Deus Ex Mankind Divided

Jan 14

PlayStation Plus Update: Become War in Darksiders, Free for Members

Morgan Haro's Avatar Posted by Morgan Haro on Jan 14, 2013 // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

PS Plus members rang in the New Year with NBA JAM: On Fire Edition and Mega Man 9 and 10 for free. This week, we’re bringing you a mix of action and exploration with the original Darksiders. Read on to find out more about this week’s update and remember to use the polls on the right to let us know what you think of this week’s update! Also, if you haven’t already, make sure you check out NBA Jam: On Fire Edition and Mega Man 9 and 10, which are some of the more recent additions to the PlayStation Plus Instant Game Collection.

Don’t have PlayStation Plus? Go to the PlayStation Store on your PS3 or PS Vita or click here to get access.

January 15th PlayStation Plus Update

Darksiders (PS3)

Free for PS Plus members

Take control of War, one of the fabled Horseman of the Apocalypse, and rain down destruction with a combination of brutal attacks and supernatural abilities. Darksiders’ true appeal however isn’t just in its visceral action. With an emphasis on open world traversal and mind-bending dungeons to explore, Darksiders delivers a true adventure, supported by the amazing art styling of comic book art genius Joe Madureira.

PlayStation Plus Update 1-15-2013

Stardrone Extreme

50% off for PS Plus members (Original price: $3.99; PS Plus Price: $2.00)

Don’t miss out on this great deal for the PS Vita charmer Stardrone Extreme. Each level starts by aiming and shooting yourself out of a cannon into outer space. Your spaceship stays in motion from this point on, and it’s your job to attach to nearby gravity beacons to navigate its flight path. While tethered to a beacon, you’ll swing and attempt to circle the beacon until you release and slingshot yourself further. This core mechanic brings together elements of shoot ‘em up, pinball, collecting objects; all in one unique game.

One other note; some of you noticed that inFAMOUS 2 left PlayStation Plus as a free game last week. This was an error and it will be back in the Instant Game Collection on the 1/15 PlayStation Store Update.

Tell us what you think of this week’s update in the comments below and don’t forget to vote by using the links near the top of the post. You can also delve into the PlayStation Community Forums in the PS Plus space to continue chatting about PS Plus, find other great topics to contribute your thoughts to, or start one for yourself. See you in the comments!

PlayStation Plus Update 1-15-2013

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 12

+ BansheeWrath on January 14th, 2013 at 9:30 pm said:

Darksiders eh? Sweet, I never had the chance to play this game, I’ll definitely end up downloading it tonight

+ Dioscuri_MEX on January 14th, 2013 at 9:37 pm said:

Yes! I was looking for this one but wasn´t sure about buying it

+ shikigami78 on January 14th, 2013 at 10:55 pm said:

Awesome!!!! Darksiders was on my Amazon wishlist. PS Plus got me covered this week!!

+ JayBizzle311 on January 14th, 2013 at 11:02 pm said:

Sweet update……

Definitely Siren to go along with Darksiders.

However, I would like to suggest a Siren: Blood Curse discount and trophy support. That would be freaking stellar!

+ lonewhitewolf1 on January 14th, 2013 at 11:04 pm said:

i got stardrone when the vita came out and i am not really into darksiders. another month i will go without psn i guess.

+ skate927 on January 14th, 2013 at 11:18 pm said:

How many time i have to wait for free games on the Vita in Mexico the PS3 is to Expensive i have to wait to my Birthday to buy give more PS Vita Free Games :(

+ malex67us on January 14th, 2013 at 11:56 pm said:

Definately a big yes to those who have mentioned heavenly sword to the instant game collection.

