PS4 - Destiny

PlayStation Blogcast 054: Suddenly Sessler

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Dec 07, 2012 // Social Media Manager

Subscription Links

• Download the MP3 here on PS3, PS Vita or PC (Right-Click->Save As)

I know, I know, I’m running behind this week. That said, there is a pretty good reason why. Sadly, there’s no BioShock Infinite coverage on today’s show — you’ll just have to make do with special guest Adam Sessler! The Sess is a household name among gamers nationwide thanks to his long run with G4, and now he’s got a new project that he’s dying to tell you all about. Adam also shares his thoughts on The Last of Us, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, and what it was like to throw out every single game box he owned when he relocated to San Francisco.

Then we catch up with Sony Santa Monica Studio’s Todd Papy, game director on God of War: Ascension for an inside look at the game’s long-gestating multiplayer mode. Todd also explains why single-player combat will never be the same due to the addition of what he dubs “the Fun Button.” Provocative stuff! Then we shift gears to the real PlayStation All-Stars, SuperBot‘s Omar Kendall and Santa Monica Studio’s Seth Killian, to discuss what’s next for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale. We delve into the play styles of Kat and Emmett, the next two characters coming our way in early 2013, then wax philosophic about the empty feeling that comes with finishing a big game.

Of course, you’ll get your PSN fix with next week’s North American lineup, plus an assortment of new Listener Queries, Player Tips and voice mails. Not a bad show, if I do say so myself — but let us know how we can do better in the comments!

Send us questions and tips: blogcast@playstation.sony.com

Official PlayStation.Blogcast - Sid ShumanOfficial PlayStation.Blogcast - Nick SuttnerSesslerOfficial PlayStation.Blogcast: Aram Jabbari

Official PlayStation Blogcast: Omar KendallOfficial PlayStation Blogcast: Todd PapyOfficial PlayStation Blogcast: Seth Killian

The Cast

PAGE 1 2

+ Gorvi on December 7th, 2012 at 11:54 am said:

Great show guys! It was nice having the 2 hour podcast. I tried using the code you gave out on my Vita right when I got to work this morning but it was already used up. :( That’s what I get for listening on my drive in.

+ hrcrowley on December 7th, 2012 at 11:59 am said:

Smashig show gents! And 2 (!) PS+ games on Monday?…awesome! PS+ could certainly use more publicity; keep it up!

+ LeeorV on December 7th, 2012 at 12:02 pm said:

I take it my Tweet helped remind you guys that you needed to post this? :-)

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on December 7th, 2012 at 1:30 pm said:

Sorry, was up all night playing BioShock Infinite in L.A. The things I have to do…

+ Kchow23 on December 7th, 2012 at 12:04 pm said:

Really great episode and thank you for the code! Will be picking up All-stars once my backlog starts to die down :)

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on December 7th, 2012 at 1:31 pm said:

Glad you liked it – be sure to let us know what you think of PSASBR

+ Velmonte on December 7th, 2012 at 12:20 pm said:

Please work on PS.Blog.Share, it’s nearly 2 months (since Oct.15) that Not a single new idea have been published.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on December 7th, 2012 at 1:31 pm said:

Interesting. I’ll investigate when I’m back in the office

+ vongruetz on December 7th, 2012 at 12:32 pm said:

So am I to understand then that Jeff was NOT a dad? He always talked of his family and never having time to play games. I figured the obvious conclusion was he a had a munchkin running around the house.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on December 7th, 2012 at 1:32 pm said:

Oh, he’s a dad. I think he still likes to imagine himself as a happening young dude, when by all measures he’s a full-blown family man :)

+ toru248okada on December 7th, 2012 at 12:32 pm said:

Thanks for asking my question! (@DrFatsides). I hadn’t even thought of it but Sess is right, a game like Journey on the Vita would be really great!

+ Bcrazyman on December 7th, 2012 at 1:04 pm said:

really cant wait till the new week comes!
hey SID ? do you know what we are getting next week?
need to know thanks!
and great show cant wait till listen to it!

