PS3-TLOU Left Behind

Persona 4 Golden is PS Vita’s Top-Rated Game

Robyn Mukai's Avatar + Posted by Robyn Mukai on Dec 05, 2012 // Marketing Manager, Atlus

It goes without saying that PlayStation.Blog readers are the some of the savviest, most informed gamers out there. So it almost seems silly to tell you that since its launch on November 20th, Persona 4 Golden has held the honor of being the highest-rated PS Vita title ever according to Metacritic and Gamerankings. Are you surprised? Of course not, because you know P4G’s immersive 100+ hour adventure backwards and forwards. You know the grounded, relatable characters that are at turns emotional, then hilarious. (Trial of the Dragon, anyone?) You’re more than proficient at finding, fusing, and customizing all the best, strongest Personas to handle Kanji’s steamy bathhouse boss battle. You’ve memorized the list of upgrades and new content that have helped bring Persona 4 Golden to even greater heights of critical success than the beloved PlayStation 2 version it’s based on. We know you know all this and so have no desire to pump this blog post full of extraneous information. HOWEVER, as you may have a few less sophisticated people in your life (and let’s face it, don’t we all?), friends who may not be as familiar with the Persona series, we’ve prepared the following highlight trailer to give them a glimpse of some of the amazing experiences that are awaiting them if they’ll only smarten up and be like you! Persona 4 Golden is now available in stores exclusively for PS Vita, so be a pal and pass the news along. And hey, buy a few copies and impose your good taste on others. It’s the spirit of the season, ya know.

But enough about us! We know that plenty of you have been getting to know Persona 4 Golden over the past week. What’s your favorite quest so far? Any particular character tickling your fancy? Drop your thoughts in the comments below – we’re curious!

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Gorvi on December 5th, 2012 at 9:35 am said:

I’d love to be playing it, but my order from the SonyStyle store (bought with credit card points) has been an absolute nightmare. Ordered 3 weeks before release and now two weeks after release and it’s still on back order with no possible update in sight. By far the worst customer service experience I’ve ever had.

Once I finally get it, though, I’m sure I’ll love it just as much as everyone else.

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on December 5th, 2012 at 9:36 am said:

I’m glad the Vita has such a highly-rated game, but never in my life have I ever understood what’s so appealing about JRPGs.

+ MakoSOLIDER on December 5th, 2012 at 9:42 am said:

I’d love to be playing it….but my mom took my Vita. Was getting so good too

+ ProfessorAnatil on December 5th, 2012 at 9:42 am said:

@2 That’s really simple, it’s an RPG.

+ Teflon02 on December 5th, 2012 at 9:43 am said:

I have it, I never played persona til this and THIS GAME IS AMAZING!!
My Mission for Yu is to get Chie :)
my reason for this is simple, Nao is way too masculine :p and both Rise and Yukiko are typical type of girls. Personally in real life I like unique type of giels so I Say why can’t Yu have good taste too :p. Love this game though so far, so far I’ve been playing some of the best RPG’s I’ve played and imo PSP and Vita have been the homes of some of the greatest, But Persona, this game fits to perfect for the PS Vita, I can’t even imagine playing or wanna dear playing on a console, I just prey Persona 5 will be on PS Vita when released *wink wink* :D

+ erapago on December 5th, 2012 at 9:44 am said:

Best game I’ve played that’s come out of Japan in a very long time. Any chance we will get a patch to support native resolution (like the Persona Compendium and Analysis models)?

Robyn Mukai's Avatar

+ Robyn Mukai on December 5th, 2012 at 11:48 am said:

Hi erapago we don’t have any patches planned at this time.

+ Tjoeb123 on December 5th, 2012 at 9:46 am said:

@4 He meant JRPGs.

@2 A lot of things, actually. To put it simply, JRPGs have good stories, well-developed characters, a good battle system, decent graphics, and more, wheras WRPGs……don’t. Not saying Skyrim is bad or anything, but I think JRPGs are still better.

And then, there were JRPGs in which all the characters are hot girls…*cough*Hyperdimension Neptunia*cough*

Robyn Mukai's Avatar

+ Robyn Mukai on December 5th, 2012 at 11:31 am said:

Thanks for stepping in there! you took the words right out of my mouth!

+ Zookey on December 5th, 2012 at 9:47 am said:

I’m not usually a Shin Megami Tensei guy but I pre-ordered it because everyone and their dog said it rocked. Glad I did–it’s like an anime you interact with! I love how the characters have a very real feel to them and that building social links isn’t based on tepidly-written stuff, you actually feel like you’re getting more involved in other people’s problems/lives.

