Star Wars Battlefront

Jan 10

Crafting the Horrifying World of Siren, Out on PSN Tuesday

Takafumi Fujisawa's Avatar Posted by Takafumi Fujisawa on Jan 10, 2013 // Former Executive Producer & Vice President, WWS Japan Studio

Siren for PSN (PS2 Classic)

The SIREN project started in the autumn months of the new 21st century. I was very fortunate to have been surrounded by a very talented team of people on my team. Together with Game Director Keiichiro Toyama, Scenario Writer Naoko Sato, and Art Director Isao Takahashi, I sat down to discuss concepts. We then extended the discussions to excellent creators both internally and externally for a collaborative production effort.

We were on a mission to formulate a form of fear or horror that would resonate with an audience regardless of their cultural background, and to deliver that from a very intentionally Japanese perspective. Thorough studies sprung our inspirations, which then became our core for producing SIREN. No room for compromise, but plenty of room for the sense of playful creativity, we progressed to develop a Japanese Modern Horror that could reach out and be appreciated by the world. The feeling of hopelessness caused by close ones, who, one by one are transformed into your enemy, the dreadful or creepy feeling of seeing yourself through the eyes of others, and an environment unique to SIREN that pulled you right in all led to the bloodcurdling experience that only a game could take you through.

SIREN enjoyed a worldwide release along with sequential releases, and expansions into a movie, novel and other forms of multimedia, something that I along with the team are very grateful for. The most memorable moment was being approached by the master of horror movies, Sam Raimi, with an offer to make a movie based on SIREN. I must say this was a very rewarding moment for all of us who had worked very hard to make SIREN what it was.

Siren for PSN (PS2 Classic)

Siren for PSN (PS2 Classic)Siren for PSN (PS2 Classic)

I am delighted that SIREN will be published on PSN. Over time, SIREN is now re-introduced to a whole new audience. It is gratifying to know the experience can potentially reach out even further. This not only makes me happy, I am sure this will be quite motivating for everyone who was involved in the SIREN project to further excel in what they do in hope of delivering new and exciting content.

How long can you withstand the world of SIREN?

PAGE 1 2

+ Carl-G on January 10th, 2013 at 12:20 pm said:

COOL :P The more old PS2 games on PSN the better i say! ;) But there are LOADS of PS2 classics still not on PSN yet:( Like GT3 + GT4(even PS1 GT1 +GT2?!?!) + The Getaway 1 + 2 + Ape Escape 2 + 3 + TimeSplitters 1 + 2 + 3 + etc etc(sorry i haven’t got all day to list all the PS2 classics i want) :D (well what i really wanted SONY was a PS3 that could play my 70’ish PS2 discs really, but i can’t see that happening really ever) :(

+ eggmiester28 on January 10th, 2013 at 12:21 pm said:

awesome news i love the game

+ jeffsmither on January 10th, 2013 at 12:26 pm said:

You did Dark Cloud 1 and 2 right?
If so,I would love to see them on Ps2 Classic on PSN or a HD remake.

+ Salvy35z on January 10th, 2013 at 12:27 pm said:

Now this is a PS2 classic not like this week 5 Dora the Explorer games did they sell well back in the day or what and what’s up with Toy Story 3 being on there it came out for PS3. Can we please get Tenchu Wrath of Heaven, Dokapon Kingdom, and Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist of the Roses next

+ Salvy35z on January 10th, 2013 at 12:28 pm said:

Also can u guys update Blood curse with trophies please.

+ Psikorps on January 10th, 2013 at 12:35 pm said:

Outstanding game, not as spooky as all the Dora stuff, but a hell of a lot more fun (for grown ups that is).

Now make my dreams…err…nightmares, come true Sony and help get the Fatal Frame series released…even better as a HD collection with trophy support, I would be your bestest friend. Pinky Swear.

+ ivancard on January 10th, 2013 at 12:53 pm said:

I still wonder why we didn’t get Siren 2 in North America…

+ jhernandez360 on January 10th, 2013 at 1:10 pm said:

I would absolutely buy this, if I could play it on my Vita..

