Until Dawn

Jan 14

PlayStation Plus Update: Become War in Darksiders, Free for Members

Morgan Haro's Avatar Posted by Morgan Haro on Jan 14, 2013 // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

PS Plus members rang in the New Year with NBA JAM: On Fire Edition and Mega Man 9 and 10 for free. This week, we’re bringing you a mix of action and exploration with the original Darksiders. Read on to find out more about this week’s update and remember to use the polls on the right to let us know what you think of this week’s update! Also, if you haven’t already, make sure you check out NBA Jam: On Fire Edition and Mega Man 9 and 10, which are some of the more recent additions to the PlayStation Plus Instant Game Collection.

Don’t have PlayStation Plus? Go to the PlayStation Store on your PS3 or PS Vita or click here to get access.

January 15th PlayStation Plus Update

Darksiders (PS3)

Free for PS Plus members

Take control of War, one of the fabled Horseman of the Apocalypse, and rain down destruction with a combination of brutal attacks and supernatural abilities. Darksiders’ true appeal however isn’t just in its visceral action. With an emphasis on open world traversal and mind-bending dungeons to explore, Darksiders delivers a true adventure, supported by the amazing art styling of comic book art genius Joe Madureira.

PlayStation Plus Update 1-15-2013

Stardrone Extreme

50% off for PS Plus members (Original price: $3.99; PS Plus Price: $2.00)

Don’t miss out on this great deal for the PS Vita charmer Stardrone Extreme. Each level starts by aiming and shooting yourself out of a cannon into outer space. Your spaceship stays in motion from this point on, and it’s your job to attach to nearby gravity beacons to navigate its flight path. While tethered to a beacon, you’ll swing and attempt to circle the beacon until you release and slingshot yourself further. This core mechanic brings together elements of shoot ‘em up, pinball, collecting objects; all in one unique game.

One other note; some of you noticed that inFAMOUS 2 left PlayStation Plus as a free game last week. This was an error and it will be back in the Instant Game Collection on the 1/15 PlayStation Store Update.

Tell us what you think of this week’s update in the comments below and don’t forget to vote by using the links near the top of the post. You can also delve into the PlayStation Community Forums in the PS Plus space to continue chatting about PS Plus, find other great topics to contribute your thoughts to, or start one for yourself. See you in the comments!

PlayStation Plus Update 1-15-2013

PAGE 1 2 3 12

+ Ricky7250 on January 14th, 2013 at 3:12 pm said:

Apparently we can’t edit.

I played the Stardrone demo, didn’t like it at all. :/

+ laker818 on January 14th, 2013 at 3:14 pm said:

Nice PS+ just keeps better and better. Keep up the good job sony!

+ MrBeatdown on January 14th, 2013 at 3:15 pm said:

Good choice for a game. Haven’t played it, but I’ve heard good things about it.

Darksiders is the kind of game you want to offer… not necessarily because it’s a full game, but because it’s a game with a broader appeal that probably went under a lot of people’s radar.

With things like sports games and RTS, or retro stuff like Megaman, you’re not going to make as many people happy. They just aren’t genres with the same mass appeal. Everyone likes action/adventure games in some form or another.

+ saab01 on January 14th, 2013 at 3:15 pm said:

I have heard good things about this game hopefully I will like it. So far after looking at game play it looks like something I would play. We will find out tomorrow does anyone know what is the GB install???

+ DonkeyKongKilla on January 14th, 2013 at 3:16 pm said:

@Ricky7250 – Morgan stated to a few people already that answer, for now it will be later into the month.

+ ItaChu on January 14th, 2013 at 3:17 pm said:

+ supvic on January 14th, 2013 at 3:18 pm said:

LOL!! I’m so glad I’m not a Plus subscriber. You guys get a 3 year old game, that you have to download and can only keep as long as your subscription lasts and that could’ve been bought for about $10 over a year ago.. are you people really that deprived?
SCEE is really profiteering off your stupidity and laughing all the way to the bank. The games you’ve been getting over the last 6 months add up to nothing yet you’re paying top dollar for old, cheap games and you don’t even get to keep them when your sub expires! This scheme MUST be Sony’s most profitable initiative yet and it’s amazing how many people are lapping it up, it’s cringe-worthy..
If you people bothered to buy the games you’re paying to rent off Plus, you’d have them all, cheaper, and get to keep them for life.

+ mnstrings on January 14th, 2013 at 3:19 pm said:

@ DonkeyKongKilla,

Really? That’s your complaint? Monster-ish effect? I see you on here quite often stating your concerns, but wow its probably not going to get any better to please you. My advice, just don’t renew, you are obviously not enjoying the service the way most people are.