Weird part is, if you describe P4′s parts (going to school, doing social stuff, randomly generated dungeons)–it could sound kinda weird or boring–but when you actually play it the quality of the writing, the slick presentation and hecticly fun battles make it crazy addictive ;-)

+ Tjoeb123 on December 5th, 2012 at 9:48 am said:

@6 Wait, the game doesn’t have native resolution? Lol fail.

Haven’t played the game yet (on either system), but will be in the next few days, but what exactly are the “Persona Compendium” and “Analysis models”?

+ MakoSOLIDER on December 5th, 2012 at 9:48 am said:

Its also my first Persona game and I luv it! When can we expect Persona 5?

Robyn Mukai's Avatar

+ Robyn Mukai on December 5th, 2012 at 11:46 am said:

Sometime between now and the release of Persona 6 ;) Thanks for your interest!

+ andremal on December 5th, 2012 at 9:51 am said:

Extremely good game. I played some of P3P but this is much improved. Great addition to the Vita stable.

Robyn Mukai's Avatar

+ Robyn Mukai on December 5th, 2012 at 11:33 am said:

Glad you are enjoying!

+ ProfessorAnatil on December 5th, 2012 at 9:51 am said:

@7 I know but my point is that it is an RPG, that is the only reason most RPG fans need to play it. It’s been my experience that most people who don’t care for the more involved storytelling, or crazy humor such as NISA games, etc) that is common in JRPGs are people who don’t really care for RPGs of any sort that much to begin with, be it WRPG or JRPG, and typically prefer games more like CoD, Madden or Need for Speed.

+ infamousXX87XX on December 5th, 2012 at 9:53 am said:

I picked up last week and loving every minute of it. It’s one of the reasons I bought a Vita

Robyn Mukai's Avatar

+ Robyn Mukai on December 5th, 2012 at 12:03 pm said:

Thank you!

+ Zookey on December 5th, 2012 at 9:54 am said:

@9 I’m not sure what Analysis Models is (if I unlocked it, I haven’t used it yet). However, whenever you get a Persona or make one, it becomes registered in the Persona Compendium. It’s basically a bestiary of all the Personas you’ve ever had. You can pay money to re-summon a persona you previously had if you want to re-fuse it with something else.

+ spoonTRex on December 5th, 2012 at 9:55 am said:

@Gorvi, I know how you feel. I went to BestBuy to pick up my pre-order, and it wasn’t in. I was informed no copy would be coming in for at least a week. They then refunded my order (without me asking) and sent me to buy it online. I got the game two days later, but I missed out on my pre-order bonuses. :(

Loving the game. Haven’t gotten too far into it, but I’ve been enjoying the game like crazy. Fsteaks!

+ Motion_Blue on December 5th, 2012 at 9:56 am said:

Persona series is amazing, I’m glad this is reaching new players. All we need now is Persona 5, and P4A on the vita ;)

I wish Disgaea 4 would be ported to the Vita too.

+ ProfessorAnatil on December 5th, 2012 at 10:01 am said:

@8 and 14 Don’t forget, though I’m sure most of you know this already, but when they are added to the compendium that they have the default level and stats but when you register them manually, which is only an option if they have changed from default, then you can re-summon a Persona and it will be as it was when you registered manually. Good option to have in case you need it to make another Persona for whatever reason like a request for Margaret for example.

+ AriesWarlock on December 5th, 2012 at 10:02 am said:

This will be one of the first games I get when I get a Vita. I need to know, how do you backup individual save files?

+ sagohichi on December 5th, 2012 at 10:05 am said:

I absolutely love this game. I have been using almost entire my free time to play it for last 10 days.. and still don’t see how the story would end. I got first silver trophy about 50% persona collection last night. It means I am not colse to the ending, right?
It’s a massive game and very fun to play. I probably feel sad when I need to say good bye to people in Inaba-cho.

+ bldudas on December 5th, 2012 at 10:11 am said:

I love Persona 4 Golden. It, along with Project Diva f, are my favorite games on my Vita.

I just love everything about the game.

+ erapago on December 5th, 2012 at 10:20 am said:

@9

The models you see when using the Persona Compedium in the Velvet Room (provides stat/background information on Personas) and when you analyse an enemy in battle are rendered at native resolution. Nothing else is, other than the UI.

