PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Fuel Overdose Roars into Action on PSN Soon

Skander Djerbi's Avatar + Posted by Skander Djerbi on Dec 14, 2012 // Executive Producer, I-Friqiya

Fuel_Overdose_Action04

Hi PlayStation Blog, this is Skander Djerbi, executive producer of the half-Japanese, half-gaijin indie production Fuel Overdose for PlayStation 3 on PSN. (Update)The game will launch December 21st in Europe, and will be coming soon to North America.

Our previous post focused on the racing gameplay pillar. Today we will talk about the ‘action’ aspect of the game, introducing all the cool gameplay mechanics that you can use against your opponents to attack, defend and counter-attack. Have a look in the new trailer below.

Let’s start with the upgradable weapons.

• A machine gun that can be fired at 360° when combined with the skidding and spinning features.
  • A rocket launcher that uses a homing system that skilled drivers can avoid by suddenly changing trajectory at the very last moment.
  • Mines – very useful when you find yourself leading the race and trying to keep distance from your rivals.

We’ve also added detonators. Several bombs are scattered at strategic locations around the circuit, with remote triggers that allow you to take out opponents that would otherwise remain out of reach.

Grappling hook as a weapon
As introduced in our previous post [link here], you can use a grappling hook to grab other vehicles, to get back on track, or to perform perfect turns. What’s new is that the grappling hook can also be used as a weapon. You can electrify (01:13) your opponent by grabbing him and holding the circle button. But be careful, your opponent can send you the electric shock back (01:16).

Fuel_Overdose_Action05Fuel_Overdose_Action03

Berserk gauge and combo

• The combo system: as in many fighting games, you can perform combos by chaining attacks. But what is unique to Fuel Overdose is that as soon as the combo ends, it is converted to a life bonus that fills your life gauge.
  • A Berserk gauge, located in the top right corner of the screen, is divided into three sections and fills whenever you’re being hit by an enemy. I’ll explain in the two following sections how it works.

Special attacks: Skill moves, Super and Ultra attacks
Each character has a set of four unique special attacks: one skill move, two super attacks and one ultra attack:

• Skill moves: these techniques can be triggered anytime as they don’t consume the Berserk gauge.
  • Super attacks: they affect all the enemies in your immediate vicinity, but in order to trigger them you’ll need to consume one section of your Berserk gauge.
  • Ultra attacks: they affect all enemies on the race track – you’ll need to have your Berserk gauge completely full to trigger them.

Fuel_Overdose_Action02Fuel_Overdose_Action09

Defense: shield
You can go on the defensive by activating your shield (01:43)… as long as your Berserk gauge is not empty. The shield consumes the Berserk gauge, which means that you’ll have to constantly make choices and decide whether to allocate your Berserk gauge on defense (shield) or on attack (super and ultra attacks).

Race Danger
The Race Danger is a mass climatic disaster that can be summoned anytime and anywhere on the race track. In order to use this special technique, you’ll have to participate in a silent auction before the race during which you bid for it out of your overall budget. Only the highest bidder will have the right to trigger it and the losers will leave with empty hands and pockets.

That’s all for today. I’ll see you in a forthcoming post during which I’ll discuss the third pillar of Fuel Overdose’s gameplay: tactics. Stay tuned!

+ Ryumoau on December 14th, 2012 at 7:18 am said:

looks interesting but is it wise to release it the same day as Zombie Driver?

+ Skander Djerbi on December 14th, 2012 at 8:08 am said:

@Ryumoau / Zombie Driver: I really enjoyed Zombie Driver on PC, but we are talking about games that are really different here. Sure the 2 games have the top-down perspective in common, but Fuel Overdose is a racing game where the objective is to finish first.

Skander.

+ SynthR on December 14th, 2012 at 7:21 am said:

I’m interested. Will try the demo.

+ SynthR on December 14th, 2012 at 7:25 am said:

Does the game feature online multiplayer and/or split-screen?

+ Skander Djerbi on December 14th, 2012 at 8:01 am said:

@SynthR / Multiplayer : Yes there are several online multiplayer modes. Up to 8 players

Normal: Exactly same as the offline free race mode, except that up to 8 players can compete online simultaneously in singles races or in race sequences.

Quick: Same as normal mode, except that all players are given the same weapons.

