The Last Guardian

Jan 18

Skyrim Add-Ons Land on PS3 in February, 50% off for One Week

Matt Grandstaff's Avatar Posted by Matt Grandstaff on Jan 18, 2013 // Global Community Lead, Bethesda Softworks

Today we’re excited to announce that, next month, we’ll be releasing all of Skyrim’s add-on content on PlayStation Store. The 1.8 title update will also release just prior to the launch of Dragonborn. We’ll keep you posted as release dates get finalized both on our end and with Sony for each and its various languages. Last but not least, each add-on will be 50% off during its launch week on PSN.

Ready to learn more about the content you’ll be playing? Here’s a quick overview:

Skyrim: Dragonborn

In Dragonborn, you’ll journey off the coast of Morrowind, to the island of Solstheim. Encounter new towns, dungeons, and quests, as you traverse the ash wastes and glacial valleys of this new land. Become more powerful with shouts that bend the will of your enemies, and even tame dragons. Your fate, and the fate of Solstheim, hangs in the balance as you face off against your deadliest adversary – the first Dragonborn.

• Explore Beyond Skyrim – Leave the province of Skyrim and travel to the coastal island of Solstheim. Encounter the Dark Elven settlers of Raven Rock and the native Skaal, as you unravel the mystery of a Dragonborn’s return.
  • Become the Ultimate Dragonborn – Harness the power of the Voice as you face off against the first Dragonborn. Wield new shouts and spells including Dragon Aspect – allowing you to summon the inner power of a dragon to deliver colossal blows and strengthen other shouts.
  • New Powers – Discover dark powers as you journey into a new Daedric realm. Collect books of forbidden knowledge and choose new paths for your skills and abilities.
  • New dungeons, creatures, weapons, and more – Suit up in Bonemold and Chitin armors and wield Stalhrim weapons as you navigate through a myriad of dungeons. Battle formidable foes like Ash Spawn, Rieklings, and more.

Skyrim: Hearthfire

In Hearthfire, you can purchase land and build your own home from the ground up – from a simple one-room cottage to a sprawling compound complete with an armory, alchemy laboratory, stable, garden, and more. Use all-new tools like the drafting table and carpenter’s workbench to transform quarried stone, clay, and sawn logs into structures and furnishings. Even transform your house into a home by adopting children.

• Choose Your Land – Choose from property in the salt marshes of Hjaalmarch, the forests of Falkreath, or the vast tundra of The Pale. For the more ambitious landowner, purchase multiple plots and start building a real estate empire.
  • Customize Your Home – Expand your home with a variety of room combinations including an armory, alchemy tower, kitchen, trophy room and more. Grow plants in your new greenhouse, cultivate slaughterfish in the fish hatchery, house your Arcane Enchanter in the enchanting tower, or display your latest conquest in the trophy room. Add additional features like stables, mills, smelters, gardens and more.
  • New Objectives and Interactions – Guard your home from unwanted visitors like marauding kidnappers, armed bandits, and skeever infestations. Turn almost any follower into your personal steward to improve and protect your home. Or if you require more help, hire a personal bard or carriage driver to ease the burdens of home ownership.
  • Adoption – Transform your house into a home with Hearthfire’s all-new adoption system. Adopt children and discover new ways to interact with your family. Play games with the kids, allow them to have pets and gain new bonuses from having a family.

Skyrim: Dawnguard

In Dawnguard, you’ll face the Vampire Lord Harkon, who has returned to power. By using the Elder Scrolls, he seeks to do the unthinkable — end the sun itself. Will you join the ancient order of the Dawnguard and stop him? Or will you become a Vampire Lord yourself? Featuring an all new faction questline and locations, the ultimate choice will be yours.

