Until Dawn

Jan 14

PlayStation Plus Update: Become War in Darksiders, Free for Members

Morgan Haro's Avatar Posted by Morgan Haro on Jan 14, 2013 // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

PS Plus members rang in the New Year with NBA JAM: On Fire Edition and Mega Man 9 and 10 for free. This week, we’re bringing you a mix of action and exploration with the original Darksiders. Read on to find out more about this week’s update and remember to use the polls on the right to let us know what you think of this week’s update! Also, if you haven’t already, make sure you check out NBA Jam: On Fire Edition and Mega Man 9 and 10, which are some of the more recent additions to the PlayStation Plus Instant Game Collection.

Don’t have PlayStation Plus? Go to the PlayStation Store on your PS3 or PS Vita or click here to get access.

January 15th PlayStation Plus Update

Darksiders (PS3)

Free for PS Plus members

Take control of War, one of the fabled Horseman of the Apocalypse, and rain down destruction with a combination of brutal attacks and supernatural abilities. Darksiders’ true appeal however isn’t just in its visceral action. With an emphasis on open world traversal and mind-bending dungeons to explore, Darksiders delivers a true adventure, supported by the amazing art styling of comic book art genius Joe Madureira.

PlayStation Plus Update 1-15-2013

Stardrone Extreme

50% off for PS Plus members (Original price: $3.99; PS Plus Price: $2.00)

Don’t miss out on this great deal for the PS Vita charmer Stardrone Extreme. Each level starts by aiming and shooting yourself out of a cannon into outer space. Your spaceship stays in motion from this point on, and it’s your job to attach to nearby gravity beacons to navigate its flight path. While tethered to a beacon, you’ll swing and attempt to circle the beacon until you release and slingshot yourself further. This core mechanic brings together elements of shoot ‘em up, pinball, collecting objects; all in one unique game.

One other note; some of you noticed that inFAMOUS 2 left PlayStation Plus as a free game last week. This was an error and it will be back in the Instant Game Collection on the 1/15 PlayStation Store Update.

Tell us what you think of this week’s update in the comments below and don’t forget to vote by using the links near the top of the post. You can also delve into the PlayStation Community Forums in the PS Plus space to continue chatting about PS Plus, find other great topics to contribute your thoughts to, or start one for yourself. See you in the comments!

PlayStation Plus Update 1-15-2013

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 12

+ Bealtazar on January 15th, 2013 at 9:04 am said:

wow, Darksiders, great game, but and PS Vita Update, but thanks for the Darksider!

+ Welmosca on January 15th, 2013 at 9:11 am said:

1st time there ain’t nothing for me this week…I bought Darksiders a long time ago…and I highly recommend…its one of the best multiplat games….for those who missed don’t waste this chance and plus Darksiders 2 is much better….actually Darksiders 2 is the real GOTY of 2012…yeah best game of 2012…but sadly is too underrated.Waiting for the next week but I’m glad that people will get the chance to play Darksiders…hope this boost the sales of Darksiders 2.

+ luisoncpp on January 15th, 2013 at 9:29 am said:

:o Darksiders it’s a great game, but sadly nothing for me this week, I already have it :( (it was in 5 dollars in Steam many times and also it was in a Humble Bundle).
Personally, I prefer to see in PS+ games that cannot be played on PC because I already have the ones that are more interesting for me.
It would be nice to see Red Dead Redemption one of these days (don’t misunderstand, it’s not a complain, it’s a suggestion).

+ Toddimus144 on January 15th, 2013 at 9:39 am said:

I thought I read “Demons Souls” was to be the free game this week.. guess I was mistaken, any idea where or why I may have seen that. Darksiders is a good game, god of war clone, I recommend everyone try it, unfortunately its also another “old” game and can easily be purchased used at gamestop for about 5-6 dollars. Was really looking forward to good content this year, sorry I renewed.

+ BigBacon87 on January 15th, 2013 at 10:06 am said:

I’d personally prefer to see top notch PSN games given to Plus members than 3 and 4 year old retail titles. Like many core gamers, I bought Darksiders on day 1. Still it’s a great game so a good deal for new gamers. I am starting to see Plus less as a service for core gamers though and more appealing for new or casual gamers, which is dissapointing for those of us who already spend thousands a year supporting this industry in addition to our PS Plus subscribtion. I really do think they should start offering a choice. This game for free or if you’ve already got it, something different. In the Springtime we were getting badass under the radar top notch indie games like Outland, BloodRayne and Trine 2. I much prefer games like that to games like Bioshock 2 and Darksiders, games that most every gamer and their little brother played and beat years ago.

