PS3-TLOU Left Behind

YouTube for PS Vita: Update to Version 2

Don Mesa's Avatar + Posted by Don Mesa on Dec 03, 2012 // Director, Product Planning & Platform Software Innovation, SCEA

Since June, PS Vita owners have enjoyed watching videos via the YouTube app on the device’s brilliant 5” OLED screen, bringing you entertaining, hilarious, and viral videos, plus trailers for the hottest games coming to PS Vita and PS3 on the official PlayStation channel. While PS Vita’s YouTube app launched with a robust set of features, today you can update the app to version 2, bringing several new features that will enhance your viewing experience even further. Here are the highlights:

• Subscriptions and channels: Now you can view and manage your subscriptions (including your subscription to the PlayStation YouTube channel), browse all videos on a specific channel and check out detailed information in the “About this channel” menu option.
  • Improved controls: We’ve added new functions on controls including Next/Previous buttons, a loop video option and the ability to browse videos while another is playing, making it easy to select preferred videos without interrupting playback.
  • Playlist settings: You can now create playlists and add videos to your playlists, including your Favorites or Watch Later lists.
  • Closed captions: Captions help deaf and hard-of-hearing viewers enjoy YouTube videos, and they’re also useful if you forgot your headphones and want to watch videos in a loud (or quiet) setting while on-the-go. Now you can display closed captions when playing videos. Look for the captions icon on the video thumbnail. You can even change the language of captions in the options menu.
  • Continuous playback: In the settings menu, you can now enable continuous playback, so your next video selection will start to play automatically.
  • PS Vita buttons: You now have the option to use the PS Vita buttons to control playback and menus, which can be enabled in the Settings > System menu.
  • Share: Show that you’re tuned in—Tweet, Email or group message your friends the name and URL to the latest video. You can also invite people to check out any channel on YouTube — like the the PlayStation YouTube channel — via group message, so they don’t miss a beat.
  • Improved search: You can now use search filters — sorting by upload date or duration, for example — making it easier than ever to find your favorite videos.

We’re thrilled to deliver updates to some of our most popular apps, furthering our promise to bring you the best portable entertainment experience possible on PS Vita. Which added YouTube features are you most excited about?

113 Comments

+ lisatsunami on December 3rd, 2012 at 1:07 pm said:

Great news, thanks.

I watch YT on my PS3 all the time and I don’t understand why so many people complain about it. I can’t bear to watch YT on anything but my giant Bravia’s gorgeous screen. The only thing I hate is the wheel-of-fortune search function which is pretty much the same thing I hate about the PSN store redesign.

+ SilentShadowX2 on December 3rd, 2012 at 1:19 pm said:

@51 The youtube app on ps3 still sucks

+ DrPhiill on December 3rd, 2012 at 1:22 pm said:

Cheers!!! Have been waiting for this update for some time now, so wanted that sub option for my vita etc!!
Thanks Sony and Google for making this happen!

+ IzoGray on December 3rd, 2012 at 1:27 pm said:

Please Respond

Will I ever be able to upload videos with the Vita?

+ spocar on December 3rd, 2012 at 1:37 pm said:

Sounds cool to me:), are you going to put the option of seeing like your own channel for those who have a youtube account?

+ CDWJUSTIN on December 3rd, 2012 at 1:45 pm said:

great thing is i cannot use the youtube app on my ps3 either of them and i own to… it freezes each and every time before i can even watch a video

+ GGCAN on December 3rd, 2012 at 1:56 pm said:

Very nice !

Thank you.

+ Kchow23 on December 3rd, 2012 at 2:06 pm said:

Awesome update! much needed functionality has been added.. really happy with the Youtube app. Perhaps the PS Store for PS Vita could add game trailers from Youtube for streaming.

+ lisatsunami on December 3rd, 2012 at 2:10 pm said:

@56, at least you gave a reason you don’t like the PS3 version of the app. I don’t have this problem. I can do a search, say “Dark Souls Bed of Chaos” and dozens of videos will line up and I can start the first one and let it run for hours and hours.

The only times I have freezing problems is a) an HD video and b) my internet connection drops to below 60%. So go out and check your speed when you get a freeze. It only happens to me 10% of the time, so YT on PS3 is great for me.

+ Kchow23 on December 3rd, 2012 at 2:14 pm said:

Not sure if this has already been added but if you click on a Youtube video link… it should open up the Youtube app and play that video.

+ ratchet6009 on December 3rd, 2012 at 2:16 pm said:

no update on the PS3 youtube app? it needs fixing

+ MakoSOLIDER on December 3rd, 2012 at 2:23 pm said:

Thanks,
Could you also update the browser so that when you click on a video it takes to to youtube app and plays the video? When I visit PS Blog I’d like to make watching vids more seamless

+ IIL0YDII on December 3rd, 2012 at 2:26 pm said:

add ability to see top comments,sometimes they hilarious

+ angelspawn77 on December 3rd, 2012 at 2:38 pm said:

Great update, but a feature that I’m surprised you guys missed is the ability to click on video links. Sometimes some videos have a link (IN the video) where it takes you to the video the picture is showing. I’d like the ability to click on those videos and go to the video that is linked.

