Street Fighter V

Jan 14

PlayStation Plus Update: Become War in Darksiders, Free for Members

Morgan Haro's Avatar Posted by Morgan Haro on Jan 14, 2013 // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

PS Plus members rang in the New Year with NBA JAM: On Fire Edition and Mega Man 9 and 10 for free. This week, we’re bringing you a mix of action and exploration with the original Darksiders. Read on to find out more about this week’s update and remember to use the polls on the right to let us know what you think of this week’s update! Also, if you haven’t already, make sure you check out NBA Jam: On Fire Edition and Mega Man 9 and 10, which are some of the more recent additions to the PlayStation Plus Instant Game Collection.

Don’t have PlayStation Plus? Go to the PlayStation Store on your PS3 or PS Vita or click here to get access.

January 15th PlayStation Plus Update

Darksiders (PS3)

Free for PS Plus members

Take control of War, one of the fabled Horseman of the Apocalypse, and rain down destruction with a combination of brutal attacks and supernatural abilities. Darksiders’ true appeal however isn’t just in its visceral action. With an emphasis on open world traversal and mind-bending dungeons to explore, Darksiders delivers a true adventure, supported by the amazing art styling of comic book art genius Joe Madureira.

PlayStation Plus Update 1-15-2013

Stardrone Extreme

50% off for PS Plus members (Original price: $3.99; PS Plus Price: $2.00)

Don’t miss out on this great deal for the PS Vita charmer Stardrone Extreme. Each level starts by aiming and shooting yourself out of a cannon into outer space. Your spaceship stays in motion from this point on, and it’s your job to attach to nearby gravity beacons to navigate its flight path. While tethered to a beacon, you’ll swing and attempt to circle the beacon until you release and slingshot yourself further. This core mechanic brings together elements of shoot ‘em up, pinball, collecting objects; all in one unique game.

One other note; some of you noticed that inFAMOUS 2 left PlayStation Plus as a free game last week. This was an error and it will be back in the Instant Game Collection on the 1/15 PlayStation Store Update.

Tell us what you think of this week’s update in the comments below and don’t forget to vote by using the links near the top of the post. You can also delve into the PlayStation Community Forums in the PS Plus space to continue chatting about PS Plus, find other great topics to contribute your thoughts to, or start one for yourself. See you in the comments!

PlayStation Plus Update 1-15-2013

PAGE 1 8 9 10 11 12

+ MXJC on January 14th, 2013 at 12:43 pm said:

Wooo Oh hell ya!! I was gonna go out and buy this game today but the hell with cuz i have PS+, thanks Sony your the best!!

+ sab_krit on January 14th, 2013 at 12:49 pm said:

@MXJC, You were going to buy Darksiders today? which store?

+ Malkzin on January 14th, 2013 at 12:50 pm said:

Interesting they would conduct a poll with a list of games, since we have a lot of titles available for the psp vita.

I Love Dissidia 012 *.*

+ viceforce on January 14th, 2013 at 12:53 pm said:

The Horseman cometh………for FREE!!!!!

+ FranklynStreet on January 14th, 2013 at 12:56 pm said:

Already have Darksiders, but I’m still pleased with it as a choice for Plus. This is exactly the kind of game Plus should be putting in the collection, versus the stuff we’ve been getting the last few weeks/months.

+ Darth-Krayt on January 14th, 2013 at 12:57 pm said:

@ 48 and Morgan Haro could maybe update his reply to 48 in case he/she doesn’t see this reply.

Plus games you havn’t played since your Plus subscription (from when you downloaded said games) was set to expire do expire at that date even when you resubscribe if you havn’t played them since the resubscription. What you have to do is boot up the expired game while signed into PSN, and it’s expiration date will then update itself to your new subscription expiration date.

Hope you see this, and hope it helps.

+ xClayMeow on January 14th, 2013 at 12:57 pm said:

I thought for sure we’d be getting a Vita IGC addition this week since we didn’t get any last week. Very disappointed.

