Horizon Zero Dawn

Jan 14

PlayStation Plus Update: Become War in Darksiders, Free for Members

Morgan Haro's Avatar Posted by Morgan Haro on Jan 14, 2013 // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

PS Plus members rang in the New Year with NBA JAM: On Fire Edition and Mega Man 9 and 10 for free. This week, we’re bringing you a mix of action and exploration with the original Darksiders. Read on to find out more about this week’s update and remember to use the polls on the right to let us know what you think of this week’s update! Also, if you haven’t already, make sure you check out NBA Jam: On Fire Edition and Mega Man 9 and 10, which are some of the more recent additions to the PlayStation Plus Instant Game Collection.

Don’t have PlayStation Plus? Go to the PlayStation Store on your PS3 or PS Vita or click here to get access.

January 15th PlayStation Plus Update

Darksiders (PS3)

Free for PS Plus members

Take control of War, one of the fabled Horseman of the Apocalypse, and rain down destruction with a combination of brutal attacks and supernatural abilities. Darksiders’ true appeal however isn’t just in its visceral action. With an emphasis on open world traversal and mind-bending dungeons to explore, Darksiders delivers a true adventure, supported by the amazing art styling of comic book art genius Joe Madureira.

PlayStation Plus Update 1-15-2013

Stardrone Extreme

50% off for PS Plus members (Original price: $3.99; PS Plus Price: $2.00)

Don’t miss out on this great deal for the PS Vita charmer Stardrone Extreme. Each level starts by aiming and shooting yourself out of a cannon into outer space. Your spaceship stays in motion from this point on, and it’s your job to attach to nearby gravity beacons to navigate its flight path. While tethered to a beacon, you’ll swing and attempt to circle the beacon until you release and slingshot yourself further. This core mechanic brings together elements of shoot ‘em up, pinball, collecting objects; all in one unique game.

One other note; some of you noticed that inFAMOUS 2 left PlayStation Plus as a free game last week. This was an error and it will be back in the Instant Game Collection on the 1/15 PlayStation Store Update.

Tell us what you think of this week’s update in the comments below and don’t forget to vote by using the links near the top of the post. You can also delve into the PlayStation Community Forums in the PS Plus space to continue chatting about PS Plus, find other great topics to contribute your thoughts to, or start one for yourself. See you in the comments!

PlayStation Plus Update 1-15-2013

PAGE 1 6 7 8 9 10 12

+ tcheloco- on January 14th, 2013 at 11:22 am said:

great deal

+ StupidDirigible on January 14th, 2013 at 11:22 am said:

After having weeks of sports games, that I have had no interest in and other games that were such a let down I was beginning to get extremely worried with plus, with this Addition I say thank you glad to see we get a different style of game which is nice for everyone who doesn’t like the sports games.

+ notblack13 on January 14th, 2013 at 11:23 am said:

I love playstation plus so much, and for 5 dollars a month, I save around 50 bucks. Hey Morgan just wondering, why is the poll private now?

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on January 14th, 2013 at 12:09 pm said:

Because I’d like the feedback in the comments to be focused on the game and content of the announcements, not the poll results. Helps me get better information to the Plus team.

+ DonkeyKongKilla on January 14th, 2013 at 11:23 am said:

Ah i miss read my bad @StE but yeah no plus like @Sab said. so… ??

+ DelMurice on January 14th, 2013 at 11:24 am said:

Great game! I picked it up when it was $9.99 awhile back and played it through a couple times. I not gonna complain because it’s rthe kinda game I would cheer over getting free. Lets see more great games like this :)

Here’s a couple tips, but no spoilers.

Play at the hardest mode, you level much faster and the monster aren’t really harder, there’s just a lot of them.

In the level with the river, there’s a chest that shows up on the map, but it’s a bug, there are other chest there too so still look for them.

Oh one more thing, go to Options and Enter Code, enter “The Hollow Lord” with the caps as it’s case sensitive. You get a nice present to help you with your journey.

