Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Jan 14

PlayStation Plus Update: Become War in Darksiders, Free for Members

Morgan Haro's Avatar Posted by Morgan Haro on Jan 14, 2013 // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

PS Plus members rang in the New Year with NBA JAM: On Fire Edition and Mega Man 9 and 10 for free. This week, we’re bringing you a mix of action and exploration with the original Darksiders. Read on to find out more about this week’s update and remember to use the polls on the right to let us know what you think of this week’s update! Also, if you haven’t already, make sure you check out NBA Jam: On Fire Edition and Mega Man 9 and 10, which are some of the more recent additions to the PlayStation Plus Instant Game Collection.

Don’t have PlayStation Plus? Go to the PlayStation Store on your PS3 or PS Vita or click here to get access.

January 15th PlayStation Plus Update

Darksiders (PS3)

Free for PS Plus members

Take control of War, one of the fabled Horseman of the Apocalypse, and rain down destruction with a combination of brutal attacks and supernatural abilities. Darksiders’ true appeal however isn’t just in its visceral action. With an emphasis on open world traversal and mind-bending dungeons to explore, Darksiders delivers a true adventure, supported by the amazing art styling of comic book art genius Joe Madureira.

PlayStation Plus Update 1-15-2013

Stardrone Extreme

50% off for PS Plus members (Original price: $3.99; PS Plus Price: $2.00)

Don’t miss out on this great deal for the PS Vita charmer Stardrone Extreme. Each level starts by aiming and shooting yourself out of a cannon into outer space. Your spaceship stays in motion from this point on, and it’s your job to attach to nearby gravity beacons to navigate its flight path. While tethered to a beacon, you’ll swing and attempt to circle the beacon until you release and slingshot yourself further. This core mechanic brings together elements of shoot ‘em up, pinball, collecting objects; all in one unique game.

One other note; some of you noticed that inFAMOUS 2 left PlayStation Plus as a free game last week. This was an error and it will be back in the Instant Game Collection on the 1/15 PlayStation Store Update.

Tell us what you think of this week’s update in the comments below and don’t forget to vote by using the links near the top of the post. You can also delve into the PlayStation Community Forums in the PS Plus space to continue chatting about PS Plus, find other great topics to contribute your thoughts to, or start one for yourself. See you in the comments!

PlayStation Plus Update 1-15-2013

PAGE 1 2 3 4 12

+ JediOniram on January 14th, 2013 at 4:12 pm said:

Awesome. I 1000/1000 this on that other console, and now I have a good excuse to play it again and get a platinum! If you haven’t played Darksiders, I wholly recommend it.

+ rjmultimedia on January 14th, 2013 at 4:16 pm said:

+ Morgan Haro im not able to download or buy megaman 9 only the 1, i have no idea why and im runing out of time someone could help me?

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on January 14th, 2013 at 4:51 pm said:

There are some cases where MM9 is not downloading the full game, only the unlock key; which means you might have downloaded the demo a ways back. What you may need to do is to of course download the unlock key for MM9 on its game page, but then also download the MM9 demo manually. This should get everything to work. Sorry about the inconvenience there.

+ OddMrT on January 14th, 2013 at 4:16 pm said:

Amazes me how some people can mange to complain about anything. At most you are paying $6 a month for this service and, I’m guessing, if you tallied everything you’ve downloaded so far your retail value far exceeds what you’ve paid. If all we were getting were six year old licensed kids games, you might have a point. Darksiders is a quality game regardless of whether or to you’ve played it. Can you buy it for $10 on disk? Sure. Are you paying $10 for it through this service? Not even close. I’ve seen how constructive criticism can sometimes be appreciated and given a proper response, but no one likes blatant whining over a false sense of entitlement. Yes, Europe has gotten some incredible games lately, but that doesn’t mean that we are getting ripped-off because we aren’t getting the same.

+ Ecks on January 14th, 2013 at 4:17 pm said:

I’ve owned Darksiders since it came out, so another Plus update where I don’t get anything “free”, but that’s okay. I’d like to see Plus receive more new free games, but I know that isn’t always possible.