If you want to increase Vita sales, start giving people a reason to buy one!

if I don’t see Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus as a Vita IGC within the next month (prior to the sequel’s release), I’ll know that nobody involved in PS+ knows wtf they’re doing. Marketing 101.

+ chaosphere187 on January 14th, 2013 at 12:57 pm said:

Holy Hell,I was just about to get Darksiders not even a couple hours ago but decided on Silent Hill Downpour.Thanks PS Plus you made my week!

+ sab_krit on January 14th, 2013 at 12:59 pm said:

@chaosphere Where exactly u planning to buy darksiders from?

+ bucs205 on January 14th, 2013 at 1:03 pm said:

wow this is an amazing update (and im glad its a thq game) hopefully in the next couple of weeks we get a good strategy game not downing this update beacuse im excited as hell for tomorrow now but i would love for might and magic clash of heroes come to ps+ just to get the online going again haha THANK YOU PS+!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

+ MosesUnspoken on January 14th, 2013 at 1:03 pm said:

Nothing for me this week :(

Already own Darksiders and Darksiders 2. Just not interested in Stardrone.

More discounts, less free games.

PS Plus needs something like a constant 10% discount on all PS3 and PSN titles.

20 – 15% discount on all Classic titles.

It would add more built in value to Plus as well as stop some of the weekly complaining about Plus offerings.

+ Squiggle55 on January 14th, 2013 at 1:04 pm said:

Thanks guys this sounds like another great retail game for me to play eventually. PS+ is seriously making it hard to work through my backlog. :/

+ sab_krit on January 14th, 2013 at 1:05 pm said:

C’mon MXJC & Chaosphere187, I just want to know what made you think of getting the Darksiders from, that too today? I mean not yesterday or tommorow or during the holiday season but today, What was name of the store which made a great deal on darksiders today?

+ Squiggle55 on January 14th, 2013 at 1:06 pm said:

@bucs205 That is a fantastic suggestion. I would love for Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes to be a free game to get the online going. I also would very much like a Vita version.

+ Tchanku on January 14th, 2013 at 1:07 pm said:

I have already played Darksiders, but I still thing this a good PS+ free Game.

+ FranklynStreet on January 14th, 2013 at 1:07 pm said:

@177 maybe Ebay or

+ JSynnTheGreat on January 14th, 2013 at 1:09 pm said:

72 posts before anyone complained about the private polls…well played Haro! Great update btw Thanks for all the hard work. Been wanting to play Darksiders for a while, now I can but who knows when ill get to it with all the great offerings lately. I’m still playing journey and Tokyo Jungle.

+ Sarrop39 on January 14th, 2013 at 1:10 pm said:

Awesome! Finally a full retail game to add to my collection, I was getting tired of getting 8-bit games every week.

+ HIhi2442 on January 14th, 2013 at 1:10 pm said:

Dope, Another Plat for me! Now I just wanna see the rest of the store update.

+ Xnightwish on January 14th, 2013 at 1:11 pm said:

good update but man if this isnt the month of games i already had for years, but i can’t really complain about that

+ sab_krit on January 14th, 2013 at 1:13 pm said:

@MosesUnspoken Yep maybe EU+ should also stop giving free games. Only discounts on PS3 games. Moses obviously you are second person suggesting that bull**** in 179 posts. But this is the first time I am satisfied from my US + subscription and I started my subscription after Borderlands came into IGC. Not just me but most of my friends started plus after IGC. There are always a lot of other companies outside PS store which gives great discounts on PS3 games new and used, So I cant agree with you, Sorry.

+ Woody3878 on January 14th, 2013 at 1:14 pm said:

Im glad i didnt buy Darksiders during black friday now !!! Cant what to try it tomarrow ! I heard it was a great game .

