Uncharted 4

Jan 14

PlayStation Plus Update: Become War in Darksiders, Free for Members

Morgan Haro's Avatar Posted by Morgan Haro on Jan 14, 2013 // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

PS Plus members rang in the New Year with NBA JAM: On Fire Edition and Mega Man 9 and 10 for free. This week, we’re bringing you a mix of action and exploration with the original Darksiders. Read on to find out more about this week’s update and remember to use the polls on the right to let us know what you think of this week’s update! Also, if you haven’t already, make sure you check out NBA Jam: On Fire Edition and Mega Man 9 and 10, which are some of the more recent additions to the PlayStation Plus Instant Game Collection.

Don’t have PlayStation Plus? Go to the PlayStation Store on your PS3 or PS Vita or click here to get access.

January 15th PlayStation Plus Update

Darksiders (PS3)

Free for PS Plus members

Take control of War, one of the fabled Horseman of the Apocalypse, and rain down destruction with a combination of brutal attacks and supernatural abilities. Darksiders’ true appeal however isn’t just in its visceral action. With an emphasis on open world traversal and mind-bending dungeons to explore, Darksiders delivers a true adventure, supported by the amazing art styling of comic book art genius Joe Madureira.

PlayStation Plus Update 1-15-2013

Stardrone Extreme

50% off for PS Plus members (Original price: $3.99; PS Plus Price: $2.00)

Don’t miss out on this great deal for the PS Vita charmer Stardrone Extreme. Each level starts by aiming and shooting yourself out of a cannon into outer space. Your spaceship stays in motion from this point on, and it’s your job to attach to nearby gravity beacons to navigate its flight path. While tethered to a beacon, you’ll swing and attempt to circle the beacon until you release and slingshot yourself further. This core mechanic brings together elements of shoot ‘em up, pinball, collecting objects; all in one unique game.

One other note; some of you noticed that inFAMOUS 2 left PlayStation Plus as a free game last week. This was an error and it will be back in the Instant Game Collection on the 1/15 PlayStation Store Update.

Tell us what you think of this week’s update in the comments below and don’t forget to vote by using the links near the top of the post. You can also delve into the PlayStation Community Forums in the PS Plus space to continue chatting about PS Plus, find other great topics to contribute your thoughts to, or start one for yourself. See you in the comments!

PlayStation Plus Update 1-15-2013

PAGE 1 9 10 11 12

+ Loggernaut on January 14th, 2013 at 2:05 pm said:

It’s refreshing to see the positive feedback this week, the game is amazing and deserves praise. I played it already but everyone who hasn’t shouid try it out.

+ sab_krit on January 14th, 2013 at 2:05 pm said:

@BurntGoliath Yep so now you know what u r getting for next year;) DOnt buy it then.

+ Dang_Man on January 14th, 2013 at 2:07 pm said:

+ gatekeeper2954 on January 14th, 2013 at 2:08 pm said:

for this is my first comment on the network. i would like to

everyone at sony for being in my life.

ps keep up the good work : )

+ CrazyRap on January 14th, 2013 at 2:08 pm said:

ahh damn :( i want this for eu

+ DuoMaxwell007 on January 14th, 2013 at 2:09 pm said:

@223 umm EU has had this since June…

+ elpsydominator on January 14th, 2013 at 2:09 pm said:

please morgan, dont forget psvita, we need more content asap

+ elpsydominator on January 14th, 2013 at 2:16 pm said:

and btw I need to buy the original silent hill (ps1 game) for my psvita but its only in the ps3 store =/

+ ieswkMN on January 14th, 2013 at 2:18 pm said:

Finally Something good!

+ sab_krit on January 14th, 2013 at 2:18 pm said:

@elpsydominator Silent hill 2 is the best Silent Hill.

+ spikeking365 on January 14th, 2013 at 2:21 pm said:

cysis 1 or 2 please and or siren blood curse free or at least discounted is what i would like to c

+ nolo451 on January 14th, 2013 at 2:26 pm said:

I already played this game last year, it was pretty fun.

