PlayStation Music

Jan 14

PlayStation Plus Update: Become War in Darksiders, Free for Members

Morgan Haro's Avatar Posted by Morgan Haro on Jan 14, 2013 // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

PS Plus members rang in the New Year with NBA JAM: On Fire Edition and Mega Man 9 and 10 for free. This week, we’re bringing you a mix of action and exploration with the original Darksiders. Read on to find out more about this week’s update and remember to use the polls on the right to let us know what you think of this week’s update! Also, if you haven’t already, make sure you check out NBA Jam: On Fire Edition and Mega Man 9 and 10, which are some of the more recent additions to the PlayStation Plus Instant Game Collection.

Don’t have PlayStation Plus? Go to the PlayStation Store on your PS3 or PS Vita or click here to get access.

January 15th PlayStation Plus Update

Darksiders (PS3)

Free for PS Plus members

Take control of War, one of the fabled Horseman of the Apocalypse, and rain down destruction with a combination of brutal attacks and supernatural abilities. Darksiders’ true appeal however isn’t just in its visceral action. With an emphasis on open world traversal and mind-bending dungeons to explore, Darksiders delivers a true adventure, supported by the amazing art styling of comic book art genius Joe Madureira.

PlayStation Plus Update 1-15-2013

Stardrone Extreme

50% off for PS Plus members (Original price: $3.99; PS Plus Price: $2.00)

Don’t miss out on this great deal for the PS Vita charmer Stardrone Extreme. Each level starts by aiming and shooting yourself out of a cannon into outer space. Your spaceship stays in motion from this point on, and it’s your job to attach to nearby gravity beacons to navigate its flight path. While tethered to a beacon, you’ll swing and attempt to circle the beacon until you release and slingshot yourself further. This core mechanic brings together elements of shoot ‘em up, pinball, collecting objects; all in one unique game.

One other note; some of you noticed that inFAMOUS 2 left PlayStation Plus as a free game last week. This was an error and it will be back in the Instant Game Collection on the 1/15 PlayStation Store Update.

Tell us what you think of this week’s update in the comments below and don’t forget to vote by using the links near the top of the post. You can also delve into the PlayStation Community Forums in the PS Plus space to continue chatting about PS Plus, find other great topics to contribute your thoughts to, or start one for yourself. See you in the comments!

PlayStation Plus Update 1-15-2013

PAGE 1 7 8 9 10 11 12

+ myPSismyfriend on January 14th, 2013 at 11:56 am said:

nice update, is there any news on making monthly updates?

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on January 14th, 2013 at 12:15 pm said:

We’re looking closely at the format now, but no news to share at this time.

+ terminode on January 14th, 2013 at 11:56 am said:

Instead of complaining, I’ll instead outline the kind of content that I would be thrilled to see from Plus and, more importantly, that Plus could realistically offer:

1. Recent/new PSN games. There’s no chance of anyone already having a game if it has just been released, so the appeal is pretty universal.

2. Games that are enticing enough to be worth a download but not enough to buy outright. This category includes many so-called AA games. A few good examples of this are Operation Raccoon City, Binary Domain (you guys already have a pretty good arrangement with Sega, right? Please try to get this), and Lollipop Chainsaw.

3. Games that went overlooked upon release. How many people bought White Knight Chronicles 2? Folklore? Hell, you guys own Folklore. It’s yours to give at any time. With the polls indicating a heavy interest in RPGs, I really hope you guys take a look back at some of the games you have in your IP stable. Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom is another Sony RPG that many people might not even know exists, let alone own.

+ snakeeyes211 on January 14th, 2013 at 11:57 am said:

Can you please provide us next week with a discount on unfinished Swan ;-) thanks

+ OvertechBroch on January 14th, 2013 at 11:57 am said:

This is a great pick after December was a pretty weak month for free games. Will make time to play this after Ni no Kuni.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on January 14th, 2013 at 12:15 pm said:

can’t wait to play that one =)

+ DonkeyKongKilla on January 14th, 2013 at 11:58 am said:

@StupidDirigible – weeks of sports game?.. really…. I’ve seen two on my list spread apart on here sense I’ve been a member in Oct. and I don’t even know when they gave out NFL blitz. but weeks you say?… ha ha ha ha ha.