+ MatheusRuggeri on January 14th, 2013 at 11:24 am said:

I don’t like RPG, but I loved this Update, we want games like Darksiders, big games, that wins a lot of Gotys, or, at least, have good critics.
Like Uncharted 2, Red Dead, Mortal Kombat (PS3 and Vita), Limbo, Batman Arkham City…

Thanks sony, please, we want more updates like this.

+ StECnet on January 14th, 2013 at 11:24 am said:

At comment 55… wow I’m an idiot my sub expired I thought I still had a full month to go yet I was wrong guess it’s time to get another $50 card and renew!

+ four24twenty on January 14th, 2013 at 11:25 am said:

@DonkeyKongKilla: I was commenting on #13….dude was bummed because he had already purchased Darksiders a couple months ago…you keep the games you purchase.

+ Strike-Snake85 on January 14th, 2013 at 11:25 am said:

Heyyyy PS VITA will get some good game???

+ snakeman07 on January 14th, 2013 at 11:25 am said:

An ok update. I’ll pick up Star Drone for sure.

+ kuki_ar on January 14th, 2013 at 11:26 am said:

Wow Darksiders!!!! great game! Very nice ps plus!

+ FallGuy_3 on January 14th, 2013 at 11:28 am said:

Great update. I’ve been wanting to get Darksiders for a while now.

+ Joe-TFW on January 14th, 2013 at 11:28 am said:

I played this game three years ago when it first came out. Good game, but it is three years old now. No interest in playing through it again. And no significant Vita content again? There are so many PSOne, Minis and PSP games that I would gladly download and enjoy as part of Plus, especially discounted items (I personally prefer deep discounts to free content simply because I can keep it regardless).

And for the PS3 side, Minis, PSOne and even PS2 classics would be a welcome change of pace here. If you’re going to give me old, then give me previous system games as opposed to older retail PS3 games.

Just my preference on this.

+ smoothboarder540 on January 14th, 2013 at 11:29 am said:

Not a bad choice. I don’t usually prefer 3rd person games but I would certainly choose this over another crappy psn game. I would like it if you added more ps1 games to plus. That way the people with vitas get something too. And would you guys please figure out a way to get Crash and Spyro on the vita? I don’t care if I have to buy them again.

+ Conaaando on January 14th, 2013 at 11:29 am said:

Cool! \o/

+ DonkeyKongKilla on January 14th, 2013 at 11:29 am said:

@four24twenty ah i see. you should use the name instead of comment. its #14 now

#13 – currently says

“yeah lets get the positive comments in fast! loved the first darksiders, regret trading it in last year, not anymo! now i can get those pesky last 3 trophies. thanks again for the past year of awesomeness ps+!”

+ four24twenty on January 14th, 2013 at 11:33 am said:

@DonkeyKongKilla: I was waiting for you to bust me on that….way to do your research though, props!

+ afr1234 on January 14th, 2013 at 11:33 am said:

No when we complained, we weren´t being unreasonable at all. People feels ripped of when they get 8 bit games because they feel old and for people like me, they are basically unplayable as i cannot stand the graphics, nor the music. That is the reason, i could not stand retro city rampage or old megaman games, they felt cheap to me. I would have prefered minis or psone classics instead of those and i am sure that a lot of people did not really enjoyed them either (as you can see in the comment section with all of the complaining).

+ freakinerd on January 14th, 2013 at 11:34 am said:

I just beat this game a couple months a go, and beat Darksiders 2 last week, would play this again.

+ gokugt25 on January 14th, 2013 at 11:34 am said:

+ AguilarX on January 14th, 2013 at 11:35 am said:

Im only giving this post 5 stars because darksiders is one of the best games I have platinumed. Im glad everyone who hasnt will get to play this zeldaesque action platformer. still going through darksiders 2 but just hope vigil gets bought by Sony or someone else so I can play Darksiders 3/4.

+ Aexuz on January 14th, 2013 at 11:36 am said:

Nothing for Vita this week?

+ juanfMM on January 14th, 2013 at 11:36 am said:

Morgan thank you so much!!! :)

+ stalemate666 on January 14th, 2013 at 11:36 am said:

Yay finally something that isn’t a shooter or fighting game lol.

