Horizon Zero Dawn

Dec 14

The Last of Us: Tess

The Last of Us: New Survivor Tess’ Background, Details

Eric Monacelli's Avatar Posted by Eric Monacelli on Dec 14, 2012 // Community Strategist, Naughty Dog

The Last of Us on PS3

It’s been an exciting December full of fresh The Last of Us news. If you haven’t watched our brand new The Last of Us Story Trailer, you’re missing out some huge reveals. One of these reveals is a new character seen here, Joel’s partner, Tess.

A hardened survivor living in one of the last remaining quarantine zones, Tess operates in the black market of a city under martial law. Partners with Joel, they have become known within the criminal underworld for their ruthlessness. Street smart and confident, Tess is a savvy strategist and negotiator. Her ability to generate intelligent plans to secure the contraband for their trade is second to none.

Tess and Joel subscribe to the same dog-eat-dog philosophy. They survive by being willing to do what others can’t or won’t. Her trust in and loyalty towards Joel runs deep. However, secretly, she questions whether Joel shares the same emotions that she feels for him.

The Last of Us on PS3

The Last of Us on PS3The Last of Us on PS3

Strong, smart, and street savvy, Tess is a pivotal character in the world of The Last of Us. Tess is voiced and played by Annie Wersching. You might recognize Annie’s voice from her work on the hit TV series, 24. For our in-game cinematics Annie’s performance of Tess involved many long, intense hours on our mocap stage. To see how Annie’s performance was captured and certain scenes from it were put it into our Story Trailer check out this process video:

Pretty cool stuff, right? We spoke about the making of a cinematic a few months ago and we’re very happy with how the game and all the cinematics within it are shaping up.

Don’t forget to pre-order The Last of Us to receive exclusive bonus content, including the Sights and Sounds Pack at participating retailers and the Survival Pack from GameStop.

Now that we are in the heart of winter here in the US we wanted to reveal one more new screenshot from the game. Here’s a look at one of the more familiar, strong survivors who inhabits the world of The Last of Us:

The Last of Us on PS3

Is it May 7th, 2013 yet?

PAGE 1 2

+ PharmBoY044 on December 14th, 2012 at 6:00 pm said:

Will you be talking about the gameplay for this game?
What is it similar to? Uncharted? Condemned?
How will crafting work?
How will Ellie work withe player?
Have you been following Bioshock Infinite and how they are tying to incorporate Elizabeth in the gameplay with the player?

+ androx11 on December 14th, 2012 at 6:10 pm said:

The game looks great, and the addition of a bow as a weapon really hypes me up. As long as there is free aim with the bow I’m completely in.

Now if you could give me a way to contact customer support that would be great. Problem is, I keep throwing money at my screen but I’m unable to obtain the game, some help to deal with that would be excellent.

+ BlindMango on December 14th, 2012 at 6:44 pm said:

I can never believe how AMAZING y’all’s images look Naughty Dog! I swear, every image I see from this game looks like a PAINTING! I find it hard to believe how amazing the graphics you guys cram into this game, I can’t wait to play it guys, I know it’s really something!

PS – THANK YOU for a NEW IP!!!!! We need more of that in the gaming industry…

+ Heavenly_king on December 14th, 2012 at 7:48 pm said:

the game looks GOTY 2013!! Great Job and Merry Christmas :D

+ GMFCO311 on December 14th, 2012 at 11:20 pm said:

@ 1 Ryumoau

You are the most negative person I’ve seen on these posts so far! Please go away already! You by far are the troll of the PS Blog! Congrats to you!

+ blakseed on December 15th, 2012 at 12:50 am said:

I think it’s time for Ryumoau to find a new hobby. The game is looking phenomenal.

+ nolo451 on December 15th, 2012 at 1:02 am said:

I think its pretty well established that Ryumoau is an obvious troll, look at his past comments, proof is there clear as day.

+ IrishDude2 on December 15th, 2012 at 3:08 am said:

Soooo excited for this!! I’m holding off on the pre-order for 2 reasons.
1) I want a collectors edition so waiting to hear if there will be one
2) Would like to know if stores will open at midnight cos i don’t want to wait until the next day to play

I try my best to not watch a video so can enjoy the story at the most enjoyable experience possible. I deserve a medal for not watching them awesome videos!! So hard to turn away from em

Keep up with the good work! You guys make the best games! Hope you all have a good Christmas and happy new year!

+ Strangeheaven on December 15th, 2012 at 4:32 am said:

I hope this game doesn’t force the player to move on in certain directions, like the terrible uncharted 3 did.
Uncharted 3 was the worst game I played last year,full of bugs and rushed to hell.

The last of us needs to give the player freedom of play and exploration. Gameplay and game design should always come highly before graphics.

Hopefully the last of us should be a great game,because the two veteran directors that did the brilliant uncharted 2 are making this.

