawk’s unique “Build and Battle” system, calling down help from the sky.

Kat’s approach turns gravity on its head with some mind-bending new ways to move as she positions herself for her unique brand of aerial assault. Together, they make up one of the most original duos in All-Stars.

These DLC All-Stars still have a long way to go before they’re ready to be shown off, but we wanted to let you know what the team will be working on now that we’ve gone gold with the main game, and that you can look forward to playing them… for free!

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: Emmett

Yes, you heard that right. We’re very happy to announce these first two DLC characters will be free to everyone for the first two weeks once they are available for download early next year.

That may sound a little tricky, so let me be clear: once Kat and Emmett are finished, we’ll put them up for download. They’ll be totally free for two weeks. The only limit is that you have a two-week window to claim the characters. Once you have Kat and Emmett, they are yours forever. That may sound like a lot to remember, so don’t worry, we’ll be back closer to their release to remind you of all these details.

Everyone at SuperBot, Bluepoint, and Santa Monica Studio has tried hard not only to make a great game, but also to keep the fans very firmly in mind, offering the most we can wherever we get the chance. So far we’ve offered exclusive free pre-order costumes, an amazing digital version for PS Vita at no cost when you buy the PS3 version, frame-accurate cross-play, and now Kat and Emmett coming soon for free!

We’ll have more information about these characters and more DLC news coming soon, so stay tuned here for more announcements, and thanks again to everyone that has supported us as we prepare to cross the finish line. Come join the party on November 20th as PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale launches, and I’ll see you online!

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7

+ ArmedDragoon on November 15th, 2012 at 6:20 pm said:

In any case, this news pretty much made my day, Superbot. I wanted Kat very much and am pleased, and Graves is a surprise that might lead to an interesting fighting style to set him apart from the other gunners. I’ll definately be grabbing these two when they’re released.

Now all you need to do is remember that RPGs exist in some manner and you’ll have invalidated everything bad I’ve had to say about the game.

+ number1tab on November 15th, 2012 at 6:26 pm said:

can we get sora from kingdom hearts PLEASE!!!!! And cloud!!!!!!

+ BlaqMagiq24 on November 15th, 2012 at 6:31 pm said:

This single piece of news has completely sold me on this game! Announcing Kat alone would’ve made me buy this game but Emmett too AND for free? These 2 are from 2 of my most anticipated games of this year! Thanks a lot S-Kill and SuperBot! You are definitely going about it right.

+ zultan8212 on November 15th, 2012 at 6:32 pm said:

@200

*FACEPALM

To each his own… but this attitude of entitlement and not having to work for anything is part of the problem with gaming today. Please don’t take offense, just stating my opinion

+ h2omasnah- on November 15th, 2012 at 6:32 pm said:

A game isn’t the one who decides whether content is free or not, the companies are. There are things that should be free and shouldn’t be charged for. For example, characters, skins, weapons, move sets, stages, anything that doesn’t cost so much money to develop that it can’t be free by any means.

That’s common sense, if you don’t understand that you’re either a kid or just in denial and want to defend your beloved company which is very sad and pathetic.

Okay, you don’t want to unlock them but it doesn’t change the fact it brings more surprises and replay value.

+ h2omasnah- on November 15th, 2012 at 6:32 pm said:

As well as keeps things fresh.

+ zultan8212 on November 15th, 2012 at 6:34 pm said:

@206

My point exactly! Thank you

+ BkzUzi on November 15th, 2012 at 6:38 pm said:

@205
Talking to you is talking to a brick wall.
I give up.

+ h2omasnah- on November 15th, 2012 at 6:39 pm said:

All I’m doing is using facts, common sense and thins that are obvious.

+ BrAvo-RiFlE on November 15th, 2012 at 6:52 pm said:

Will ths dlc be on for the beta

+ ArmedDragoon on November 15th, 2012 at 6:56 pm said:

@209 Your “facts” are your subjective opinions on how DLC should be handled and charged, and I believe those are the opposite of facts.

+ dodgedoors on November 15th, 2012 at 7:01 pm said:

I am putting in my vote for Zombie Lee and Clementine controlling him.

+ tusunami on November 15th, 2012 at 7:18 pm said:

Can you say yeeeaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Mister_Zurkon on November 15th, 2012 at 7:34 pm said:

Any reason Emmett and Kat were segregated to DLC?