+ spikeking365 on January 10th, 2013 at 1:40 pm said:

i agree with discount on blood curse been waiting for a while $40 for a game that came out n 08 is a bit much please a discount or sale maybe for ps plus collection

+ BlueBl1zzard on January 10th, 2013 at 1:53 pm said:

So according to some of these comments, the PSN Siren: Blood Curse is somewhat of a remake of this game? Anyway I always wanted to try that one so I may check this out too.

+ phantomballa on January 10th, 2013 at 1:53 pm said:

This would be great on the vita! (replies on vita)

+ clupula668 on January 10th, 2013 at 2:19 pm said:

Very cool. I look forward to playing this again. I do have two wishes, though, for the franchise, besides, of course, a PS3 Siren 3…

1) That there is a trophy patch of some sort for Siren: Blood Curse. I loved playing through it the first time and I’d love an excuse to play through it again

2) I’d like to see Forbidden Siren 2 show up as a PS2 Classic on the PSN sometime in the future. North America never got it, so it would be nice to be able to finally play it.

+ taka3011 on January 10th, 2013 at 3:23 pm said:

I hope this game features japanese audio rather than an english dub, though I kinda doubt it.

+ Kevvik on January 10th, 2013 at 3:38 pm said:

@46 Be careful what you ask for, they might just give us part 1/2 free and hope we’ll pay for the rest, a la Walking Dead.

With Siren coming over, maybe we could see a push to bring over the Fatal Frame games? Now those are real PS2 Classics!

+ plaztiksyke on January 10th, 2013 at 3:45 pm said:

is this PS3 native “HD” version with trophies, or PS2 emulation? I’d happily buy the former.

I agree with everyone here that lamented the lack of any trophies or recent promotion/sale for Siren: Blood Curse. It was one of the first games we bought on PSN, and *still* one of the best-sounding. If the episodes were priced more in line with TellTale’s Walking Dead series and got a trophy patch, I know it would be a HUGE seller.

I love that so many people are requesting Indigo Prophecy, but maybe they aren’t remembering how bad the PS2 version was. the PC/Xbox1 version was much better looking/sounding. I’d rather someone do an HD version of Indigo Prophecy (like Just Add Water’s recent Oddworld HD versions) with re-authored texture and audio assets than get another poorly emulated PS2 “classic” version. The same goes for TimeSplitters — I’d rather see an HD collection with re-authored textures/audio than an emulated version.

I’ve got to say, the value proposition of the PS2 classics escapes me when the recent iOS releases of most of the games look/sound incredibly better, and the open source PS2 emulators upscale/AA the graphics so they look decent on my HDTV.

+ Saeed-Al-Dosary on January 10th, 2013 at 3:58 pm said:

Would you please add trophies support for Siren: Blood Curse?

Thank you very much.

+ driver4_ on January 10th, 2013 at 4:09 pm said:

I’m glad that SIREN is coming to PS2 classics, and hopefully any pricedrops, updates, or Forbidden SIREN 2 for PS2 classics are considered. Keep up the amazing work, Project SIREN.

+ PhillyTheCat on January 10th, 2013 at 4:37 pm said:

So, I’m browsing used PS1 & PS2 games online this week.
I come across Siren…I think to myself, this looks interesting
given my love for survival horror games.
Total cost for game $3.05 with original box & manual.
I just got it today then came here….
Well what do you know… Siren is coming to psn, Amazing.
You know what else I bought?
Fatal Frame III & Legacy of Kain: Defiance!

These are the type of Classics that the community are looking for.
Games that have great value.

Keep up the niiice work Sony, well be waiting….
But keep in mind, there are a lot of used games awaiting new owners….

+ FlyingBurrito76 on January 10th, 2013 at 6:10 pm said:

This game is only slightly less terrifying than all of the Dora the Explorer PS2 classics released this week!