+ malex67us on January 15th, 2013 at 12:00 am said:

Also add Arkham Asylum, better than Arkham City

+ combatkrazyjerom on January 15th, 2013 at 12:10 am said:

like god of war

+ Knightedrik on January 15th, 2013 at 12:18 am said:

This is a good thing, getting Darksiders on Plus.. But, I can’t help but feeling like Plus is being spread a little thin now that vita has horned in. Why doesn’t vita have it’s on Plus or store. I mean listing things on the PS store is great and all.. But if you are a Plus member and DO NOT own a Vita, then this is taking away from what I paid good money for. I’m not dis’in the Vita at all.. but I mean we used to have a PS3 PS Plus update and now we have a PS3/PS vita update. And half of the money I am paying out goes for a product that wasn’t there when I signed up, nor will I probably ever use.

+ Knightedrik on January 15th, 2013 at 12:18 am said:

Vita should not share the PS Plus limelight, It should have it’s own. If you don’t own a Vita.. your getting 50% less off of Plus then you used to get, which altogether isn’t much to begin with.

I’m sure the Vita is quite awesome.. but to tell the truth, I’m kind of afraid to buy one.. it’s just not a good time in my mind. With PS4 right around the corner, and the fact that I got burned on PSP Go.. How long until you stop supporting the Vita, or release the Vita 2?

Long story short. Make 2 updates. 1 for PS3 games.. and 1 for Vita game. Or at least double the content for both. I’m sorry, but I just don’t think this is fair.

+ gaiashk30 on January 15th, 2013 at 12:34 am said:

I am very happy about this update thought id never play darksiders in my life as i aint a big RPG fan, but since its on the update and free i’m going to try it out for sure aint going to hurt, plus i heard nothing but stellar reviews about this game…

Anyways to my main point and don’t take this the wrong way, i’m not complaining.. But, do you guys do PSN games?? Like arcade games if you will, nothing wrong with full games just wondering if you guys will be… And hope you don’t mind me suggesting Madden NFL Arcade if you guys can i would love to play that one again sometime…

+ kcku0527 on January 15th, 2013 at 12:38 am said:

Good update a little light though, I will say that now I finally get to play the first Darksiders, I have the second but have resisted the urge to open it yet since I had never played the first one yet. I know we just had the huge winter sales but I would have liked to see a few more discounted items.

+ Tyrannikos on January 15th, 2013 at 12:45 am said:

Already played Darksiders on 360 when it came out, but I had to give it back to my friend right when I was done. SUPER excited to play through it again! Maybe I’ll get inspired to try Darksiders II afterwards!

+ DragonWolfJD on January 15th, 2013 at 1:27 am said:

Another week where I download nothing only thing I’ve gotten out of plus since July has been the discount on Skull Girls and Tokyo Jungle. Is there going to be another update next week or is January just another month of boring games for “free”. Hopefully February will end my yawning.

+ dubmast on January 15th, 2013 at 1:38 am said:

First off I want to say that I am very happy with the new content. I have never written on the blog before and I have not been disappointed much in the past two years I have been with PS plus. The question I have, is there any Move games in the works for future updates? Thanx.

+ Elvick_ on January 15th, 2013 at 2:03 am said:

Already have Stardrone. Solid game, had no idea it was cross buy until way after I started to go through my download list.

I’d rather save my very limited harddrive space on Darksiders and buy the bluray, but it’s nice to have a digital copy regardless.

+ Elvick_ on January 15th, 2013 at 2:06 am said:

@428: Stardrone is cross buy. Therefore PS3 and PS Vita.

And, the PSP Go was a PSP with less features. ie; no UMD Drive. Buying it, was stupid on your part when it was already known that not every UMD game would release digitally. Accept your part of the blame, as I do for buying a Zune.

+ Elvick_ on January 15th, 2013 at 2:08 am said:

@415: No.

Look at Steam’s Greenlight for how “community voting” does NOT work. At all.

+ AlecMorero on January 15th, 2013 at 2:15 am said:

anybody knows here when the update hits the psn

+ ademichelius on January 15th, 2013 at 2:20 am said:

I’m not sure if this game was already planned for PS Plus users, or if it is a response for all the negatives feedbacks from previous updates. Either way, nice update, it’s impossible to make everyone happy, but it’s nice to treat everyone fairly. Thanks!