@ StECnet – everyone makes mistakes.

+ Ytrio on January 14th, 2013 at 11:59 am said:

thanks, you have made my day :D

+ Mattotastic on January 14th, 2013 at 11:59 am said:

Great, I’ll be glad to pick up Darksiders.

Good update, although I was hoping for some decent discounts to come to Plus. Ah well.

+ RustyBladez on January 14th, 2013 at 11:59 am said:

Jebus i shouldve set up an EU Ps PLus account.

+ MickeyWard09 on January 14th, 2013 at 11:59 am said:

Fantastic! For the last couple of weeks I’ve been hunting for a copy of Darksiders at my local game stores, but came up short. It’s like you read my mind. My only regret about PlayStation Plus is that I waited until December to join. Keep up the good work!

+ whatisdelicious on January 14th, 2013 at 12:01 pm said:

This is a cool update. More people should play Darksiders.

+ DonkeyKongKilla on January 14th, 2013 at 12:03 pm said:

@terminode – ehhh… #1 is ideal, but if it’s just released that’s where a title would make the most profit from it. then people would be mad because they bought it before it came out on plus. just like how many were made to buy a game recently on discount then a couple weeks later it was free I heard.

Overall, Plus needs to be more organized.

+ RE4LNOiZE_42 on January 14th, 2013 at 12:04 pm said:

Nice PS+ content this week. Although I already got Darksiders on my PC, it’s nice to see Sony actually giving something people seems interested in.

The only thing lacking now, is some Vita content. Sure, 2$ for Star Drone Extreme on Vita is nice, and I’ll surely get it, but considering Sony is sitting on a huge PSP and PS1 library that can play on PS3 and Vita (and PSP too), it is almost a crime to not see them giving a little bit more to all of those loyal followers. Even if it’s just a single PS1 title, it would actually make it look like they care, and be better than nothing.

Even some huge special sale might be nice. You know, like a ton of PSP or PS1 games on sale. 50% off for plus users. Most of PS1 games being around 5$, at 2,50$, surely many people will get a few of them.

Awesome for Darksiders. But as always, Vita owners seems to not get much.

+ BlueBl1zzard on January 14th, 2013 at 12:07 pm said:

Wow, Darksiders? I didn’t see that one coming! Wait, this AND little to no negative comments!? With this and Wake Up Club coming to Vita tomorrow, this is shaping up to be a pretty good week.

Thanks Morgan and team!

P.S. God of War Ascension beta is pretty cool too, I advise anyone who thinks it was some tacked-on last-minute thing to try it out.

+ terrencec06 on January 14th, 2013 at 12:08 pm said:

This is what I am talking about…. I almost bought this. Good One Guys. This is what we want.

+ YungShep on January 14th, 2013 at 12:08 pm said:

@131 what do you mean as always. Vita just went plus less then 2 months ago, and it started off with 6 full length games…

+ mslorenzoni on January 14th, 2013 at 12:11 pm said:

Cool! But I dont own a PS3 =/

Nothing for Vita again?

+ boomstickbhg on January 14th, 2013 at 12:13 pm said:

So another really old game?

Another game that’s only about 10$ to buy brand new in most stores I’ve seen it.

Another game I’ve owned for a long time.

So have you just given up on Plus being a good service entirely at this point?

I’ve certainly given up hope that Plus will ever be as good as it was before the IGC rentals.

You can’t even begin to compare to Plus for other regions (yeah yeah EU is different etc… doesn’t change the fact that they get MUCH MUCH NEWER GAMES for IGC and MUCH MUCH HIGHER DISCOUNTS on games and add-ons and MORE SALES IN GENERAL).

Oh this was posted by Morgan, that explains the lack of quality.

+ Ghostwize on January 14th, 2013 at 12:14 pm said:

Vita was given 6 games in the first week. Pretty much got a game a week except this one since it came out. That’s like 30% of the catalogue lol.