+ Vcheese on November 15th, 2012 at 7:34 pm said:

Amazing news!! I would have rather raven from gravity rush instead of emmett though. Thanks to everyone that makes this possible.

+ Dragun619 on November 15th, 2012 at 7:43 pm said:

All the characters are unlocked for tournaments and the idea that people can play their favorite character as soon as they start the game. Seems standard now with fighting games.

Kat is suppose to represent a PlayStation character for the PS Vita.
Emmett Graves is a chance to push Starhawk/ Warhawk series.

DLC is free for two weeks, a bonus for those who purchased the game early or for those who will buy it eventually. Late owners will probably pay for it, unless of course they download it before the two weeks that its free passes.

Won’t argue if DLC should be free or not, but if you guys want Crash, Spyro, Snake, Cloud, etc.
You guys need to make sure this game is a success that is acceptable for Publishers to see profit and consider leasing these characters to Sony. Activision owns Crash & Sypro. It’s been said that they tried several times already and they haven’t got anywhere. Probably the same for Square Enix, etc. Just to waiting to see if the game is success or not.

I’ll be picking this game eventually and it’s nice to see that SuperbBot’s already working on dlc. Here’s hoping the game will be a success and that the most wanted characters eventually make it in the game.

+ number1tab on November 15th, 2012 at 7:56 pm said:

thanks for that your right to and i preordered this game im ready to go pick it up but i really wish they would get sora,riku,and cloud in the game that would be a big plus for me

+ ultralucario64 on November 15th, 2012 at 8:12 pm said:

Will they have their own set of unlockables, like say, I can unlock a Raven minion and one of Gravity Falls’s DLC costumes in the game?

+ Dragun619 on November 15th, 2012 at 8:14 pm said:

@number1tab

No problem man. I would also really love to see Final Fantasy & Kingdom Heart’s characters in the game, but alas Square Enix tends to keep their character’s close to their chest.

It could also be that they’re waiting for the right moment, timing it to build anticipation for Square Enix’s own titles like Final Fantasy XIII 3: Lightning’s Return or a possible western release of Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD.

+ Avi_Draconis on November 15th, 2012 at 8:58 pm said:

for some reason you guys have completely skipped over one of the biggest sony characters… spyro! (before they smashed his face in for skylanders… made him look like some kind of dragon… pug halfbreed)

+ Kaddyshacks on November 15th, 2012 at 9:09 pm said:

Absolutely fantastic news! I’m really happy to see Kat, and Emmett as well (but especially Kat :P ). If you’re still reading these Seth, may I suggest Robbit Rabbit from Jumping Flash be a consideration for DLC? Imagine a ‘classics’ DLC pack with Crash, Spryo and Robbit – good ol’ PSone icons!

+ Undrey on November 15th, 2012 at 9:12 pm said:

Okay, I don’t care if this is harsh or whatever, but to whoever idiot who wants all characters to be free, remember, people f’ing work and waste their time making these characters, as well as use the company’s money to make these characters. Just because you are cheap doesn’t mean the company has to get less money.

+ XIXTShyguyTXIX on November 15th, 2012 at 9:50 pm said:

Considering that each person has a rival, are you gonna realease 2 dlc characters at the same time every time so they won’t they have a rival that already a rival?

+ XIXTShyguyTXIX on November 15th, 2012 at 9:52 pm said:

that already has a rival

+ Xurvhd1 on November 15th, 2012 at 10:31 pm said:

Question time: Will there be more DLC Characters planned aside from Kat and Emmett Graves? I would really love to see Wanderer, Crash Bandicoot (if possible), Spyro the Dragon (if possible), and Rayman (if possible). After all, Rayman’s first game was on the PS1.

+ jds07 on November 15th, 2012 at 10:33 pm said:

Nice addition, but why is Crash getting skipped over? When Playstation first released, Crash was Playstation’s Mario and/or Sonic. I don’t know if I can speak for anybody else, but the Crash franchise was the reason I was sold to Playstation. I just find it strange that there are third party characters like Big Daddy and Raiden in the game, but not Crash or even Spyro. Even first party characters that are now third party (Dante and Heihachi) got a spot in the game. Kat and Emmitt are brand new to Playstation (if I’m wrong, please correct me). Crash and Spyro been with Playstation since day one. I’m just begging, can we please get those characters in the game? If there’s a copyright issue reason why these won’t be added, just tell us. I rather face the fact it’s not going happen, than just wondering are these character ever going to be added to the game.