+ WheatstoneHolmes on January 15th, 2013 at 10:07 am said:

Thanks for the software update of the store it runs a LOT faster!

+ sab_krit on January 15th, 2013 at 10:16 am said:

@BigBacon87 You already got NBA:Jam on fire and megaman 9 and 10 this month. So what are you complaining about?

+ FireArg on January 15th, 2013 at 10:39 am said:

Thank you! skipped completely the darksiders series, i liked the trailers of this very first one when it was released so ill be checking it out for sure.
I love that my PS gets auto updated automatically however i would like to spend more time on my vita(AC Liberation maaayybe?)

Keep up the good work and send more full titles please :3

+ Ldrofmn on January 15th, 2013 at 10:51 am said:

Awesome!! I’ve been wanting to try out Darksiders for awhile, and now it’s free!!!

+ Eckro_07 on January 15th, 2013 at 10:57 am said:

This is one of my best games! Thank you.! :)

+ likeanobody on January 15th, 2013 at 10:57 am said:

Now that’s what we have been expecting for weeks, great update, thanks!
Hey Morgan, you know if MK 9 will hit the free plus, as it did on europe?

+ passivefamiliar on January 15th, 2013 at 10:59 am said:

Well nothing for me, already had darksiders and that game looks…needs a demo. We’ll see. But this was still a good drop. I’m happy with it even if i don’t personally get anything.

Still want to see some better ps2 classics dropped. Dark cloud 1 and 2 bundle. FFX. The list could be….very long. But really. You need a poll section, where we can voice our desires better. Listen or don’t but the outlet would be nice.

+ DonkeyKongKilla on January 15th, 2013 at 11:11 am said:

@BrotherPC – Take note Sony is on Pacific time. The store usually updates in the evening of the day like YungShep says. So its depending on your location.

@YungShep – I usually get it 5-7pm EST, nowhere near that early, well I think one was that I seen, the holiday update anyway. then have to wait another 30mins for it to fully update. Hopefully this is part of the maintenance they are doing.

@Morgan – I know this would be unlikely. But for plus Updates sense you do the posts Monday, It’d be cool to add pushing out the Plus content on Monday as well. Just a suggestion.

+ JROD0823 on January 15th, 2013 at 11:18 am said:

I will be putting “Nothing for me this week” because I platinumed this game a year and seven months ago. What incentive is there to download and play it again?

+ JROD0823 on January 15th, 2013 at 11:23 am said:

Darksiders 2 is far from being the best game last year, there were so many pointless fetch quests that I almost didn’t complete the stupid game. I also thought I was supposed to feel like a badass playing as Death, but War was an immensely more powerful character at the end of 1 compared to Death at the end of 2.

+ Ventus_Fury on January 15th, 2013 at 11:54 am said:

…No comment on Tales Of Vesperia on the Japanese Role Playing game Selection for future Genres selections from last week’s poll? I really want a C/D on that. Typo or Legit, Troll or Good.

Just curious as I think they meant Graces f for the real game there.

Be nice if it wasn’t though. :)

+ Leiruc on January 15th, 2013 at 12:07 pm said:

Wow. I been wanting to play this again ever since my time trial was over!!! Thank you Playstation!!!

+ DonkeyKongKilla on January 15th, 2013 at 12:08 pm said:

Morgan – with the inconsistency with plus acknowledging certain key factors. I want to download the time trial for this to test the waters, however I feel maybe if I like it it’d say unavailable for some reason like the bundle packs when someone downloaded one of the two games offered. Could there be a error to this as well? Or when it updates will I get the full game key unlock?

+ sab_krit on January 15th, 2013 at 12:10 pm said:

@JROD0823 oh its ok u can play mega man 9, 10 and NBA JAM on fire. Or name the retail title whichh you are looking for.

+ sab_krit on January 15th, 2013 at 12:13 pm said:

@JROD0823 and als there is another option “I already have this game”. You can select that option.

+ exziledone on January 15th, 2013 at 12:16 pm said:

I love that Darksiders finally the U.S. gets its chance. Ive skipped out on the whole series due to costs now a days where i cant afford games which kinda sucks.

But looking on the PS Store. What day and what time will Darksiders be on the store. I looked and it wasnt on there yet and its 2:00 Here. Thanks. By the way its a great choice in game!

Also is there a chance of getting An NCAA Football game older or newer. Maybe an NBA2k game for ps plus.
Also into stores and maybe down the road add in Final Fantasy XII into the PS store that one i really want to see n that one just in the ps store

+ pers1m0ny on January 15th, 2013 at 12:20 pm said:

@ blakseed on January 14th, 2013 at 7:05 pm said:

> That’s not a big deal.

