PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

The Drop: New Releases for the Week of January 8th, 2013

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar + Posted by Rey Gutierrez on Jan 06, 2013 // Senior Social Media Specialist

This week, the fan-favorite franchise Earth Defense Force goes portable with EDF2017 Portable on PS Vita. The notoriously unforgiving Demon’s Souls comes to PSN, so you can download it straight to your PS3. Platinum Games’ Anarchy Reigns hits PS3 at retail (for just $29.99). A number of Dora the Explorer PS2 Classics make their way to PlayStation Store, and a few other gems round out this week’s update.

Enjoy this week’s The Drop.

Anarchy Reigns on PS3

PS3

• Anarchy Reigns ($29.99 retail)

Demon's Souls on PSN

204 Comments

+ darth_orange93 on January 6th, 2013 at 9:16 pm said:

EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF!

+ freelee11 on January 6th, 2013 at 9:22 pm said:

Dora the Freaken Explorer? Are you effen kidding me? Wow…. FFS what a waste

+ Ryumoau on January 6th, 2013 at 9:26 pm said:

@61 if you are seriously using the ‘Real Gamer’ tag as an insult against people who dislike games you like, you’re a bigger idiot than i originally thought. There are no such thing. Everyone is a gamer, regardless of how casual or ‘hardcore’ you nerds want to label certain games.

@92 i really hope Ni No Kuni is day one digital as well. Hopefully cheaper though.

+ dyiing4life on January 6th, 2013 at 9:38 pm said:

Now theres nothing wrong with adding more kid stuff to the store. But there’s just so much potential with the PS2 classics section. Why not release Bully? or Indigo Prophecy?

+ ScarReaper83 on January 6th, 2013 at 9:49 pm said:

bully is on the ps store

+ PainOfSarrow on January 6th, 2013 at 9:56 pm said:

dyiing4life

BULLY was just recently put on the store. ahaa

+ RonZombie91 on January 6th, 2013 at 10:07 pm said:

Dore the Explorer? REALLY? No PS2 classics for us serious gamers? Why is it that they put GTA3 on PSN, then went straight to San Andreas. Skipping the best GTA game of all time…Vice City! I NEED that game.

+ Gamescook on January 6th, 2013 at 10:19 pm said:

So Dora the Explorer and Disney games get priority, but the only legal way for us to own and play something like Suikoden II is still by us buying some scuffed up secondhand discs off of eBay for $100?

I recognize that Sony is a business and that investing in getting licensed games onto the PSN sooner is going to generate way more revenue than adding a less popular critical darling, I do. But it doesn’t mean we have to like it. So poo on Sony and Konami for not giving us a way to buy Suikoden II for a reasonable price! Poo I say!

+ Elvick_ on January 6th, 2013 at 10:37 pm said:

I have no issues with the Dora games. “Classic” is marketing term, I keep telling you people this. Accept it, move on with life.

No different than “Greatest Hits”. They really weren’t always “great”, but people don’t seem to complain about that. Shoo.

I would like it if they offset some of these more child oriented classic updates with something else though. Like… Wild Arms 3! :D

D;

@34: That’s exactly what I did with New Little King’s Story too! :D Here’s hoping EDF 2017 is physical there, because I will import it then. Otherwise, I guess I miss out. Because this kind of game for me is one I would much rather play on a portable, than a console. So buying the original 360 version, or buying the new game coming out for consoles (forgot the title) isn’t really in my mind.

+ Elvick_ on January 6th, 2013 at 10:39 pm said:

@107: Well, there could be legal reasons. But if that’s the case, then Konami should come out and say so. Like Capcom did about Mega Man Legends 1 & 2.

I don’t know why companies continue to leave fans wondering if it’s just them being lazy, out of touch, cheap or if there are legal issues involved preventing digital release. They could just say so.

+ WilHiteWarrior on January 6th, 2013 at 10:44 pm said:

lol you guys sure use the word “Classic” very liberally

+ Elvick_ on January 6th, 2013 at 10:47 pm said:

@57: Oh, thanks for the reminder! This was a hideous and lazy Drop. I’m very disappointed in the lack of effort put into it.

@82: I recall some Spongebob game being added a long time ago.