+ sab_krit on January 14th, 2013 at 1:18 pm said:

@FranklynStreet its 19.44 for PS3 for a very long time.

and ebay hmmm maybe but why today? Cuz today the the minimum I can see is 15 bucks!!!

+ Squiggle55 on January 14th, 2013 at 1:18 pm said:

@MosesUnspoken Although I don’t see any drastic changes like that happening, and I’ve had pretty good luck with the free games chosen for the most part, I think it’s easy to recognize that many people (especially very loyal customers) potentially have very bad luck and own the game being given away far more often than they’d like to see. I’d also love to see more discounts because weeks where lots of different things are on big sales are my absolute favorite weeks no doubt about it.

I also think the issue of already owning a game that is given away for free really needs to be addressed somehow. Of course it will happen to everyone occasionally. But let’s say it happens 10 times in a year. It’s lame to almost penalize someone for being a loyal customer. I still like the idea of getting an exclusive Avatar for the game the person already owned. And if it happens to them 10 times in a year they can get an exclusive Sony Avatar that shows how they’re a loyal customer. It would be a nice gesture from Sony and at the same time not completely break the business model by offering people extra discounts or anything like that.

+ castonph on January 14th, 2013 at 1:19 pm said:

Darksiders looks great, can’t wait to get this booted up. Already got StarDrone a little while ago, don’t think I’m close to beating it yet. It’s very tough, even on the Vita.

+ TerraAshura on January 14th, 2013 at 1:20 pm said:

Darksiders you say?! Sure, I’ll happily pick that one up.

+ sab_krit on January 14th, 2013 at 1:20 pm said:

@Squiggle55 I dont mind if US+ gives out a game which I already own but atleast treat your customers as equally or better than EU counterparts like this month.

+ TwinDad on January 14th, 2013 at 1:21 pm said:

I like the additional options in the poll. Being able to say that I have the games might help understand what makes the games negative.

I know PS+ for VIta is the new kid on the block, but are looking at seeing the Vita update for PS+ around the 3rd store update of the month?

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on January 14th, 2013 at 1:56 pm said:

For the time being, you’ll probably see Plus Vita updates towards the end of the month.

+ Sevyne on January 14th, 2013 at 1:22 pm said:

For once I can’t complain. Darksiders actually is a good game. Second one is better obviously, but anyone who has Plus that has not played this game needs to give it a go. Good job this week and for once I can vote for something that isn’t “Nothing for me this week” and I’m sure many feel the same. Take note of this SCEA and you’ll be in for a surprise.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on January 14th, 2013 at 1:58 pm said:

It’s no surprise that the community tends to enjoy PS3 Full Games more in Plus. However, it’s not just a question of taster’s choice from the PlayStation Store. There are numerous factors involved, and we’re always working with our partners to get the best possible games for Plus.

+ sab_krit on January 14th, 2013 at 1:25 pm said:

@Sevyne Yep SCEA make note of this! Give us the Arkham City next month :P

+ TetsuyaKenshi86 on January 14th, 2013 at 1:29 pm said:

Me parece un excelente cambio, la verdad estaba arrepintiéndome de contratar el servicio de PS+. Se que no todas las semanas debe salir un super juego (aunque sería genial) pero con un juego así al mes se que con gusto renovare mi suscripción cuando termine mi año.

+ Thodias_Br on January 14th, 2013 at 1:30 pm said:

Hell yeah, best update on January for me so far! I was actually looking for buying this game, glad I didn’t make it, haha !

Hey Morgan, Darksider as the “main” game + NBA Jam already worth a month for me, but can we expect more free games within this month?

As i said on an early post, a few months ago, it would be really nice to have at least 1 free game per week, even if some of them are more “simple” games, but it would keep us always with something fresh to play (of course, I won’t complain if you give us another AAA game this month, hahaha =D ) !