Note to new players of this game: You will get VERY frustrated in the Black Throne levels lol, I wanted to toss my remote so many times!

I’ll give it a go again though if only to get all the remaining trophies.

Great stuff as always!

+ TJF588 on January 14th, 2013 at 2:26 pm said:

Well, this should weaken whiners’ wishlists a bit. Maybe this can keep up and we’ll see less mob mentality in the comments (though, of course, still warbles, as below).

However, this is another title that I have [access to] on disc, and have digitally via Steam, though at least now I don’t have to bother dropping by my brother’s place to swipe it. I’m in the boat of wanting PSN-exclusives (or at least download-exclusives), due to not finding them anywhere else.

In that mindset, I may well look into Stardrone. Not much difference between $2.50/$2.49 and $2.00, but it’s at that dollar amount that I start to get impulsive, now.

+ onslaughtree on January 14th, 2013 at 2:28 pm said:

I already own Darksiders, but OMG, what an awesome game. I think I got stuck in a major glitch way deep into the game but ended up restarting and eventualy playing through about 3 times. If its your 1st time playing this then kudos for you. This title is solid all the way through….Keep on Gaming.

+ Sevyne on January 14th, 2013 at 2:29 pm said:

@Morgan: No no. I’m not saying that this was a good pick because it’s a full PS3 game. I think you miss my point. I’m saying it because it’s not only a good game, but because it’s not a broken, unenjoyable, critically bashed game like Chronovolt for example.

It’s not so much about the monetary value of a game, but more about it’s quality and Darksiders is a quality game. For example, Shatter is a pretty cheap game, a small experience, and a PSN only title yet I thought that was a good Plus addition when that was given to us because it was a great game of great quality. Get what I mean? I’m not so good with explaining things lol.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on January 14th, 2013 at 2:39 pm said:

Got it!

+ elpsydominator on January 14th, 2013 at 2:29 pm said:

@228 I know that @sab_krit but I want to play the first one because I only have a vita right now but I can’t because its not available in the vita store only in the ps3 store and its a ps1 game XD

+ Seiji_Mad_Dog on January 14th, 2013 at 2:31 pm said:

Seriously? A $2 dollars discount on Stardrone Extreme? Last week was pretty lame. I was cool about that, expecting to see something this week, but I guess PS+ is not a service worth for Vita owners. Got Gravity Rush, Uncharted, Jet Set Radio and Final Fantasy Tactics for $50, it is a good deal, but I should have subscribed for 3 months, not 1 year. Bring some PsOne or PSP classics, please. I bet every Vita owner is tired of the lame updates. I’m buying only games that I find essential, waiting for discounts at stores and PS+.

+ Sevyne on January 14th, 2013 at 2:31 pm said:

Also nice to break the repetition of constant fighting games, puzzlers, and sports games. Let’s see if it stays that way at least for a little while.

+ FistFury_ on January 14th, 2013 at 2:33 pm said:

Nice, Darksiders xD..! rly thanks !

+ XRAWDX on January 14th, 2013 at 2:34 pm said:

Finally, an awesome addition to Playstation Plus – I have not been unhappy with any other previous games though. The PS Vita content has been slacking though, which seems unwise considering Sony seems to be marketing the handheld using the “added PS Plus content.” You promote it directly on the box, but after someone buys it, plays through half a game here and half a game there, they are left wondering when the next game they will be playing half of will come out! Seriously though, awesome so far – just give the PS Vita owners a little taste of something every now and then so we can continue to salivate in anticipation of something new.

+ TJF588 on January 14th, 2013 at 2:34 pm said:

Oh, wait, Stardrone is Vita-only? Well, that’ll have to sit out for now. Still don’t have one o’ those beauts (and don’t intend to anyway until its memory cards are acceptably large and appropriately priced).