• New Weapons, Armor, Spells and Shouts – Join the Dawnguard and wield all new crossbows and craft your own arrows, bolts, and Dragonbone weapons. Use new weapons, armor, spells and shouts, including the Soul Tear shout – that rips the souls from your enemies and turns them into your minions.
  • Become a Vampire Lord – Side with the vampires and become a Vampire Lord yourself. Hover across the ground, turn yourself into bats, levitate your enemies as you drain their life, and more. The Vampire Lord features its own upgradable perk system.
  • Werewolf Perks added – Playing as a werewolf now has its own upgradable perk system including Bestial Strength, Animal Vigor, and Savage Feeding.
  • New Locations and Creatures – Choose from two new fortresses to upgrade and call home, Castle Volkihar or Fort Dawnguard. Discover lost valleys and travel to a new realm of Oblivion, the Soul Cairn. Battle new creatures including Death Hounds, Gargoyles, Armored Trolls, and all new vampires and dragons.

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Ivan9908 on January 18th, 2013 at 10:40 pm said:

I heard that it comes out in Feburary 5th 2013. By the way, when I heard this I’m so happy!! It comes out 3 days before my birthday!! Finally they bring them all back. :D

+ SuperCycle on January 18th, 2013 at 10:43 pm said:

This discounted price actually concerns me quite a bit. I am somewhat pessimistic these days when is comes to the quality of Bethesda games on the Playstation 3 system. Initially the discount feels a bit like a make good for the long delays and the game bugs that we have encountered.
However when I play my copy of Fallout 3 GOTY edition, whenever I get to any of the DLC my game always suffers horrible game crashing bugs that drive me bonkers. I am of the opinion that Bethesda released the Fallout 3 DLC for the PS3 and then just sort of decided to close up shop on the support for the game that needed to be properly fixed.
My concern is that Bethesda is offering a discount on the Skyrim DLC for only a week, is to push as many purchases as it can out the door before we all realize that the game is even worse now with the extra content than it was before, and then they will officially close up support on Skyrim on the PS3 and move onto other products.
Why such a short time on the discount? Why can’t you offer it for a month so we can wait, see reviews, have people come up with a consensus as to whether or not this is worth the purchase?

Matt Grandstaff's Avatar

+ Matt Grandstaff on January 19th, 2013 at 8:35 pm said:

I don’t have the specifics on the length of the sale, but because you guys have waited so long for this content, we wanted to offer them at a discounted price.

In terms of how how the content plays, our team has been working very hard to make sure you can have the best possible experience with all three.

Thanks for the note.

+ TriangleOffense on January 18th, 2013 at 10:45 pm said:

@27 this is Bethesda were talking about

Sorry but too little too late for me. 8 months ago I might have cared, or maybe if after 7 years Bethesda knew how to develop for my console of choice I might have cared. I loved skyrim but the fact that I got it free and had nothing else to play were major factors in that. Im passing on these but hey thanks for the discount for a week after people have waited 6 months for the dlc. way to be generous guys, good job

+ NickMulder on January 18th, 2013 at 11:45 pm said:

Personally, I’m amped about playing these as I haven’t even TOUCHED Skyrim yet (even though I pre-ordered it and have had it since day one) because of being told about bug issues and of course the lack of dlc. However, I’m really excited to finally get the dlc and will be buying them asap. But a lot of people are going to be really pissed about this sale only lasting one week. Some people won’t be able to buy it in that time due to timing of paydays. This should be for a month if you ask me. Works for me but it won’t for many others. Nonetheless, thanks for getting this to us! Looking forward to it!

+ Maniac169 on January 18th, 2013 at 11:47 pm said:

Finally by the gods!!!!

+ JROD0823 on January 18th, 2013 at 11:56 pm said:

With Bethesda having had just as much time to learn how to code software for the PS3 as other developers, the experiences we in the PlayStation community have had to endure with the Skyrim fiasco is 100% unacceptable and downright shameful.

A game with so many flaws should have been held for 6 months to a year to ensure that the product being released was of the proper quality that we rightfully deserve. The blame without a shadow of a doubt falls squarely on Bethesda’s shoulders due to their sheer ineptitude at performing their job at the most basic of levels.

Here’s a suggestion to Bethesda: Why don’t you develop your next title on the PlayStation system first and get it running like clockwork instead of trying to port garbage code to our system?

I will buy a GOTY disc of Skyrim once it is priced below $20, and will never buy a Bethesda developed game day one again.

