Overwatch

Dec 24

Dec 24

PlayStation Plus Update

Morgan Haro's Avatar Posted by Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

PlayStation Plus Update: 12-24-2012

While we’re smack-dab in the middle of the holiday season, we thought we’d drop in and deliver some new content for PlayStation Plus members. Don’t forget that you still have time to make Plus a great stocking stuffer for the PlayStation gamers in your life. You can buy online, get the voucher code, and then give that voucher code to your friends and family.

Now, to business! Plus members will be getting the wonderfully hilarious 8-bit styling of Retro City Rampage free, as well as extra savings on the continuation of the PSN Holiday Sale.

Important note: We’ll be updating the PlayStation Store today (Monday, 12/24) due to the Christmas holiday. Therefore, this Plus update will be live later today when the update has published.

Don’t have PlayStation Plus? Go to the PlayStation Store on your PS3 or PS Vita or click here to get access.

December 24th PlayStation Plus Update

Retro City Rampage (PS3 and PS Vita)

Free for Plus members

Retro City Rampage pays tribute to games from days gone by, while adopting the open-world gameplay of modern day titles. Crafted by a small team led by Brian Provinciano, the game features an 8-bit art style, complete with amazing chiptunes. Since this a Cross-Buy game, this Plus deal is available for both PS3 and PS Vita Plus members. Check out all the great coverage from this game from the PlayStation Blog and find out why Joystiq.com called it “…the perfect game for gamers…”.
PSN Holiday Essentials Sale (Week 2)

Various discounts for Plus members

The PSN Holiday Essentials sale continues with great deals on a number of amazing titles. Titles that you might be interested include Journey, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, and many more. Take a look at the list below:

Game

$10.49

$7.34

Starhawk

$39.99

$27.99

$19.60

What's the best benefit in this week's Plus update?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

We’ll be back next week with more Plus goodness, but make sure you make your voice heard in the comments below, and also make sure to vote in the polls. Please remember that while we closely look at the results from polls, they are but one of many factors we use when deciding how we move forward or make any changes, if any are made. You can also delve into the PlayStation Community Forums in the PS Plus space to chat more about Plus, find other like-minded gamers, and make friends! Thanks, and see you in the comments.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 9

NITROWOLF_2 said:

December 24th, 10:02 am

Far Cry 3 discount like EU? :(

MarcoRelius said:

December 24th, 10:02 am

Unit 13 is showing up at $17.49 :(

Ghostwize said:

December 24th, 10:03 am

Retro City Rampage!!! I wants me some SE sales. :P Perhaps a discount on PS+ subs?! Gimme! :D

BigClarkDogg said:

December 24th, 10:03 am

This is gonna get expensive :)

swisstylez said:

December 24th, 10:05 am

Woo what a disappointment!!

dodgedoors said:

December 24th, 10:05 am

Nice discounts. Ill get Metal Gear HD, Mafia 2, and Journey. Own RCR but great choice

nolo451 said:

December 24th, 10:06 am

Great update, would have never tried this game otherwise. :) So many thing to buy that are on sale too. :)

subadictos said:

December 24th, 10:06 am

Europe gave a PS+ subscription discount: 25% off.

Can we have the same deal!!!???

Fardeenah said:

December 24th, 10:07 am

disappointing really wished for a better game than that…

StealthReborn-- said:

December 24th, 10:07 am

Have a great Christmas Morgan! Eat lots of turkey! =)

PS: Next week we’ll have another holiday sale special correct? That’ll be the 3rd and final one? Just want to make sure. =)

Morgan Haro's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

December 24th, 10:38 am

That’s right; next week will be the third, and last week for the Holiday Sale rollout. We’ll have more Plus games that week as well on Monday.

dodgedoors said:

December 24th, 10:07 am

Know what I want for Christmas? Remote play for vita on all ps3 games hahaha

juliocsc_BR said:

December 24th, 10:08 am

Plus EU: Mortal Kombat \o/ \o/ \o/
Plus US : Retro City Rampage ; (

Andy10003 said:

December 24th, 10:09 am

I’m pretty satisfied with this weeks update but I have a question. Are the versions of Mafia 2 and Mortal Kombat the editions with the dlc included or just the regular ones?

subadictos said:

December 24th, 10:09 am

WAIT. Post says “Metal Gear Solid HD Collection PS3”. But the other topic says it’s for Vita.

I WANT IT FOR VITA (I already have it for PS3).

What is the real deal???

MarcoRelius said:

December 24th, 10:09 am

So many people complaining about EU. Who cares what they get. This is NA and deal with it. Get a EU account if you want it that bad. These are fantastic sales

Pulkachu said:

December 24th, 10:09 am

I *REALLY* hope tomorrow Santa comes to the PSN and give us all a very nice present, thsese discounts are lousy!

KrisButtar said:

December 24th, 10:10 am

happy holidays

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational Vita for 9 bucks, that is so tempting

sakisyo25 said:

December 24th, 10:10 am

Retro City Rampage is not available on the EU store. Why???

EZaxess said:

December 24th, 10:11 am

I find this update to be pretty cheap for a ‘Christmas’ update and I somehow feel mocked, entitled comment aside.. Nothing for me this week, tough luck, once again.

USRevenge2 said:

December 24th, 10:11 am

free game is ok but EU still gets better deals =\

Andy10003 said:

December 24th, 10:12 am

@14 if we’re lucky we will get it for both but I doubt that. These typos are getting pretty common for the blog >__>

JoseOmatic said:

December 24th, 10:12 am

Not the Holiday deals I was hoping for, but it’s still great! Crossing my fingers for deals on Unfinished Swan, Sound Shapes and Tokyo Jungle next!

Happy Holidays guys!