I hope you don’t fall into the same trap though and just give us action/adventures for the next 6 months, hopefully we can get ps1/ps2 rpgs and games like twisted metal in the semi near future.

+ vanwinkle on January 14th, 2013 at 11:37 am said:

Plus remains fantastic for PS3 owners and utterly miserable for Vita owners. Vita has had one good week. The first one. That’s it. PS3 has had far more than I can even count.

+ YungShep on January 14th, 2013 at 11:37 am said:

the only problem i have with this. i bought it right before Darksiders II came out. last year. either way, if you like Zelda on that other system, you’ll enjoy this.

+ Major_Hoare on January 14th, 2013 at 11:37 am said:

Great job Morgan and company!! I’m happy this week. Darksiders FTW.

+ DanteMerfi on January 14th, 2013 at 11:37 am said:

Great job this week. It makes me start having faith in + again.

+ lisatsunami on January 14th, 2013 at 11:38 am said:

Great start to the new year for PS Plus, thanks. Darksiders: adding one more log to my daunting backlog.

+ DonkeyKongKilla on January 14th, 2013 at 11:38 am said:

@four24twenty – thank you, honest mistake on my comment but I really thought you were being sarcastic.

+ Kilo_Prime on January 14th, 2013 at 11:39 am said:

Morgan, you just made my January!

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on January 14th, 2013 at 12:11 pm said:

Great! I’ll make sure to pass it along to the Plus team as Darksiders seems to be a popular title with this section of the PS community this week =)

+ dcrock80 on January 14th, 2013 at 11:40 am said:

Where are the ps vita games? Like someone already said i’d even take some psp games. If there are going to be ps3 game updates there should always be some ps vita stuff also no matter what kind of games.

+ Ghostwize on January 14th, 2013 at 11:41 am said:

@45 Ryumoau

Doesn’t appear the need to this week. It’s generally a pretty hateful place in here with people such as yourself flooding it with negativity. :D Cheers! Darksiders is a fantastic game btw! Got all of the achievements for it when I played it on the 360!

+ Wylde_Pwner on January 14th, 2013 at 11:42 am said:

I’ve been very disappointed in Plus recently, but this is a good update. I played a few hours of Darksiders back when it first came out but I didn’t get a chance to finish it. It was a good game though, so I’m happy with this update. You’re on the right track. Hopefully we see an RPG soon though, I remember the polls showing that the majority of people wanted RPGs. I know that takes time though as you guys have some updates prepared in advance.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on January 14th, 2013 at 12:13 pm said:

I’ve officially passed along the recommendation for more RPGs, however, you’re exactly right in that feedback takes time to implement; and that there are other factors involved when making selections for Plus. But by and large, we want to get you guys games that you’ll love.

+ Anddo on January 14th, 2013 at 11:43 am said:

Darksiders nice!

+ dushielfcito on January 14th, 2013 at 11:45 am said:

finally a ps3 game this year!!! I didnt like the demo… ill give it a try to the complete version…

+ zidane40o0 on January 14th, 2013 at 11:45 am said:

Alright, this is good news, we are finally starting to see some decent games here, i hope NA PS+ gets back on its feet, not saying that the past updates were horrible, but they were average at best, however i can’t deny that i am in strange love with SSIVAE, never expected to like it though.

+ YungShep on January 14th, 2013 at 11:45 am said:

this again proves i need to take a back seat in purchasing games so rapidly…ps plus continues to make me regret buying games i could of got for free.

+ HappyJTheClown on January 14th, 2013 at 11:46 am said:

I have a couple of ideas here. Playstation Plus is great, I enjoy at least 9/10ths of what is released here. I think you should have an app that one could use to reactivate all content aquired through plus, when you have a bunch of games, and not always connected to the internet, it can be a pain when you go to play a game that wasn’t reactivated. Also, some kids games, like toy story for instance would be great considering my kids would love that. And lastly people stop complaining, Plus is for everyone, it is not catered to your individual tastes, there are people out there who do enjoy content that you do not.

