PS4 - Transistor

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas PS2 Classic Hits PlayStation Store Today

R*Q's Avatar + Posted by R*Q on Dec 11, 2012 //

We’d like to let all PlayStation fans know that Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is coming to PlayStation Store as a ‘PS2 Classic’ in today’s update. That means you can revisit the cities of Los Santos, San Fierro and Las Venturas, as well as the surrounding countryside and mountains, exactly as they appeared on the PlayStation 2 back in 2004, on your PS3.

To help you prepare we’ve raided our archives for a video called ‘The Introduction’. This 20-minute prologue video highlights the action in the days before the story in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas begins. The Introduction is told from various characters’ viewpoints, which are intertwined together to reveal the network of organized crime forces operating throughout the state of San Andreas. Tension builds as threats are carried out, stakes are raised and communication breaks down. In Los Santos, a drive-by shooting in Grove Street Family’s territory ignites a series of events to be further explored in the game.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas hits PlayStation Store today for $14.99 / €14.99 / £11.99.

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ Wario64 on December 11th, 2012 at 2:29 pm said:

Why isn’t it $10?

+ Jose_64 on December 11th, 2012 at 2:31 pm said:

14.99$? WTF?

+ Tykittaa on December 11th, 2012 at 2:31 pm said:

Where’s Vice City?

+ Nevi901 on December 11th, 2012 at 2:31 pm said:

It’s $15. What’s stopping me for getting it cheaper someplace else rather than this overpriced file on my ps3? Try a lower price.

R*Q's Avatar

+ R*Q on December 11th, 2012 at 3:51 pm said:

Hey guys, we hear the feedback on the pricing and would like to point out that the price point on PlayStation Store is consistent with digital versions of San Andreas everywhere. We hope those of you who pick it up enjoy heading back to Grove Street.

+ Ryumoau on December 11th, 2012 at 2:32 pm said:

$14.99 for an old ps2 game? I’m sorry but if you aren’t willing to bother remaking it in HD or adding trophies, it should be $9.99 like all the other PS2 classics released so far.

+ freshprincepbg on December 11th, 2012 at 2:34 pm said:

Agreed with Ryumoau

I would’ve bought it if it was in HD or had trophies but just a re-release for $14.99? No thanks

+ duke301 on December 11th, 2012 at 2:36 pm said:

I agree with other posters. I was actually planning on picking this up, but not for $15. I’ll just continue to play GTA III until they decide to get less greedy and charge $10.

+ mike1234flynn on December 11th, 2012 at 2:37 pm said:

That’s such a ripoff, it’s like they know its the best GTA game so they make it cost more. For MONEYYYY!!!

+ Silver-X-one on December 11th, 2012 at 2:45 pm said:

Goddammit i was about to buy this game right now until i saw this outrageous price!, every ps2 classic is 10$ why do you want to charge 15$!!!!

+ tacotaskforce on December 11th, 2012 at 2:47 pm said:

$15 and it isn’t even an HD port like the ipad got for III and VC? Get out.

+ DarkVegaShadow on December 11th, 2012 at 2:49 pm said:

still getting GTA:SA even if its $15 and to let everyone know its also $15 on XBL and on Steam!

+ supvic on December 11th, 2012 at 2:51 pm said:

If it were an HD/3D remake I’d have NO trouble paying $15 or even $30 for this.. but this is identical to the PS2 version, I wouldn’t even pay $5 for this!

might as well just keep playing it on my PS2 and not pay a cent for the exact same thing.

R*Q's Avatar

+ R*Q on December 11th, 2012 at 3:54 pm said:

Hey dude, however you’re doing it it’s great to hear you’re still enjoying the game.

+ TheLittlestBowl on December 11th, 2012 at 2:52 pm said:

$2.99 at EB games.

+ USRevenge2 on December 11th, 2012 at 2:55 pm said:

it be cheaper to buy a ps2 and the game again :|

+ KevCity89 on December 11th, 2012 at 2:56 pm said:

No thanks, been there & done that many times. Think I’ll wait for GTA V, & for 14.99? Your kidding right, LMAO. If anything, release the “Mega Man X” series again. That’s something I would 100% buy-back again :)

+ warcat666 on December 11th, 2012 at 3:02 pm said:

If GTA Vice City and GTA 3 can be released onto my Iphone and Android phone how come they aren’t on my Sony Playstation Vita. Same company stronger unit. Whats up Sony??????