+ SpooNManX on December 3rd, 2012 at 2:41 pm said:

Always good to see the Vita get some love. I bought a Vita with all of the new attention to it, Free Plus games, nice bundle sale.. Had to grab one! :)

+ U_P_S on December 3rd, 2012 at 2:50 pm said:

Great news! I love my Vita and an improved YouTube app is a welcome addition!

+ hjason1 on December 3rd, 2012 at 2:52 pm said:

No offense but the ps3 app needs a v2..
The app is clunky and buggy at best.
We should be able to use it like on pc but in an app.
Comments ect are part of the youtube experience, we have none of that on the ps3…
Please fix it and make out youtube experience an actual youtube experience.

+ cobrafang on December 3rd, 2012 at 3:00 pm said:

The Vita’s YT app was already great but now it is even better. The most exciting new feature for me is the search filtering so now I see newer videos first. Vita is awesome! PS3 is awesome! PS Plus is awesome! You guys are awesome!

+ Elvick_ on December 3rd, 2012 at 3:01 pm said:

@48: It was always there, just done poorly and combined with other bs in the star.

I’m liking this update so far, just wish it would stream… or drop the price of memory cards Sony, so I can move my games to the 32GB and leave the 4GB for apps.

+ alphathunder7 on December 3rd, 2012 at 3:02 pm said:

This is such a great update! It really enhanced the experience but the only thing you guys need to fix is the comments section. It would be nice to have the ability to reply or give a thumbs up to a comment and view the top comments.

+ Elvick_ on December 3rd, 2012 at 3:08 pm said:

@51: It streams slowly, subscription list includes likes, faves and comments with no option to disable that and just show uploaded videos, no comments, no way to rate or favorite videos, doesn’t even show videos properly for me. Cuts them off, on all sides, makes me wonder if it’s even HD. For example, Game Grumps, I can’t even see the border they always use on PS3. Ugly background, awful search.

Among other things. :3

+ FORMIK on December 3rd, 2012 at 3:15 pm said:

Looks good! Could we get a “lock” feature, where young children sitting to watch videos that see screens being tapped won’t close their video if they decide to tap the screen?
Also, please let the team that created the Netflix app know my request. Thanks!

+ tobz1000 on December 3rd, 2012 at 3:15 pm said:

Awesome news! This app is the only thing that makes washing up bearable.

+ cardtrooper on December 3rd, 2012 at 3:15 pm said:

I so wanted this update to allow me to upload my videos to my youtube account from my vita… guess these new features will do until then. Great job guys… #waitingformore

+ buddyng4 on December 3rd, 2012 at 3:22 pm said:

thanks sony, i have had some issues with the youtube app but this will help.

+ Rikuson1 on December 3rd, 2012 at 3:27 pm said:

Awesome update but i do have one complaint.
The feature you added where you can send Youtube links via group messaging was a amazing idea, and i tried it out but if i send a psn message to a friend with a youtube link in it and he check’s it on his Vita it takes him to the Internet Web Browser Application of Youtube website which we all know does not work. If you can make it so that when your in the Web Browser and on a video page on youtube you need to have a feature that sends you from that web page on youtube to the Youtube app version of that page. If you add that in there it application will be absolutely perfect.

+ GMFCO311 on December 3rd, 2012 at 3:37 pm said:

What I would like to know is why after the last PS Maintenance update, did the PS3 YouTube App get worse?
It locks and freezes all the time that it forces my PS3 to shut off.

Ahh, I hope today’s update will fix that!

+ ToxiikxScopes on December 3rd, 2012 at 3:47 pm said:

One Word: Awesome!

+ Bcrazyman on December 3rd, 2012 at 3:54 pm said:

HEY DON! CANT WAIT TO GET MY VITA! IS THIS GONNA LIKE THE APP ON OUR PS3?
NEED TO KNOW THANKS!

+ Heatseeker125 on December 3rd, 2012 at 4:54 pm said:

I never had any problems with the current YouTube app for Vita but this update with new features is still appreciated. Thanks.

+ SPC-AR on December 3rd, 2012 at 5:10 pm said:

For the next update, please give us Analytics so we can look at our video statistics.

+ ItaChu on December 3rd, 2012 at 6:01 pm said:

thank you very much for this VERY NEEDED update i was very annoyed at the app for not putting stuff i searched for in upload date order and the subscriptions thnx

+ ItaChu on December 3rd, 2012 at 6:07 pm said:

just updated it and oh i love it thnx again

+ tusunami on December 3rd, 2012 at 6:29 pm said:

Glad to see the YouTube app geting revised for PS Vita, things like this make owning a PS Vita all the better.

