Tearaway Unfolded

Jan 14

PlayStation Plus Update: Become War in Darksiders, Free for Members

Morgan Haro's Avatar Posted by Morgan Haro on Jan 14, 2013 // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

PS Plus members rang in the New Year with NBA JAM: On Fire Edition and Mega Man 9 and 10 for free. This week, we’re bringing you a mix of action and exploration with the original Darksiders. Read on to find out more about this week’s update and remember to use the polls on the right to let us know what you think of this week’s update! Also, if you haven’t already, make sure you check out NBA Jam: On Fire Edition and Mega Man 9 and 10, which are some of the more recent additions to the PlayStation Plus Instant Game Collection.

Don’t have PlayStation Plus? Go to the PlayStation Store on your PS3 or PS Vita or click here to get access.

January 15th PlayStation Plus Update

Darksiders (PS3)

Free for PS Plus members

Take control of War, one of the fabled Horseman of the Apocalypse, and rain down destruction with a combination of brutal attacks and supernatural abilities. Darksiders’ true appeal however isn’t just in its visceral action. With an emphasis on open world traversal and mind-bending dungeons to explore, Darksiders delivers a true adventure, supported by the amazing art styling of comic book art genius Joe Madureira.

PlayStation Plus Update 1-15-2013

Stardrone Extreme

50% off for PS Plus members (Original price: $3.99; PS Plus Price: $2.00)

Don’t miss out on this great deal for the PS Vita charmer Stardrone Extreme. Each level starts by aiming and shooting yourself out of a cannon into outer space. Your spaceship stays in motion from this point on, and it’s your job to attach to nearby gravity beacons to navigate its flight path. While tethered to a beacon, you’ll swing and attempt to circle the beacon until you release and slingshot yourself further. This core mechanic brings together elements of shoot ‘em up, pinball, collecting objects; all in one unique game.

One other note; some of you noticed that inFAMOUS 2 left PlayStation Plus as a free game last week. This was an error and it will be back in the Instant Game Collection on the 1/15 PlayStation Store Update.

Tell us what you think of this week’s update in the comments below and don’t forget to vote by using the links near the top of the post. You can also delve into the PlayStation Community Forums in the PS Plus space to continue chatting about PS Plus, find other great topics to contribute your thoughts to, or start one for yourself. See you in the comments!

PlayStation Plus Update 1-15-2013

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 12

+ mnstrings on January 14th, 2013 at 6:54 pm said:

Really pathetic when people kept saying how much the NA PS+ sucked and they used Darksiders as an example of the great games EU got. Now that we get it, they are still complaining! Its so STUPID, lol just shows they will whine about anything, so its best to just not take these types of people seriously because they will ALWAYS find something to complain about.

Because as we all know according to them $4.17/month for all these games is such a rip off (sarcasm).

+ ResistanceGTA on January 14th, 2013 at 6:56 pm said:

@367, its set to private, as Morgan stated last time, because he wants to gather feedback from the poll and the comments, but when the polls were public everyone just commented on the poll, which is pointless. I prefer this method, especially the responses provided in this poll.

+ babygirl942000 on January 14th, 2013 at 6:57 pm said:

YESSS!!!! Finally a game I will really enjoy . I really like Darksiders .

+ Alnuk1 on January 14th, 2013 at 6:59 pm said:

Sorry kid you are not even close to hurt my feelings

I call you a sheep because your “facts” dont have any bases just your opinion, the ps+ for PSV are only appealing for newcomers , the people that had the vita for day 1 already have half or all ps+ games before the plus was released.

Enjoy you “awesome deal” and stop talking so much crap, see ya next week when you start begging for a decent ps + game again.

P.D : *sigh* learn to read no one is talking about the quality of the games released we are talking about the quality and value of the ps+ in vita. Meeeeeee

+ pers1m0ny on January 14th, 2013 at 7:00 pm said:

If the polls are going to be private from now on, I ain’t voting anymore on the next poll.

So you don’t like people commenting on the poll result? Too bad.

I am curious to see the result. Want my input? At least you can satisfy my curiosity about what other people voted on.