+ YungShep on January 14th, 2013 at 11:46 am said:

@106 dont hold your breath, lol. it could be good this week and then next week a ps mini, lol. so fingers crossed we dont go through another drought..

+ RustyBladez on January 14th, 2013 at 11:46 am said:

Bring ps2 Classics to the vita allready. why not? Cause it will save the handheld thats dying from no Dev support? |Rockstars not gonna make a GTA vita game if they can only sell 1 mill copies at most, and thats if EVERY vita owner bought one. PS2 support= more sales. ps one support = who the hell cares? When was the last time you heard someone say- ” oh man, remember the sweet graphics on PS one?” Put PS2 Games on the vita, or mines getting pawned just like every other person i know who bought one. No PS3 controller support, no Cross play other than 5 games NO ONE plays. n dont even mention “super smash Playstation stars”. Before the vita came out all you ever heard was how fantastic its going to be, functions like a controller, pick up ps3 games where you left off on the go! and ive seen nothing other than controller support for LPB almost a year after vita release!! thats a fail, thats a big ol fail.

+ KrisButtar on January 14th, 2013 at 11:46 am said:

i will be grabbing darksiders, thanks

+ USRevenge2 on January 14th, 2013 at 11:46 am said:

Darksiders 1 is valued at about $5 but still it’s great to get a good game for free thank you PSN+

+ TBreit on January 14th, 2013 at 11:48 am said:

I’m glad we are finally getting some good games! Too bad I already have this from the Humble THQ Bundle, but I will still be downloading it for PS3 as well since it is such a great game.
Good job guys!

+ El_Pollo_CA on January 14th, 2013 at 11:49 am said:

I missed the sale on this about a year back….wooohooo, Thanks guy’s….

+ GT-420 on January 14th, 2013 at 11:50 am said:

Wow – see how much more positive the mood on this blog is when the + free game is actually decent and one that got great reviews and is an Action game rather than a sports or fighting game?

I won’t even mention how EU got this over a year ago or that it’s a pretty old game now. Whoops, couldn’t help myself. Imagine how this place would have exploded with praise if you gave out Batman Arkham CITY (not Asylum) or gasp, Dishonored.

But I’ll be dl’ing this one for sure.

+ DarkDuckJustice on January 14th, 2013 at 11:53 am said:

Awesome Update! I just grabbed this game over the holiday for $10, but it’s one I asked PS Plus for a several months ago… which means I felt obligated to vote Darksiders as my favorite part of the update today. I really enjoy my PS Plus account, but I do agree with some of the grumblings that it’s been slightly weaker the last few months. That being said, I’m one of the few who hadn’t played Bioshock 2 yet, which is now one of my favorite games. So I still feel like I’m getting way more than what I paid for your service. I think this week is definitely a step in the right direction. Keep it up! I’m always excited to see what’s coming.

+ Dragonslayer_023 on January 14th, 2013 at 11:53 am said:

Excellent update this week. I’ve wanted to try Darksiders for a while and for two bucks I’ll give Stardrone a shot.

+ DarkDuckJustice on January 14th, 2013 at 11:54 am said:

Just to throw my two cents in on the debate over weekly over monthly, I’d prefer to see an overview of the month with weekly check-ins. I also like getting a chance to play games I’ve missed and probably won’t really end up buying (unless they’re in the bargain bin like Darksiders). Could we get some of the HD collections on Plus? I would love to see the Sly Copper and Ratchet and Clank collections. The PS3 is my first Playstation, though I did have a PSP, so PS2 classics are completely new games to me. I keep thinking of picking up Okami HD, but I patient enough to wait for it to go on sale. My last request has nothing to do with Plus, I just want it. Veiwtiful Joe 1 & 2 HD Collection! (Yes, I’m one of the few who loved my Gamecube!) Or in other words… “Henshin-a-go-go, baby!”

+ whyaskdouknow on January 14th, 2013 at 11:56 am said:

@115 i would even like Asylum
darksiders is ok still mad EU gets better stuff but i think its because in america we buy more games in the first place

PAGE 1 6 7 8 9 10 12