+ RulitoCR on January 6th, 2013 at 11:07 pm said:

Come to me Dora!! lol

+ duke301 on January 6th, 2013 at 11:20 pm said:

I might pick up EDF2017 if the price is right, but that is about all for me this week. Also, I have to ask – What, exactly, is the rationale behind the release of PS2 classics like Dora the Explorer? Are you guys trying harder to appeal to the 3-6 year-old girl demographic? Every week, I read peoples’ comments clamoring to bring out a wide range of different titles, some of them good, but I don’t think I have ever seen someone request Dora the Explorer. You might consider reading the comments, see which titles are the most requested, like Kingdom Hearts, and release those titles. From what I understand, there is some considerable work involved in converting the games so that they work on PS3, so why wouldn’t you spend the time converting titles that people are actually going to want? In closing, I have to say – I hope your servers don’t get too overloaded from those millions of people downloading Dora the Explorer this Tuesday!

+ AsiaQatar on January 6th, 2013 at 11:44 pm said:

Dora Saves The Crystal Kingdom
Dora Saves The Mermaids
Dora Saves The Snow Princess
=
Everyone Saves Their Money For Another Week

We got money. Why don’t you want it? Why release stuff no-ones going to buy?

+ siEgE_rEtRo on January 7th, 2013 at 12:01 am said:

Please include Rogue Galaxy at PS2 Classics

+ Obrusnine on January 7th, 2013 at 12:41 am said:

Dora for PS2 Classics? WTF?

What about Summoner 1+2? I would totally pick those up.

+ yesimasian2 on January 7th, 2013 at 12:47 am said:

Dora the Explorer on PS2 … all my hopes and dreams…

+ Brooklyn1562 on January 7th, 2013 at 1:00 am said:

Hiya fellow gamers and Sony affiliates! ^_^b Unlike the acerbic majority (putting it respectfully), I’m not totally displeased about the lack of “highlight” titles. I’m the type of individual that lets bygones be bygones and accepts whatever comes his direction. Yes, this last month has been rather parched with each weekly enrolled game hitting where it counted, albeit missed the bullseye, but nowhere unfathomably close to a fiasco. I must say that some of the PSPlus discounts were en fuego though, namely *Two Worlds II: Velvet GOTY Edition* for a mere $5. Inconceivable, right? :D Well, my point is that nobody should feel short-changed here, or out for comeuppance due to an unwanted game being up for purchase. Everything will coalesce when the time is proper! ;) 2K13 shall be a lofty year!!!! I’m anticipating the succeeding titles (ahem, that will definitely be SUCCEEDING):

- Bioshock: Infinite
- Crysis 3
- DmC: Devil May Cry
- Dead Space 3
- GTA V (Unsure if release has been validated)
- Sly Cooper (4): Thieves In Time
- The Last of Us

So cut Sony some slack and spare them the lectures they receive more often then they should! :P Salutations for now!

+ Draygen- on January 7th, 2013 at 1:37 am said:

Dear PlayStation & Fans…I truly hope you can hear the sarcasm of my voice while you are reading this but, can you PLEASE give us the game “Winky the Little Bear” as a PS1 Classic? You will truly fill that void of emptiness inside of me if you do just that. Because you know just how much your fans want that sort of game. We don’t care about those “other” games like Kingdom Hearts 1&2, Final Fantasy XII, Monster Hunter…(input your favorite ps or ps2 game here). Again, PLEASE shower us with all your awesome PS or PS2 titles like Dora the Explorer (PS), Barbie as The Island Princess (PS2),Princess Lover! Eternal Love for My Lady (PS2),Play with the Teletubbies (PS) etc…you will bring a tear to my eye if you do this. Not a tear of sadness, but a tear of happy thoughts that all those wonderful and memorable games said above have given not just to me, but to all your loyal PlayStation/PlayStation + Fans that has stuck with you through the good and the bad. Just remember that.

Sincerely Draygen-

+ invalidts2 on January 7th, 2013 at 1:55 am said:

God Of War Ascension beta comes out this week,

not even mad.

+ DARK_SHOGUN_666 on January 7th, 2013 at 2:22 am said:

Demon Souls is a great addition to PSN. Even though I just picked it up last week for $10.

Oh well saved some money and hard drive space

+ Madjod_TH on January 7th, 2013 at 2:46 am said:

I need Soul Sacrifice Demo but What?? Dora ??? Really man!!!! DAMN!!!!!

+ xxnike629xx on January 7th, 2013 at 4:33 am said:

SCEA.. Really?!

