PS4-The Order

PULSE – Elite Edition: New App Allows Custom Pre-Set Modes

Richard Ho's Avatar + Posted by Richard Ho on Dec 17, 2012 // Associate Product Marketing Manager

Tomorrow, we’re releasing a free App to support the addition of new audio Modes for PULSE wireless stereo headset – Elite Edition. To make your listening experience more dynamic, BassImpact has been added to new Modes for games, movies and music. In some instances, the sound profiles of the original movie or music scores have been adjusted to emphasize certain sounds.

Pulse Elite Edition ManagerPulse Elite Edition Manager

As you know from watching our video walkthrough back in September there are currently six different default audio Modes available: Game, Shooter, Racing, Fighting, Music and Movie.

This new app will add five new Modes to your already enhanced audio experience:

• Football (Game):
    BassImpact lets you feel the crunch of bone-crushing tackles or jolts behind every kick of the football
  • Horror (Movie):
    Deep bass sounds are enhanced to heighten the eerie atmosphere while the high shrill of screams are boosted to make you jump out of your seat.
  • Action (Movie):
    The low and high sounds of explosions and gunfire are magnified delivering a bigger and more intense audio experience.
  • Techno (Music):
    The lows of bass beats and highs of synthesizers are amplified enhancing the audio experience.
  • Hip Hop (Music):
    Hear the kick of low bass combined with crisp sounds of vocals.

Pulse – Elite Edition Manager will be available for download on the PS3 Apps page of PS Store on December 18th. For more details, click here.

PAGE 1 2

+ towtruck09 on December 17th, 2012 at 7:07 am said:

I didn’t think these headsets could get any better. They work perfect for my vita and any other mobile device.

Richard Ho's Avatar

+ Richard Ho on December 17th, 2012 at 12:34 pm said:

That is great to hear!!! We want you to be able to enjoy using this headset with other devices in addition to the PS3.

+ ShardYu on December 17th, 2012 at 7:08 am said:

Wow! Great news! Thank you Sony! Loving my Playstation Pulse more! :)

+ KeefRiffards on December 17th, 2012 at 7:09 am said:

Amazing! Can’t wait, I love my Elite edition headset!

+ favian on December 17th, 2012 at 7:12 am said:

Great news but please add one feature. Please shut off the headset automatically if its been idle too long or if I shut off the ps3. That’s one thing the previous model has that the current one doesn’t.

On an unrelated note, since the new PSN store revamp I can no longer send recommendations to my friends via the store.

+ Gadirok on December 17th, 2012 at 7:25 am said:

Great headset, I got it when black ops 2 released in a bundle at a retailer. I could hear some sounds that I couldn’t get on my TV (or weren’t as noticable from TV speakers).

Anyhow, I never understood the bass impact feature. I can’t manage to get a good mix of bass that I feel comfortable with, either it gets too loud or I turn it off so I leave it off most of the time.

Thats not my main issue though, its the second panel on the back of the left side (near the on button and usb connection drum) not the volume bar but the other bar. I can’t understand what its for. Apparently you can slide it half way until it clicks to increase the audio of the people you hear in game through their mics, or you can slide it past the halfway to mute them completely, but at the same time increase the the overall volume of the headset.

Is there any way that you can have the maximum volume and hear the other players? Or I am confused about the purpose of that second panel in general.

Richard Ho's Avatar

+ Richard Ho on December 17th, 2012 at 12:43 pm said:

I’m glad that this headset allows you to hear sounds that you couldn’t get through your TV.

For BassImpact, we provided 6 different Modes pre-loaded in the headset. I encourage you to test out all of them and find the right one based on the game that you are playing. Each Mode is tuned to look for different bass tones in the content you are playing…and that is what triggers the “pulses” in BassImpact.

The slider bar you are talking about is the Game and Chat mixer. Sometimes…when you are playing a multiplayer game, your teammates may be speaking softly. Move the slider towards the “voice” side and it will make the teammates voice louder. On the other hand, if your teammate is yapping too much, move the slider to the game sound side and it will turn up the game sound and decrease the voice chat volume.

+ GT-420 on December 17th, 2012 at 7:36 am said:

That sounds like a lot of modes to cycle through, can you remove ones you don’t use from the list through the app?