+ Tjoeb123 on December 5th, 2012 at 10:22 am said:

@18

Simple. After you update your System Software to the latest version, go to Settings>PlayStation Network>Automatic Update Settings, check Update Automatically, and check what you want to occur automatically.

Then, go to Content Manager>Online Storage>PS Vita System–>Online Storage, check the boxes of each save data you want to upload, and tap Copy. Additionally, tap the “i” by each save if you want to enable Automatic Upload for that game/application. Note that if you have a Game Card copy of a game that saves on the Card itself (NOT the Memory Card), you must have it inserted to up/download its save data.

+ AeroZeroX on December 5th, 2012 at 10:26 am said:

I wanna finish P3P before I start P4G but can’t wait to play the Midnight Trivia Miracle Quiz! This game looks like it’ll easily see me into the New Year :)

+ therealagent81 on December 5th, 2012 at 10:29 am said:

To me, this is the Vita’s Killer App. The one thing this portable console generation is missing is a great JRPG and I feel the Vita has beat the 3DS to the punch by brining this game into its library. I have only played Persona 3 on my PS3 recently and after seeing the Persona 4 Anime, I am really eager to get my hands on a Vita this holiday. If I don’t get one for Chirstmas, then I will be more then happy to go out and buy one the very next day :).

+ xClayMeow on December 5th, 2012 at 10:32 am said:

So I see a few people have stated this is their first Persona game and love it, but what about if you’ve never gotten into the JRPG genre, what then? I do enjoy WRPGs (Elder Scrolls series, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect, etc.), and I did enjoy the stories, characters and relationships in DAO and ME, but I’m it’s not something I typically care about, those games just happened to be well-crafted.

+ Kazriko on December 5th, 2012 at 10:33 am said:

@22: That only works with Playstation Plus though.

@18: You can plug in with a USB cable to either a PC or PS3. On the PC you need to install the content mananger, it should explain how when you plug it in. Once you have that installed, you can also sync up wirelessly. You just copy the app up to the content manager on the Vita, and if you ever lose it you can restore the data the same way. Else you can get Playstation Plus and follow @22′s advice.

+ xClayMeow on December 5th, 2012 at 10:34 am said:

@22, though I wasn’t the one who asked, I wanted to thank you for that detailed description. I just got my Vita and was wondering how to tell what’s saved where because I just got a 16GB card (compared to the 4GB card I got with the system) and would like to transfer Uncharted to it and not lose my progress. Now I know how to get my save to the cloud! Thanks!

+ U_P_S on December 5th, 2012 at 10:41 am said:

Please release an update to add folders on PSVIta! Also I plan on buying this game reviews are great and it looks like the RPG that my Vita needs.

+ Frigaku on December 5th, 2012 at 10:44 am said:

I don’t like dating sims. I loved persona 2 btw.

+ Tjoeb123 on December 5th, 2012 at 10:51 am said:

@26 He (@18) has a PS+ membership already, just like you and me. That’s why I didn’t put that in my post. Though, I do wish there was a way everyone could copy individual saves (and NOT gigs upon gigs of games) to our PCs without having to become PS+ members.

Anyway, getting back on topic, can’t wait to play some P4G on my B-day!!

+ Tjoeb123 on December 5th, 2012 at 10:53 am said:

@27 You’re welcome, though if you’re transferring from card-to-card, I recommend backing up the old memory card and restoring it to the new one (but SYNC TROPHIES FIRST), which can also be done in Content Manager to either a PS3 or PC.

+ Andrefpvs on December 5th, 2012 at 10:56 am said:

Game of the year, folks, no hyperbole here! Do yourself a favour and get this magnificent game!

+ mckg123456789 on December 5th, 2012 at 10:59 am said:

Got my copy already! FREAKING AMAZING ! Love it! Cannot wait for the next installment ;) (hopefully for the psvita down the line).

+ Gadirok on December 5th, 2012 at 11:05 am said:

“Persona 4 Golden is PS Vita’s Top-Rated Game”.

That’s because it deserves it. We need more games like this on the vita.

+ Pharsti- on December 5th, 2012 at 11:10 am said:

@25 Well, what do you mean by ‘not gotten into’ JRPGs? Was there some gameplay element that you didn’t enjoy, or did you simply not find one that appealed to you?

When you get down to it, Persona 4 is JRPG to the core, so if you didn’t enjoy (for example) turn-based combat, Persona probably won’t change your mind in that regard.