+ novoalucard on January 10th, 2013 at 6:13 pm said:

Please bring Haunting Ground to PSN!

+ Ryuzaki_L1 on January 10th, 2013 at 6:59 pm said:

Someone answer this please =D is this game same as the siren for ps3?? also will it be on the ps vita?? because i sure want it!

+ dorkgeniuz21 on January 10th, 2013 at 7:03 pm said:

Can you guys please add remote play & or cross-controller to this game for the playstation Vita..I will buy it right now if so

+ zwilliams07 on January 10th, 2013 at 7:11 pm said:

Awesome that Forbidden Siren is getting the PSN treatment, I have a physical copy of the first and imported Blood Curse because I love the series so much. But there is one thing Sony needs to rectify; WE NEED FORBIDDEN SIREN 2. Please tell them that we are waiting for them to release Siren 2 for PSN. But there is one thing that would be even more awesome, do a complete collection release on Blu-Ray, all three games on a physical medium would be superb. I would gladly hand over another $60 for a collection, HD or not. It doesn’t even have to be a full production run, make a limited batch. I would buy two copies just for myself.

+ ZaGe-zAiKaNo on January 10th, 2013 at 7:15 pm said:

SIREN. Only Game that still scares me to this very day, though i woulda loved it as an HD Ver. like RE4 & CODE VERONICA with trophies.

Blood Curse was hard but this one’s even scarier (since old graphics scare me more ) & harder & i dont remember if it had a single gun.

As far how long i can withstand the world of SIREN? 10 – 15 & i’m done lol.

+ ZaGe-zAiKaNo on January 10th, 2013 at 7:35 pm said:

Also, would you guys consider RE OUTBREAK on PSN with enhanced Online features? it’d be a great addition to the RE collection.

+ KainDrake on January 10th, 2013 at 9:50 pm said:

Okay, people have already mentioned that there hasn’t been a price drop for Blood Curse. My problem is, our version of Blood Curse is censored. Will we ever get the uncensored version? I’ve seen videos of the unedited version, and really, I don’t see what the reason is. Other games have way worse content than what Blood Curse has and it never needed any censoring.

+ trickie316 on January 10th, 2013 at 10:02 pm said:

do like i did and buy the uncut unrated version from japan or korea and yes its in english and on a disc search amazon ebay ect……… its well worth it i paid 29 in 2008 for it so dont expect it to be that low the lowest i seen for it was 59 and the highest was 115… remember there was no disc release in the US so this IS a COLLECTABLE!!!!!! Worth a lot of money to TRUE HORROR GAMING FANS (like my self) who dont know anything or cant get there hands on it

+ dorkgeniuz21 on January 10th, 2013 at 10:03 pm said:

I would love to play any of the Sirens on ps vita either as an hd collection or via remote-play…Being able to use cross-controller with the ps3 version would be sick to…

+ trickie316 on January 10th, 2013 at 10:04 pm said:

the censored version sucks!!! the version i have (SIREN NEW TRANSLATION) is way much better and its on disc!!

+ Oshnaj on January 11th, 2013 at 4:18 am said:

Will we ever have Black PS2 classic? :(

+ PrinceofXIII on January 11th, 2013 at 9:05 am said:

Forbidden Siren 2 please!!

also drop the price of the PS3 game, 5 years it’s still $39.99 O_____O

+ pOcHo_OX on January 11th, 2013 at 12:00 pm said:

OMG good classic game of ps2, will siren be able to play on the PS Vita????

+ chowdude0183 on January 11th, 2013 at 2:57 pm said:

awesome played my ps2 copy all the time and still have it but can’t play it anymore noe PS2 but will have to buy it and blood curse to soon

+ UsubeniToAme on January 11th, 2013 at 6:48 pm said:

Hi. Is there any chance we are getting any fatal frame title on vita?