+ alesshido on January 14th, 2013 at 1:32 pm said:

Heey looking good Sony! :)
Looks like that the last week feedbacks were really worth it! Thanks for listening! :)

+ k1ngsnak3 on January 14th, 2013 at 1:36 pm said:

EPIC! This game has been on my radar for a while. Anyone know if you can install games on an external drive? I already juiced out my system with a new drive and that’s nearly full with the games.

+ llcdezafrancoll on January 14th, 2013 at 1:40 pm said:

Nothing for me this week!

PS Vita = PS –

+ BANDICOOTKING on January 14th, 2013 at 1:41 pm said:

Wasn’t stardrone already free on VITA?

+ Qraze on January 14th, 2013 at 1:42 pm said:

no vita love. oh well.
give us vita plus owners something good when you do, i can wait.

where is mgs peacewalker?

and please, we really need some kind of ad-hoc wifi party app on the vita. i can’t play mhfu unite online, xkai link is weird as hell to set up and i still ain’t done it right. roll us some good gaming apps.

+ stlthriot on January 14th, 2013 at 1:43 pm said:

Will the digital Darksiders save file be compatible with the blu-ray copy???

I’m getting frustrated when games create new save files for the digital copies…
Rayman Origins, Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One, Tomb Raider Underworld, etc.

+ Ashilyn on January 14th, 2013 at 1:45 pm said:

lol people get a top tier game, and a fair number of them still complain. How sad. I’d really love to know where people are seeing Darksiders for $5/$10. Best I can ever find is $15 used, which is still much more than what my PS+ costs a month.

+ D-Squad3 on January 14th, 2013 at 1:47 pm said:

These are the games we should be getting!

+ AizawaYuuichi on January 14th, 2013 at 1:49 pm said:

Well, at least it’s a retail game. I bought this on PSN a while back when it was on sale for $10. And I also have both Stardrone and Stardrone Extreme… but at least there’s a poll answer to convey that now. Decent update, but I already own it all… maybe next week…

+ Yousef901 on January 14th, 2013 at 1:49 pm said:

Nothing for me :'(

+ yoko379 on January 14th, 2013 at 1:49 pm said:

Nice update! I have the second one on PC but haven’t started it yet, so I’ll definitely have to try this one out first! :)

+ JayBizzle311 on January 14th, 2013 at 1:53 pm said:

Nice. I had Darksiders and played about half way through but lost interest. I have Darksiders II and still have to play more. Either way I’ll add it to my download list because I’ll come back to it at sometime down the road.

+ SB_Benihime on January 14th, 2013 at 1:54 pm said:

Need more JRPG / RPG for Playstation Plus members!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ troyliz300 on January 14th, 2013 at 1:57 pm said:

i love this……..

+ sab_krit on January 14th, 2013 at 1:57 pm said:

@Ashilyn Yep, show me where it is new for $10? Walmart had silent hill downpour in the bargain bin for 10 bucks but not Darksiders. Used ones are $10 at Bestbuy tho.

+ PPPottypants on January 14th, 2013 at 2:02 pm said:

Darksiders… favorite game of this generation, but of course that means I already have it Sadface.

More interested (and freaked out a lil) in Siren…. literally just started thinkin about it last friday and huntin local stores for it. Spooky. And on the subject of Siren… don’t you think its time to lower the price of Blood Curse episodes? Most people don’t even know it exists, yet its one of the best horror games ever made. And at 40$, I can’t blame em.

+ BurntGoliath on January 14th, 2013 at 2:02 pm said:

Really? Really? …this is what PS Plus members get this month?

I got and beat this game ages ago when you offered it digitally for $10…
Last month, EU gets Arkham City and we get Bioshock 2 (great game, but bargain bin)
This month, EU gets Bioshock 2 and we get Darksiders (great game, but bargain bin).

The only reason I rejoined PS Plus this month (only a 3 month subscription) was for the God of War Beta.

Edit: and apparently EU received Darksiders a while ago…

+ PsychoSploosh69 on January 14th, 2013 at 2:02 pm said:

Nothing for me again this week.

PAGE 1 8 9 10 11 12