Headset is great though, I use it almost daily and for more than just the PS3.

Richard Ho's Avatar

+ Richard Ho on December 17th, 2012 at 12:45 pm said:

The great thing about the App is that it allows you to load up to 6 MODES but you don’t have to fill all the spots if you don’t want to. So if you want to just have 2 MODES in your headset….you can do that with the App.

+ siriusbee on December 17th, 2012 at 7:41 am said:

Not sure yet how this new app will add to my experience (given that I have all 10 fingers and can easily cycle between modes manually), but so far, like GT-240, I’ve been using the headset quite regularly for myriad applications.

My ears are also totally intact.

+ Gingerbread0Men on December 17th, 2012 at 7:42 am said:

Where’s the Playstation+ update? You usually announce it around this time.

+ siriusbee on December 17th, 2012 at 7:43 am said:

Also, do you mean real football, or American football?

Richard Ho's Avatar

+ Richard Ho on December 17th, 2012 at 12:48 pm said:

This is tuned for American football. However, if you are playing a soccer game, try using BassImpact.

We give you several MODES to choose from and you may find one that works perfectly for the game you are playing.

+ Mies2000 on December 17th, 2012 at 7:48 am said:

I thought this was Pulse with Christina Lee. Where is that show?

+ buffpotato on December 17th, 2012 at 8:00 am said:

This doesn’t work with the old wireless stereo headset does it?

Also any chance we could get the wireless stereo headset to work in ps2 classics? I love the headset and like to use it for all my game playing but I can’t since it doesn’t work for PS2 classics!

Richard Ho's Avatar

+ Richard Ho on December 17th, 2012 at 12:50 pm said:

The App only works with the new PULSE-Elite Edition.

+ nikrel on December 17th, 2012 at 8:00 am said:

I have the 1st gen PS3 headset, I want this one so badly… hard to talk my wife into letting me get one.

+ MP_is_for_Chumps on December 17th, 2012 at 8:05 am said:

Came here for one of the hot sony chicks, left disappointed :(

+ THEdirtybacon on December 17th, 2012 at 8:05 am said:

I’m very excited to see added support for these headphones. They work so well, and I really am happy that I got them. I find myself using them more and more as the weeks go by.

Is there any chance we’ll ever get wireless connectivity to the vita system? The tethering isn’t horrible, but they’d be perfect if I could use them wirelessly so I wouldn’t have to worry about the cord.

+ XpAcErX on December 17th, 2012 at 8:06 am said:

They need to make a bluetooth version of these. It was such a let down to find out that you have the tether it to the vita. There are practically no good over the ear bluetooth headphones for the vita.

+ Dreadaxe on December 17th, 2012 at 8:17 am said:

Got these for €59.99 today in store at HMV other places have them for €160 and the HMV site has them for a lot as well.

+ Anddo on December 17th, 2012 at 8:57 am said:

Pretty neat. I love these headset. More options is always nice.

+ the1PARiAH on December 17th, 2012 at 9:18 am said:

I need to get this headset already! I’m jealous of you peeps that have it.

+ LuiSpartanMIMIMI on December 17th, 2012 at 9:18 am said:

Little question:

How long is Pulse’s battery compared to the previous model?

I’ve heard it’s 6 hours, and the previous model is 8 hours.

+ Ryumoau on December 17th, 2012 at 9:29 am said:

i’ll get this headset when its down to $49.99.

+ Yogidestro2 on December 17th, 2012 at 10:03 am said:

@Gadirok

This is a mixer and an amazing function. If you notice, the top is labeled sound and the bottom voice. Keeping it in the middle will be your average experience, but sliding it upwards will make it so you hear the game audio more than other people’s mics. Sliding it down will do the opposite, put an emphasis on the audio coming from other people’s headset, letting the game audio slip further into the background. It’s a great feature, especially if you have a friend who likes to mumble.

+ dh4645 on December 17th, 2012 at 10:03 am said:

i asked for them for xmas. hopefully the wife or mom got em for me.

+ electronicpart on December 17th, 2012 at 10:25 am said:

More reasons to buy the PULSE wireless stereo headset – Elite Edition with the discount. God , now I cannot sleep without buying one.

