Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Jan 19

God of War Ascension

God of War: Ascension Single-Player Trailer, Demo in February

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar Posted by Aaron Kaufman on Jan 19, 2013 // Community Strategist, Santa Monica Studio

Like God of War

Six months have passed since Kratos stood over the bodies of his wife and daughter, his hands stained with their blood – tricked by Ares into murdering the only people he ever loved. Swearing to avenge them, Kratos broke the blood oath that bound him to Ares… but oaths to Olympus are not so easily broken. This is where your journey in God of War: Ascension begins.

It’s been more than six long months since your first look at God of War: Ascension’s single-player campaign at E3. You’ve waited patiently, and asked about it an ungodly (but unsurprising) number of times. So, as we get ready to close our multiplayer beta early next week, the time has come to focus on where Ascension and its story will take you this March.

The trailer above is only a quick taste. You didn’t think Ascension was only 30 seconds long, did you?! We have more single-player details to unravel and showcase as we rage towards our launch on March 12th. Most importantly, in late February, we’ll be bringing you a full-fledged single player demo! We’ll be announcing details in the coming weeks, so stay tuned.

The Ascension Collector’s Edition

Many of you have already pre-ordered the Collector’s Edition for Ascension, but today we’re happy to show you the final “cube” you’ll be receiving, and of course placing atop your shrine to God of War:

God of War: Ascension Collector's Edition_updated
Note: Image updated

Be on the lookout for more single-player details, and be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Thank you again to all of our Multiplayer Beta Warriors. Don’t forget: your Gifts from the Gods will be ready for you at launch!

PAGE 1 2

+ Hogwild333 on January 19th, 2013 at 6:45 am said:

I am very excited for this game. I would love to get God of War 3 as part of PS Plus so that I can replay it before the next one comes out. This would also be a great way to build buzz like you did for Borderlands 2 by giving everyone Borderlands 1. You guys are smart so I’m sure you already figured that out.

+ KazeEternal on January 19th, 2013 at 6:58 am said:

There better be a damned good reason for Kratos’ skin to be pale white (The Ghost of Sparta hello!) in a scene with his family. His skin wasn’t that color during that time.

+ SNORLAXex on January 19th, 2013 at 7:04 am said:

Yay, we can sign in again.
And I agree #2, that will be an extreme oversight on their part if they mess that up.

+ remanutd5 on January 19th, 2013 at 7:11 am said:

God of War 3 still remains my favorite ps3 game of all time but i think Ascension will have a say in the matter, I have never seen Kratos smiling and that gesture alone takes Ascension to a whole new level of awesomeness lol, i will try multiplayer but i dont really care that much i just want it to be the best God of War single player ever!!!! God of War 3 was Epic!!!! Ghost of Sparta too.

+ LVJ4RROD on January 19th, 2013 at 7:16 am said:

What?????? This product listing changed! If you go to GameStop, Amazon or any other store than sells this Collector’s Edition it shows the following:

Premium Steelbook Case God of War: Ascension Game
Exclusive 6″ Kratos Statue

Voucher Downloads Include:
Official Game Soundtrack (Digital Version)
48 Hour MP XP Booster
PlayStation®3 Dynamic Theme
PlayStation®Network Avatar Pack
Pass for Future DLC Content

They also have it included in the picture for the product listing. This listing and picture have removed the Pass for Future DLC Content, which is 75% of the reason I pre-ordered the Collector’s Edition. Did anyone else notice this change? Is anyone else upset about this change?

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on January 19th, 2013 at 8:39 am said:

The image is inaccurate, the Gamestop description is correct.

Do not fear, we will get that modified quick.

Apologies for scaring the living hell out of you.

+ Undrey on January 19th, 2013 at 7:17 am said:

Hey Aaron, is there any chance we can get God of War 3 on PSN? I’d love to finally experience this game anytime I want.

+ yaheard2008ep on January 19th, 2013 at 7:17 am said:

This game look so amazing. I have every GOW game and the Collector Edition from GOW3 (Pandora Box). I wish I had the Plus so that I can play the GOWA Multiplayer Beta. I wonder what would be next passed GOWA will there be another GOW??

+ goodguy_reuben on January 19th, 2013 at 7:18 am said:

Single player demo? BRING IT!