+ ImaFREEZEtheRoom on December 11th, 2012 at 3:12 pm said:

$15 isn’t too much, but I agree with many. It is too much for a PS2 classic.

+ capice2003 on December 11th, 2012 at 3:12 pm said:

Damn somebody is smoking crack ….open gangnam style at the offices there!

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on December 11th, 2012 at 3:12 pm said:

lol @ 15$ never gonna buy it.

+ Andy10003 on December 11th, 2012 at 3:13 pm said:

$15? Sorry, but no. If it was in HD and had Trophy support I would have bought it without a second thought. But all you did was just port in it’s original form with no upgrades whatsoever. Why should I give you my $15 for your version with no enchantments when other companies do ports with HD and Trophy support for the same price?

+ jay12cap on December 11th, 2012 at 3:19 pm said:

Just started the download hey it is what it is.gta baby

R*Q's Avatar

+ R*Q on December 11th, 2012 at 3:56 pm said:

We hope you enjoy heading back to San Andreas.

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on December 11th, 2012 at 3:28 pm said:

Please have a GTA III era HD remake (GTAIII, GTA VC, GTA SA) for PS3/PSN/PSV and GTA Portable HD (GTA CW, GTA LCS, GTA VCS) for PS3/PSN/PSV.

EASY MONEY

After GTAV you could have GTA SAS on PSV exclusively. They need a good game to sell the system and R* could make it happen.

+ IcedTequila on December 11th, 2012 at 3:37 pm said:

Wow R*, way to spread holiday cheer.
R* even pulled this in the same week Vice City drops for $4.99 on Android & ios.
Guess we were naughty this year.

+ KevPC on December 11th, 2012 at 3:38 pm said:

i would buy if it comes for the ps vita :P i know it can handle it

+ Remmulak on December 11th, 2012 at 3:42 pm said:

Make it for the PS Vita and you got a purchase from me.

+ Ghostwize on December 11th, 2012 at 3:54 pm said:

Jeez! Talk about your bunch of uninformed gamers! GTA SA is $14.99 no matter where you get it from. Why would a PS3 version be cheaper?

+ Megadrixfire_24 on December 11th, 2012 at 3:56 pm said:

15$! overpriced, i have only 13 $ on my wallet and im pretty sad i cant download it, but its a big ripoff anyway.
Its an 8 YEAR old game rockstar come on! I just want to play the game to revist the memories of playing it on my ps2, giving you 10$ for a 8 year game which is a lot, that has NO tweaks from the ps2 version is a lot of money to ask for, i would just pirate the game on pc for free!

+ Heatseeker125 on December 11th, 2012 at 3:57 pm said:

They will probably lower the price to $10 later but might as well reel in the suckers who are willing to pay $15 right now.

+ Ghostwize on December 11th, 2012 at 3:59 pm said:

Oh! Does the digital version still have the weird ass co op?

+ Megadrixfire_24 on December 11th, 2012 at 4:00 pm said:

@11 its 11.24 $ in steam.

+ TheUndertaker85 on December 11th, 2012 at 4:00 pm said:

Thanks for getting GTA:SA out on PSN. I won’t complain about the price because as #26 said San Andreas digitally is $14.99 normally everywhere else.

However I do hope San Andreas is considered for the HD treatment down the road. Being able to play in HD and gain trophies in the process would get me to play through San Andreas again seriously. I’ve always hoped that custom soundtrack support would be added to the PS3 versions as well plus 3D support for a better experience than we had before.

Seriously. Base jumping in 3D would be awesome.

+ Chuckbait on December 11th, 2012 at 4:00 pm said:

$15, eh?

True GTA fans would prefer Vice City, and hopefully that is why you skipped the game. Yes, an HD release of Vice City with improved aiming (sound familar, ios?) is what we want, but not for $15.

Pointing out that the $15 price point is the same for all digital versions of this doesn’t matter. The real reason that this and all the other versions cost $15 is obviously because Rockstar thinks people are willing to pay that much. And of course the customers will prove them right. Any complaints would be pointless… just don’t buy the game. Playing GTA: San Andreas in 2012 will show you how aged this game is.

Having said that, I can’t wait for GTA V, but i would be greatly disappointed if we don’t get an HD Vice City.

+ Dookykong on December 11th, 2012 at 4:15 pm said:

@5 I Approve your message, Resident evil 4 came with crappy trophies but it had some so it was worth the price. if this was cross-buy would have got on it but i’ll pass nice try!