Dora the Explorer: Dora Saves the Crystal Kingdom
Dora the Explorer: Dora Saves the Mermaids
Dora the Explorer: Dora Saves the Snow Princess
Go Diego Go! Great Dinosaur Rescue
Go Diego Go! Safari Rescue

Whatever happened to stuff like:

Grandia II
Grandia III
Grandia Xtreme
Grand Theft Auto III
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII
Brave Fencer Musashi (PSone Classic)
Musashi Samurai Warriors
Ehrgeiz

Why would you guys spend the money getting these 5 games? I mean out of all the PS1 and PS2 Classics you could’ve given… >_>

+ kakasij6 on January 7th, 2013 at 4:40 am said:

Dora the Explorer free for plus members please!!! that’s the only way to stop all the people hating on plus :)

+ death_by_wabbit on January 7th, 2013 at 4:50 am said:

@kakasij6 That’s what I’m holding out for. Dora now or I drop my dub, lol

+ Scaramanga1983 on January 7th, 2013 at 4:52 am said:

I would like to see PSN games and PS2 Classics making their way to the PS Vita. Those indie, oldschool and arcade games, like Journey, Flower, Limbo, Outland, Mega Man 9, Crazy Taxi, Daytona USA, GTA San Andreas and many more, would be at home on Vita.

And please do a sale on DLC. There are some nice things to add to a game, but most are overpriced.

+ death_by_wabbit on January 7th, 2013 at 4:53 am said:

*drop my sub…I hate no edit button or a least a delete

+ VitorSV on January 7th, 2013 at 5:23 am said:

Earth Defense Force for $19.99 please?

+ zabcdef123456 on January 7th, 2013 at 5:37 am said:

WTF?Dora the Exp.?I cant even finish the name.With all the great Ps2 games we request ,this is what they give us?And how many of them?And I agree with #3 this new drop listing format very lazy and cheap looking.Like why did they bother ruining the PS Store (Trying to make it look fancy meanwhile now its just slow and annoying) if they are just going to cheapen other things.

+ purse317 on January 7th, 2013 at 5:43 am said:

I’m all for releasing older ps2 games for all players out their but guys with the crazy backlog of games out their who decided on Dora seriously

+ zultan8212 on January 7th, 2013 at 5:54 am said:

Two things…

1. This new format is horrible
2. Dora the Explorer? Seriously???

+ DonkeyKongKilla on January 7th, 2013 at 5:59 am said:

Have to admire the sarcasm for Dora. Haha… So funny. But Someone’s kid is going to have fun aye.

+ DonkeyKongKilla on January 7th, 2013 at 6:01 am said:

Imagine, How many people would be pissed if they released dora for playstation plus these coming months? The people that bash complainers probably would not have anything to say. Seeing how they dropped it on PSN stores hey who knows what plus is in stored for.

+ boomstickbhg on January 7th, 2013 at 6:07 am said:

Will the store ever be fixed?

There are still a bunch of games and a bunch of DLC that never made it to the new store and cannot be found under any category for browsing, and don’t show up in the new ‘search’ function that doesn’t actually let you search.

Plese bring back a real search that lets us search for any word we want and get a list of results, the ‘predictive’ text is useless when items don’t show up ever.

Some things that are no longer in the ‘new’ store are in my DL list (but some of my DL items have also vanished!!!! I PAID FOR THOSE ITEMS!), but when you have 2000 or so items in your DL list, there’s no sort or search function for it, and you have the new, very slow to load, overly graphic dependant list, the store always times out/error/etc… before I can search half the list. Then I have to start at the beginning and time out again…

Please fix the store, since the work on the Blog is going progressively downhill, the VERY LEAST you can do is have a functioning store, without items missing for months.

+ shmagegy on January 7th, 2013 at 6:16 am said:

Wow, it’s 2013, and yet Sony still doesn’t put any good games, or demos on PSN. I don’t care if you guys don’t read these or not, but for the love of god, please let us get a demo of metal gear reveangence, aliens:colonial marines, or Dead Space 3, i know you can get a demo of the new metal gear game on an hd remake of that one HD store bought game, but paying $30.00 a game to play a demo of a 2013, or 2014 release is just stupid. Demos are meant for public view, and play . you don’t have to have special acces like playstation plus, pre-order, or any other method to play a demo from a good game, that is also stupid.

+ JewStation on January 7th, 2013 at 6:28 am said:

Well Sony, you have no idea what those DORA/DIEGO games mean to me… will eventually get them all… in loving memory Princess Lilly Valentine…. your baby brother will enjoy them just the same <3

+ TheSyk on January 7th, 2013 at 6:38 am said:

Didn’t Demon Soul close its online servers some time ago?

