Horizon Zero Dawn

Jan 03

Jan 03

Download Demon’s Souls on PSN Tuesday

Nich Maragos's Avatar Posted by Editor, ATLUS

Demon's Souls on PSN

A lot of unusual things go on here at ATLUS, and as a publisher known for delivering great JRPG content, Demon’s Souls represented something unique even for us: runaway mainstream success. In the years since its release, Demon’s Souls went far above and beyond our usual humble offerings, partly because it’s such a special game. It’s a Japanese-developed RPG, made by From Software, but it has a distinctly Western look and feel in the weight of its movements and the ruthlessness of its enemies and environments. It’s a single-player title, but it has a strong online component unlike anything that came before it, where you can summon other players as friendly ghosts to give you a hand, or be invaded by hostile marauders without warning. Its unsparing difficulty seemed to mark it as destined to be appreciated only by a select few, yet it’s been universally lauded (and awarded Game of the Year by a few, including GameSpot) and remains our highest-selling title ever.

Demon's Souls on PSN

Demon's Souls on PSNDemon's Souls on PSN

As a thank you to the fans who have supported it this far and kept the servers burning, we’re excited to announce that Demon’s Souls will be available on Tuesday, January 8th, as a digital download on PSN. Now you can buy it from the comfort of your own home; if you haven’t yet tried it for yourself, its price of $19.99 should be a warmer welcome than any bonfire. What’s more, to celebrate the digital launch of Demon’s Souls, we’re holding a Pure White World Tendency event from January 8th to 14th, which slightly reduces the difficulty of the game and opens up a few things that can only be accessed in the Pure White state.

Demon's Souls on PSN

So come on and find out what everyone else who’s played and loved Demon’s Souls already knows: the joys of dying over and over again. And when you do, don’t forget to leave a message for the next unfortunate wretch who’ll come after you. Our favorite? The real Demon’s Souls starts here…

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3

XvNamdeadvX said:

January 3rd, 1:07 pm

Awesome! One of the greatest PlayStation 3 titles of all time. If people haven’t yet played it, now is your chance :)

TerraAshura said:

January 3rd, 1:08 pm

As someone who prefers digital downloads to physical media, this is some extremely welcome news. Day one download easy, ready to get my butt handed to me on a platter.

penguin859 said:

January 3rd, 1:08 pm

This should be free for ps plus, cause we need good games, and JRPGS

RE_Player said:

January 3rd, 1:10 pm

Truly one of the greatest PS3 games. I prefer it over Dark Souls to this day. Looking back so glad Atlus picked this up, they deserve all the sales it garnered for seeing the potential in this game. I don’t think I’ll buy it again, already have the disc, but I will point people to this on PSN for sure.

YungShep said:

January 3rd, 1:10 pm

i got the disc! but i welcome the digital version hands down! thumb access baby!

komentra said:

January 3rd, 1:12 pm

$19.99? No thanks unless there is some kind of PS Plus discount because you can easily get a physical copy for under 15 online. Sometimes even brand new.

Berae said:

January 3rd, 1:13 pm

That game is still one of the best games of this generation!! Cant wait for DEMON’S SOULS 2!

KongWen said:

January 3rd, 1:15 pm

Not just one of the best PS3 games, but along with Dark Souls, one of the best games of this whole generation.

Kchow23 said:

January 3rd, 1:17 pm

Now this would be a great ideas for PS Plus :)

SNORLAXex said:

January 3rd, 1:18 pm

Digital and only $20?
Heck yeah, I wish more games had this treatment.

boxmyth said:

January 3rd, 1:18 pm

One of my favorite games ever. I encourage anyone who hasn’t played it to fix that mistake posthaste.
It’s ‘challenging’ but not ‘impossible’, and that’s what makes it great.

Andy10003 said:

January 3rd, 1:18 pm

Does this mean that the online portion of the game won’t go down anytime soon? You guys were planning to shut it down a while ago, but decided against it a while ago

Nich Maragos's Avatar

Nich Maragos said:

January 3rd, 1:28 pm

Yeah, the servers are up indefinitely at this point, with no planned end date.

KidCommando said:

January 3rd, 1:20 pm

I own the Deluxe Version and have the platinum. Definitely one of my favorite single player experiences this gen.

Good to hear the servers will stay running for those who haven’t played this game yet.

Steadfast and be strong new warriors, don’t give up.

Help I’m in trouble— Recommend this message!