On the other hand, Persona 4 is a masterfully crafted game that ties so many seperate elements together into something greater than the sum of its parts.Like @8 said, each part on its own doesn’t sound all the special, but when you bring them all together, you really get a deep, engrossing experience.

If you didn’t like JRPGs because they’re JRPGs, then Persona 4 probably isn’t the game for you.

If, however, you just never found one that really caught your attention, then Persona 4 might be the single best place to get started. Its an excellent game, and in my opinion, one of the best JRPGs ever made.

+ xAnZeLx on December 5th, 2012 at 11:24 am said:

a Vita game that play as traditional control like a PSP gets such a high rated…
seems like non of reviewer really care about Vita special features huh…

+ BlueBl1zzard on December 5th, 2012 at 11:26 am said:

@AriesWarlock, Kazriko, Tjoeb123, xClayMeow, I have the save data transfer idea already submitted on PSBlog.Share. Please vote if you would like to see it happen!

On the subject of Persona, that’s quite an accomplishment especially for a game that has only been out for two weeks. So congratulations Atlus, you guys deserve it! I still never picked this up yet, I still gotta finish P3P but I’m loving so far.

+ ImaFREEZEtheRoom on December 5th, 2012 at 11:26 am said:

Not knowing what I was gettting in to, I took a risk(?) by purchasing this game. 10 hours in so far, but im loving it. Its the first type of game of its type I have ever played. I purchased it because of popularity, people saying , “only reason I bought a Vita” made me take that risk in purchasing this game. I feel like sometimes I get lucky when killing the bigger shadows because I get my butt whooped plenty.

+ saskamazon on December 5th, 2012 at 11:32 am said:

can hardly wait to play this ! I had to have a few items available for my Christmas wishlist, so am hoping it’s under the tree Christmas a.m. …. if not, I’ll be buying it myself …. the clips look great & I really enjoyed Devil Survivor Overclocked, so am thinking this will be equally as enjoyable, if not more so …. Atlus & SMT are great, it’s little wonder they receive such critical acclaim ….

+ angibri2000 on December 5th, 2012 at 11:57 am said:

Been a bit busy lately but I def. want to get P4G. I’ve never played any Persona game but really want to start and I know P4G is the best place to start. =)

+ Tjoeb123 on December 5th, 2012 at 12:01 pm said:

@36 Oh god, such a cute Avatar….Where can I find it (on PSN), good sir/madam?

+ KrisButtar on December 5th, 2012 at 12:01 pm said:

as a new vita owner, i want this title as i have heard some many great things about it, i just find it hard to justify spending 49.99 plus tax (which is 15% here) on a portable game, so i can flyers and websites as im looking for the sale and i will find one

+ tusunami on December 5th, 2012 at 12:05 pm said:

This is great to hear for the PS Vita, I hope more upscale games can come for the PS Vita. Just think of what can happen when the platform gets 3rd party support that’s been eluding the system.

+ KrisButtar on December 5th, 2012 at 12:06 pm said:

sorry 39.99

+ TuRDleFaRMeReR on December 5th, 2012 at 12:25 pm said:

Is it a glitch that voice clips don’t play in dungeons? They play in the Japanese version.

+ LarsenNET on December 5th, 2012 at 12:28 pm said:

Will the PSP port of P2: Eternal Punishment ever come to the states.

+ Zoidzerg on December 5th, 2012 at 12:29 pm said:

As someone who dislikes anime convention generally, should I stay clear of P4G? Or is there actually enough story and character for me to overlook that?

Beyond that, always good to hear about well rated titles on the Vita (even if they are not my cup of tea). I have always felt that RPGs (JRPG, WRPG, whateverRPG) should be a staple genre of handhelds. It just, seems more at home there somehow? *shrug*

+ blackiemist88 on December 5th, 2012 at 12:29 pm said:

i really wish i could get into this game but the one thing that drives me away from most JRPG’s is the fact that they are not action RPG’s i hate the fact that i cant control the actions of my character..but im glad this game is doing good…nothing but good news for us Vita owners

+ D-Squad3 on December 5th, 2012 at 12:40 pm said:

All the more reason to bring a Persona character into PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale!!!

+ GP-02A-MLRS on December 5th, 2012 at 1:17 pm said:

well, it’s a great game. But on the other hand, the top rate vita game is a re-make version…………We need more high quality “new” games. Looking forward to SS and that gundam game next year.

PAGE 1 2 3