+ allnewfie on December 11th, 2012 at 4:15 pm said:

wow i love this game back in the day but there is no way in hell i would pay 15 bucks for it, not unless it was playable on the vita. i think like most comments here that this over priced!!

+ fede01_8 on December 11th, 2012 at 4:27 pm said:

Mass Effect (2007) just came out for the PS3 and they had to basically redising the game engine and audio . Same with Killzone. They are both 15 bucks. Think about it

+ Dharos on December 11th, 2012 at 4:33 pm said:

I love GTA, but like many here I’m just gonna wait for a price drop or some PS+ deal.

+ retro25 on December 11th, 2012 at 4:35 pm said:

I have that game for PS2 and it rocks, please get GTA Vice City next for people who likes that game ;) .

+ LilSquidward on December 11th, 2012 at 4:43 pm said:

Maybe this time I will finally beat the game…

+ JohnnyRealDeep on December 11th, 2012 at 4:51 pm said:

Oh man how AWESOME!!! Yea $15 is a nominal fee for a game I already own BUT my ps2 broke months ago and it’s going to cost way more then $15 to fix it. So back to Grove St. I go after I finish beating GTA3! Thanks everyone at R* and Sony who made these classics hits available again!

+ mcbuttz78 on December 11th, 2012 at 5:01 pm said:

will this work on ps vita. a few ps classics do like silentt hill, tomb raider.

+ chrisbear2009 on December 11th, 2012 at 5:04 pm said:

Hey Rockstar,

the whole GTA Series on PS2 belongs to the PUREST classic gems in gaming history.

I absolutely do not understand you release the PS2 titles in this form ….. without any HD-treatment…. I am kind of speechless.

Great game though….

+ JohnnyRealDeep on December 11th, 2012 at 5:07 pm said:

I see that most people complaining about the price are PS+ members. Why would you complain about $15 when you spent $50 on NOTHING except the chance to get discounts on games that aren’t great. And you get the discount on the games because you already gave PS Store $50! Maybe if you would have been smarter with your money you would still have some dollars to buy one of the greatest games of all time. Stuck on a deserted island with one game king great game. Put some thought behind what you’re buying and hopefully, HOPEFULLY, you’ll be able to see what kind of deal you’re getting.

P.S. Yes with PS+ you get 60min game trials but you have to DL the full game which takes longer then 60mins to DL typically so what are you really getting? a chance to sit for 2hrs to only actually get to play one hour then realize you didnt even get the chance to really progress in the game… yeah…

+ Axecution on December 11th, 2012 at 5:07 pm said:

yo sick standard def not-even-upscaled price bro

EVERYBODY: Get the Steam version! You can get it in HD, and with mods too. Just saying. I promise your computer can run it; my 2006 macbook can run it perfectly.

+ Justp94 on December 11th, 2012 at 5:08 pm said:

The only way I’d spend $14.99 on a PS2 game is if it had HD Remastered visuals and Trophy Support. And since this isn’t the case, I’ll just save $14.99 for when I’ll really need it… in the spring for GTA V! Saving money for the spring is important :)

+ Axecution on December 11th, 2012 at 5:08 pm said:

@JohnnyRealDeep

Lol sorry cant read your comment too busy playing my ludicrously massive amount of really good free games that you payed 60 dollars for. Just beat Bioshock 2 today actually haha

+ abarriosvaldez on December 11th, 2012 at 5:17 pm said:

I would totally get this if I could play it on my ps vita.

+ Heartless_Angel7 on December 11th, 2012 at 5:24 pm said:

I’ll just wait for a price drop on this one or if ps2 classics become playable on the vita

+ dilbig5 on December 11th, 2012 at 5:29 pm said:

@Axecution

You do know that Bioshock 2 only costs like $10 right? And hasn’t cost $60 since a few months after its 2010 release.

+ AHonikx on December 11th, 2012 at 5:34 pm said:

Nice, I could go for Vice City/Vice City Stories though, then you could package all them PS2 GTAs into a collection.

+ SlashGashTerror1 on December 11th, 2012 at 5:36 pm said:

i have to agree $15 for gta:sa is a bit much considering that the digital version of gta4 is $20 but i bought it anyway lol so all i wanna hear now is”Grove Street…..Home” :)

PAGE 1 2 3 4