+ dragonmagician on December 7th, 2012 at 1:04 pm said:

Code used up already? I was like, how is that possible…I guess the blogcast was posted on itunes before it was posted on the PS blog.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on December 7th, 2012 at 1:38 pm said:

You know what? Ask and ye shall receive. Here is another code for the All-Stars pre-order costumes, good for 500 uses: K3KR-C5N2-D3DP (North America users only)

+ CBas92 on December 7th, 2012 at 1:10 pm said:

@dragonmagician: I’m certain that’s what happened. Very disappointing. I was definitely looking forward to those costumes.

+ thebiglouie on December 7th, 2012 at 1:20 pm said:

Yeah, the blogcast was posted on iTunes and RSS at around 5pm yesterday. The code stopped working at around 7pm last night.

+ Darth-Krayt on December 7th, 2012 at 1:24 pm said:

Damn, I would have liked a code. Would have pushed me to buy the game.

+ Bcrazyman on December 7th, 2012 at 1:42 pm said:

HEY SID! ANY WORD YOU KNOW ABOUT WHAT WEEK ARE GETTING NEXT WEEK!
PS+ MEMBERS! NEED TO KNOW OK! THANKS SID!

+ Bcrazyman on December 7th, 2012 at 1:46 pm said:

HEY ADAM! ON THE SHOW SWEET!
U SHOULD HAVE HIM PART OF THE PLAYSTATION BLOG CAST!
HES REALLY GOOD AND HE CAN GAME ALSO!

+ RickDanto on December 7th, 2012 at 1:47 pm said:

Psst

Can one of you red guys ask Omar or Seth about possibly implementing a spectator mode for All-Stars in the future? Would be awesome for streaming.

+ Bcrazyman on December 7th, 2012 at 1:48 pm said:

NEED TO KNOW!
ARE WE GETTING (1OR2) GAMESE FOR PLAYSTATION+ MEMBERS?
NEED TO KNOW THANKS! SID! GREAT SHOW OK THANKS!

+ BlueBl1zzard on December 7th, 2012 at 1:52 pm said:

What you guys got Adam Sessler on the show!? Now I definitely gotta hear this!

+ RickDanto on December 7th, 2012 at 1:54 pm said:

Also, Adam appeared on this PlayStation blogcast.

Adam is now part of PlayStation history.

Adam for All-Stars DLC character. But not before online spectating.

+ dragonmagician on December 7th, 2012 at 1:55 pm said:

Thanks Sid!! And here I was thinking how it’s possible that visiting the blog for the blogcast is actually less disadvantageous to people using iTunes or RSS. But you come along and provide a solution for us!

I’m glad that I revisited to see your reply though, since we don’t get email notice.

And I actually did pre-order the game, it’s just that BestBuy in Canada didn’t have the pre-order bonus. Now everything is right in the world!

+ BlueBl1zzard on December 7th, 2012 at 1:56 pm said:

And thanks for the code!

+ Ryumoau on December 7th, 2012 at 2:10 pm said:

sounds like next week’s psn release will be very weak. I hope we at least get a good ps plus discount on good games at least.

Glad to hear we get two free game next monday, but judging from Sony’s previous track record they will most likely both be $5 psn titles. :/

+ Darth-Krayt on December 7th, 2012 at 2:16 pm said:

And if my voice matters on the kind of games I’d like to be playing on my Vita, I’d LOVE to play the classic Arcade style beat’em ups already on PSN, ported to Vita.

Even if they’re not cross-buy, I’d gladly pay $10 again to have the X-Men Arcade Game or The Simpsons Arcade Game (though I got that for free, thanks Plus) on my Vita. They would be easy ports too. I don’t want any fancy touch screen controls or anything. Castle Crashers would be amazing on Vita as well, especially if it had cross-saves and cross-platform play between Vita and PS3 online.

If KONAMI wants to make some nice money on PSN on both PS3 and Vita, tell them to release the original TMNT Arcade Games on PSN as well. The Simpson, X-Men and TMNT 1-3 (or 4) on my Vita would be a gaming dream come true.

This kind of game is perfect for Vita, which is why I can’t wait for “The game formerly known as Dragon’s Crown” (I don’t remember the new name).

+ Darth-Krayt on December 7th, 2012 at 2:23 pm said:

Oh, and Thanks. That new code is still working as of 520 EST. The pre-order costumes are a big plus towards me getting the game. As soon as I have the extra $, I’ll be buying for sure.