+ Butters360 on January 19th, 2013 at 7:32 am said:

Kratos looks so different without the Golden Fleece! I still think this game will end with Kratos ascending from the ashes of Mount Olympus and the first thing we’ll see is his right hand and the Golden Fleece.

+ LVJ4RROD on January 19th, 2013 at 7:34 am said:

Yep, not one person so far noticed they changed the product listing. I will make sure to let GameStop know when I cancel the pre-order. I am not interested in the statue. Back to the standard edition for me. (see above post 5)

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on January 19th, 2013 at 8:40 am said:

Hold that pre-order (if you want), the image is wrong, not the product listing.

+ Fardeenah on January 19th, 2013 at 7:38 am said:

i hope its not the demo they showed at e3 last year…. love the game… most of the time when a gow game releases on march on ps3, somehow it also reveals the title for the next portable gow(chains of olympus and ghost of sparta) on psp and now vita… fingers crossed….

+ Nates4Christ on January 19th, 2013 at 7:51 am said:

Oh “god” of war how I can’t stand you and your demonic-ness. you really suck and are the soul reason I can’t play my most anticipated game of 2012 Playstation all stars. Why can’t you just be a dude with powers killing big monsters? Why do they have to go into this pagan mythology blaspheming the bible? It could have been the same game with neutral characters.

+ Ghost-of-SpartaX on January 19th, 2013 at 7:52 am said:

Finally! their talking about single player

+ ero619 on January 19th, 2013 at 7:57 am said:

Hey im on the same page as LVJ4RROD, the dlc pass was a big reason to me for preordering the collectors edition, its a sad thing because it really takes off a lot of value the thing had. :S

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on January 19th, 2013 at 8:40 am said:

The image is inaccurate, the product listing on Gamestop is correct, hang tight!

+ togue on January 19th, 2013 at 7:59 am said:

They are probably doing this to shut up the people whining about the multiplayer focus

+ snakeeyes211 on January 19th, 2013 at 8:03 am said:

what happened to the future DLC pass that’s wrong that you advertise something and then and a month and a half before the game comes out you decide not to included we want answers

+ LVJ4RROD on January 19th, 2013 at 8:08 am said:

Thanks ero619 and snakeeyes211!!!

+ Chaoz on January 19th, 2013 at 8:13 am said:

I noticed on your facebook page you said if you watch the latest dev diary we could catch something interesting. when watching the video i noticed what seemed to be a co-op survival mode. This would be amazing. After playing the beta there would be nothing sweeter than jumpinh online with my friends and with my champion and destroying monsters from the single player game all while leveling up. Cyclopses, minatours, and gorgons. Excuse the spelling no spell check on vita! Cant wait for this title im already impressed with the multiplayer and i cant wait to see the final product. Thanks Sony Santa Monica for some of my greatest experiences!

+ duffyboy1986 on January 19th, 2013 at 8:13 am said:

After all this promotion on the psn blog, i’ll be damned if this game doesn’t make it to the psn store…Any confirmation that this will be a day 1 digital. The demo is nice news (kinda late) but I wanna put money in your pocket Aaron…help me to help you..lol

+ Chaoz on January 19th, 2013 at 8:17 am said:

The collectors edition taht other companies post on there web page is not a confirmation from sony or sony santa monica. If they didnt post it the why are you complaining to them? talk to Amazon or Gamestop about it! Plus from what ive seen its only 79.99. One of the lower priced collectors editions ive seen!

+ DarkOne_PR on January 19th, 2013 at 8:25 am said:

MEH! I dont want a demo. This game its a day one for me. Ppl who base their decision on a demo are reta.rded.

+ wocyob on January 19th, 2013 at 8:26 am said:

ohhhh cant wait! How does it seem like the ps3 still hasnt reach its peak in the graphics. Its blows my mind how amazing this looks.

+ DarkOne_PR on January 19th, 2013 at 8:27 am said:

Oh and collector Edition its mine!! but pls fix the feet

+ snakeeyes211 on January 19th, 2013 at 8:28 am said:

I complain here because Sony makes the game Not GameStop or Amazon and
If I want to hear a dumb remark I’ll ask you

+ ACEITMAN on January 19th, 2013 at 8:28 am said:

@ LVJ4RROD for 20$ more its a steel with the kratos statue by its self . I preordered day one when they announced it I saw nothing about season, the champion dlc is whats there. pass .http://www.gamestop.com/mrkt/landing/gowa/img/710x330_champpack.jpg
by the way good job looking forward to demo .