Clearly there needs to be more Vita games made! :D

+ Hayterfan on January 14th, 2013 at 12:14 pm said:

@ Morgan Haro
Who do I contact about the Playstation 3D Display, I know this is the wrong place to bring it up, but Id like to try and find out the cause of a issue im having with mine, and maybe send it to Sony before my warranty expires to fix it if need be

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on January 14th, 2013 at 12:17 pm said:

Your best bet is to contact PlayStation Customer Service to see if they can advise. I’m not sure if a possible fix would be executed by PlayStation CS or the wider Sony CS, but that would be my recommondation

PHONE 800-345-SONY
    Mon – Sun 6:00AM – 10:00PM Pacific

+ BlueBl1zzard on January 14th, 2013 at 12:14 pm said:

@ RE4LNOiZE_42 I agree. I don’t know what all goes into setting up a sale, but I, and I’m sure many others, would like to see a price drop for some of the PSP games on the store. Soul Calibur Broken Destiny is still $39.99 for example and I got the game almost 3 years ago.

+ Kchow23 on January 14th, 2013 at 12:15 pm said:

While I am happy that we finally get a full PS3 game again, Darksiders is a rather old game.. I have already platinum’d it, so I am glad that at least PS Plus members will be able to check it out and may consider getting Darksiders 2.

+ markos_silvano on January 14th, 2013 at 12:17 pm said:

Great news!

Darksiders is a really good addition to the PS+ games collection.

Thanks PS+ team!

+ Volcomkewl on January 14th, 2013 at 12:17 pm said:

Morgan & Crew,

Thanks for this awesome update guys! I was going to borrow this from my friend but now i can play i without having to borrow it!

I just re-newed by playstation plus last december on my birthday, and haven’t regretted it since! You guys are awesome and really give us great deals and other awesome goodies.
Playstation will always be the leading console!

+ megacarlos on January 14th, 2013 at 12:18 pm said:

Darksiders bored me to tears who chooses these games and im ok with vita content since there arent many games atleast discounts would be nice how about dungeon hunter for vita 29.99 is steep wow I havent been happy about the service since vita ps+ launch now im dissapointed ive had plus since day one and am not liking where this is headed.

+ nikrel on January 14th, 2013 at 12:19 pm said:

Can we get Skyrim or Guardians of Middle Earth please?

+ PainOfSarrow on January 14th, 2013 at 12:19 pm said:

well its nice to see the post stats actualy high this time. as for me personaly. Nothing, i reather get the disc version of this.

+ khaledseif1 on January 14th, 2013 at 12:19 pm said:

Great game even though i already own it.

+ DarkOne_PR on January 14th, 2013 at 12:19 pm said:

very good I shall get both! :)

+ PainOfSarrow on January 14th, 2013 at 12:19 pm said:

i hope there are good psn game sales again. the 1 $ games was greattt last tuesday.

+ DarkDuckJustice on January 14th, 2013 at 12:19 pm said:

In response to terminode’s Posts 121, Bayonetta would be a cool game for Plus too. Never played it, heard its good, but I will probably never buy it since I have too many games to save up for this year. I was wondering if Resistance 1 & 2 will ever find a place here as well. I loved the third installment, but the first two somehow flew under my radar.

+ purse317 on January 14th, 2013 at 12:22 pm said:

Playstation blog staff take note how those of us who usually complain about our plus membership are rejoicing and happy. It’s not because it’s a new year or college is starting up again.

It’s the game we got this week.

Now one thing worth looking into is discounts particularly on pre-orders you guys have in the store what’s my incentive for buying the game early online. No midnight activation no small discount I’m better off picking it up on my way home from work and stil playing it before the store updates. That’s something that needs fixing guys.

Lastly you guys might wanna try using plus to get Vita sales moving along drop some psp classics on us make a Vita a must own for a plus member.

+ Kchow23 on January 14th, 2013 at 12:24 pm said:

I would love to see Saints Row 3 next if we might be stuck with THQ games for a little bit. Again, is there any possibility that a secondary account can ever upgrade to a master account?

+ tayfinch on January 14th, 2013 at 12:26 pm said:

This is amazing. Thank you, Sony!

+ LanerGT on January 14th, 2013 at 12:27 pm said:

Bah… got tired of waiting for Darksiders to come to US PS+ (after being available on EU PS+ long ago), so I bought it for my 360 when it went to $10 a week or so back on the XBL store.