Maybe not, but what else can I do? I don’t like that its private, that’s the only thing I can do as ‘protest’.
I’m sure they like to get the data. If more people like me, think making polls private is lame, maybe they can protest by witholding there votes as well. Plus, make their opinion heard.

One person not voting is no biggy. If lots of people protest and comment about it… maybe it is.

> I beat you’re the type that came on here to talk about the poll rather then the games, hey?

Actually no, I am just interested to see what other people say, percentage wise. And be honest…
Aren’t you?

I’ve never commented on the poll before… until now…
As I felt I just had to comment on the fact that the result is private and I think that’s just lame.

I think if you they do a poll to get our input at least we should get to see the results.

Just my opinion of course, everyone is entitled to their own.

+ sab_krit on January 15th, 2013 at 12:24 pm said:

@pers1m0ny That’s true, and what u want to do looking at the poll results?

+ pers1m0ny on January 15th, 2013 at 12:37 pm said:

@sab_krit on January 15th, 2013 at 12:24 pm said:

> pers1m0ny That’s true, and what u want to do looking at the poll results?

Exactly, I want to look at the results. That’s it really. It’s a human trait called ‘curiosity’.

After I see them, maybe I might feel like commenting on the results, and why not?
But to be honest, so far I haven’t commented on the poll results at all.

I have however commented on the fact that the results are now private.

So what’s better then?
a) people commenting on the actual results
b) people discussing about poll being private and whether or not that’s fair.

Public or private, I think either way, you are probably getting some amount of comments about the poll.

Plus… I doubt it upsets anyone that the poll results are public, but it might upset some people if they are private.

So what’s best?

+ sab_krit on January 15th, 2013 at 12:45 pm said:

@pers1m0ny hmmm I guess its better to have a blog post just for those polls.

But I feel it’s better on commenting about what games you need and a positive or negative comment of the updates, instead of any comment abt the poll.

+ bebojet on January 15th, 2013 at 12:47 pm said:

I haven’t picked up Darksiders 2 because I wanted to finish part 1 first. Now I can! I suggest ‘Shadows of the Damned’ to be a future free PS+ game. It’s a very under rated games that many gamers never heard of.

+ hellsflamecharge on January 15th, 2013 at 12:50 pm said:

Sweet, I’ve been wanting to give this one a go. Great game this week!

+ invalidts2 on January 15th, 2013 at 12:59 pm said:

wow, 1st god of war ascension beta and 2 free megaman games, and now,

darksiders and new borderlands 2 dlc!?,

2 great updates in a row, keep it up!!!!.

+ death_by_wabbit on January 15th, 2013 at 1:08 pm said:

Darksiders 2, Already played it but still not a bad pick

+ hellsflamecharge on January 15th, 2013 at 1:20 pm said:

You guys with the pick the one you want are tripping. There have been games made available that I already had, I just accepted it.
I could see if this service was 15 – 20 a month, than yea, but for less than 5 dollars a month, I generally take what I can get. My only complaint is seeing the ps vita games, since I paid for this service though my PS3. But, if you’ve got a vita than you’d want said games.
There have been some pretty decent games put up lately. you really can’t to pay less than 5 a month and get choice pickings.
Maybe, you should drop a few extra bucks and get gamefly. It would be more up your ally, though, for more than one game at a time the price is steep IMO.

+ BlueBl1zzard on January 15th, 2013 at 1:21 pm said:

@pers1m0ny Up until last week, the poll results were public, and half of the comments in those blog posts would just say, “Well the poll says this, or the poll says that.” So I guess morgan would rather have (a majority of) the comments be focused on something other than what “the polls say”

+ dorkgeniuz21 on January 15th, 2013 at 1:22 pm said:

Can you guys please tell sony that us Ps vita owners would like way more Remote-play & cross controller content. Or at the least tell Sony to make cross-controller automatically compatible with the entire Ps3 so we can basically use the Vita as a ps3 controller and if anything replace our ps3 controllers.Thats what most of us want to do atleast and its kind of nerve wrecking waiting for individuel developers to come up with ideas for cross-controller schemes or remote-play patches…

+ sab_krit on January 15th, 2013 at 1:26 pm said:

‘If you’re one of the people who say they can barely afford the 50 bucks a year, than maybe you shouldn’t be spending time playing video games?’

What nonsense are you talking? You are saying a student who paid a lot of money for a tuition and cant afford 50 bucks for this service or a guy paying mortgage and doesn’t want to afford 50 bucks for this service should not play video games? Or a kid who’s parent doesnt want to pay 50 bucks for the service every year should not play video games?