+ c0nn0r_pwns_u on January 18th, 2013 at 11:59 pm said:

Well, I feel like Bethesda needs to hear my opinion on all of this.
I will not be getting these DLC packs, even with the price cuts. Why? Skyrim came out in late 2011. I sold my copy about 4 months ago (clocked 160+ hours) because there wasn’t enough new content to keep me playing. I instead started playing at my friends house. He owns an Xbox 360 and had the DLC, ON TIME, and it ran great.

So on top of the no DLC for this long, we were also treated to a severely buggy version of Skyrim on our Ps3’s. This problem also goes back to Fallout 3 and Oblivion, both of which played better on the 360.

It’s not the console’s fault however, it’s Bethesda’s. Honestly, how can you excuse sheer developer laziness? How can you call yourself great? If developers like Sony Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, and Thatgamecompany can maximize the Ps3’s potential, why can’t you? EXCUSABLE.

Unfortunately for me, I still bought the game, and had a blast. Even with the many bugs, Skyrim was my 2011 GOTY on Ps3. It’s a shame. Such talented people could, and should do much better.

+ KrazE94 on January 19th, 2013 at 12:20 am said:

Will there be a digital downloadable PS3 version of vanilla Skyrim in the Playstation Store in the future? Or is it also going to be released alongside the DLCs?

Matt Grandstaff's Avatar

+ Matt Grandstaff on January 19th, 2013 at 8:26 pm said:

There’s currently no announced plans for that. If that changes, we’ll update everybody.

+ Kchow23 on January 19th, 2013 at 2:44 am said:

Great to see the discount for those that still play Skyrim on PS3! I passed on this game due to the magnitude of issues that I have heard from friends who have bought it. Would be amazing if a relatively bug free version came to PS Vita but that probably won’t happen.

+ TWODEEEE on January 19th, 2013 at 3:01 am said:

F*** YESSS!!!!!! im so glad i kept my copy for this long because my little brother loves it, now i get all 3 dlcs for 30 bucks, hopefully the other 2 dlcs after wont take as long

Matt Grandstaff's Avatar

+ Matt Grandstaff on January 19th, 2013 at 8:36 pm said:

Closer to $25 if you get them all during the first week. Hearthfire’s regular price is $4.99.

+ Ryuhza on January 19th, 2013 at 3:22 am said:

Dawnguard: $20.00 >50% off> $10.00

Dragonborn: $20.00 >50% off> $10.00

Hearthfire: $5.00 >50% off> $2.50

Total: $45.00 >50% off> $22.50

+ KnightRid on January 19th, 2013 at 3:52 am said:

Like most others, I will be skipping these due to the horrible crashes, which are even worse in Fallout New Vegas than Skyrim I think. It’s sad to spend so much money on games and have a studio basically flip you the bird and make you deal with the bugs without ever fixing them.

Maybe if a GOTY or Ultimate edition comes out with all the dlc’s and FIXES THE BUGS I may buy it but for now I love playing Fallout and Skyrim but it is too frustrating to keep shelling out money so I can have massive crashes.

+ daveyr41 on January 19th, 2013 at 5:33 am said:

I just came

+ Ax_Man17 on January 19th, 2013 at 6:06 am said:

hey what about add ons sale for fall out 3?

Matt Grandstaff's Avatar

+ Matt Grandstaff on January 19th, 2013 at 8:26 pm said:

It’s possible we’ll do another sale on Fallout 3 content.

+ wocyob on January 19th, 2013 at 6:15 am said:

boo Ill be passing on this like the rest of your games. For such a huge company you guys really did a crummy job for the ps3 version of the game. One week 50% off sale thats insulting. The least you could have giving people Hearthfire for free and a 5-10 dollars off the other 2 dlcs for at least a few months. Next time if you dont know what your doing with a system take the extra time to learn it or dont bother with it at all. Shame

+ Zerocaps on January 19th, 2013 at 6:38 am said:

Yeah I think Ill pass on this. What a joke of a sale. Dont be fooled my fellow ps3 gamers these will most def be broken.

+ Christian399 on January 19th, 2013 at 6:46 am said:

@46 I agree. I would rather wait for A.) a GoTY edition or B.) A digital version for the faster loading times.