+ Hayterfan on January 12th, 2013 at 1:34 am said:

Yay now ill finally be able to play it (back when it came out I went thru 3 brand new copies, all missing the disc)
For everyone saying Fatal Frame, Nintendo now owns it (or co-owns it) Which personally id rater see all the Fatal Frames remade for Wii

+ HotGimmick17 on January 12th, 2013 at 2:59 am said:

oh thanks the havens , someone was actually bright enough to add this gem to psn , ive always wanted to play it but never got the chance , til now :) nows all thats left is the fatal frame series , the rest of silent hill (undub) and many more Japanese horror gems ,then maybe i might actually buy something from psn lol

+ pwrdsl on January 12th, 2013 at 3:50 am said:

Please, release also Forbidden Siren 2 !

It’s my favourite survival horror ever as well as one of the very best games. Sirens 1/2 not only are incredibly deep and interesting story-wise, so much details in the missions/cutscenes/files, but also have absolutely unique gameplay which unites surhor, stealth and even sandbox (they remind classic Hitman games in that regard) – you get open level, you objective(s), and then you need to explore the level and figure out how to solve it.

Blood Curse was good, excellent when compared with other _current gen_ surhors, but too streamlinded and simplified for my liking. FS2 is my ideal as surhor game.

+ Killerforlife009 on January 12th, 2013 at 6:18 am said:

its not horrible game fatal frame is best horror game it coming on psn after few month my dad work on psn he say me feb/2013

+ Freshh23 on January 13th, 2013 at 9:56 pm said:

Selling digital version of PS2 games on the PlayStation Store is great for the people who want to pay for it! Why not give us the ability to play our physical PS2 games like you should? Why not give us the benefits film and music do? give us a digital copy of our physical game?

Also, Siren: Blood Curse needs an extreme price drop on PSStore, a physical release with a cheap price, a sequel and I would like a Siren Collection with Siren HD, Siren 2 HD and Siren: Blood Curse for a very low price.

+ jmotuck on January 14th, 2013 at 6:28 pm said:

More PS2 Games need to be put onto the PlayStation Store. There are thousands of potential games. With only 1 to 4 games being put out each week it could take 30 years to see a decent library available online.

+ pwrdsl on January 16th, 2013 at 4:14 pm said:

Please, please, please, release Siren 2 too !

+ YungShep on January 10th, 2013 at 8:02 am said:

i actually own the ps3 version of Siren, extremely creepy!

+ VlAd744 on January 10th, 2013 at 8:03 am said:

FINALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ onslaughtree on January 10th, 2013 at 8:10 am said:

Good. This is a game that I wanted to play back then but never had the time. too many other games t play. lol. Hope to see Rival Schools released soon.

+ RDespair on January 10th, 2013 at 8:11 am said:

Great game though very difficult. Is there any chance of seeing Siren 2 on the PSN later? It’s the best game in the series in my opinion but the English version is currently only available in Europe (I played the Chinese version while I was in Taiwan).

+ Jotamide on January 10th, 2013 at 8:21 am said:

Cool stuff. The PS3 Siren didn’t grab my attention too much, I’ll see if I can get into this one better.

+ DuoMaxwell007 on January 10th, 2013 at 8:27 am said:

Well this WOULD interest me but i have one question…. isnt the version of SIren on PSN a remake or the PS2 o ne? if so why would I choose the PS2 one of that? now if the PS3 one is a prequel or sequel and not a remake then Im all for it.. but no point in buying the “downgraded” (even if its “better”) version of a game i could already have… right?

+ Stealth20k on January 10th, 2013 at 8:30 am said:

I already have my ps2 games physically, i dont need this

+ Matieo10 on January 10th, 2013 at 8:32 am said:

I’m still waiting for Blood Curse to get a discount after all these years. Why is it that it’s never been discounted, even for PS+ members?

+ ps_n_blog_ac on January 10th, 2013 at 8:35 am said:

i was just going to mention that lol, but yah why hasn’t siren blood curse dropped its price. i played the demo when i got my first PS3 that’s like 5-6 years ago…and still no price drop

PAGE 1 2