+ h2omasnah- on November 15th, 2012 at 10:59 pm said:

@211 ArmedDragoon

Not facts huh? why should DLC characters cost money when they don’t cost enough money to justify charging for them? after all their consumers already paid for the game? if DLC couldn’t be made free than there wouldn’t be an free DLC, but there is free DLC and some free DLC are way bigger than paid DLC so why should smaller DLC be paid but bigger be free? exactly.

+ h2omasnah- on November 15th, 2012 at 11:00 pm said:

The only reason why companies charge for DLC is because sadly there are enough dumb consumers in the video game world that pay for them because their whole life revolves around video games. Sadly, gamers are one of the dumbest consumers there are.

+ GhostX1984 on November 16th, 2012 at 12:00 am said:

Sweeet. Screw black friday deals, this is a preorder/day 1 buy for me! I just wish you guys offered retro models of characters as the preorder bonus costumes like retro dante. Also it would have been nice to have retro cole from infamous 1 with his jacket. That jacket was badass.

You still need to add crash bandicoot, solid snake (old or young)! But this lineup is crazy good.

I would also personally like to see something like a slow moving zombie, dim witted zombie that can shoot zombie dogs from the original resident evil series by Miyazaki since the RE franchise was originally was exclusive to the Playstation when it debuted. RE is what prompted me to buy my PS1! Same with Lara Croft since I believe the Tomb Raider series was also originally playstation exclusive.

How about a twist on the minigame from Street Figther where you destroy the car by having cars from Gran Turismo spawn in the levels and whoever gets the last hit gets some kind of powerup?

And although you can’t really put anything from Shadow of the Colossus into the roster, it would be cool if they were in the levels.

Oh and maybe a character from Dark Cloud. That game was awesome.

+ GreatMockingjay on November 16th, 2012 at 12:24 am said:

That’s great! Now please, Seth, keep an assassin mind. (Either Altair, Ezio, or Connor, IDC)

+ Shiaoran on November 16th, 2012 at 1:17 am said:

KAT! Hopefully she’ll have lots of alt costumes, including the unreleased meat dress!

Will you also consider Tomba, which people have been asking alot? (To this day I hope for a Tomba! 3)

+ Shiaoran on November 16th, 2012 at 1:18 am said:

Oh, and I wouldn’t mind having Raven as a costume for Kat.

+ PrinceofXIII on November 16th, 2012 at 1:36 am said:

yay Kat!!!!!

+ thavleifrim on November 16th, 2012 at 1:51 am said:

Wow, i was expecting some dumb $10 each $15 both price like capcom love to do, last thing i expected was free, well done. The more i find out about this game the more i want it, can’t wait till it comes out here on thursday (lucky Americans playing it 2 days early )= …)

+ UnchartedFan12 on November 16th, 2012 at 3:49 am said:

This is great news and their both bound to have reveal trailers someday soon which brings me to my point is there any possible chance that Nathan Drake & Big Daddy will get separate reveal trailers I ask this because of the fact that Kratos Sweet Tooth Fat Princess Parappa The Rapper Colonel Radec and Sly Cooper all managed to get one so why not them and would it be possible for them to each get one seeing as the first six did.

+ listy93 on November 16th, 2012 at 4:04 am said:

Great news, thanks very much Superbot,I look forward to playing as them!
– Any chance of Ellen from Folkore making it at some point? She has really awesome abilities and it was such a unique and fun game! :)

+ Oto57 on November 16th, 2012 at 4:25 am said:

I really think that all dlc must be free. This is the most exclusive game of playstation, it has to be for the fans!
If you have to pay for the dlc y hope it would be something like $0.99 each character and free por PLUS members
I’m gonna buy this game right now… which version do you recommend? Digital or Blue-Ray? Both have Ps Vita digital version?
Thanks!