+ Gadirok on December 17th, 2012 at 10:31 am said:

@Yogidestro2

Thanks, that certainly clears things up for me then. I often left it in the middle but thats a useful feature now that I have thought about it. Will certainly try it out in starhawk on the weekend.

+ M-Easy on December 17th, 2012 at 11:09 am said:

This was one of the best accessories I’ve ever bought. Great update.

+ RulitoCR on December 17th, 2012 at 11:46 am said:

This is just perfect! This is the best accesory ever!! So come to me update!!!

+ destruction1983 on December 17th, 2012 at 11:47 am said:

awesome cant wait!! =D

+ angibri2000 on December 17th, 2012 at 11:49 am said:

Hmmmmm….does this app actually update the headset in any way or the new modes only work when you are playing PS3 games? I would really like to try these modes in my Vita or PC as well especially when I listen to Music Unlimited on the Go. Btw I love these headphones! Thank you Sony for not making these only work on PS3/Vita, PC gaming with these ROCK!!!

Richard Ho's Avatar

+ Richard Ho on December 17th, 2012 at 12:53 pm said:

The new MODES not only work with the PS3, they work on any compatible device. Give it a whirl on your mobile device or on your PC or MAC.

+ Dreadaxe on December 17th, 2012 at 12:17 pm said:

If Sony released a mix amp that cold work with this so that more device than a PC or PS3 could work it’d be great.

If it could use the dongle to provide the wireless feature it be a bit cheaper than comparable offerings.

+ willywonka159 on December 17th, 2012 at 12:27 pm said:

When will we be able to hear ourselves when talking?

Richard Ho's Avatar

+ Richard Ho on December 17th, 2012 at 12:58 pm said:

There is a feature called “SideTone” which allows you to hear yourself talking. We have included adjustable sidetone levels in this headset. See the instructions below.

Hold down the MIC MUTE button until a beep is
    heard: Switch the volume of the sidetone between high
    and middle, or off.

+ disturbedlord7 on December 17th, 2012 at 12:28 pm said:

……..So how does the app work?

+ WrekGar on December 17th, 2012 at 12:29 pm said:

How much better can you make these! I love my headsets sets since the day I got them use them for everything for my phone to my Vita and watching TV late at night.

Richard Ho's Avatar

+ Richard Ho on December 17th, 2012 at 1:00 pm said:

That’s great that you are using them to watch TV as well. I hope that more people take advantage of this feature.

+ USCCM on December 17th, 2012 at 1:17 pm said:

I just want to relay my kudos to the team.

I own both headsets, and the Pulse Elite is clearly built upon all the weaknesses of its predecessor. For every complain I had with the old wireless stereo headset, the Pulse Elite eliminates it.

The music quality is great (as befitting of the Sony name). The build quality is incredible. The multiple compatibility option is excellent. I don’t use the BassImpact much cause it drains battery faster but it’s something nice to have. For those who might not have tried it before: try the headset in passive mode, meaning using it without turning the power on. You will need the supplied 3.5mm audio connector for this. Connect it to a good audio playback device, like the Vita, and listen.

Oh, try one more thing. Play Singstar using this headset. It’s awesome!!! Just make sure you close all the doors.

+ cwsluke on December 17th, 2012 at 1:19 pm said:

AwEsOmE! Thanks so much for your continued support of this sweet headset!

+ USCCM on December 17th, 2012 at 1:24 pm said:

Just one suggestion: any chance this app will allow us to customize our own settings for a mode?

For example, an equalizer function, a BassImpact setting, and some virtual surround settings.

Oh yea, talking about virtual surround. Like I said, it is much better than its predecessor, even for the surround. Whereas the older version couldn’t tell the difference between left and right and the sound stage was a mess, this one is much clearer and directionality is better, though still inferior to cans with multiple speakers on each earpad, but that’s a totally different breed of gaming headphones, (not to mention the mess of wires).

What I hope to find out is, what is the best way (PS3 settings or otherwise) to bring out the best virtual surround experience from this headset? I have tested it with games that has Dolby Digital and DTS, and although the surround is there, I believe it could be better. I have heard some really good virtual surround sound before so I am hoping that maybe there are some tricks that can bring out the beast in this beast.

