Final Fantasy XV

Jan 09

Jan 09

December 2012 PSN Top Sellers: Journey Reclaims The Top Spot

Morgan Haro's Avatar Posted by Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

Securing placement on several Game of the Year lists, as well as receiving accolades for its gameplay, music, and delivery on a truly breakthrough experience, Journey returns to the top of these charts in a fitting good-bye to 2012.

Other notable PS3 entries include the original Mass Effect, which debuted on the PS3 for the first time earlier in December. New release Guardians of Middle Earth cracked the top ten, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale continued to delight gamers, while other Game of the Year favorite The Walking Dead made its mark on the chart.

2012 was quite a year for the PlayStation Network, which offered the best in download only games like Journey, or The Unfinished Swan, as well as new-release AAA titles like Far Cry 3 and Assassin’s Creed 3. We’re excited to bring you more great content in 2013, so keep your eye on these charts to see what next year’s shakers and movers will be!

Top 20 PSN and PS3 Full Games

1. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  2. Bully
  3. Grand Theft Auto 3
  4. Midnight Club 3 DUB Edition Remix
  5. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES

Top 5 PS one Classics

1. FINAL FANTASY VII (PS3/PSP/PS Vita)
  2. FINAL FANTASY IX (PS3/PSP/PS Vita)
  3. LEGEND OF DRAGOON (PS3/PSP)
  4. FINAL FANTASY VIII (PS3/PSP/PS Vita)
  5. Crash Bandicoot (PS3/PSP)

Top 5 PSP Games

4. Zombie Racers
  5. PAC-MAN Championship Edition

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

TRIX_BOL said:

January 9th, 9:06 am

Journey at the top of the Mountain!

naDOOFUS said:

January 9th, 9:06 am

Does Pac-man Championship Edition finally work on the Vita?

poodude said:

January 9th, 9:08 am

I know I picked up a bunch of those games thanks to the holiday sales – Journey included. Now I just need to find time to play it!

Morgan Haro's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

January 9th, 9:50 am

Just set aside 3 – 4 hours and enjoy one of the best gaming experiences ever! I actually played it about 2 – 3 times over, not to mention the few times I watched others playing it. Definitely worth it =)

Destiny89 said:

January 9th, 9:11 am

Good to see Journey in the Top and congrats to LBP Vita, i sure bought one during the sales

Femup said:

January 9th, 9:12 am

With the massive discount Two Worlds II had, its no surprise to see that on the list. I must find the time to crack into that myself.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

Morgan Haro said:

January 9th, 9:51 am

I’ve heard good things, but haven’t had time to play it myself. Hope you enjoy it!

Morgan Haro's Avatar

Cade Peterson said:

January 9th, 6:23 pm

I’ve been playing Two Worlds II (couldn’t resist the deal), and enjoying it more than I’d like to admit.

Jotamide said:

January 9th, 9:14 am

Good to see Okami and Guilty Gear up there. Those 2 are amazing games.

PainOfSarrow said:

January 9th, 9:23 am

Journey againn im not surprised. Blahhh… Two Worlds II was dirt cheap but complete waste of my 5 bucks. deleted from HDD… i enjoy Uno more for 5… luv the impossible mini… as for Jetpack Joyride, what a nicee free treat. i usualy dont like most minis but that one was very good and addicting.

mcbuttz78 said:

January 9th, 9:24 am

yup :)

mcbuttz78 vp- psn legioniaree group

remanutd5 said:

January 9th, 9:35 am

very glad to see Little Big Planet as top psvita game download,totally deserves it. And really happy to see Oddworld Stranger’s Wrath HD up there too, totally awesome game but i really feel for Sega, Sonic&All Stars Racing Transformed should be on the that list, the game is totally awesome, with lots of modes, up to 8 players online for only $29.99, others try to sell old ports for more money.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

Sid Shuman said:

January 10th, 10:43 am

Yeah, good month for quality PS Vita games for sure!

poodude said:

January 9th, 9:41 am

@remanutd5

You’re referring to D3 with EDF: 2017, right? If so, I agree. I was really looking forward to that one but the price is just insulting. Sega deserves more recognition in general *looks at $30 copy of Anarchy Reigns sitting on desk*.

otic101 said:

January 9th, 10:05 am

Congrats on journey getting 1st place again this title will be going up and down for a long time it’s a great game

ChaosMafioso said:

January 9th, 10:12 am

Cool seeing Sonic Adventure 2, Guilty Gear and Persona 3 FES up there. Bought them already ^^

BlueBl1zzard said:

January 9th, 10:46 am

I’d like to think that holiday sale contributed to this list quite a bit. I picked up quite a few things from the sale that are now on this list, Journey, Two Worlds II, and LBP vita being some of them!