But I mean come on, that’s reaching at the bottom of the barrel as I mentioned earlier. If its not your type just let it it go. No need to find made up excuses as to why this isn’t a good addition to the IGC.

No offense, but you are starting to sound like that Ryuomau (who sounds like he has a chromosomal disorder). PLEASE don’t start sounding like that guy, I BEG YOU.

+ supvic on January 14th, 2013 at 3:21 pm said:

You don’t even have any vote or say in what games you get nor do you even get any heads-up on what game you’ll be getting until it’s only a week away despite paying for a YEAR in advanced.. unbelievable..

+ ItaChu on January 14th, 2013 at 3:21 pm said:

@ #265 this is why we voted for a monthly update like the european blog has but NOOOOOOOO!!!! LOL NO WAY IN HELL can they do that over here lol

+ nolo451 on January 14th, 2013 at 3:22 pm said:

@ supvic,

Watch out everybody we got a troll here.

Yeah, I feel so ripped off, paying only about $4/month and getting all these games, “please somebody save me from Sony, they are scamming me so hard!”

Can’t believe you don’t feel like an absolute moron posting that with your name for everyone to see.

+ signal2noise on January 14th, 2013 at 3:22 pm said:

This is more like it!!! Have to admit I was seriously starting to consider letting my subscription lapse (only about a month left). I was also starting to feel kinda bad for the 3 people who I recently talked into subscribing, in addition to my girlfriend’s son for whom I purchased a membership for X-mas. He’s 7 and isn’t terribly impressed with 8 and 16 bit titles. I also purchased a Vita as soon as Plus support was added. Alas, my worries have been dispelled and I will most definitely be renewing! Thank you to the PS+ team and keep up the good work!!!

+ Dcrazy204 on January 14th, 2013 at 3:23 pm said:

Morgan you think you could put heavenly sword for psn plus

+ JalenTheEpic on January 14th, 2013 at 3:23 pm said:

I only have a ps vita. I already had 50% of the games they’ve given out. I’m starting to regret my purchase. You guys keep saying “The vita will get something soon!” then it turns out to be Chronovault.
I mean come on, is it that hard to give us some good psp games or PSX games?

+ oZc-Gauss on January 14th, 2013 at 3:24 pm said:

+ dilbig5 on January 14th, 2013 at 3:24 pm said:

@22 Most PSP games actually range from $8 to $20 in stores, and thats used.

+ RulitoCR on January 14th, 2013 at 3:25 pm said:

Darksiders!!! This update is awesome!!!

+ DonkeyKongKilla on January 14th, 2013 at 3:27 pm said:

@mnstrings – It’s the only word I wanted to use to described all three, but your concern with the word? How about thinking about what I was mainly stating, more variety while bringing out a full-game. I’ve had fun with a few games on here but the only full based games they can offer is that type than its pretty much getting. Also if you paid a little bit more attention to this post you would see what I thought about the actual game.

-My comment #44 “Another weird dark feeling game, so much for variety. mostly has been arcade classics, fighting, “beat em up’s like that guy said that’s actually Action – (fighting really)…. Bleh I will however give this a try before I do the rates, seems strange and interesting at the same time.”

Note the end says – “Bleh I will however give this a try before I do the rates, seems strange and interesting at the same time”

Then I read what Morgan commented on about the full games.

So please stay informed better before reviewing what I say.

+ ItaChu on January 14th, 2013 at 3:27 pm said:

supvic your wrong man its not a week ahead its a day ahead lol even worse i just dont get why sony doesnt take a hint and do one simple thing like the europe blog lol

+ dilbig5 on January 14th, 2013 at 3:27 pm said:

@267 Neither of those games have any gameplay similarities

+ jolmash on January 14th, 2013 at 3:27 pm said:

Now we’re talking :) Darksiders FTW! Thanks!

+ ItaChu on January 14th, 2013 at 3:31 pm said:

put ps plus for 40 bucks a year for one month see how many suscribers youll get again another hint from sony europe :)

+ sincrin on January 14th, 2013 at 3:32 pm said:

Morgan thanks a lot!! Gonna enjoy this game!

+ SLEEPLESS_KNIGHT on January 14th, 2013 at 3:33 pm said:

Very Nice!!!

