Tearaway Unfolded

Dec 14

The Last of Us: Tess

The Last of Us: New Survivor Tess’ Background, Details

Eric Monacelli's Avatar Posted by Eric Monacelli on Dec 14, 2012 // Community Strategist, Naughty Dog

The Last of Us on PS3

It’s been an exciting December full of fresh The Last of Us news. If you haven’t watched our brand new The Last of Us Story Trailer, you’re missing out some huge reveals. One of these reveals is a new character seen here, Joel’s partner, Tess.

A hardened survivor living in one of the last remaining quarantine zones, Tess operates in the black market of a city under martial law. Partners with Joel, they have become known within the criminal underworld for their ruthlessness. Street smart and confident, Tess is a savvy strategist and negotiator. Her ability to generate intelligent plans to secure the contraband for their trade is second to none.

Tess and Joel subscribe to the same dog-eat-dog philosophy. They survive by being willing to do what others can’t or won’t. Her trust in and loyalty towards Joel runs deep. However, secretly, she questions whether Joel shares the same emotions that she feels for him.

The Last of Us on PS3

The Last of Us on PS3The Last of Us on PS3

Strong, smart, and street savvy, Tess is a pivotal character in the world of The Last of Us. Tess is voiced and played by Annie Wersching. You might recognize Annie’s voice from her work on the hit TV series, 24. For our in-game cinematics Annie’s performance of Tess involved many long, intense hours on our mocap stage. To see how Annie’s performance was captured and certain scenes from it were put it into our Story Trailer check out this process video:

Pretty cool stuff, right? We spoke about the making of a cinematic a few months ago and we’re very happy with how the game and all the cinematics within it are shaping up.

Don’t forget to pre-order The Last of Us to receive exclusive bonus content, including the Sights and Sounds Pack at participating retailers and the Survival Pack from GameStop.

Now that we are in the heart of winter here in the US we wanted to reveal one more new screenshot from the game. Here’s a look at one of the more familiar, strong survivors who inhabits the world of The Last of Us:

The Last of Us on PS3

Is it May 7th, 2013 yet?

PAGE 1 2

+ wtGp on December 14th, 2012 at 10:04 am said:

can the mocap scenes be in the game like in Drake’s Fortune. I love watching the mocap acting

+ Kuroro_Iucifer on December 14th, 2012 at 10:27 am said:

Don’t you have any positive thing to say ?!
Every single comment of you is about being cheap or complaining

+ snakeeyes211 on December 14th, 2012 at 11:13 am said:

I love naughty dog you guys rock

+ snakeeyes211 on December 14th, 2012 at 11:18 am said:

@ number 1 and 15 you are PlayStation hater everything you ever say is I’m not buying that game I’m not buying this game you should stop gaming in general as there is nothing that you like and everything for you is a disappointment so you could please just do everybody on this website a favor and please stop commenting

+ goodguy_reuben on December 14th, 2012 at 11:34 am said:

Naughty Dog is at it again!
Day 1 purchase

+ lyfestory on December 14th, 2012 at 11:40 am said:

Ignore the haters… this game is a must-own for any true Playstation gamers.. $60 is worth it, in my opinion.. i’m not interested in mutliplayer either, nor do i blow through a game in one sitting… i take my time and savor everything it has to offer…
and Renee Walker, that’s awesome…. makes me seriously miss that show… i bet Naughty Dog would do a great game based off 24…: )

+ Welfare_Child on December 14th, 2012 at 11:41 am said:

god gave us naughty dog and all the greats of sony. i really hope the bow is a real in-game weapon not just for cutscenes. i really hope that you can draw the bow to any length unlike skyrim please make bow and arrow authentic or close to real life that would be amazing.

+ Sky-Rocketed77 on December 14th, 2012 at 11:46 am said:

i sense some serious bow & arrow action ahead. I love the variety im seeing so far from environments, characters, and weapons! Keep it up guys :)

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on December 14th, 2012 at 3:16 pm said:

Thanks for the kind words! Yup, there’s a lot of variety and contrast in the game.

+ Sky-Rocketed77 on December 14th, 2012 at 11:51 am said:

Gas masks, arrows, flashlights, horses, and snow! Can’t ask for much more lol

+ lisatsunami on December 14th, 2012 at 12:08 pm said:

Not going to look! No more spoilers!

+ duhitsandy on December 14th, 2012 at 12:28 pm said:

The only decision I’m having a hard time making is where to pre-order the game! I can’t wait for it to come out hope you guys make a cool theater event (like the Uncharted 3 Cinema event) prior to the games release.

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on December 14th, 2012 at 3:16 pm said:

That would be rad! Hopefully we can.

+ Knackered on December 14th, 2012 at 12:52 pm said:

I LOVE Annie Wersching, it’s great to see her in this. Can’t wait for this game.

+ Welmosca on December 14th, 2012 at 1:00 pm said:

Ok I don’t even need to play the other games to say safely that TLoU will be the best game of 2012…and probably one of the best games ever made…Tess looks like an great character,by the trailer I knew she was some sort of strong woman,thats fantastic…loved the 1st photo of her and Jesus Christ those screenshots…the graphics are unbelievable.Man the story looks so great.Last game I was this excited was Uncharted 3(which unfortunately became a big letdown)…but I’m sure TLoU will be an phenomenal experience like no other…Uncharted 2 team FTW.Also I wasn’t expecting but there will be snow environments…I love snow.And keep the mocap videos coming…its great to watch these videos.

+ Welmosca on December 14th, 2012 at 1:13 pm said:

@ 1 Ryumoau – I don’t know what you’re doing here if you came just to troll…ND never developed bad games and plus thus all their games are must buy.If you dont wanna buy TLoU then you’re not a true PS playa also if you think TLoU isn’t a game worthy of your money then you must rent every other game.For real get lost dude.

+ Berae on December 14th, 2012 at 1:24 pm said:

Just Cant wait for this game!!

+ minnemouse13 on December 14th, 2012 at 1:41 pm said:

i seriously can’t wait for this game!!! may 7th 2013 is gonna be an AWESOME day for me. i’ve been looking and studying this game for 2 years. i’ve been looking at games play/screen every single day!!!! this game is gonna be GOMTY!!!!!! :D

+ D-Squad3 on December 14th, 2012 at 2:07 pm said:

Chills man, chills.

I really hope the SP will last about 20 hours but I’ve got a feeling it won’t be. :(

+ Corbie on December 14th, 2012 at 2:15 pm said:

Day 1 Buy for me. This game looks soooo good.

and that shot of ellie.. I know the PS3 is powerful and all, but theres no way thats realtime… …is it..? lol The lighting is too smooth…

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on December 14th, 2012 at 3:17 pm said:

That’s from in-engine. We did a lot of work on our lighting for this game.

+ Bulleteddy on December 14th, 2012 at 2:21 pm said:

Annie Wersching? Nice! I had a crush on her during the last season of 24. Looks like Naughty Dog is once again assembling a great ensemble cast and is looking to tell a good story.

Keep doing what you’re doing Naughty Dog, you are the top…and one of the only reasons why I keep gaming on home consoles. The moment that games all go the mindless Call of Duty route is the day I just start playing Words with Friends exclusively.

+ freshprincepbg on December 14th, 2012 at 3:03 pm said:

I’ve seen enough of the single player, (looks like it could be the greatest campaign ever!) but I don’t wanna be spoiled anymore.

Time to talk about the multi-player!

Eric Monacelli's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on December 14th, 2012 at 3:17 pm said:

We’ll be talking about it soon!

PAGE 1 2