YungShep said:

January 3rd, 1:20 pm

yall need to stop complaining to the Editor of Atlus about what should be free for ps+, he has nothing to do with that, rant to Grace or Morgan, not the Editor of a game company..

luvtoseek said:

January 3rd, 1:23 pm

Amazing game. Zelda for those that want fierce, violent, 3rd person action/rpg hybrid. If I didn’t own a copy, I would by this ASAP. Even though the servers remain up, this epic game can do very much do w/out it. Truly a single-player masterpiece.

BUT-

Like these games by From Software please…

1. Make the story more friendly, I find it overly complex.

2. Everything looks great, except the human facial textures.

3. Adding LOCAL co-op would be taxing, yes… but really cool as the the game can get depressing.

As a Vita owner, I dream of a portable rendition…

GT_168 said:

January 3rd, 1:27 pm

I so hope Sony helps fund a Demon’s Souls 2. I know Dark Souls is out there with Dark Souls 2 on the way. But can’t we have both?

jimmyfoxhound said:

January 3rd, 1:27 pm

YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This game is a true classic and I’ll gladly triple dip for a DL version to keep on my HDD! THANK YOU ATLUS!!!!

While Dark Souls is bigger and grander in scale with some nice refinements, nothing will ever come close to the pure perfection that is Demon’s Souls.

THEdirtybacon said:

January 3rd, 1:27 pm

This is awesome. It would be great if it was added to instant game collection as well. I already have it on disc, but would love to see other people playing it. I may need to dust this off…

Nich Maragos's Avatar

Nich Maragos said:

January 3rd, 1:30 pm

Go ahead and dust that sucker off! The more people floating around, helping/invading and leaving messages, the better.

cronqvist said:

January 3rd, 1:28 pm

I already own Demon’s Souls (collector’s ed., no less!), but it’s great to see it added to the PSN catalog.

Darth-Krayt said:

January 3rd, 1:28 pm

This is good news. I don’t know if I’ll be able to buy it at $20, but if I’m able to get another $20 PSN card this week I’ll be getting this. If you guys could swing a Week 1 Plus discount to like $15 with Sony at the last minute, it would certainly stimulate more sales from Pus members because that’s a great deal.

Personally, I think Demon’s Souls is such an amazing PS3 exclusive and a revolutionary game, I’d like to see it added along with M.A.G. as permanent placements in the Instant Game Collection. They both showcase PS3’s hardware and demographic.

Zerokoolpsx said:

January 3rd, 1:28 pm

Are the loading times improved on the digital version and is there a separate trophy list for this too?

DrApollo said:

January 3rd, 1:29 pm

One of my favorite games if all time. PS+ discount? I own this on disk but would love to download.

Zerokoolpsx said:

January 3rd, 1:29 pm

Wish there was an edit button. Can I use my old demon souls save file on the digital version?

Nich Maragos's Avatar

Nich Maragos said:

January 3rd, 2:16 pm

Yes, the disc version of the Demon’s Souls save file should still be compatible with the download version.

pikabomb55 said:

January 3rd, 1:30 pm

Does anyone have an idea of how much space it will take? I only have 23 gb left on PS3 and I also have limited internet download and use for bandwith. Thank You.

terrencec06 said:

January 3rd, 1:30 pm

I have a disc copy but I still haven’t gotten too deep into it. I’m always so lost on that game.

Darth-Krayt said:

January 3rd, 1:30 pm

ANd also, 3-D Dot Game Heroes would be another smart game to release digitally on PSN.

Conaaando said:

January 3rd, 1:32 pm

Free for PSN Plus, uuuhhh??!?!? :-)

I’ll be getting this one. o/

liledawg said:

January 3rd, 1:33 pm

Praise the sun! Oh wait wrong game hehe, but heck Praise the sun that it will be downloadable on PSN! Im ready to go back and play this again, it’s been awhile, really great game.

kivi95 said:

January 3rd, 1:33 pm

Any plans for us in Europe?

Nich Maragos's Avatar

Nich Maragos said:

January 3rd, 1:34 pm

Not sure about that. It would be up to Namco Bandai, who handled the game there.

AriesWarlock said:

January 3rd, 1:34 pm

I have a question, can you at least backup your saves to the cloud? That’s why I hate copy-protected save files, we should be able to back up our saves to a USB drive for our peace of mind.

Blkant said:

January 3rd, 1:39 pm

“A warmer welcome than any bonfire”, intentional or not, I see what you did there. :P

Couldn’t have loved this game more, it is one of the few games that was the only reason this generation of games kept my interest, and immediately became one of my favorite games of all time. What I would do for a proper sequel… (Dark Souls was terrible by comparison). Though sadly it seems this wont happen. :(

I kept my original copy of Demon’s Souls though, (and never getting rid of it :P), so is there any benefits to this one? Perhaps, allowing me to re-earn the trophies? :)

OvertechBroch said:

January 3rd, 1:46 pm

This is awesome! I’m hoping Ni no Kuni also gets a digital release later in the month. I’d love it if every PS3 game was available on PSN.