+ lkRaven-X on January 15th, 2013 at 3:54 am said:

Darksiders is the best title that we are getting in PS+ after a long time. I was going to switch to an EU account for plus games cos of the mediocre offerings. I might do so if this becomes a one hit wonder. But I understand that you guys might do some changes after the recent polls.

On the other hand, did the latest firmware change the ability for non-ps+ accounts playing ps+ games that reside in the same ps3. For example my wife used to play ps+ games that I downloaded using my master account. But now it is not possible. If you guys did this intentionally is there any reason behind this. As far as I can see accessing the content on the same PS3 system should not be limited. Its unfair for my wife to also get a PS+ account since we both share the same PS3.

+ Light_wish01 on January 15th, 2013 at 4:21 am said:

What time will this update come out? I’m really looking forward to playing Darksiders

+ MedMax_02 on January 15th, 2013 at 4:39 am said:

Nothing for me. Again.

Help me

+ Ghost_RJ on January 15th, 2013 at 5:09 am said:

Finally a great game, hard to find in stores, awesome!

+ TaLTaL55 on January 15th, 2013 at 5:11 am said:

Finally a good update!
Thank god! :D

+ joefranco85 on January 15th, 2013 at 5:15 am said:

Thanks a lot for this wwonderful gift!! an excelent game.

+ bombbreath on January 15th, 2013 at 6:22 am said:

Thanks Great games for this week, but lets try to be more timely on your posts, ok the boss is watching,
Thank you from your Customer Ambassador to the Playstation Network online id: bombbreath Sony make.belive
Good Job Morgan. Keep up the good work. More snappy next time.

+ sab_krit on January 15th, 2013 at 6:51 am said:

@mnstrings Don’t soil ur pants lol’ing.

+ pOcHo_OX on January 15th, 2013 at 6:59 am said:

Great game, this is the best, I’ll be waiting at the end of the month a new vita game.

+ Gisuro on January 15th, 2013 at 7:01 am said:

Thank you very Much!
I was waiting to have an excuse to play this game for a while.

+ MedMax_02 on January 15th, 2013 at 7:02 am said:

Help me, not inFamuos, not dark

+ IzoGray on January 15th, 2013 at 7:18 am said:

Please try giving us Okami HD or the Mega Man X series as a Plus debut exclusive. Please read this.

+ pudgenet on January 15th, 2013 at 7:41 am said:

Darksiders is not a bad choice. An improvement over recent offerings. Thanks.

+ Mathwim on January 15th, 2013 at 7:58 am said:

Nice work guys!!!

+ alex_nobre on January 15th, 2013 at 7:58 am said:

Good Game! thank you guys!

Please one question:

Have any chance that the game Legacy of Kain Defiance arrive on PSN?

Thank you!

+ SLY12 on January 15th, 2013 at 8:20 am said:

I don’t know anything about Darksiders, but it seems like it will be a fun game to play through. What I would like to see, and I’ve been waiting for it for a long time, is Dante’s Inferno. Now, I would be really happy if that one could come to plus.

+ navyjoker2000 on January 15th, 2013 at 8:25 am said:

I just signed up for Plus. How often do they do an update for it? Is it weekly like the store updates?

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on January 15th, 2013 at 9:04 am said:

Yep; PS Plus content updates alongside the PS Store updates, which occur weekly.

+ Oblivieon on January 15th, 2013 at 8:28 am said:

Thanks for the update. Darksiders is terrific. I wish PS+ would offer some kind of UMD swap program for us that have both PSP’s and Vita’s. I know that’s a little complicated and who doesn’t want that right? But it would be quite a benefit to being a Plus member.

+ SiriusCJS on January 15th, 2013 at 8:29 am said:

I’m still waiting for that one thing to get me back on PS+, & this ain’t it. Seems like a great game, but not enough to get me back aboard. I’m not even talking about freebies – I would love to see some more great sales. They currently seem scant.