I also have a question about upcoming blog posts. I’ve been waiting for a post I could ask this and it not be off-topic. Are there any posts scheduled with/by developers of either Guardians of Middle-Earth or the upcoming release (I think this coming week or next) of the console version of WWE WrestleFest?

+ Heavenly_king on December 7th, 2012 at 2:27 pm said:

thx for the code :D

+ SXEZSKOZ on December 7th, 2012 at 2:46 pm said:

i am a sucker for alternate costumes in a fighter, thanks!

+ Dantes_Ragnarok on December 7th, 2012 at 2:49 pm said:

thanks a lot for the code :D
MGS2 Raiden <3

+ SephirothItachi- on December 7th, 2012 at 3:26 pm said:

Feed me Sessler!! Nice title, love Little Shop of Horrors.

+ Nerroth on December 7th, 2012 at 3:37 pm said:

Good to hear “Aram Jabbari’s Persona 4 Golden” get more of a mention!

I’m starting to get the feeling that ongoing feedback on the game will be more of a marathon than a sprint; since it will likely take plenty more time to chip away at the title while not being pulled this way and that from so many other games on the horizon, it will take longer for its full impact to really land… more so for those who, like myself, missed out on the PS2 version last time around.

(Or, at least, that’s what I’m hoping will happen.)

+ dustyjack_ on December 7th, 2012 at 3:40 pm said:

Problem Playing Media
You may need to update your browser or update your Flash plugin or the media format may be unsupported by this player.

The playstation blog should be compatible with the ps3 browser.

+ EP-Dragon on December 7th, 2012 at 4:11 pm said:

Seems I missed the code train :/ sounds like a great podcast. I’ll give it a listen once I’m home.

I’m wondering, though, if you guys will be having any blogposts tonight with VGA ten coming on. Any word on that?

+ Yogidestro2 on December 7th, 2012 at 4:18 pm said:

You hate me! I always miss out on these promo thingers, working second shift and what not. I don’t even get home until 11 pm EST.

@23 good to see that people that don’t own the game have these costumes…

Is there any way we will be seeing these costumes come out as purchasable DLC? I have this money I would really like to give you….

+ blakseed on December 7th, 2012 at 5:03 pm said:

Crap! I wonder how many people used the codes that don’t even have the game lol. Oh well, good show, and it was good hearing from the Sess.

+ Thirty3Three on December 7th, 2012 at 5:12 pm said:

I think the PlayStation All-Stars preorderers deserve some form of compensation. Maybe letting us grab Kat and Emmett a week or 2 early? I don’t think that’s too much to ask for…

Think about it. They’re releasing the costume codes for everybody to use. 2nd day in a row, and possibly tomorrow, the next day, etc!

They should provide the preorderers with a NEW set of costumes, (or the Kat and Emmett DLC, early, as stated) which the rest of the community gets later, and has to pay for (by ‘pay for’, I mean the costumes.)

I payed extra so I could get the costumes (online, shipping, etc), I think we (the preorderers) deserve something more now, especially since the preorder costumes are FREE for non-preorderers.

+ blakseed on December 7th, 2012 at 5:15 pm said:

@33

Woah. It’s not that serious. They’re just costumes.

+ Thirty3Three on December 7th, 2012 at 5:20 pm said:

@34,

It just seems a bit of a punch-in-the-face to those who actually had preordered. I HAD to pay extra, we don’t have any ‘in-store pickup’ preorder places where I live.

Those who hadn’t preordered should have access to the costumes, but only about 3 or 4 months later, and beyond. And to make the ‘punch-to-the-face’ even more painful for us who actually had preordered, not only do the non-preorderers get it ‘free’, but also only like 2 weeks later. It’s pretty unfair if you ask me.

And I don’t think I’m asking for much with the whole, “getting Kat and Emmett one or two weeks early” deal.

+ Yogidestro2 on December 7th, 2012 at 5:21 pm said:

@33 First off, how appropriate that your comment is number 33 as is your handle…

As far as your gripe goes, pre-ordering the game does not mean paying extra so your arguement is largely invalid. If I were to purchase the game now online, I would have to pay those “extra” shipping costs as well, should I recieve all of the pre-order bonuses too? You recieved those costumes as a thank you for buying into the game early, for putting faith in a product not released to the public yet. Complaining about a company giving away something for free is not the direction we should be going, we should be thanking them.