I’ve gotten enough stuff free through Plus to justify it, just the auto-renewal I got recently really annoyed me. The money just came out of my wallet, and not even an e-mail from Sony to tell me what had happened! Just $50 gone. I figured it out when I saw I still had my Plus access and what must have happened, but really, it shouldn’t be auto-renewal, and it should notify you when taking $50 out of your wallet.

+ komentra on January 14th, 2013 at 4:17 pm said:

Not a bad update to bad I grabbed the game for $5 at a Pawn Shop over the weekend. I wish I could predict the future!

+ Lt_Sokol on January 14th, 2013 at 4:20 pm said:

This is more like it! Great update Morgan, Darksiders is a fantastic game, pass it along to the team. This is the type of game I would love to see more often.

Here is a suggestion for next month: Castelvania: Lords of Shadow. In the similar league and just before the second game is released for those who skipped the original.

Keep up the good work, a little more attention for my PS Vita would be great. ;)

+ I-smily-l on January 14th, 2013 at 4:24 pm said:

@48 u don’t have psplus it expired look next to ur icon

+ NerdyJustin on January 14th, 2013 at 4:25 pm said:

Fanastic update! Thanks guys!

+ Heatseeker125 on January 14th, 2013 at 4:26 pm said:

I didn’t enjoy Darksiders because of its theme and setting so I won’t be re-activating my Plus this week but I’m happy to see another AAA PS3 retail game on US Plus. Keep it up!

+ Ellgars on January 14th, 2013 at 4:30 pm said:

Didnt know that we can get same games again :(

+ Jake_RPG on January 14th, 2013 at 4:30 pm said:

thats amazing,,i really wanted to try this game

Keep it up and u will rule

+ BG808s on January 14th, 2013 at 4:33 pm said:

For the first time in a long while I actually didn’t vote for ‘Nothing for me this week’, I voted for Darksiders because at least it’s a good game that a lot of people can enjoy, even if it’s only a dead THQ title that was already included in the latest THQ humble bundle for “free” as well, so not really a great value but at least it’s better than most of the junk we’ve been getting the past few months…

+ BlueBl1zzard on January 14th, 2013 at 4:33 pm said:

@Ecks Same happened to me but it renewed for 3 months. And I’m not 100% sure but I believe you can disable it under “Account Management”, “Transaction Management”, “Automatic Funding”.

Same for anyone else whose Plus subscription is almost expired.

+ Ikaros19 on January 14th, 2013 at 4:36 pm said:

already have darkside :/ i waiting for a free PSVITA Game!!
or sales change on PSVITA!!

+ Alnuk1 on January 14th, 2013 at 4:40 pm said:

318.- mnstrings the ps+ is only “worthy” for newcomers, for old psvita owners is useless since they already owned them, now put the lack of psp and psx tittles and yes is a total crap. If you love to beg all the week for a good game in the next update hoping that anyone hear you, thats fine enjoy it

But Yeah ps+ vita sucks

+ DavidFCG on January 14th, 2013 at 4:47 pm said:

Wow i was REALLY looking forward to this one. i thought darksiders already was PS+, i was afraid i might have missed out on it. Awesome, finally a great week for ps+, thank you T_T

+ goatamus on January 14th, 2013 at 5:04 pm said:

Playstation Plus is a beautiful thing. So many games for free, and many more at great discounts!
The only thing I dislike is the new PSN Store, it’s very laggy and disproportionate. I agree the old store needed an update, but I feel this is more of a downgrade than vice-versa.

But back on topic, PS Plus rocks! I’ve been waiting and hoping Darksiders would eventually become a part of the instant game collection, my wait is finally over. Thank you Sony for keeping my game on.

+ Farnezi_Eduardo on January 14th, 2013 at 5:05 pm said:

Plus rocks!

+ remanutd5 on January 14th, 2013 at 5:05 pm said:

Oh my god i second 281 comment, bring Heavenly Sword, Folklore to playstation plus!!!!!

+ mnstrings on January 14th, 2013 at 5:06 pm said:

And that’s fine and dandy, don’t get it then. But to blindly say that its not worth it is asinine.

If you think its crap that’s your opinion (whomever off base it may be).

PS+ Vita is great! No complaints here, but I must admit, it does tickle my fancy to see people like you get all upset over it instead of being happy that it actually includes great games.