Have Skyrim on the PC too and while it looks infinitely better, I’m about 1/2 way through the trophy set on Skyrim on the PS3 :)

So yes, when can we expect a digital version?

And for the people whining about bugs, its as if you’ve never played a Bethesda game before. That’s how these games are made and why people like them, warts and all.

+ Technatorium on January 19th, 2013 at 7:15 am said:

Since I got the game for PS3 as a gift and I prolly will buy the dlc on discount. I normally would wait for a GOTY or complete edition but in this case I may change my pattern.

+ Ghost-of-SpartaX on January 19th, 2013 at 7:59 am said:

im waiting for game of the year edition of Skyrim. just saying

+ webran on January 19th, 2013 at 8:02 am said:

To late. Already moved all my Bethesda titles to xbox. I prefer playstation for everything else, however after bethesda announced that fallout new vegas will never work right on ps3 i’m not taking a chance at wasting another hundred dollars (collector’s edition and dlc) on a game that doesn’t work. You guys are going to love the dlc. I definitely prefer my playstation controller and there is something that just feels better about the system it’s self. Unfortunately, until certain companies lean to make engines that work well on ps3 or sony corrects it’s very poor dedicated memory decisions I am for to be a two system household.

+ taichien on January 19th, 2013 at 8:10 am said:

I loved Skyrim and didnt have any major issues with the game but this took too long. I dont like being treated like a second class citizen. If I run out and buy this how will they learn they need to support their customers better. I wont be buy the DLC and I hope many others dont as well.

+ lemebee on January 19th, 2013 at 8:10 am said:

@Ryuhza We can only hope dude.I just hope that they don’t price it like shivering isles,cause then I’d feel sad even with the discount.Please sony.

+ DigiOps on January 19th, 2013 at 8:24 am said:

While I share the “its about f’in time” feeling… Is the DLC stable? While I don’t wholly blame the software for it, but my fat PS3 YLOD’d playing Skyrim… That thing ran pretty dang hot before it gave up on me. Hopefully within the first week someone will be able to tell us whether or not the DLC has the same issues as the game. :\

+ DragonIrons on January 19th, 2013 at 8:54 am said:

While I understand everyone’s view on whether to get these or not, I have to say I will be getting them myself. ~20 bucks and get all 3? Unlike some people I was able to finish the game relativley glitch free (I had the annoying random system lock ups but that didnt’ happen often, then again my PS3 is a new one year old [asof now] 320 gig slim). I turned off auto saving and everything b4 I even started cause I already knew the problems. And I manually save before entering any cave (and leaving it) and after every grind session or quest or whatever.

Even with the problems the game had I’ll still be getting these. But I agree, I’m never buying a bethesda game again if it has problems like this did. And maybe Bethesda shoud hire people that know what they’re doing. I find it odd every other game developer doesnt’ have problems like this.

+ Darth-Krayt on January 19th, 2013 at 9:14 am said:

LOL @ all the tools jumoing on the bandwagon and repeating each other with the “we hate you Bethesdas” and “I’ll wait for the GotY edition”. You people are so full of it.

1) if you were REALLY waiting for the GOTY edition, you’d know that the GOTY Edition has already been announced. And you’d also know that this GOTY Edition of SKYRIM isn’t going to help you “stick it to Bethesda by getting the DLC and game for cheaper and in one package”, because it doesn’t come with any of the DLC. It’s just Collector’s Edition 2 with staue, maps and other things….no DLC….so LOL @ you people for thinking you’re clever.

2) Anyone saying Beth did SUCH a great job on the 360 version but gave a crap port for PS3, you obviously never played the 360 version and are just listening to M$ shills on the internet lying about the 360 version being perfect, and then repeating it and LYING saying you played it and you know it’s perfect. Contrary to what brainwashers tell you on the internet, the 360 version had more bugs than PS3. But you people (internet trolls) only talk about PS3’s problems. SHows how easy people are brainwashed by M$ propaganda.

+ Ryuhza on January 19th, 2013 at 9:52 am said:

I’m going off of the prices for the DLC as they are on both Xbox and PC. I don’t think anyone at Beth or Sony is stupid enough to raise the cost solely for the PS3.