+ ECisMe on January 15th, 2013 at 1:35 pm said:

Good update! I’m rather excited to tackle this one.

+ sab_krit on January 15th, 2013 at 1:38 pm said:

yeah nice update! I would rejoice POP trilogy also!!!

+ sUredruMdoG on January 15th, 2013 at 2:07 pm said:

thank you PS Plus Darksiders is a bad ass game and u will never hear a complanit from me free is free so thanks again. Keep up the good work.

+ zultan8212 on January 15th, 2013 at 2:32 pm said:

I’m not particularly interested in this game but it’s nice to see a game of this caliber make it to the IGC. Keep it up!

+ QueenB82 on January 15th, 2013 at 3:08 pm said:

Well I can’t say I voted b/c in a sense it’s kind of a 2-way response for me for one I already have StarDrome (I’ve had for a few months now) and, atm, I’m not sure how I feel about Darksiders yet (maybe I’ll download it; maybe not)–but it seems kinda interesting.

But I will say at least the week is far more better than what it has been for Plus update. I only lament that there wasn’t something for the Vita this week (you guys/gals *really* need to put more emphasis on that as the weeks and months go by).

+ MechaYoakoCL on January 15th, 2013 at 3:31 pm said:

No love for VITA!?!?!??!?!

+ ojha_cojek on January 15th, 2013 at 4:55 pm said:

Hm I don’t get why Dungeon Hunter for vita is not $0,99 for plus when you just gave it to ps3 users?

+ Sadist1313 on January 15th, 2013 at 5:34 pm said:

Love this game! thanks for the freebie!!

+ pers1m0ny on January 15th, 2013 at 5:56 pm said:

@BlueBl1zzard on January 15th, 2013 at 1:21 pm said:

> @pers1m0ny Up until last week, the poll results were public, and half of the comments in those blog
> posts would just say, “Well the poll says this, or the poll says that.” So I guess morgan would rather have
> (a majority of) the comments be focused on something other than what “the polls say”

More than half? Really. You actually counted them?

Seriously though, I understand what you mean. And I understand Morgan’s reasoning as well.
That doesn’t change my opinion that it is a little bit of a lame thing to do to conduct a poll then hide the results.

The way I see it, you milk the community for some information, the very least you can do in return is let everybody in on the result.

If ‘this poll is private’ going to be the way. I will exercise the only means I have of protesting:
– no more votes from me
– at least one comment / question about the poll being private

Anyhow, I think I’ve made enough posts about this now.

No more comments about this from me on this weeks blog post.

+ abitca on January 15th, 2013 at 8:57 pm said:

A friend has been bugging me to play this game forever… keeps telling me to just buy it but I just don’t have the money to be buying games I’m not so sure about. Yes, I’ve heard it’s amazing but I don’t like spending my money on a game I’m not absolutely certain I will enjoy and want to own. Anyway — very glad to see it available on PS+ so that I can give it a go!

+ Oblivieon on January 16th, 2013 at 1:16 am said:

Hey Morgan, Just thought of something… First off the PS+ program is the craziest thing I’ve ever seen. I love it, so keep up the great work! When you break it down honestly, If we get one good month, We’re already seeing value. I’ve already done that easily with the Vita offerings. But on to my question!

Do you think the PS+ team would consider a “Second chance” offer or promotion? For example “This month download 5 games you missed from the back catalog of games that were offered?” Or maybe as an incentive to subscribe or renew? Like “Subscribe or Renew to PS+ and download 5 games of your choice from the back catalog.”

I think it’ll add quite a bit of value to the program, plus it helps late adpoters somewhat catch up on what they missed.

+ sab_krit on January 16th, 2013 at 7:06 am said:

@Oblivieon Why just 5? Why not all the US + IGC and EU + IGC from the back catalog? (Sarcasm)

@pers1m0ny So What really triggered u to comment abt the poll in the first place, if you are going to protest by not voting? Seems like you dont care abt the polls for the real purpose of it.

+ GT-420 on January 16th, 2013 at 8:06 am said:

Just checking back in here to say Darksiders is awesome, thanks again for listening to us and please keep things going in this direction.

+ bagybagog on January 16th, 2013 at 8:25 am said:

Darksiders is not a bad choice. An improvement over recent offerings. Thanks.

+ Hoopjone on January 16th, 2013 at 8:40 am said:

this game is garbage.

+ sab_krit on January 16th, 2013 at 9:06 am said:

@Hoopjone Why is that so?

+ Welmosca on January 16th, 2013 at 10:26 am said:

@ 518 Hoopjone – You are the only one garbage here…troll.

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 12