Satnamji said:

January 9th, 10:56 am

I think there may come a time when the full games and PSN games will need to be in separate lists. Seems like comparing apples and oranges, a $60 game like Far Cry 3 and a $5 The Walking Dead episode.

On that note, glad to see Mass Effect at the top of the full game heap! I’ve sunk over 100 hours into it and counting.

GranpireV said:

January 9th, 11:09 am

It’s a little disappointing not to see Need For Speed: Most Wanted break into either of the top seller lists. Nice to see Unit 13 still making a dent in the Vita list, though. That game has some quality gunplay.

four24twenty said:

January 9th, 11:29 am

Impressive top 20 list! There are 5 games on it that I will get when I have the time. I notice that the Unfinished Swan is absent from the list, could we get it on Plus pretty please Mr. Haro?

Elvick_ said:

January 9th, 11:33 am

@7: The free versions are native to PS3 and Vita. The Mini version is $4.

four24twenty said:

January 9th, 11:36 am

Random Plus question of the day:

If Plus offers a discounted rate on a PSN title, is it fair to assume that said title will NOT be made available free in the future?

(Still trying to figure out how not to purchase games to be made available free in the future).

Thank you!

zzamaro said:

January 9th, 11:36 am

lol at UNO PSP

I’m sure UNO is there because people found a way to exploit the Vita(seach vita uno on youtube) when launching that game.

remanutd5 said:

January 9th, 11:47 am

so when are you guys adding top 5 psmobile games? and trophies, scoreboards and more playstation network support to psmobile games?

DarkOne_PR said:

January 9th, 11:57 am

Isnt about time Square Enix and Sony Make that D.A.M.N FF7 remake with all the MONEY they have made with FF7 PSN!!!!!!!!!!!!?????

anyways…. glad very glad to see Persona4 and LBP vita up there! :)

artform-fazeone said:

January 9th, 11:59 am

An impressive list.!!!!

MatheusRuggeri said:

January 9th, 12:15 pm

hahahahahaha
UNO for PSP, why this game sales too much?

Next Vita firmware update nobody will play anymore.

TaidoHanako787B said:

January 9th, 12:43 pm

Journey is a great game to calm oneself down before having to hammer out a long college report. I just need to get Okami HD now. I have had playstation plus from the first weeks it was out. I just hope the new people to it in 2013 are enjoying plus heavily.

zombie9 said:

January 9th, 1:00 pm

I bought it when it was on sale last month and I replaced my HDD and now I can’t download Journey unless I go to my download list. seems the PS store is just giving Journey keys and not the Demo. Wipeout HD and Hustle Kings all on the PS3 side of the store and I get VITA versions of them. PS store is getting crappy sorry to say.

PhillyTheCat said:

January 9th, 1:51 pm

Top 5 PS one Classics

1. FINAL FANTASY VII (PS3/PSP/PS Vita) 2. FINAL FANTASY IX (PS3/PSP/PS Vita) 3. LEGEND OF DRAGOON (PS3/PSP) 4. FINAL FANTASY VIII (PS3/PSP/PS Vita) 5. Crash Bandicoot (PS3/PSP)

Crash Bandicoot within the top 5 should tell you something…
Where the heck is the “Vita” compatibility?

PhillyTheCat said:

January 9th, 2:00 pm

Top 5 PS one Classics

Crash Bandicoot within the top 5 should tell you something…
Where the heck is the “Vita” compatibility?