Basic: Same as Normal except that special attacks and race dangers are not allowed.

and…Driving: no weapons at all, it’s pure racing.

Skander

+ togue on December 14th, 2012 at 8:27 am said:

any chance of a VITA version, looks cool btw

+ Conaaando on December 14th, 2012 at 8:35 am said:

Micro machines! \o/

+ Skrawney on December 14th, 2012 at 8:57 am said:

Looks like a remake of circuit breakers for ps1.

+ Nick930930 on December 14th, 2012 at 9:19 am said:

Looks like Motorstorm RC with worse graphics. I’ll pass.

#6 I LOVED THAT GAME!

+ PainOfSarrow on December 14th, 2012 at 10:00 am said:

@Ryumoau / Release: the game will release on December 21st…on the European store. Unfortunately the North American version is delayed, I hope it will be available in January…

i dont get it, so the game is NOTTT comming out this tuesday comming for psn ? this should be removed as comming out next week then and just be posted on the EU blog. anyways this looks like my type of game. my eye will be on it and a price will be nice…

+ Skander Djerbi on December 14th, 2012 at 11:44 am said:

@PainOfSarrow > thanks
    I can see that there has been a misunderstanding here.
    >So next week : full game available only on the European store + Demo on the US store (the demo is already available for those who have a Eu account)

Skander

+ icurafuse on December 14th, 2012 at 2:29 pm said:

I will give the demo a go, this look like mad fun. As with #4, I’d love to this this on the Vita as well.

+ whyaskdouknow on December 14th, 2012 at 2:33 pm said:

how much is this going to cost ?????

+ Skander Djerbi on December 14th, 2012 at 11:57 pm said:

@whyaskdouknow / price 14.99

+ Yanorath on December 14th, 2012 at 2:41 pm said:

i tried the demo but using the grappling hook on the conner poles doesn’t work as shown in the video also how do we do that 360º thing?

+ Skander Djerbi on December 15th, 2012 at 12:29 am said:

@Yanorath / grappling hook: what you see in the trailers, including this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhWF5CShha8 (the one that should appear on the post blog instead of the Racing trailer – see comment#13) is 100% pure game footage and 0% b******t. Actually the guy playing on these videos is me :) so I can assure you that the game works exactly as shown on the video. Which section of the video are you referring to?

The grappling hook is a very powerful item, but it’s gonna take time before you master each turn of the race track. We wanted the grappling hook to be pretty instinctive, but we built it as a “easy to learn/hard to master” feature.

Depending on the angle of the turn, on your vehicle and on the moment you trigger it, you’ll have to manipulate it in different ways. Sometimes you might even have to combine it with your brake if it’s a sharp turn.

Skander

+ Yanorath on December 14th, 2012 at 2:45 pm said:

forgot to ask i’m experiencing low FPS when i have 6 or more cars in the screen is it just a demo problem D;?

+ Skander Djerbi on December 15th, 2012 at 12:29 am said:

Regarding the FPS, here again I’m not gonna b******t you. Yeah that happens when almost all the vehicles are on the same screen, and this has probably nothing to do with the demo. However what I can tell you is that the other maps run more smoothly. The reason why we chose Vegas for the demo is because the race track contains wide sections, so it’s a good map for a start and also because you can easily experience the drifts (especially with the El Paso).

Btw thanks Yanorath, it’s your comment that made me realize that they inserted the wrong trailer

Skander

+ Skander Djerbi on December 14th, 2012 at 11:57 pm said:

First of all, something EXTREMELY IMPORTANT

I have just noticed that the video shown on this page is not the correct one :( . What you are watching is the “Racing” trailer.

WHAT YOU SHOULD WATCH IS THE ACTION TRAILER :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhWF5CShha8

I have just asked people in charge of the blog to modify this asap

Sorry for the confusion

Skander

+ Skander Djerbi on December 15th, 2012 at 5:39 am said:

The video has been updated

+ PainOfSarrow on December 15th, 2012 at 9:31 am said:

muchhh better trailer just makes me want it even more. not feeling the 14.99 price though. i usualy avoid anything past 9.99 unless its a must. im only a single player type guy. if this game has enough content for just singlee player then il def get it. il give the Demo a try tuesday.