+ frpodo on January 7th, 2013 at 6:41 am said:

Ok, now giveme the ps plus bad news…

+ RE4LNOiZE_42 on January 7th, 2013 at 6:42 am said:

Yay for EDF being released on the VITA. BOO to it being download only and 40$. And this coming from a die-hard EDF fan, I think it means something.

I mean, EDF has always been a “budget”-type title with its niche market. I understand that on the “bigger” consoles, 40$ is a “budget” release, as most new games get released at 60. But releasing what is considered a budget game (even if it’s a director’s cut of some sort of a 6 years old game with some extra content) for full retail price on the Vita for a download-only version (where most games are released at 40$), is pretty insulting, IMO.

Whatever happenned to the physical copy release? I would’ve paid 40$ for that. NOT for a download-only version.

Oh, and I understand that Sony probably isn’t responsible for fixing prices or what is released every week. They probably approve everything, but I guess it’s more about the publishers than Sony. So please people, stop blaming Sony for everything.

+ UnholyBahamut on January 7th, 2013 at 6:47 am said:

“Go Diego Go!”? I din’t know there was a game with my name LOL

+ kakasij6 on January 7th, 2013 at 6:48 am said:

@death_by_wabbit We should at least get a discount or something, lol

+ CrazyGuy62 on January 7th, 2013 at 6:49 am said:

DORA AND DIEGO GAMES??? You have no idea how happy that makes me!! *sarcasm ends* Well, at least my girls will enjoy those games!!

I’m wondering what will be the free game for this week PS+ update? Also, I have 2 thoughts in my head: If I made a wager on 2 things and on most ps+ blogs, i’ve noticed this pattern: 1) Ryumoau WILL NOT be happy ANYTHING that comes on the PS+!! I doesn’t matter if it’s the dream games they have been going nuts about for months if not years!! and 2) PrimeroIncognito, KidCommando or someone else entirely will have something to say about it and will lead to a giant spat!!

+ Alenth26 on January 7th, 2013 at 7:05 am said:

I don’t see the issue with Dora the Explorer games as PS2 titles in PSN, not eveyrone plays the same games as us, even if they are a minority, yeah eveyone would like to see KH games, Contra shattered soldier, etc. but i hope we cant get those titles soon.

+ The5panky on January 7th, 2013 at 7:09 am said:

Really…….No Vice City?

+ RE4LNOiZE_42 on January 7th, 2013 at 7:23 am said:

People, please. I’ve read somewhere someone wishing Mr. Gates buys Sony, implying that this would improve things. How? Right now, this competitor is offering a mess of a user interface, full of ads, which makes finding most things very hard. Plus, it charges you for letting you access stuff that is free everywhere else (online multiplayer, apps like Netflix, a web browser, etc.) and it practically NEVER gives ANYTHING for free. I know, I’ve been there for many years.

Also, I think people don’t understand that maybe it’s not Sony’s fault. Sony don’t own the publishing rights of every game released on their current or past systems. Sure, Sony could improve. But if, let’s say, company X wants to release a PS2 title on PSN, but only in europe, what can Sony do? It’s not their game. And let’s say company X wants to release a game nobody wants on PSN, and pay Sony to do so?

Sony might not be those we should complain about. At least, not the only one.

And PS+ has given me hundreds of $ over the last year in various games. So what if the last few weeks weren’t very generous (according to some)?

+ electronicpart on January 7th, 2013 at 7:32 am said:

Nothing for me this week.

+ KaneTheGoth on January 7th, 2013 at 7:48 am said:

Regarding Vice City, I hear there are licensing issues over the Michel Jackson songs

+ Johnny_Leyenda on January 7th, 2013 at 8:00 am said:

Anarchy Reigns looks really fun and for that price it’s a definite buy.
If you don’t have Demon’s Souls do yourself a favor and BUY IT. It’s worth every single cent, and more.

Other than that…Dora the Explorer? REALLY? Since when is that a Classic? I know it’s not up to Sony to pick the games, but please, try harder…we want Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest, Star Ocean III, CvS2, not Dora the Explorer…

And off-topic, but has the free PS+ game been confirmed yet?

+ PAININTHAOOD on January 7th, 2013 at 8:02 am said:

Does anyone need a 1-Month PS+ Membership? I wont use mine from the God Of War Saga Box because you need a credit card for this 30 days trial.

E575-3BNM-8M5B