+ blakseed on January 14th, 2013 at 7:05 pm said:

That’s not a big deal. I beat you’re the type that came on here to talk about the poll rather then the games, hey?

+ broda812 on January 14th, 2013 at 7:14 pm said:

Hmm. I already have Darksiders (because it is an amazing game), but a good opportunity for those who don’t.
Say, Morgan, how about getting rid of that annoying $5 minimum for adding funds to the wallet? Microtransactions are much more desirable when they are smaller increments ($1, $2, $3, maybe $4). Market research shows that people are more willing to pay for things if they don’t need to spend as much money. There are many products on the Playstation Store that are less than $5, but to even purchase a $1 product, we are required to pay $5. It’s poor market strategy.

+ Pildoring on January 14th, 2013 at 7:18 pm said:

@StECnet, @Morgan Haro. About this user that is having the problem with the expired content i have what i think is an explanation: The game have a counter that set an amount of time when you download it, this due to security, (You could no syn you ps3 or play with the system clock if your Plus expire) so when you have x amount of time that not play a game this timer don’t get reset, if you try to play the game off-line the system will show you the expiration message. In my experience this get fixed simply by logging in with the account you purchased the game an open the game with such account. I hope this would help

+ tusunami on January 14th, 2013 at 7:23 pm said:

Well first up stardrone don’t care for it, I have it free for my PS Vita. And 2nd Darksiders for being a PS Plus member so happy been wanting to play this game for too long thx!!!!!!!!!

+ twistedfloyd on January 14th, 2013 at 7:27 pm said:

Nice, been wanting to try this. How about Assassin’s Creed Revelations for free on PS+? Need to catch up on AC.

Or the GOW origins collection. Keep up the great work!

+ Obrusnine on January 14th, 2013 at 7:28 pm said:

After so many crap updates, this is AWESOME! Thanks Sony!

+ mattweimer on January 14th, 2013 at 7:32 pm said:

To everyone complaining. Shut up. It’s free stuff. I pay PS+ to have the cloud saves and automatic updates and what not. To the person that said falls into two categories. Quit crying. Of course there are going to be games you don’t like or already have. Can’t please everyone. Go get mommy to cancel your PS+ subscription on her CC. STFU.

+ UNHOLYxNbK on January 14th, 2013 at 7:33 pm said:

Im sorry if it seems im complaining but trust me im am not. The plus membership payed itself of on launch for me. But ive come to see ps3 gets alot more frequent updates then the vita. Please tell the staff and planners not everyone with a plus membership own a ps3. I got the membership soley for the vita and would like to see more support on this end. Even if its mini’s or psp titles. Thanks :).

+ CrusaderForever on January 14th, 2013 at 7:37 pm said:

Yes!!! I am so happy to see Darksiders as a free download for PS+ members! I have put this game off for a while because EU PS+ members received this for free. I think it’s safe to say that all the great titles that the EU has received are going to come to the US! I bet they get all our PS+ titles as well. Give us Motorstorm Apocalypse and Dead Space 2 next! Thanks Sony!!!

+ hrfuknstuf on January 14th, 2013 at 7:38 pm said:

Darksiders… very nice! I’ve been holding out hope for this one ever since Europe got it a few months back. Also, a hearty congratulations for 21 consecutive positive comments before the first troll popped out from under his bridge; that must be some kind of record for the plus forum!

+ Kangaru14 on January 14th, 2013 at 7:38 pm said:

GoW Beta last week; Darksiders this week. This is setting out to be a good year. Keep it up!

+ mnstrings on January 14th, 2013 at 7:39 pm said:

When the hell have I ever begged on here for a “decent” game? I’ve been happy with what I’ve received since I’ve subscribed, I don’t come here calling something crappy or saying the content is crap because its not new.

I have had the Vita since June and have only bought two of the six games that were introduced to the IGC. Contrary to your beliefs, not everyone goes out and buy every single game out there for the Vita and even if I did have them all, its still a great addition to the IGC.

You are strange, you keep repeating yourself, I hear ya loud and clear chief, no need to say the same thing over and over. So you are talking about the value of the vita part of the IGC? Hmmm, lets go to Amazon and check what the total amount would be if I went and purchased the first six games introduced:

Gravity Rush($36)+Uncharted:Golden Abyss($36.69)+Wipeout 2048($19)+JetSet Radio($9.99)+Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions($9.99)+Mutant Blobs Attack($7.99) = $119.66!