EZaxess said:

December 24th, 10:12 am

Double post incoming; Oh and merry Christmas Morgan! Despite my dissatisfaction with PS+ I still read and appreciate your blogs, have a good one.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

December 24th, 10:39 am

thanks for the holiday wishes!

tylerthegr8 said:

December 24th, 10:13 am

Oh look you still listed Unit 13s price wrong thats 2 posts. Guess nobody proof reads? sure the firsg time can be marked as accident or w/e but 2x is sad…… u should just give it us for $13 at this point for well basically lying to us

eyehateyou78 said:

December 24th, 10:13 am

why get u just do monthly updates anymore you did before. this is the 3rd time i paid for a game then two weeks later its free i done buying from psn

BubbRubb17 said:

December 24th, 10:14 am

This is a joke right? Why does EU get consistently better games and deals???

GT-420 said:

December 24th, 10:14 am

In the past, I have both praised and defended PLUS as well as been critical of it and expressed my disappointment, but today I will just say…

THANK YOU and MERRY XMAS to Morgan and the entire Sony team!

Hugo_Mundo said:

December 24th, 10:14 am

Sony, please.
Don’t get me wrong, Retro City Rampage is a great game but, when we are going to see some other titles coming to Ps Vita?

theweapon56 said:

December 24th, 10:14 am

unit 13 is showing as 17 bucks for plus but blog shows it for 12 i want it for 12

whyaskdouknow said:

December 24th, 10:14 am

ba hum bug

Loggernaut said:

December 24th, 10:14 am

Great discounts, got MGS HD, Journey and hotshots golf. Sound shapes next week please!

Gorvi said:

December 24th, 10:15 am

Very nice discounts. Still, you guys need to think of something to do for those of us who already own the free Plus games (I already own and love RCR), maybe a small credit to spend on the store or something.

JonJonXD said:

December 24th, 10:15 am

I feel a little upset that Retro City Rampage is already on sale.

I say this because it legit just came out a month or two ago.

I feel like this alienates us from purchasing content day one.

I feel like if you are going to offer any Plus incentive, it should be on the day of release, or at least six months after the title has been out.

punkmusic2009 said:

December 24th, 10:15 am

thank you aboute time we get free stuff for ps vita keep it up please don’t do it in 4 weeks do it every week please

Vitacat-P said:

December 24th, 10:15 am

Very disappointed.

PS+ is generally great, but you missed a big opportunity to garner more PS+ users by not offering anything truly special for Xmas. RCR is a poor game at best.

I’m giving one of my relatives a brand new PS3 today, and was looking forward to telling them about PS+, hoping there would be a nice Xmas update. And all there is this.

Drewcey said:

December 24th, 10:15 am

I was coming to comment on the same thing that Subadictos(post 14) did. Is the MGS HD for PS3 or PS Vita?

Darktoad666 said:

December 24th, 10:16 am

Waiting for next week … Maybe : 3 Mortal Kombat, Resistance, Ninja Gaiden!

NITROWOLF_2 said:

December 24th, 10:18 am

why didn’t this come to US? Would have wanted some sweet deals on new titles

GibbShift said:

December 24th, 10:18 am

I’m down with Retro City Rampage. Also copping that MGS HD Collection. I’ve got some games to delete from the HDD. Still coming up short against PS+ EU, but it was better than last week anyhow. Merry Christmas, everybody.

Xx432 said:

December 24th, 10:19 am

this game looks bad wont even download this for free

Ryumoau said:

December 24th, 10:19 am

sigh…a lame $5 8bit game free. Would rather have just had a discount on Vita games instead. Was curious to get Lumines or DW Next when they’re at a reasonable price.

ADEEL0110 said:

December 24th, 10:20 am

disappointing as always………… Morgan’s trying to match Vanquish and all EU games with tiles like Retro City rampage………. i.e trying to kill a polar bear with flowers.

a question, is there any way to cancel your plus subscription? or move to it to a different region?

ArmyGuyVince said:

December 24th, 10:21 am

Retro was an alright game, but definitely no AAA title. To think, I just purchased 100 dollars worth of PSN cards expecting some better stuff for the X-Mas day. I am now contemplating whether plus service is worth it for me as an individual.

Andy10003 said:

December 24th, 10:21 am

Oh look you actually lied about Metal Gear Solid HD Collection PS3 being on sale and Unit 13 is actually more expensive on the store than is listed here. I revoke my vote from the Store Sale and place it onto Retro City Rampage

claygriffith said:

December 24th, 10:22 am

I don’t think there was a single person hoping for retro city rampage to be the free game this week. Nothing for me here. Time to finish the games I have downloaded frm ps+ so I can consider not renewing.

kenb6870 said:

December 24th, 10:23 am

Metal Gear! Journey! Why can’t they make Journey for Vita? Well, better get my credits together>..

vongruetz said:

December 24th, 10:24 am

Well I think this weeks discounts are more appealing than last weeks. I can’t wait to see what next weeks brings.
And once again, I don’t understand why people are complaining. Why is everyone so obsessed about Europe? Because they got a Batman game for free? They also pay like $12 for a gallon of gas. I think Unit 13 for $13 and Retro City Rampage for FREE is a great deal. Thanks guys.

xClayMeow said:

December 24th, 10:25 am

Yay, finally a Vita game! I would have rather had Big Sky, but Retro City still looks like it could be fun.

aardmadrox said:

December 24th, 10:25 am

Disappointed, they hyped this week’s update last week when people complained about lack of Vita content and this week we get an 8bit psn game. What happened to actual retail games for vita, would love mlb the show or modnation. Hope next week is better…

MrBob2k7 said:

December 24th, 10:25 am

Getting coal from SCEA this Christmas. Nothing for me.

PAGE 1 2 3 9