Matt Grandstaff's Avatar

+ Matt Grandstaff on January 19th, 2013 at 8:52 pm said:

If you look at the prices on Steam, that gives you an idea of how they’ll be priced on the PS Store. $19.99 for Dragonborn and Dawnguard; $4.99 for Hearthfire. All those prices will be slashed in half during the first week.

+ boomstickbhg on January 19th, 2013 at 10:18 am said:

Nice, I gave up on ever getting the DLC a few months ago and sold my copy to get the Xbox version.

But since the Xbox is no fun to play with, I’ve barely touched the game and not touched the first couple DLC :P

So when this drops I can finally trade back in for the PS3 version and actually play, yay!

+ Unojack on January 19th, 2013 at 10:27 am said:

Well, I’m happy at least. :)

+ AloAlmighty on January 19th, 2013 at 11:46 am said:

Sweet. And I do not mind taking a discount in repay for the wait.

+ IcedDice777 on January 19th, 2013 at 2:18 pm said:

Thanx for the efforts. Will buy them once available on the store.

+ drGiggless on January 19th, 2013 at 2:49 pm said:

By only running the discount 1 week, it’s pretty clear they are trying to sucker as many people as possible into buying the DLC before everyone finds out it’s broken. Bethesda has repeatedly given the middle finger to PS3 owners for years, please don’t enable them by buying this garbage.

Matt Grandstaff's Avatar

+ Matt Grandstaff on January 19th, 2013 at 8:51 pm said:

The discount was our way of thanking the community while we worked to make the content available on PS3. It’s taken time, but it’s always been our hope to be able to release them for everyone to play.

+ Nithorias on January 19th, 2013 at 3:02 pm said:

just one reply from them *LOL* mark my words guys cuss’ this dlcs will be broken like the game itself, I love Skyrim but the performance on this system it’s a joke, and yes the game did had bugs and glitches on 360, even on PC, but the PS3 was the worst of them all. Bethesda always has the excuse of big world to many glitches… then delayed the effin’ game and sort out the bugs before launching it dang it. I’m calling it out right now, one month from now you will be reading a lot of people’s comments whining about the bugs and glitches on those dlcs. People will never learn.

+ Gmafz7 on January 19th, 2013 at 3:28 pm said:

The normal version is still terrible compared to the xbox one, shall not receive my support, sorry, anyways I already returned it and exchanged for another game…

+ KillerOttsel on January 19th, 2013 at 3:31 pm said:

Praise Talos!

+ c0nn0r_pwns_u on January 19th, 2013 at 4:52 pm said:

Wow what terrible customer service. Bethesda has the nerve to treat their loyal Ps3 crowd like this, and on top of that they aren’t even responding to the comments we are leaving. What an insult. Honestly, I think we’d be better off without your buggy games on our console.

Sony has never treated gamers like this, but apparently Bethesda is just in in for the money.

+ sciteach on January 19th, 2013 at 5:17 pm said:

great. now i need to get the fix on my PS3 bug where whenever i enter water the system locks up. not liking it.

+ NeoGuardian86 on January 19th, 2013 at 7:31 pm said:

That’s great news!

but i think i’ll spend my money on something else. i’ll eventually get all of Skyrim + DLC on my future PC rig.

I got Fallout 3 : game of the year, Fallout : New Vegas (I know Bethesda didn’t produce it, but ti’s their engine and they had some assistance), then Skyrim.

Skyrim was the last straw, where i could suffer through the glitches and problems in FO3 and F:NV, Skyrim literally broke me, and i never went back to it.

maybe one day.

+ Matt6923 on January 19th, 2013 at 7:52 pm said:

@74 my issue with that bug was fixed by reinstalling the Game Data. Just delete the game and any Updates for it in the Game Data Utility and relaunch the game.

Matt Grandstaff's Avatar

+ Matt Grandstaff on January 19th, 2013 at 8:49 pm said:

Thanks for posting the workaround :)

+ SpooNManX on January 19th, 2013 at 7:59 pm said:

looking forward to this.

+ linkin214 on January 19th, 2013 at 8:14 pm said:

I can’t wait.. i shall devote most of free time on the new content. Thanks for coming through!!

Matt Grandstaff's Avatar