I also hope this game doesn’t have a short 10 hour campaign. A game like this should last 25-40 hours.

Anyway I have not pre-order this yet, I will be waiting for high praised reviews hopefully.

Am sorry folks but I lost faith in naughtydog after the terrible uncharted 3.

+ Undrey on December 15th, 2012 at 5:36 am said:

Please tell me a linear PS3 game that has a story at least 20 hours long.

+ TheCraZyCloWn on December 14th, 2012 at 3:42 pm said:

Any chance of multiplayer as well? The single player looks simply amaziing and stunning. Best studio on PS3! I would love to beta test this bad boy please!

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on December 14th, 2012 at 5:51 pm said:

Multiplayer is happening, yes! We’ll have details soon.

+ awesompotamus on December 14th, 2012 at 3:54 pm said:

Will this have 3D functionality? played though uncharted 3 with it and it was amazing.

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on December 14th, 2012 at 5:51 pm said:

It’s still going to look gorgeous as we completely re-worked our lighting systems.

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on December 14th, 2012 at 5:51 pm said:

No 3D support for The Last of Us. Sorry!

+ Gay_Angel on December 14th, 2012 at 4:27 pm said:

Amazing, I just finished watching the VGA trailer, it really shows how much dedication and passion everyone at ND is putting into this work of art!
Hope everyone enjoys their holiday seasons.

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on December 14th, 2012 at 5:52 pm said:

Thank you! Happy holidays to you as well!

+ Chaoz on December 14th, 2012 at 4:46 pm said:

Buy games!!!!! Ugggghhhh!

+ Thiagots85 on December 14th, 2012 at 5:31 pm said:

at least let me play this game before everybody =]

+ Kid_Grim on December 15th, 2012 at 8:28 am said:

All i’m looking for is for it to be lengthy. The story seems solid, and the characters so far seem interesting, the fighting mechanics are probably the best I’ve seen. so as long as it’s more than a 8-10 hour campaign i’m all in.

+ hulkrock on December 15th, 2012 at 8:31 am said:

PlayStation and Naughty Dog have really outdone themselves with this game. First Uncharted now this, just WOW!

+ dark1725 on December 15th, 2012 at 5:02 pm said:

i bet it will be game of the year and is a ps 3 and ps orbis release at really hope

+ dark1725 on December 15th, 2012 at 5:05 pm said:

hope for 1200 hours of game play for the long wait

+ Nfs_Z on December 15th, 2012 at 7:21 pm said:

Ugggghhh,,, when this game comee,,, T.T
Cant wait !!!

+ DaveedT13 on December 16th, 2012 at 8:24 am said:

1200 hours of gameplay…lol Some kids here really don’t know how much work a game like this represents.

To the one saying it’s a rental. Uncharted 2 (and yes, the 3 too) were 2 of the game I got the most for my money! The campaign is so good I did it at least 3 times in each and I put a lot of hours into the MP wich is pretty good when you give it a chance. It’s different from every FPS online shooter out there is a lot of ways, the graphics are great and the moves are fun!

+ DaveedT13 on December 16th, 2012 at 8:25 am said:

To the ones asking for a non-linear game, open-world type, it’s not what ND do, and be honest, the story-telling of of most open-world games out there is not super good. ND are giving us a good story to go through with Uncharted and TLoU, cinematic moments, well-defined characters, you can’t do it the same way with open-world, the pacing can’t be the same, the story can’t be as detailed and as rythmed in an open-world game.

There must be differents kinds of game out there for differents tastes of gamers. Some of us like cinematic games with a good story and pace. If every game would be open-world in the future it would just became the new overused “FPS” genre with no place for others genres of games, less genres is always bad for us gamers.

I would have like a kind of always-living onlien mode in it with our character being able to die and have to restart in the world with nothing but it will surely not be it. Still, I’m hoping for super fun coop in online TLoU and I’m pretty sure ND will try hard to give us something great.

+ dark1725 on December 16th, 2012 at 1:20 pm said:

i know that its alot of work but its worth it and sony needs to do more anyway plus im sure everyone is tired of 35 mins of game play i just get bord to easily i guess just want a indepth game that i can jump into for the long hall

+ dark1725 on December 16th, 2012 at 1:24 pm said:

maybe its time for orbis to emerge hell even computer graphics seem lame to me guess cause my tv has 480 hz framerate

+ dark1725 on December 16th, 2012 at 1:25 pm said:

and epic glasses free 3d lol but thanks ND

+ dark1725 on December 16th, 2012 at 1:28 pm said:

woder if i should buy a oled 4k tv for this game hmmmm

+ dark1725 on December 16th, 2012 at 1:28 pm said:

wonder lol

+ siriusbee on December 16th, 2012 at 4:03 pm said:

What happens to that actress after the game is lauded universally?