+ Skander Djerbi on December 16th, 2012 at 7:14 am said:

PainOfSarrow / Single player

Here is what we offer in terms of single player experience:

1. Free Race (3 difficulty modes)

2. Championship: 4 championships x 3 difficulty modes. This where you unlock race tracks, special vehicles and make money to customize and purchase vehicles

3. Story: This is where you discover the secret motives of each character and unveil the plots that surround the universe of Fuel Overdose. Each character has his own story mode and some races feature special objectives.

4. Challenge (120 challenges): Time attack, Kill’em’all, Driving (no weapons allowed), Survival, Points, and Drift.

> More than 15-20 hours of gameplay

Skander

+ SpooNManX on December 16th, 2012 at 8:17 am said:

Hey Skander,
The game looks very fun. I will download and play the demo the minute it hits PSN.

I grew up playing/loving games like Super Sprint, RC Pro-Am, and Micro Machines and this looks to be just as fun.

I do have a question though. Do you know if this game allows us to play our music from the XMB?
I really enjoy being able to play my own music with games like this. So many developers tend to leave out this feature, but I feel it gives extra longevity to a game. To be able to listen to your favorite tunes while racing is a good thing! :)

Thanks

+ Skander Djerbi on December 17th, 2012 at 2:49 am said:

I see that we have the same references in terms of good old top down view racers :)

Regarding the customizable soundtrack, the answer is YES. So if you don’t like the soundtrack of the game, or if you just feel like listening to some Muse or some good old Guns’n’Roses (I recommend “You could be mine” while chasing your opponents with you big truck if you see I’m what referring to :) ), that’s doable.

AND, I have just checked: this feature is present in the DEMO.

For those who are not familiar with the feature: burn some music on a flash drive, plus it to your PS3, and then go to the XMB / main menu of you PS3, go to “Music” and from there you have to copy the tracks on your PS3. Then go to the options menu of the game and import the tracks you want to listen in the game.

Skander

+ PainOfSarrow on December 16th, 2012 at 9:32 am said:

Skander , thanks for the info. thats a lot of content for single player. also all them hours sounds worth 15. looks like il be grabbing this once full game becomes Available. SOLD

+ Skander Djerbi on December 17th, 2012 at 2:48 am said:

@SpooNManX / Customizable soundtrack

AND, I have just checked: this feature is present in the DEMO.

For those who are not familiar with the feature: burn some music on a flash drive, plug it to your PS3, and then go to the XMB / main menu of you PS3, go to “Music” and from copy the tracks on your PS3. Then go to the options menu of the game and import the tracks you want to listen in the game.

Skander

+ SGT_Kelly on December 17th, 2012 at 8:08 am said:

I’ve tested the demo on the eu store, I was just amazed on how smooth and deep combat systems feels like, playing this game like the good old, rock’and’roll racing makes me remember my childhood.

Few downs though, sometimes the action is too packed, the melee becomes a crazy ffa, and it can be a biy confusing… Besides that caracters are gorgeouse (especially lene, her history mode is going to be hot hot hot i bet ) ..

I can’t wait to buy this game on the day it comes out !!! its gonna be the perfect christmas gift for the nostalgeious nerd sleeping inside of me :D

+ SpooNManX on December 18th, 2012 at 9:43 am said:

Great news!!
Having the ability to play our own music is a feature that is sorely lacking in many PS3 games.
I usually listen to the in game music for the first “play through”, but not everyone has the same taste in music.

I can see myself playing this to some Rush, or G’NR like you suggested. :)

Thanks again!

+ SpooNManX on December 18th, 2012 at 10:11 pm said:

What happened to the US release? I was searching all over PSN Store (which is NOT an easy task anymore!!)
and was sad not to see this. It’s about the only thing I was looking forward to this week.

Man I wish Sony would get rid of the current store and go back to the original setup.
It’s running like a Java app on a 486dx PC. :(

+ Skander Djerbi on December 21st, 2012 at 12:21 am said:

@SpooNManX / North American release

Sorry for the late reply.

Actually the NA release has been postponed. I cannot give you a precise date for the moment, buf if you can’t wait I suggest you take a look at the European store (the game releases today).

Last, I just checked the first reviews from European and American and most of them are beetween good (7.8 out of 10 ) and excellent (9 ouf of 10)!!!

Check our Facebook page for more details

Skander