Newsflash, its not meant to appeal to only you, but anyone, new or old Vita owners and if you don’t like that then though! Feel free to throw more hissy fits, I’ll keep on loling at people like you.

+ Spiral-INfinity on January 14th, 2013 at 5:06 pm said:

I waited 2 years before getting Darksiders (too many games in back catalogue & being poor) finally picked it up for 14 bucks from Gamefly and now you guys decided to give it away…. of course.

+ MrPink78 on January 14th, 2013 at 5:13 pm said:

Nice! Looking forward to playing Darksiders tomorrow.

+ Noskills22 on January 14th, 2013 at 5:18 pm said:

This is why I like having PS+. I’d never purchase Darksiders, but I wouldn’t mind playing it. And now I can avoid the first and accomplish the second, thank you kindly.

+ badreligionbomb on January 14th, 2013 at 5:20 pm said:

I must be having the worst luck with + …. this is week 8 of nothing but games I already own :\

+ branant221 on January 14th, 2013 at 5:33 pm said:

Super great game. Glad more people can play it .

+ zabcdef123456 on January 14th, 2013 at 5:40 pm said:

Great update!I think this is the kinda updates plus members are looking for,I have to admit,Ive been on here whineing and sniveling too,but Ive got to give the sony team credit.Thanks boys….

+ Gadirok on January 14th, 2013 at 5:51 pm said:

This is awesome! I knew you guys would eventually bring this over, one of the games I really wanted to try!

Now all thats left is deus ex:HR and Motorstorm Apocalypse. Let the hype train chug away!

+ xShanghaiGAMERx on January 14th, 2013 at 5:53 pm said:

Even though i already own darksiders, i must say this is a really good update. Thanks sony! meanwhile, may i suggest resistance burning skies free for plus subscribers? Its reception was not really that good but i believe it would be a nice addition to the vita instant game collection.

+ Alnuk1 on January 14th, 2013 at 5:55 pm said:

@mnstring Newflash check psvita sales report even with 3 months free of ps+ or the psvita forum or this blog and than say that appeal to a lot of people.

Just becase sheeps like you love every screw up that sony makes doesnt mean that is good ,Proyected sales and polls are loling at people like you. Meeee

+ FilooGaroo on January 14th, 2013 at 5:59 pm said:

This Time I AM HAPPY !!!…. I could not complain this week….. Darsiders + i will buy Star Drone…

GREAT update…!

Quick question : Where i can buy Wireless Buzzers for Buzz! the game ? …

Seams to be totally not available in Canada…

+ KirAMinh on January 14th, 2013 at 5:59 pm said:

@remanutd5 – [ #33 ]

Yeah. Im hoping SONY will announce Soul Sascrifice at PlayStationDestination on 25 next month. Then demo will comes out after that.

+ mnstrings on January 14th, 2013 at 6:03 pm said:

Sales of the Vita has NOTHING to do with the fact that the 6 free titles are good games or not.

You said they are total crap. Sorry, but what does the fact that it has not been selling well have to do about the quality of these 6 games?

Do I really need to show you links from various review websites and places like Amazon.com where people leave reviews to show you how wrong you are? Just say it, and I’ll put up all the links on here, if you really want me to.

Yeah, nice try (and failing) at diverting the subject to something that wasn’t even discussed or relevant to the fact of how good the games are.

Aw, what’s wrong, I hurt your feelings by laughing at you? is that why you are calling me a sheep?

LMAO, doesn’t work that way bud, you got owned and now your faulty argument just got shattered to pieces.

You laughing at me has as much weight as a hobo who got arrested for masturbating in public and saying the world is going to end, ie. zilch, nothing, you basically just wasted your time and effort in replying to me with such a crappy defense to your original statement.

+ TJF588 on January 14th, 2013 at 6:13 pm said:

@337 remanutd5 – I second this seconding! Heavenly Sword was so early on that it’s perpetually under my shopping radar, and Folklore could do a favor toward the desire for RPGs.

+ javo600 on January 14th, 2013 at 6:13 pm said:

Darksiders!!!! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!!! :D

+ nobodies-hero on January 14th, 2013 at 6:14 pm said:

So yea I already got this but good stuff.. I gotta know though. I am away and cant play the God of War Beta but want the gear for sure. How long is that going to run for?