I was automatically renewed for Oct, Nov, Dec, which I didn’t mind at first. My previous 3 months & the trial before that were killer. I was ready to go for a full year! But those 90s days I was auto billed for were a big let down. Especially the Arkham City fiasco. I’m still hopeful, open, & waiting to get back on the boat…

+ Saeed-Al-Dosary on January 15th, 2013 at 8:42 am said:

Please don’t give games that have been offered in EU PlayStation Plus, please please please.

It’s really bad to see the same game offered in both EU and US PlayStation Plus.

Don’t ever copy EU PlayStation Plus, PLEASE.

If you want to copy them, give us Red Dead Redemption, or you can give us games that have been offered in US PlayStation Plus before the Instant Game Collection (a lot of people didn’t know about PlayStation Plus before announcing Instant Game Collection at E3) such as Tomb Raider Underworld.

It’s alright if you give mediocre or bad games as long as it have not been offered before in US or EU PlayStation Plus.

Also, please don’t give games that don’t support trophies (Saints Row 2 and Mega Man 9), because any game that doesn’t support a simple thing like trophies is very bad. Yes, very bad.

+ SiriusCJS on January 15th, 2013 at 8:42 am said:

Also, I agree with Knightedrik. I don’t plan on ever getting a Vita. Even if I did, it shouldn’t take content away from the PS3 plus updates. Either make separate updates with tiered accounts or double down on the updates. It wouldn’t be fair for everyone to pay the same amount & end up getting less content because a new handheld is out there. Since I’m currently off PS+ & waiting to come back on, it’ll be interesting to see where this goes.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on January 15th, 2013 at 9:26 am said:

PS Vita Plus has not, and will not affect the value proposition for gamers who are on Plus and only have a PS3.

+ Saeed-Al-Dosary on January 15th, 2013 at 8:43 am said:

Moreover, please don’t give impossible or very hard to beat games such as BloodRayne: Betrayal, Mega man 9, and Mega Man 10. Because playing games is to have fun and enjoy yourself, NOT to hate your life!!!!!

NFL Blitz and NBA Jam: On Fire Edition are FAR better than this update. At least they are new and have not been offered half a year ago in EU PlayStation Plus.

Thank you very much and best regards.

+ sab_krit on January 15th, 2013 at 8:47 am said:

@Saeed-Al-Dosary What are u trying to say? Y RDR is ok but not DarkSiders? How old are you?

+ sab_krit on January 15th, 2013 at 8:49 am said:

@Saeed-Al-Dosary I mean Seriously NFL Blitz and NBA Jam: On Fire is better than Darksiders? Just keep quiet and play the games ur dad buy for you.

+ BrotherPC on January 15th, 2013 at 8:51 am said:

It’s day 15 and so far has not released the Darksiders. Anyone know what time it releases?

+ brandon199316 on January 15th, 2013 at 8:57 am said:

I would like to see dragon age origins released free for ps plus members.

+ YungShep on January 15th, 2013 at 9:01 am said:

@ Saeed-Al-Dosary

it’s not anyone’s fault but your if you didn’t know ps plus existed long before last year’s E3, you shouldn’t be rewarded for not paying attention.

A) sign up for Playstation news letters, simple take a few seconds and you’ll be in the “know”
B) visit the blog DAILY, if you can check you email everyday, you can visit the blog everyday. only take 2-3 min.
C) don’t wait for E3 to hear things that was already going on for your console,
D) a lot happens in 1 year. not just June.

your complaint about what were getting now is absurd. chill out.

+ BlueBl1zzard on January 15th, 2013 at 9:02 am said:

@Saeed-Al-Dosary I”m not sure if you’re being serious or sarcastic…

+ YungShep on January 15th, 2013 at 9:02 am said:

@466 the ps store always update between 3pm-7pm eastern time, always.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 12