MP_is_for_Chumps said:

January 3rd, 1:49 pm

Always good to see a genuinely quality title go digital :)

…only problem is that i read to get the best outta Demon Souls, u gotta hope ppl are still connected online. Game is kinda old now to hope for any real number of online players lol.

btw, weren’t they supposed to be shutting down the online servers like in 20010? or is that in Europe?

…either way, it’s another obvious example of why MP dependent games are the biggest con of this generation.

Keep lapping it up Chumps! :D

Elvick_ said:

January 3rd, 1:49 pm

Atlus USA does what SCEA is too short sighted to do.

Picking this up was brilliant move.

MP_is_for_Chumps said:

January 3rd, 1:51 pm

*2010

mixedkidbx said:

January 3rd, 1:52 pm

UMBASA!!!!

mixedkidbx said:

January 3rd, 1:52 pm

Srry but Umbasa is way better than Praise the Sun…. IMO…

Ryumoau said:

January 3rd, 2:01 pm

I hope theres a PS Plus discount, becuase I’m not paying more than $14.99 on a purposely difficult game. I have no interest in measuring contests in gaming.
Though this would be the perfect candidate for the PS Plus IGC. We haven’t had an rpg yet. :/

subadictos said:

January 3rd, 2:08 pm

Wow… one of my TOP FIVE games on PS3 (Uncharted 2, Red Dead Redemption, Heavy Rain and Metal Gear 4 are the other ones). I loved it… much better than Dark Souls, another great game by the way. And I LOVE how difficult it is. Another gem from ATLUS, one my favorite developer along with Naughty Dog.

Nich… can you give us some news about Persona 5? I played Persona 4, I’m playing Persona 3 right now… waiting desperately the next game!!! XD

Nich Maragos's Avatar

Nich Maragos said:

January 3rd, 2:12 pm

Sorry, no news, but I’m glad you’re enjoying P4 and P3! Have you tried P4 Golden?

BlueBl1zzard said:

January 3rd, 2:09 pm

Awesome game, cool to see it on PSN but I already have a physical copy. So many fond memories from this game. From seeing the “The real Demon’s Souls starts here…” message for the first time, to being so relieved after seeing the real time “ghost” of another player before a really hard boss fight and thinking “Okay, I’m not alone, I can do this”, to realizing what (or who) the Old Monk boss is. This was such a great game – the different environments, the combat (I really enjoyed), the enemies and bosses, the multiplayer, this game was full of creativity. For the newcomers all I can say is stick with it, this game can seem overwhelming at times, like it personally doesn’t want you to beat it, but keep going. This game really gives you a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction after you overcome challenges that I don’t think compares to many others. Good luck and “Praise the sun!”…..oh wait wrong game.

D-Squad3 said:

January 3rd, 2:10 pm

Sony should’ve kept the Souls franchise exclusive.

actio1_618 said:

January 3rd, 2:10 pm

Thank you. Now I can stay here for a little while longer.

BlueBl1zzard said:

January 3rd, 2:11 pm

Now all this Demon’s Souls talk makes me want to go back and platinum this. Anyone got some pure bladestone they’re willing to drop?

xClayMeow said:

January 3rd, 2:12 pm

Wish the article also said, “and now playable on the VITA!”

Any chance of Demon’s Souls or Dark Souls for Vita?

ChibsSoA said:

January 3rd, 2:14 pm

I’d eat this up for $15 with a PS+ discount or something, but I’m going to take a pass if it’s $20. Game is too old to get me to pay that much.

BlueBl1zzard said:

January 3rd, 2:21 pm

Oh and PLEASE can you guys make a “souls” game for Vita? Even if if it’s a re-release of Demon’s Souls I would love you guys forever

DNAgent said:

January 3rd, 2:25 pm

There needs to be a Demon’s Souls 2! I’m not really interested in the dark souls games because they don’t feel the same. Sony should have someone make it since they own the IP (well, that & Heavenly Sword 2).

Cyb3rfr34k-iso said:

January 3rd, 2:27 pm

err 20$!? really?! the game was 9.99$ for over the last 8 month at ebgames.
im tired of that shhiitt…

Yohmaru_EX said:

January 3rd, 2:33 pm

please, free for plus or at least 50% discount!!!

blakseed said:

January 3rd, 2:38 pm

@3

Dang, not everything should be free for plus. How about you show a little support and buy this awesome game.

PAGE 1 2 3