Figures that inFAMOUS 2 is here to stay. Was kinda chuffed to see that bold of a swap-out.

+ RafaHolanda_BR on January 14th, 2013 at 2:36 pm said:

Finally a real game, but where the content for PSVita?

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on January 14th, 2013 at 2:38 pm said:

it’ll be coming later this month

+ GanstaKilla85 on January 14th, 2013 at 2:36 pm said:

Plus should give alien vs predator free for the big release date of aliens colonial marines! That would b great marketing, just like u did with borderlands wen 2 came out!

+ TuttiCicero on January 14th, 2013 at 2:36 pm said:

An alright start to 2013.. not enough for me to keep my subscription going just yet since I already own Darksiders BUT if I didn’t – I would be glad this is free.

The GoW:A online beta is pretty fun for just hopping on for 20 minutes or so but it is still fun.

Hoping the PS+ Team is seeing what gamers want now rather than what they can get away with handing out.

+ mnstrings on January 14th, 2013 at 2:36 pm said:

lol, looks like the dissatisfied are really reaching the bottom of the barrel for anything to complain about.

Glad to see Darksiders added, not a fan of this type of stuff, but I’ll give it a shot. ;)

You people unhappy about PS+, yeah if you could not renew that would be great.

+ Dubloon7 on January 14th, 2013 at 2:37 pm said:

Is Stardrone Vita only, or is it a cross-buy?

+ smoothboarder540 on January 14th, 2013 at 2:38 pm said:

Does anyone know how many GBs Darksiders is?

+ TechnoFoxx on January 14th, 2013 at 2:40 pm said:

Be nice to see some Vita games guys….maybe like Sine Mora, Oddworld, Corpse Party, or if you’re feeling reeeeally generous DJ Max Technika Tune

Right now, just not worth it for me to sub : /

+ CaptainRadical on January 14th, 2013 at 2:41 pm said:

Nothing again this week. Darksiders is a great game, but another that can be found in the 5$ bin at my local EB, or for 2$ on Steam. I guess why not give away a game from a company that’s already broke? No worries right?

I would also like to echo the over whelming disappointment in PS Plus for the Vita. With the way it’s been selling, or NOT selling I would think you would want to maybe make it seem like a worthwhile purchase. Don’t get me wrong, I have a Vita and love it. But everything I hear from others is well, lack of games and the terrible pricing of memory cards. We can put the memory card issue aside for a moment. I actually own a large number of the Vita’s library. There’s some cool games that if people had instant access to for a small fee I’m sure they’d be more open to the idea. But you do have to update the damn thing once in awhile. Throw Metal Gear in there. What about Escape Plan? Hot Shots Golf? These are great Vita games that need to be show cased. But if you want to keep the “do nothing approach” be my guest.

+ CaptainRadical on January 14th, 2013 at 2:42 pm said:

Hell even some good PSP games for Vita owners would be great. Especially considering the PSN has the absolutely WORST PRICING of PSP games anywhere.

+ JnF_Gho5t on January 14th, 2013 at 2:42 pm said:

Thank you for this great update Morgan! Looks like my idea of Darksiders hitting PS+ came true. Can’t wait to play it!

+ Massive_13 on January 14th, 2013 at 2:42 pm said:

Pretty nice. Darksiders eh? Always wanted to give this game a go.

+ stlthriot on January 14th, 2013 at 2:45 pm said:

Would love to see games like Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2 in digital form on PSN! ^_^

+ bt1234567892010 on January 14th, 2013 at 2:45 pm said:

Darksiders…..awesome. I have never, ever played this game, but have been wanting too, maybe we’ll see less complainers now, despite some (*cough* 22 *cough*) still staying around. Thank you Morgan and the PS+ team, for giving me a game I don’t have, and is really popular and well known, I look forward to downloading it tomorrow.

+ GanstaKilla85 on January 14th, 2013 at 2:46 pm said:

Also interested in “of orcs and men” that would b good addition to plus free or a discount….