+ Taylorhead on December 3rd, 2012 at 7:10 pm said:

I just want to say thanks for all your hard work improving the vita’s apps. Just doesn’t seem fair that when you update somethin to make it better instead of thank you messages the majority of messages are telling you what they want fixed next. Some people will never be satisfied. Most aren’t saying it but we really appreciate all the work you guys/gals put in.

+ fredster90 on December 3rd, 2012 at 8:04 pm said:

what does version 2.01for the vita do? what is it for?

+ grihamut on December 3rd, 2012 at 8:05 pm said:

I live at Germany. But i made my country Turkey in my account. I don’t know why did i do but Turkey hasn’t got YouTube app. Now i see Turkey play station store page on my vita. So i couldn’t download YouTube app. I wanted to change my country but it is not changeable.
I guess this is little strange issue but how can i fix this?
Anyone might have an idea?

Thanks for Ps Vita.

+ Sephir007 on December 3rd, 2012 at 8:07 pm said:

Thank you for improving the Youtube app, I hope next is the PS3 app, please.
As a suggestion I would like to be able to open videos from other websites too.

+ SolenNguyen on December 3rd, 2012 at 8:16 pm said:

Facebook app update and support more language (Vietnamese…).

+ Dade247 on December 3rd, 2012 at 8:29 pm said:

Awesome downloading now!

+ LazyShady on December 3rd, 2012 at 9:14 pm said:

Thank you.

+ Crazy_Lunatic463 on December 3rd, 2012 at 9:24 pm said:

Awesome update :)

+ Fardeenah on December 3rd, 2012 at 9:57 pm said:

i really wish that when we try to play a youtube video on the internet browser on the vita, it automatically opens up the video on the youtube app. vita dont even have copy and paste so its a pain to type the address. also it would be cool if we could multitask the app, with a game, playing a game and checking its video walkthrough

side note: skype app really need text /chat support, its crippled. also, would be nice if we could turn off the screen during a voice call. it drains way too much battery life

+ Ouren on December 3rd, 2012 at 9:59 pm said:

the dang PS3 apps still hardlocks.

+ Freshh23 on December 3rd, 2012 at 10:47 pm said:

What PSVita needs media wise is to be a video game portable console and tablet hybrid. Sony said it wants to have their own OS and use it on their products, this is a perfect chance to start. It needs a dedicated and robust app store, matching or beating prices on content available elsewhere (content on PS is 300%+ more than elsewhere for example), matching or better tablet features(for example, multitasking), free digital copies of our DVD’s and Blu rays, way cheaper memory cards, include a memory card with all PSVita’s and built in storage would be better but not necessary since the price of the memory cards will be cheap and will be included.

Make consumers want to buy your products, fanboys will not give you success. Being worse than the competition isn’t going to do that and being more expensive or anti-consumer isn’t either.

One of the things you can do with PSVita that will give you so much more success is the consumer having the ability to get a digital version of our UMD content for free-a really low price. I would buy a PSVita if that was true.

+ imperviusAPE on December 3rd, 2012 at 11:34 pm said:

now add the youtube download ap and im happy! and off topic when do we get borderlands2 and kz merc for vita??

+ Kchow23 on December 4th, 2012 at 1:05 am said:

Only other thing that I could want from the Youtube app is that they are made a “small” app like the browser is now. Also it’s time that the Facebook app gets updated as well!

+ VendettaLion on December 4th, 2012 at 1:25 am said:

Much needed update, and a vastly superior experence now. Great Work Sony!

+ altrodesi on December 4th, 2012 at 1:35 am said:

this update looks good. thanks. are you guys working on
a way for the vita to be able to control the youtube app on ps3? i would really like to do that instead of using a smart phone.

+ Wizman87 on December 4th, 2012 at 2:06 am said:

This is really great! I’m glad the YouTube app for the PS VITA is getting an update! I hope to see the same similar update come to the PS3′s YouTube app fairly soon as well! Also, to be honest, I wasn’t even expecting this update at all, so it came out to be quite a surprise (even more-so for the update coming out so ‘soon’ since the YouTube app was originally released only a mere month or two ago). As a side note, hopefully, CrunchyRoll’s promised PS VITA app that’s planned to be released later this year comes true – I’m really looking forward to that too. ;]

In regards to the PS3 and PS VITA web browsing experience, are there any plans for implementing HTML5 or the newer Flash player on the PS3 or PS VITA browser app(s)? I’m liking the newest browser improvements since the last PS VITA browser app update, but it still doesn’t allow you to view more than 65% of the available websites out there properly. Myself and many other PlayStation users out there really want to be able to view other websites online as well (e.x. like Twitch.TV/Justin.TV especially).