There’s no argument, just quit debating it, You have both QUALITY and VALUE.

Don’t let actual facts hurt your feelings though. I’m done arguing with someone who just complains for the **** of it.

+ nolo451 on January 14th, 2013 at 7:43 pm said:

@ pers1m0ny,

Oh no, please, please do vote, if you don’t vote how will they possibly know what your thoughts are!!!!

lol, sorry, but I highly doubt your input will be missed, its not like they will miss one vote out of 5,000.

I’m glad the results are hidden, so people like you don’t bog down the comments.

+ Aevanilla on January 14th, 2013 at 7:46 pm said:

Really happy to see Darksiders as a PS+ free game. I got this game release day and loved it! Hope you all enjoy it as much as I did. Nice update PS+.

+ shabelev on January 14th, 2013 at 7:56 pm said:

So nothing for the Vita Again.

Thanks a lot Sony for making a lot of promises with this handheld and not delivering. All the games look like crap with no proper native resolution except for LBP which uses a good anti-aliasing technique. I really don’t give a crap if the battery will last just 2 hours as long as the graphics look good. What happened to console quality? Were you referring to the story in a game or to the graphics?

Also, what happened to Hulu Plus and the other apps that were supposed to be released?

I am going to start considering selling my Ps Vita on eBay and start saving up so that I can get a Razer Blade or something in which they actually develop games even a Nexus tablet gets more games developed.

300$ basically dropped in the trash.

+ taddanthony on January 14th, 2013 at 7:58 pm said:

ive had ps+ since it started, and i think ive gotten a lot of value for what ive paid for. there was a lot of free games givin that ive had,but there was a lot givin that i didnt even think about trying. im currently playing anomaly warzone earth and its a very fun game. im looking forward for trying darkness. i would like to play more games like pixeljunk monsters. i also own a vita. and i think uncharted was a cool game to give for the instant game collection, but i only have a 4gb memory. so erasing practically everthing to download it is a pain. i would like ps+ to have more account options like the ability to change my psn id. a free movie rental would be a nice add too.

+ sincrin on January 14th, 2013 at 8:01 pm said:

@ Morgan Haro
Ps2 discounts ??

+ AuralPrincess on January 14th, 2013 at 8:09 pm said:

Pretty good update finally, thanks much for atleast updating something I’ve been wanting to replay in awhile and to those that haven’t played it yet, really good game here, and it’s pretty meaty too. Keep up the good work guys.

+ AxlTheHunter on January 14th, 2013 at 8:15 pm said:

Now this is more like it!

+ quesobros on January 14th, 2013 at 8:21 pm said:

This is awesome! I was just about to buy the game. Now I don’t have to! Thank you!

+ LOBOROCK- on January 14th, 2013 at 8:21 pm said:

+ sanchez_gerard on January 14th, 2013 at 8:28 pm said:

got the platinum trophy, its a great game, too bad i already go it, im starting darksiders 2 aiming for platinum too :)

+ MedMax_02 on January 14th, 2013 at 8:30 pm said:

inFAMOUS 2 free for psn+, price is $19,99 !
Darksiders free for psn+, price is $19,99 !

+ nyahbingi_man on January 14th, 2013 at 8:32 pm said:

finally something good

+ unbornsoldier on January 14th, 2013 at 8:35 pm said:

Even though I already had darksiders. I regret taking it back to GameStop a while back,money was tight at the time :/ sacrifice had to be made,looking forward to downloading this tomorrow,great job Sony :). You know what really gets on my nerves though,it’s all these kids,adults wanting ps plus games I already have on disc :/ to me this ain’t fair to all of us that buy more games at retail,online.I really think its a great idea to have a couple choices to choose from each week for the ones that already bought most of this games.Lastly to all of you complainers,beggars if you ain’t happy with ps plus,don’t sub or resub I’m tired of seeing all this complaining and I want this and this and this smh -_-. I’m very satisfied with this great service for so Lil $$$ we get so much,great discounts,space,automatic downloads,game trials,exclusive demos,betas weeks before anybody else,free themes,avatars at times,instant game collection with so many games but not enough time to play all of them etc…and the service will get better and better,great hop ps team :)!!