+ LordZwan on January 14th, 2013 at 3:34 pm said:

So… Yeah, Darksiders is a nice touch!, but sadly, nothing for me this week. Why give us (Psvita’s plus) a -50% on a game of 4 bucks? really? Why don’t make a -50% of psp games or ps1 classic? o some old, old Vita’s game like “touch my katamari” ?… No, better on game that cost 4 bucks…

Why not free instead?… 2 bucks… my God…

Again, Nice touch with “Darksiders”! I applaud that…

+ MrBulldogger on January 14th, 2013 at 3:35 pm said:

Freaking awesome because I just got out bid on eBay for it!

+ DonkeyKongKilla on January 14th, 2013 at 3:35 pm said:

@dilbig5 – again, pay attention. I’m not talking about the actual gameplay, I’m talking on a theme base, all three don’t give out a dark vibe? okay.

+ sincrin on January 14th, 2013 at 3:36 pm said:

Morgan do you think you guys can give us Mass effect 1? or Killzone 1 or discounted
how about some discount on PS2 Final Fantasy series 6 on… and Max payne 1 – I didnt c Max payne 2 in the store, will you guys be able to get that as well?

+ Wolokowoh on January 14th, 2013 at 3:36 pm said:

Not bad this week Darksiders for me . If Stardrone has demo I check that out and decide whether or not drop two big ones on it.

+ onslaughtree on January 14th, 2013 at 3:39 pm said:

@261. Dude are you serious ? the ps3 has been out for over 6 years now and you dont have one, the Vita was released last year and you already own It, I highly doubt that you are still waiting to purchase a ps3. But you can always be asured that when you DO decide to purchase your ps3, there WILL be games on the IGC waiting for you to download….Crazy world we live in.

+ mnstrings on January 14th, 2013 at 3:40 pm said:

@ DKK,

And I repeat myself, its a very, very weak criticism. While you may think they all have the same theme, I can assure you they are all very different games in their plots and gameplay. But go on and keep your tradition of complaining about something every week if you’d like. ;)

If you don’t want to be replied based on the things you say, then I suggest you don’t say anything.

+ thefuhrerrsabe on January 14th, 2013 at 3:42 pm said:

+ claygriffith on January 14th, 2013 at 3:43 pm said:

First really good game in a while. Very excited to play this one.

+ quasar338 on January 14th, 2013 at 3:44 pm said:

Holy, Moly ! wow! awsome! Can’t wait to play Horseman. I’ve herd so much about this and have been wanting to for so long. Thank you , Thank You !

+ blitziken on January 14th, 2013 at 3:44 pm said:

Definitely lacking in support for the Vita. It’s not like megaman 9,10, NBA on fire edition runs on the vita. It’s been a while since we got anything for the Vita no?

Gravity rush, uncharted GA, wipeout. They were originally launch titles and I’m pretty sure that most people who own a vita would have either already played or owned these titles.

The only ones that people didn’t play? probably jet set radio (an old game) and Chronovolt.

Is it the end for the vita already?

+ greggysmalls1 on January 14th, 2013 at 3:45 pm said:

Excellent update. Darksiders is a quality title and exactly the kind that will keep folks around here happy/subscribed. Yes there is a lot of criticism when the community sees a sub par update or perceives there to be a downward trend in IGC content, but people are also genuinely grateful when there is a strong addition to the IGC. Thank you and keep the great stuff coming!

+ nolo451 on January 14th, 2013 at 3:47 pm said:

How anyone can say that the Vita part of PS+ is not worth it is beyond crazy. You got 6 free titles right off the bat, that alone should offset the cost of PS+. I cannot understand how anyone can say that type of stuff with a straight face.

Even Uncharted and Gravity Rush IMO are worth it for the yearly price.

+ ItaChu on January 14th, 2013 at 3:48 pm said:

morgan dont you think its a little late when you say we always mention what game is leaving plus in the weekly ps store update … i mean by then its already been taken off so whats the use lol you should say whats leaving plus this wek IN THIS POST not in tomorrows post…

i liked ps plus when i had it, its a nice service if you dont have the games that are being given for free, but i have or have had most of the games being giving out lately so i hqvent renewed im waiting for something big to come out that i dont have but i just dont see it happening … though i might renew someday to play all the other games i got for free :)

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on January 14th, 2013 at 4:48 pm said:

I’m referring to the Store Update from last week which we give a 1 week heads up on what’s leaving in Plus. So for example, tomorrow’s Store Update post will show what’s leaving Plus next week.

+ blakseed on January 14th, 2013 at 3:49 pm said:

I prefer weekly updates. I was around when they had monthly updates, and it was cool, but it sucked waiting a month for new plus content. Weekly is better imo. Something to look forward to every week.