Legend of Dragoon….which I have transferred from my PS3 should be on the Vita store already.
Blood Omen(CAN NOT BE TRANSFERRED! GRR!!)
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Silent Hill
Metal Gear

That’s just naming a few games not on the Vita store.

nolo451 said:

January 9th, 2:11 pm

Finally picked up Journey during the sale. :) Still have not even tried it because of all the free games I have sitting on my HDD waiting to be played.

Kchow23 said:

January 9th, 2:16 pm

Great to see Journey, LBP Vita, Persona 4 and Walking Dead at the top of their respective lists.

Kchow23 said:

January 9th, 2:27 pm

Does Cross buy count as a sale? for PS All-stars case? Just wondering.

shrimpdude said:

January 9th, 2:34 pm

Final Fantasy is permanently affixed to the top of the PSOne Classics, ahah

kiikooo said:

January 9th, 3:00 pm

How long will we wait for Crash ps1 on vita??????????????????????

branant221 said:

January 9th, 3:18 pm

More people need to buy Persona 4 Golden. It is clearly one of the best games I played in the last 8 years.

dyiing4life said:

January 9th, 3:19 pm

Wait! How long has Bully and MC3 been available as PS2 classics!?

BlueBl1zzard said:

January 9th, 3:37 pm

@four24twenty I believe they try to avoid giving out games for free that have recently on sale, but it has happened before. Although don’t forget that unlike free games, games bought at a discount are yours to keep even if your Plus subscription expires

OmegaSpear said:

January 9th, 3:37 pm

Good

starBlinky01 said:

January 9th, 4:21 pm

Okay now where is the top sellers of the entire 2012?

BigTallChris said:

January 9th, 4:55 pm

I also finally picked up Journey during the sale. I was worried that when I play, there won’t be many other players any more and I won’t get as good of an experience.

Glad to hear that it was the top seller! I still haven’t played it…..waiting for a nice three or four hour UNDISTURBED time gap to play. And I’m really glad that there will be many others playing, too.

CmdrSinclair said:

January 9th, 5:15 pm

I wanted to buy Journey when it was on sale but I missed it because the store updated on a Monday instead of Tuesday! I totally forgot it was going to do that! Arggh!! Who knows when my next chance will be…

purse317 said:

January 9th, 5:22 pm

I hope they notice few of those holiday sale titles cracked the top 20.

WE WANT GOOD GAMES AND WILL GLADLY PAY FOR THEM

remanutd5 said:

January 9th, 5:34 pm

bring Warhawk, Fat Princess and Dead Nation to the vita, thank you.

Edzo04ps said:

January 9th, 6:08 pm

put uno back on the store you know they will find another exploit

UnholyBahamut said:

January 9th, 6:12 pm

wow after all this time, Final Fantast is still in the Top 5 PS one Classics. Epic games are just epic.

perrox5000 said:

January 9th, 6:45 pm

two worlds 2, nice. got for the holiday sale. it’s really a good game, really bad acting but overall fun to play. Have invested 20 + hrs. recomended.

SpooNManX said:

January 9th, 7:09 pm

“Top 5 PSP Games”
People are still buying PSP games??

Dioscuri_MEX said:

January 9th, 7:21 pm

Yes; great December Sale! I indulge myself with Two Worlds II, Soundshapes, Skullgirls and Journey!

Great time to own a Vita and Ps3!

PS- When will Valkirya Chrnicles 2 available for the vita? I own the firs one and was amazed by the overall experience

Sevyne said:

January 9th, 7:40 pm

@45: Yes, because it actually does have a lot of good games.

Sevyne said:

January 9th, 7:41 pm

To add to my comment about PSP having good games;

Corpse Party: Book of Shadows next week! YEAH! Everyone better buy the hell out of it.

dodgedoors said:

January 9th, 7:52 pm

@32 kiikooo

I’m hoping they are holding off on crash because they are coming out with an hd collection for the vita. All those titles remastered in HD with trophies would be wonderfully EPIC. The vita is the perfect medium for more HD classics. There are like at least 5 franchises I can think about ,that if Sony were smart ,would already be on the Vita.

Sly

R&C

GOW

Jak

Crash

saab01 said:

January 9th, 8:28 pm

I was going to get Crazy Taxi but with the mixed reviews I didn’t want to risk it even if it was only $2.50.

PAGE 1 2