+ nyahbingi_man on January 14th, 2013 at 8:37 pm said:

next week plants vs zombies for free on PS+ hahaha

+ Alnuk1 on January 14th, 2013 at 8:39 pm said:

@mnstring whatever kid looks like you need a tissue, my facts are psv poor sales and the angry people with the fail service. but people cant argue with short minded kids. go to bed and move on its better for you.

@387 i feel you dude personally im just waiting for soul sacrifice before i sell this crap 0 support.

+ lobotomies4free on January 14th, 2013 at 8:40 pm said:

Darksiders is great. I platinumed it. Keep hoping for more stuff I don’t have already. Loved getting LBP2 and Rochard. Kinda been hoping for Okami HD.

Anybody that didn’t play Darksiders this is your chance

+ unbornsoldier on January 14th, 2013 at 8:46 pm said:

One last thing to the kids/adults crying time and time again about buying games and all of a sudden they become free for ps plus.Its a business what do you expect?You expect Sony to not sell the games given for free at a later date 0_o really?I do agree that there should be a monthly post for ps plus.That way everyone can plan ahead on what to buy for that month,and not complain they weren’t warned its gonna be free later.Alot of the games that have been given for free I already have on blurry,but I still appreciate the fact that I don’t need to disc swap,and can play them whenever I want without having to switch discs over and over.Even though most games given free might already be owned by many here,we get so much more with plus.Love the discounts :) huge savings.

+ Fruttyman on January 14th, 2013 at 8:47 pm said:

Nothing for me. Again.

+ ImprisonedTitan on January 14th, 2013 at 8:48 pm said:

Great update! Darksiders is a good game for those who missed out.

Presentation is excellent and does a great job of giving you that “epic” feel that you can find in games like God of War, but I do think that pacing is a huge issue about half-way through which could be a huge turnoff for a lot of people.

+ DazeOfWar on January 14th, 2013 at 8:52 pm said:

Great game but have owned it on the 360, still own on PS3, and own on Steam. I really wish you guys would just switch the monthly update like before. This week to week stuff is crap. We all voted on it quite a few months back and majority wanted a monthly update. You say things take time to implement but I think you’ve had enough time to put it into the cycle.

Maybe start giving us something that was so big or blockbuster. How about Catherine, or even the Phineas and Ferb game. I know some people may not care for those but at least they’re different then the rest of the stuff we’ve received. Plus a lot of people probably don’t have them.

Anyways maybe next week I’ll finally get something I don’t have or is worthwhile.

+ TSTina on January 14th, 2013 at 9:01 pm said:

Awesome! I already finished Darksiders on my PC, but I’ve been wanting to play it again before I play the sequel. Now I can earn some extra trophies along the way too.

I don’t think there’s any other game out there that comes as close to being an unofficial spiritual successor to Soul Reaver. They both have similar game mechanics, similar dark atmosphere, a convoluted storyline, eloquent dialog and voice acting. In fact, the voice actor who portrayed War reminds me a lot of Kain.

Keep up the good work and I might just renew my membership. I noticed that RPGs ranked high in last week’s poll. Maybe you could include White Knight Chronicles I & II as a freebie in a future update.

+ TWBUTCHER on January 14th, 2013 at 9:04 pm said:

yet another damn game i bought on sale for $10 on psn.and now its free. how about LA Noire or GTA 4? don’t get me wrong the darksiders games are great !!! I’m still playing the second one. but try giving us something a little bit better then this. p.s. can’t wait to see what you guys give us this summer after E3!!!

+ Sevyne on January 14th, 2013 at 9:08 pm said:

I’ve always felt that games that would be perfect for Plus would be the games that were received well, but not a big success on the market. The great games that got overlooked by the masses not because of a lack of quality but because of lack of exposure. Lots of great games didn’t sell so well for numbers of reasons. If gamers were given the opportunity to experience them through Plus it would not only give recognition where it is deserved, but open the eyes of many gamers who wouldn’t know otherwise.