+ DonkeyKongKilla on January 14th, 2013 at 3:50 pm said:

@mnstrings – again… Think clearly, I am not TALKING plots, I am NOT talking gameplay. Actually think about it. It’s not that hard of a concept to grasp.

It’s like the 3 arcade fighting games, game play was different, the story to it were different I’m assuming sense it’s a different game, but it’s all on basically the same exact THEME: fighting.

Don’t try to sound smart and troll on my comments if your going to argue something that I’m not even saying, I didn’t say the gameplay was the same nor the story. WOW.

And wanting more of a variety in the full games they give us as full games is weak?

Okay, think about that one. Wanting more of a variety of full games. okay okay…

+ franky_boyzz on January 14th, 2013 at 3:56 pm said:

one day they will be no more game to give :D hahaha thx you playstation bro !!!
WAKE UP CLUB tomorrow :D :D

+ gauge918 on January 14th, 2013 at 3:57 pm said:

WOW! I have been waiting to finish this since my ex stole all of my games. At last plus did something right. These are the types of games that you need to be giving away every week. I can’t believe that we finally got something that rivals the UK ps+. They did get Darksiders a long time ago though. I think that we should get an RPG next. I also wouldn’t mind playing through the Uncharted games again, even though I plattied them. How about giving people the rest of The Walking Dead. I loved that game, and I think that plus users should have an opportunity to experience the rest of the story. Telltale did an amazing job with that. How about Doom 3 BFG edition? Just throwing some ideas out there for you guys. I think that everyone should have a vote on 3 or 4 choices, and let the majority decided what we get. It would work great, and there would be less complaning.

+ mnstrings on January 14th, 2013 at 3:58 pm said:

Can’t you for once just be happy with what you are getting? That’s my point, it always has to be something with people like you.

Not sure how that is trolling, but ok, if that;s how you see being called out, then go for it.

But whatever, guess people like you and Ryumaou will always complain about something, I’m slowly starting to accept it, and I guess there’s nothing to stop you guys.

If you don’t think getting games like RE5, Bioshock 2, and Darksiders is a good variety then I really don’t know what to tell you. If you are so unsatisfied that you need to come here week after week to complain, I think you are better of not buying PS+ and using that money to get the games you want. What do you think? Or is this me “trolling” you again?

+ Beto_Campos3 on January 14th, 2013 at 4:01 pm said:

nothing for the PSVita?

+ MushThePainter on January 14th, 2013 at 4:03 pm said:

Darksiders is a great game, too bad I already platinumed it.. to anyone who’s never played it, there is a game breaking glitch in the dungeon/castle with the elevators in it, when you’re going up the elevators DO NOT jump up and down and spin the camera around like an idiot(me), you will fall through the elevator and won’t be able to go back up, I had to restart my whole play through 30 hrs in!! BE CAREFUL!!

+ BlueBl1zzard on January 14th, 2013 at 4:05 pm said:

@305 nolo451 And if you think about it, we’ve tecnically got enough vita games so far to where if it was split up to one a week, this would only be the 2nd week where we haven’t gotten anything (1st week if you want to count Final Fantasy).

+ BDB1324 on January 14th, 2013 at 4:05 pm said:

Last week I bought hyperballoid when it was on sale liked it enough to buy the dlc only to find it is no longer on the PS store. I even searched for it and still couldn’t find it any update would be awesome. Great update by the way.

+ PlatinumAura on January 14th, 2013 at 4:06 pm said:

Bought this game last year but I love it! You guys/gals will love it too!

+ BigBangBear on January 14th, 2013 at 4:06 pm said:

Great addition to PS+. Thanks.

Also, in one of the early comments it said Stardrone is compatible with PS Move. Does that mean there is a cross-save ability or is that not even relevant? I don’t know much about the game and am just curious since I really enjoy the cross-save/progress ability with PS3 and Vita on things like PS All-Stars Battle Royale and Big Sky Infinity.

Also, I agree with an earlier comment that if a PS Classic game was included as a Vita addition that might help some of the complaining about Vita support. In saying that I am still more than very happy with the Vita library we were given to start.

+ mnstrings on January 14th, 2013 at 4:12 pm said:

People that don’t think Vita games are worth the cost of PS+ are pretty dumb. Nothing else to say about that. Check the prices at amazon.com for each of the 6 games that were introduced to the IGC and tell me how much the total for that is. Now compare it to the $50 cost of PS+. Which is more? Anyone that says its not worth it is a dumb tool. Don’t even mention the fact that more games will be introduced, just the first 6 games alone is worth the cost.

Simple as that. I fail to take them seriously as soon as they start with that nonsense.

PAGE 1 2 3 12