+ Ayako_Lilith on January 14th, 2013 at 2:46 pm said:

Yay! :D This week is looking awesome already!!

+ AnoyoIkari on January 14th, 2013 at 2:48 pm said:

I can live with Darksiders. Better than the last few weeks.

+ Crusher201 on January 14th, 2013 at 2:49 pm said:

Darksiders is 10GB. You will need twice the space to download it, but you will get it back after it installs. You can get the game early on your HDD by downloading the full game trial. Once the game is free, start up the expired trial and it will automatically upgrade to full game.

+ Berae on January 14th, 2013 at 2:51 pm said:

Thats great, Darksiders 1 was so good compared to Darksiders 2.

+ smoothboarder540 on January 14th, 2013 at 2:53 pm said:

Thanks. I actually just found the update it released on.

+ hung187 on January 14th, 2013 at 2:57 pm said:

YES!!!!!! Thank god I never got that game. But now I get it free. I have always wanted to play this game. This is a great PS plus drop. Great job sony.

+ Mr_Cubia on January 14th, 2013 at 2:58 pm said:

Darksiders cant wait to play it thanks Morgan!!!

+ mzingarelli on January 14th, 2013 at 2:58 pm said:

Morgon, please, until when will Darksiders be available in the Instante Game Collection and which game will be out of it?

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on January 14th, 2013 at 3:11 pm said:

Double Dragon Neon will be leaving Plus when Darksiders comes in. We always mention what’s leaving Plus in the weekly PlayStation Store Update post as well, if that helps.

+ cat9966 on January 14th, 2013 at 3:00 pm said:

As a Vita only owner, I’m finding that there is little value to being a Plus Member. Ironically, being a Plus Member is making it less likely for me purchase to PS3 because it just ticks me off because there is no way to store the PS3 only downloads in my account , while PS3 only owners are able to store Vita downloads in their account. At least if I could store them for later, I would feel that I was technically getting the same value as PS3 owners, but as it is I feel like a second class member who gets to pay the same price as PS3 owners, but with very little to show for it.

Sony needs to either start offering real value to Vita only owners and also let us retain the ability to download PS3 games that leave the free area in the event we eventually get a PS3 or they need a Vita only membership with a smaller fee in keeping with the actual value offered.

+ mzingarelli on January 14th, 2013 at 3:00 pm said:

Sorry, it’s horrible to type with these virtual keyboards from touch devices…

+ Crusher201 on January 14th, 2013 at 3:03 pm said:

I think most games other than the game of the month are in the IGC for 3 months. The game of the month for January is NBA Jam: On Fire.

Has the PS+ team thought about making Warhawk, Starhawk MP, MAG, or Socom Confrontation for free? Their sales can’t be very high these days, they’re pretty old, and the player boost might help keep them alive.

+ YuNeoxus on January 14th, 2013 at 3:04 pm said:

Yeah thank psn , now wait for Batman AC

+ OTLEiSOJ on January 14th, 2013 at 3:04 pm said:

I bought this game yesterday…OH GOD WHY!!??

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on January 14th, 2013 at 3:12 pm said:

If you bought it on PSN, and you feel strongly about it, contact Customer Service to state your issue as they review cases like this on a case by case basis.

PHONE 800-345-SONY
    Mon – Sun 6:00AM – 10:00PM Pacific

+ eljuamposo94 on January 14th, 2013 at 3:05 pm said:

the wait paid off!! was looking for this game to buy it :D

+ DonkeyKongKilla on January 14th, 2013 at 3:09 pm said:

@Morgan – little bit of criticism.

This is the third straight full game with that dark monster-ish effect that has came to plus, I can’t count infamous because I do not know exactly what happened before October of last year but, you have RE5, BS2, and now this. See the pattern… Need to try for a little bit of a variety on full games if you catch the drift. These are all dark and I haven’t played this one but looking at the trailer it’s pretty much the same theme based.

PAGE 1 9 10 11 12