Lots of niche JRPGs, SRPGs, amongst a list of other things fit the bill pretty well. I’m not saying to push aside everything else to do this, but to bring stuff like that into the mix.

I know everything is much easier said than done. I know a lot of factors go into being able to obtain certain games for Plus, but it’s something to think about.

Oh and I don’t really get why it takes any time at all to change to a monthly update format. Unless you are seriously cutting your deals on getting games to the IGC every week at the last minute I just don’t see why monthly updates pose any issues at all. You used to do it and for some reason just stopped for what seems like no reason.

+ nolo451 on January 14th, 2013 at 9:09 pm said:

I’m pretty happy with my Vita. I just barely finished the 3rd game of all those 6 games we got for free.

Up next, Gravity Rush, and after that I might try out Persona 4 if I can get a good deal on it somewhere.

Still, Just thought I’d throw my .02 in on the Vita since most people tend not to post about it when they are content with something. I think the price drop that was mentioned for this year for the Vita will help with sales, just wish the memory cards were priced more in line with SD cards, *sigh*, but I went ahead and bought a 32GB one for $70. :(

Still, as long as we keep getting some Vita games in the IGC, I’m happy. I wonder what the total value of all the stuff I’ve downloaded must be, quite easily $300 at least.

+ Lefoul-123 on January 14th, 2013 at 9:09 pm said:

I recently buyed a ps3 and a 1 year plus suscription, so far have enjoyed lbp2 and will get darksiders. I want to see proper ps3 games on plus even if they are old, stuff like darksiders is a good idea cuz that way you promote the secuel, I bet a lot of people will like it and buy the second part, I know Im planing to if I like the first one. Other good ideas are

Mass effect.
Some god of war now that ascension is coming out.
Something from rockstar to promote GTA series.
And good old ps1 and ps2 hits, you name it. Crash bandicoot stuff, mgs1, resident evil, ico, sotc. Stuff you already have the rights to put for free.

+ ioshi_US on January 14th, 2013 at 9:10 pm said:

Nothing for me. Again
plsss… give some love for vita owner
if you not give us a free game, please give 50% discount for AAA title game like, Virtue Last Reward, Assassin Creed Liberation, Ragnarok Odyssey, DJMAX Technika Tune

+ ShadowNextGen on January 14th, 2013 at 9:11 pm said:

Darksiders is a great selection for PS Plus members. Have you guys thought of putting titles up that came out when not many people owned a PS3? Stuff like Heavenly Sword that I would bet the majority of the PS3 community hasn’t played. Thanks!

+ SpaceOddity87 on January 14th, 2013 at 9:12 pm said:

Judging from the demo, Darksiders isn’t so good, but free is free. I’ll probably play it.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on January 15th, 2013 at 9:37 am said:

Get past the first hour. Once you get through the intro stuff, the more dungeon adventure Zelda-esque gameplay really starts to take hold.

+ mnstrings on January 14th, 2013 at 9:14 pm said:

haha, while I may dislike people whining about something each week, its so funny to see them so upset over something that offers so much value.

Now that we get something EU got, its even more hilarious that they still whine about something. Just shows, these people will whine no matter what we are given.

I just keep on lol’ing.

+ iREVOLTER on January 14th, 2013 at 9:18 pm said:

Thx, I’ll revisit War’s story one more time and platinum this one.

+ TWBUTCHER on January 14th, 2013 at 9:19 pm said:

i got a great idea sony . how about just once you let the psn community vote on whats free next . how about it Morgan?

+ bt1234567892010 on January 14th, 2013 at 9:20 pm said:

I would agree with you on LA Noire or GTA IV, but only if they were the complete editions. I bought LA Noire back in its launch month, haven’t gotten any of the DLC except what came with it. as for GTA IV, same deal, I bought it back when it was released, and I have Episodes from Liberty City, on 360 >.> I just want the DLCs for GTA IV on PS3 so I can get all of the dang trophies! Red Dead Redemption would be good too, if it included Undead Nightmare at least :D

+ luismcbo on January 14th, 2013 at 9:29 pm said:

finally a good game… i hope this trend continue LoL…

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 12