+ Thirty3Three on December 7th, 2012 at 6:00 pm said:

@36

Yeah, Pretty sweet, huh?

And for me, personally, I had to preorder online. I couldn’t preorder in-shop. I don’t have any shops within the town that hold preorders. (I live in a tiny town).

And I am thankful. I just think the code should had been for the preorderer’s only. Then, after a month or two, they could upload them to the store, and put a 99c price mark on them.

+ Thirty3Three on December 7th, 2012 at 6:01 pm said:

Continued…

Because, as of right now, there’s really no difference between preorderers and non-preorderers.

+ TXCScorpion on December 7th, 2012 at 6:23 pm said:

There was no difference between the two in the first place aside from the codes anyway. It’s not like they’re going to give codes out daily now either, they gave the code on the podcast which went on itunes yesterday and made up for it by allowing those who frequent the site instead of using an outside outlet the chance to get what they had promised. These surely are only being given out due to Superbot guesting the show so it makes sense to send a little love to the faithful listeners. In the end the costumes will be dlc anyway and it won’t matter at all then.

+ Thirty3Three on December 7th, 2012 at 7:23 pm said:

39:

Said the funniest person in the room…

+ TERMINATOR543 on December 7th, 2012 at 8:10 pm said:

Adam Sessler? Really? Ugh, I hated this guy when he was on G4. Today he seems to be quite popular in the industry so I just hope that a lot of stuff he did on that joke of a show was just to get paid. Better him than that Blair guy though. Which what am I saying, I can’t stand hardly any game critics anyway. But alright, I will give him another chance. In the meantime, Sid, keep poping out some All-Star pre-order costume codes XD

+ D-Squad3 on December 7th, 2012 at 8:20 pm said:

ADAM FREAKING SESSLER!!! Great to have him as a guest, have him come back!!!

+ clupula668 on December 7th, 2012 at 8:24 pm said:

Man, I wish there was a new code for those of who had stuff to do today.

+ Undrey on December 7th, 2012 at 8:33 pm said:

Holy! Nick looks weird as heck without a beard (in his PixelJunk Eden review).

Do you know if God of War has local coop?

+ grzajabarkus on December 7th, 2012 at 9:20 pm said:

I’m a little disappointed that my Preorder Code from Gamestop only unlocked the ps3 version. Now everyone who doesnt have the game can use these past few codes for costumes to a game they dont even own. Sid you need to get Superbot to really comment on the status of the issue, or find out if they can possible send emails out to those who preordered, and have the code to work for ps3. Because I dont even want to touch it on vita now, since my Parappa costumes is the space one on ps3, and I cant use it for my vita. Ugggh. Not fair at all. And not even gamestop will bother helping.

+ BillyBoiDaPrince on December 8th, 2012 at 5:09 am said:

can we get another costume code for all stars please i bought the game on the 20th but i didnt get the pre order costume and i bought it before the store updated.

+ mattachoo212 on December 8th, 2012 at 6:18 am said:

hopefully the chance for another code comes around again at some point. this is a really fun game

+ Jdudley15479 on December 8th, 2012 at 1:27 pm said:

Awesome I made it on the podcast with my tip! Thank you, I hope people take advantage of it :) Quick question though, and something I realized after I told my friend and he mentioned it, don’t the users who submit a tip usually get a game from PSN or some sort of “incentive”? Again, I didn’t even remember that until my friend asked me what free games they gave away this week. I personally don’t really care, I’m just excited I made it on the podcast after listening to it for so long!

+ Pabloo1010 on December 8th, 2012 at 10:55 pm said:

Barely made the first page in a blogcast post, well that’s a 1st. These sure are getting popular lol.

P.S. PS Plus’s official tagline should be “The best deal in gaming” cuz everyone says it.

+ gundam08thteam on December 9th, 2012 at 11:11 am said:

Good to hear from u Adam, Thank You for hosting X PLAY when u was There.

PAGE 1 2