You guys defs needs to add the website version of the store to north america so I can nab stuff when I am away. Like the gameloft deals Im gunna miss out on because I can’t access the store. And I have a vita.. but it never gets passed firewalls access at hotels to log in anyways and only lets me buy vita games even if i tethered my iphone just to buy sommin.. so yea.

web store and/or vita psn store access to ps3 games.

+ Zeniselv on January 14th, 2013 at 6:15 pm said:

i think the answers in the poll just lack an option of “giving the content a try”.

+ MECCA-4 on January 14th, 2013 at 6:18 pm said:

Is star drone like anything like stardust?

+ GhostMachine1 on January 14th, 2013 at 6:21 pm said:

I’ve been wanting to get into the Darksiders series. Now’s my chance!!

+ TriangleOffense on January 14th, 2013 at 6:22 pm said:

I think this is week like 9 or so where its nothing for me yet again this week.

+ TriangleOffense on January 14th, 2013 at 6:22 pm said:

kinda excited for my plus to run out at this point. at least I wont be wondering how Sony is gonna let me down this week

+ angelbless45 on January 14th, 2013 at 6:30 pm said:

Great News!! About time we get something good :)

+ superfriar19 on January 14th, 2013 at 6:31 pm said:

I love how people who are paying $50 a year/$4.17 a month/$.96 a week expect $100 worth of content a week. This update just proves that people will complain no matter what. Week after week you saw people complaining that EU got Darksiders and we didn’t. Now we get it and everyone complains. Nobody is putting a gun to your head forcing you to have Plus. Cancel it if you don’t like it. That simple.

+ MarkakaJin on January 14th, 2013 at 6:38 pm said:

Why do I get the feeling that we’re getting either Dead Space or Dead Space 2 for free soon? I already have those two games.

+ BWOzar on January 14th, 2013 at 6:38 pm said:

I know you get a ton of flack on here, but I wanted to say thank you for exposing yourself as the public face of PS+. Assuming you don’t get a discount/sale somewhere, PS+ is only $4.17 per month on an annual basis – it’s the best deal in the history of gaming (and that’s before considering all the extra savings garnered on PS+ extra sales). Keep up the good work, keep ignoring the people who seem to expect games released in the last 2 months or are entirely ignorant of international licensing (everyone complaint about EU PS+) and keep offering the best deal in the business (and this from someone who prefer his 360 to PS3).

+ BANDICOOTKING on January 14th, 2013 at 6:40 pm said:

No. it isn’t at all. trust me when I say if you loved star dust, you will hate this game. it requires no skill, looks awful, and just isn’t even worth me sneezing at it. It is a throwaway title.

+ Ghostwize on January 14th, 2013 at 6:41 pm said:

@362 BWOzar Morgan exposed himself to you?

+ Elli27r on January 14th, 2013 at 6:43 pm said:

wow nice one, glad i still have plus and I need to resubscribe next month

+ BWOzar on January 14th, 2013 at 6:46 pm said:

@364 Ghostwize

Well played sir…

+ pers1m0ny on January 14th, 2013 at 6:50 pm said:

Bummer.. already have this game. And I only payed 10$ for it about 6 months ago.

Too bad really, its really a good game for the collection, but PS+ formula is really doomed to disappoint as if by design.

Games seem to mostly fall into one of two categories:
– already have it.
– not interested in it.

Oh well still 5 months in my subscription. If I can get lucky and get a couple more of good games I don’t already own then it will be worth it. But seriously, given that the price of these games when bought new, in store on sales is often around 10$, I need to get at least 5 good games out of my sub for it to be worth it.

At this rate I’m not sure that’s going to happen.

And ‘this poll is set to private’. Seriously??? Why?
We aren’t allowed to see the results? What’s up with that?

How lame!

+ ResistanceGTA on January 14th, 2013 at 6:51 pm said:

Finally was able to log in. As I stated elsewhere Morgan, its a very simple update, but a very promising one with a great title. Looking forward to DmC as well, but I’m still on the fence, I’m gonna wait for some candid impressions, aka the blog team tweeting positives, before I bite on the game.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 12