+ ChainClutch on December 16th, 2012 at 9:16 pm said:

another GOTY from naughty dog. How the hell did you guys manage to pull graphics this good! damn

+ MaxPayneV3 on December 17th, 2012 at 7:38 am said:

Had a little crush on Annie Wersching on 24, too bad she died “SPOILERS” glad she’s still acting.

+ Strangeheaven on December 17th, 2012 at 8:56 am said:

Resident Evil 4 rules all the way. I cant believe I still play it almost 8 years after release.
I just hope the last of us has this kind of replayability.

Anyway Resident Evil 4 Remake please for ps4, but only if shinji mikami is on board again.

No more Resident Evil games unless the main man is involved, because resident evil 5 & 6 were utter pants.

+ ro-kurorai on December 17th, 2012 at 9:02 am said:

Thanks guys, I love your games and I’d be delighted to support you by buying a CE, so please make it happen.

C’mon and get serious dude, please troll on crappy games’ posts, but here it was uncalled for. If you seriously suggest renting a game with a SP focus paired with an intricate story and top-notch acting woven together by an acclaimed developer then your comment just sounds asinine. Especially as you’re not interested in MP. Judging by that logic you ain’t gonna buy any games at all but rent them instead. It’s your choice, but cheap asses and gamers with that attitude are contributing to publishers’ and developers’ woes and fueling the argument for online passes.

Support excellence, buy ND games,

+ Welmosca on December 17th, 2012 at 9:07 am said:

@ 66 Strangeheaven – No way man…RE5 is amazing and actually better than RE4 …now RE6 is the disappointment of the century.Worst game I’ve played in 2012.And I’m a big RE fan.

+ crazy4lego on December 21st, 2012 at 6:24 pm said:

Gosh dang. This game is getting better and better every day and I won’t be able to buy the game because I have one of those dads that doesn’t let you buy an “M” rated game unless you can turn off the graphic content. (He doesn’t care for blood it is just the “F” word; all other swear words are fine :P) And I know that Naughty Dog isn’t going to put a filter on it because someone already asked and the answer was no. This game is going to be so freaking good. BLLAAAAA I want it so bad. I guess I’ll just watch playthroughs on YouTube. :/

+ EXQUISITEEMPRESS on January 12th, 2013 at 11:47 pm said:

Can’t wait to see what’s going to happen with her in the game.

+ Ryumoau on December 14th, 2012 at 8:01 am said:

This game will be a good rental.

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on December 14th, 2012 at 3:11 pm said:

Ah, give it a full chance first!

+ Ryumoau on December 14th, 2012 at 8:02 am said:

Great casting choice though. I loved her as Renee in 24.

+ GhostMachine1 on December 14th, 2012 at 8:05 am said:

Calling it now; Game of the year.

+ Smert_ on December 14th, 2012 at 8:19 am said:

This game looks way too good! You guys produce amazing stuff!

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on December 14th, 2012 at 3:11 pm said:

Thanks! Glad you like it. Lots more to show. Can’t wait to show you some of it.

+ aro52 on December 14th, 2012 at 8:33 am said:

Renee Walker!!

+ MakoSOLIDER on December 14th, 2012 at 8:34 am said:

That Ellie Screenshot is awesome!

+ dFUSE on December 14th, 2012 at 8:34 am said:

That shot of Ellie is amazing!

+ BrianMcGuinness on December 14th, 2012 at 8:43 am said:

@1, god you are such a loser.

+ bball230 on December 14th, 2012 at 8:49 am said:

Renee from 24! lol. nice should of made the voice actor for joel Kiefer Sutherland! that would of been sick! lol

+ Ratpatrol01 on December 14th, 2012 at 8:50 am said:

@ #1
Why would you say that? Buy the game… its an exclusive, why not support the developer? Your purchase adds to their sales so they can get the most money… they are doing unique work that no one else does. Why not reward naughty dog?

+ BrianMcGuinness on December 14th, 2012 at 9:08 am said:

He said it because he tried to be cool and smug.

+ Busca-Cabezas on December 14th, 2012 at 9:23 am said:

Shady, shady Tess’… IT IS OVER TESS!!!
Greatness!! :D

+ PrimeroIncognito on December 14th, 2012 at 9:47 am said:

Heh… Goofus strikes again…

+ BlaqMagiq24 on December 14th, 2012 at 9:52 am said:

I see you’re as cheap as ever. Why would you not buy this game and support Naughty Dog? They have not let us down once and this game looks to be another hit. Seriously how about spending money on a game for once?

+ Ryumoau on December 14th, 2012 at 9:52 am said:

@10 lol i’m not wasting $60 on what i have a feeling will be a short campaign, if its like Uncharted. I have no interest in an multiplayer aspects. I will only experience the game once before i move onto a new game. Renting sounds like the best option.

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on December 14th, 2012 at 3:15 pm said:

We haven’t said anything about campaign length yet.

PAGE 1 2