+ Redikol on November 16th, 2012 at 4:48 am said:

Awesome! Don’t stop there, bring on a bunch of more characters, preferably free please. Like, Solid Snake, Ico, Wander, Tomba, Lara Croft, Crash Bandicoot, Gabriel Logan, Lian Xing, Leon S. Kennedy, Claire Redfield, Chris Redfield, Jill Valentine, Albert Wesker, Spyro the Dragon, Rayman, Croc, Raziel, Megaman.

+ BlaqMagiq24 on November 16th, 2012 at 5:24 am said:

@228 h2omasnah

So basically you’re calling almost all gamers dumb because they buy DLC? You seem to forget the point of DLC is to keep the game fresh and by extending the game they can charge if they want to. By your logic all DLC should be free. Umm you seem to forget all DLC takes development costs to make big or small whether it’s more characters, stages, etc. SuperBot is kind enough to give you two weeks to get it for free. If you can’t get them by then, sorry but that’s your loss.

+ Nithorias on November 16th, 2012 at 6:19 am said:

Question, if you pre-order from the PS Store do you get the pre-order bonus from gamestop (the costumes)?

Seth Killian's Avatar

+ Seth Killian on November 16th, 2012 at 1:53 pm said:

I believe the answer is yes.

+ Dying2Win on November 16th, 2012 at 6:26 am said:

Take the Dying2Win competition and win a copy of Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale:
facebook.com/pages/Dying2Win/303958223010593?sk=app_208195102528120

+ enraged-viking on November 16th, 2012 at 6:27 am said:

Great to see DLC charaters but will there be costume DLC aswell?

+ MOCHIIIx on November 16th, 2012 at 7:14 am said:

Nice! Kat. <3 I wish Raven was in it too. :p

+ Soldner_Kei on November 16th, 2012 at 7:27 am said:

well the’re freeee

+ JamalVita_91 on November 16th, 2012 at 8:08 am said:

Will Kat & Emmett Be Available To Those Who Have The PS Vita Version Of The Game?

Seth Killian's Avatar

+ Seth Killian on November 16th, 2012 at 1:53 pm said:

Definitely.

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on November 16th, 2012 at 9:27 am said:

Even though I’m not a fan of either of these 2 characters, this is great news, I loved the game from the beta and that’s what convinced me to get it, and now you’ll be giving us 2 more characters for free! that is awesome, I’m definitely buying this game, also the cross-buy is a great deal.

+ Spiroff23 on November 16th, 2012 at 10:08 am said:

Will the new characters be added to the opening cinematic? I’d love to see them in that awesome cgi!

+ duongsn on November 16th, 2012 at 10:28 am said:

After reading this I have made up my mind and pre order PSASBR! Kat for the win lol! thanks alot SuperBot

+ ThatOneGuy39 on November 16th, 2012 at 10:37 am said:

I just want to say I’m really glad to see what you guys are doing for us the fans, I saw a Thank You video from one particular fan who you guys at Superbot sent a PS3, shirts, and games and that right there says a lot about you guys and I’ll be honest It wasn’t until this year that I got a PS3 but it’s also the first Sony console I’ve owned and Playstation All-Stars marks the first PS3 game I’ve been hyped for and as a whole you guys at Superbot gave me a very good first impression at what to expect from the companies working under Sony with the things you’ve been doing, from the stuff you gave that one fan to the free DLC so I thank you Seth, as well as the rest of Superbot for showing me a bright future as a PS3 owner.

+ Wozman23 on November 16th, 2012 at 11:02 am said:

While I’m not particularly excited for these two, I am happy to see solid details on the DLC support. Hopefully the other characters on my wishlist from unrepresented franchises, or franchises that all ready have their single rep, are viable options.

I have no problem spending money for:
A Chimera
Clank (standalone), Dr, Nefarious, Qwark
Daxter (standalone)
Bentley (in wheelchair), Murray
Zeke Dunbar
Rayman, Jade (Beyond Good & Evil)
Isaac Clarke
Finn (from Sorcery – it was a solid game and he’d be unique)
Shank
The swappable trio from Trine
Monkey or Pigsy (Enslaved)
Someone from Double Fine like Raz or Eddie Riggs
Gex
And of course, Activision’s prisoners: Crash and Spyro

Then maybe next year we can get a reps from Fuse, The Last of Us, and Puppeteer.

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7