+ xBraiNshOcK on January 14th, 2013 at 12:28 pm said:

Very nice update, thanks Morgan. Pass my thanks to the entire team and keep up the great work.

+ blakseed on January 14th, 2013 at 12:28 pm said:

I bought Darksiders when it first came out. It’s is as long as an rpg and it’s a pretty good hack and slasher. with some pretty clever puzzles thrown in.

+ hrcrowley on January 14th, 2013 at 12:29 pm said:

Fantastic! For some reason this title just kept slipping through my fingers when I was looking for a new game for the past little while (I blame my HGA), but nay (!) I shall finally storm the hordes of Heaven and Hell…or whatever the game holds. Be lovin’ this week! Thanks Morgan/Sony!!!

+ PatricioUSA on January 14th, 2013 at 12:29 pm said:

I already own the game on disc but, this is finally, after over 1 months of updates, finally a good one.

+ tayfinch on January 14th, 2013 at 12:29 pm said:

PS: Thanks, Morgan, for always reading/responding so thoroughly to comments!

+ lidington_ on January 14th, 2013 at 12:30 pm said:

Thank you, Morgan!

+ boomstickbhg on January 14th, 2013 at 12:31 pm said:

We almost never get discounts anymore, discount were one of the main reason I and many other signed up for Plus YEARS AGO, this IGC switch has been really terrible for older, loyal customers who’ve been spending money on the PS3 since launch.

If for some reason NA just will never have IGC games as good as the EU (new not old, games not from the 5-10 dollar discount bin at stores, etc…) can we at least get Discounts back?

The few ~10% discounts we get nowadays don’t justify the price of Plus anymore. We use to get 25% or more off. There were also more sales on Add-ons, the EU also still has sales on Add-ons. We almost never do.

Can there be a seperate version of Plus to sign up for that’s just based on Discounts?

The EU get’s huge discounts on games (yes they pay more to start with, but that doesn’t change the fact they got upwards of 66% off AAA games at xmas.)..

If we don’t get to be treated as well as the other regions, than do the Sony thing and charge us for another service to get the discounts that we use to, and the rest of the world still does.

+ Moofboy on January 14th, 2013 at 12:32 pm said:

Great update! Looks like a satisfying update for the majority too! I guess the genre poll panned out! Thanks guys!

+ PsychoticUsagi on January 14th, 2013 at 12:34 pm said:

Better late than never I guess… even though we had to wait until THQ went bankrupt for SCEA to strike a deal they were happy with. lol

I ended up getting this for PC since it didn’t seem like we’d be getting it, plus the THQ Collection was the obvious must have on the holiday Steam sale if you didn’t have too many of their games. :P

Still nice a nice for people who don’t own a decent PC though. =]

+ sab_krit on January 14th, 2013 at 12:36 pm said:

@153 YAY good for u, now u can dl it on PS3 and get trophies.

+ Malkzin on January 14th, 2013 at 12:37 pm said:

Finally a good update ! This month we have a new game of PSP for vita?

My ideas :

Crisis Core
Dissidia 012
Monster Hunter
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection
Lord of Arcana
Yggdra Union

+ xandn on January 14th, 2013 at 12:39 pm said:

Darksiders always looked like a fun game, glad I get to play it now. Also nice to see positive comments on this post (minus the usual whiners, of course).

+ Blind-Lunacy on January 14th, 2013 at 12:39 pm said:

DARKSIDERS!!!! YESSSS!!!! wooooo thanks Guys.. i been wanting to play this for sometime now.

+ kezins on January 14th, 2013 at 12:39 pm said:

Finally something I’m happy about. PS+ has been pretty lame for a couple months, so this is great news.

+ sab_krit on January 14th, 2013 at 12:41 pm said:

@xandn Thank the Whiners!! Cuz of them whining, u get this update else u would hv got a GTA 1 or GTA 2 this week :P

+ dcrock80 on January 14th, 2013 at 12:42 pm said:

Totally agree. We should at least get some top rated psp games every month for the Vita. I think that’s a good suggestion. Don’t you think so Morgan?

PAGE 1 7 8 9 10 11 12