+ GhostMachine1 on December 17th, 2012 at 3:48 pm said:

I want them so bad, but I still can’t afford them.

+ BlackKnightRebel on December 17th, 2012 at 4:45 pm said:

I’m super excited for the extended PlayStation family of accessories. I just got the PS 3D Display and love it. The Sound is kinda meh, but for the price I paid it is fine considering the high quality of the display.

I’m eventually going to get the Pulse too and expect the sound quality to be fantastic.

What I hope is that these are not just PS3 centric accessories but rather will get continued suport into the next generation of consoles (Vita, PS4, etc) Money is tight so the more integrated Sony can make their PlayStation Lifestyle accessories the more likely I’ll buy them and recommend them to others which is something I always want to do

: )

+ lamborgini11 on December 17th, 2012 at 5:32 pm said:

THIS IS PERFECT! I’m going on vacation so I had Christmas early and got a pulse headset two days ago and i’m already getting new features! I’m loving this headset so far and am looking forward to more support. How will this update be installed on the headphones? Please have this update out fairly early (8pm est) so i can download it before I leave please :)

+ lamborgini11 on December 17th, 2012 at 5:34 pm said:

To BlackKnightRebel the features so far available on the pulse headset are available on all auxiliary devices (Vita,smartphone) so I would assume the new ones will be available aswell

+ JaY_Ci_415 on December 17th, 2012 at 5:55 pm said:

I was told by someone yesterday that they got this for me for Christmas so many thanks! Can’t wait to try these on. Been wanting them since they came out!

+ noumikudo_am on December 17th, 2012 at 6:18 pm said:

this headphone is not made by great efforts, the sound effect of 7.1 is quite attractive nut it dos not preform remarkably in 2.1 mode,

+ lamborgini11 on December 17th, 2012 at 6:21 pm said:

Does anyone know if the speakers can play on devices without headphone jacks?

+ SarshelYam on December 17th, 2012 at 7:55 pm said:

Thanks for the update Richard.

If I may make a suggestion, the SideTone settings of the Elite are way too low. I far prefer the sidetone of the standard Pulse Headset. I could clearly hear myself on the original Pulse Headst, while the Elite is but a faint whisper even on “HIGH” . I’m big on SideTone effectiveness as I tend to talk a bit too loud if I can’t hear myself correctly, coupled with the fact that I suffer from slight hearing loss in my right ear. Future update please?

+ KANE—9— on December 17th, 2012 at 8:07 pm said:

This is a good addon to the already great headset, Being in Singapore i frantically Searched for this and did not find it Then realized that timezones are different so will have to wait a few more hours.

I must say, though i brought this for the Ps3 i sure like the way the music sounds on this almost comparable to high end sets. and yes as another user said it would be good to have a Auto shut off if it detects that the ps3 is turned off.

+ cian114 on December 17th, 2012 at 10:31 pm said:

These headphones are great!

+ Delta_Force92 on December 18th, 2012 at 2:31 am said:

I love these headphones, is the app coming to the EU store tomorrow too?

+ wuemura on December 18th, 2012 at 11:46 am said:

The APP isn’t available yet., 5:45 pm.

+ dboyman on December 18th, 2012 at 4:34 pm said:

I have a question about the Pulse headset. I know the old headset you pressed the power option twice and the light on the mic blinked red number times on how much of a charge? How do you check with the new Pulse headphones without been hooked up to a PS3? it a poor design choice if they removed that option. I don’t want to wait to be nagged by headset to know when needs charging. Least they should have a separate Led indicator just for the battery.Other than that its a good headset. One other need Sony should do is offer dedicated PC drivers for the virtual surround sound, since the virtual surround is only for PS3 right now. Be nice to have virtual surround when I use on my PC as well :)

+ Anddo on December 18th, 2012 at 5:02 pm said:

Just tried the app. It’s too bad, i’ts addition by subtraction.. It would’ve been nice to have all the setting at once. It’s a free app. So I’m not complaining.

+ dboyman on December 18th, 2012 at 5:04 pm said:

Still don’t see the app on the PS store….

PAGE 1 2