+ ACEITMAN on January 19th, 2013 at 8:30 am said:

That kratos statue will look good on top oh my god of war 3 High-End Sculpted Replica of Pandora’s Box.

+ ero619 on January 19th, 2013 at 8:37 am said:

There are post on the blog that say that the collector comes with the dlc pass at 79.99, of course it was too much of a great deal to mantain. The truth its without it i do not want the collector edition, im not that crazy on statues and figures, i wanted the dlc and the steel case. Also if i want the full multiplayer experience im going to have to spend 10-20 more dollars on the pass.

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on January 19th, 2013 at 8:47 am said:

Once again, just clarifying here for all, the Collector Edition does come with the DLC Pass. The image is inaccurate, we’ll get that corrected asap.

The Gamestop product listing IS CORRECT.

+ snakeeyes211 on January 19th, 2013 at 8:55 am said:

@ just_tank You were a great community manager at THQ and you’re doing a really good job here too :-)
Thanks for the update the gods will be pleased

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on January 19th, 2013 at 9:03 am said:

Thank you sir, I’ve been doing Community Management since 2005, love every second of it. Just want to make sure everyone has the accurate info given our unfortunate error in the image.

+ ero619 on January 19th, 2013 at 8:56 am said:

Thanks Aaron for the clarification(dont know if that word exists lol, latin user here!) :)

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on January 19th, 2013 at 9:03 am said:

“Clarification” is word, so you’re good!

+ blakseed on January 19th, 2013 at 9:13 am said:

You complain all the time so it’s nothing new…

Anyway, CE has been pre-ordered for months now and I can’t wait for it to come in a couple of months. Though that vid was 30 secs, it was 30 secs of awesome.

+ anti-altair16 on January 19th, 2013 at 9:15 am said:

Already have the collectors edition paid for. Now I must wait. Come on March!

+ sweeneytodd1981 on January 19th, 2013 at 9:31 am said:

just_tank had one ? is this gonna be a new demo different from the one they showed at E3 or is this the same one also thank u for the clarification on the dlc pass i placed my preorder yesterday and will keep it cus i want everything in that collectors edition cus its god of war and its totally awesome

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on January 19th, 2013 at 9:44 am said:

YES, ABSOLUTELY, our Single-Player demo we will release next month is something you’ve never seen before in Ascension. The E3 SP demo was a Total Recall exclusive.

This single-player demo is the BIG ONE.

+ sweeneytodd1981 on January 19th, 2013 at 9:46 am said:

omg THANK U so much wow u and your team at sony santa monica totally rock thank u again

+ DevXY on January 19th, 2013 at 9:48 am said:

Finally <3 i was just waiting for it

+ KazeEternal on January 19th, 2013 at 10:09 am said:

@Aaron Kaufman
Why is Kratos’ skin pale white before his family is dead?

Aaron Kaufman's Avatar

+ Aaron Kaufman on January 19th, 2013 at 4:09 pm said:

Our story takes place AFTER his family has died, however, we cannot reveal why you see his family in the trailer.

+ boomstickbhg on January 19th, 2013 at 10:15 am said:

cool looking forward to this, was dissapointed when I found out the Beta was only a multiplayer thing.

Can'[t stand the new MP, but I love GoW games so far so I have high hopes for the SP.

+ NickMulder on January 19th, 2013 at 10:28 am said:

So glad we’re FINALLY hearing about the single-player! Hate to say it, but most of us aren’t NEARLY as excited about the multi-player aspect. The single-player is what made God Of War the beloved series that it is today! Don’t get me wrong, I’ll most CERTAINLY be playing multi-player, but the story is what I’m really buying this for. Still hoping for a game after God Of War III!!!! We all saw that Kratos survived…. ;)

+ Pabloo1010 on January 19th, 2013 at 4:20 pm said:

Playstation’s gonna have its best year probably since launch! Pre-ordering this baby next month! I’m so interested to see how Santa Monica is portraying a different side of Kratos.

+ carberri on January 19th, 2013 at 4:26 pm said:

Mr. Kaufman, you’ve said the CE from Gamestop includes a Pass for Future DLC Content, but what about other retailers like Amazon, Best Buy, etc. Is there also a DLC pass included from this sellers? Thanks!

+ supvic on January 19th, 2013 at 5:17 pm said:

please tell me the demo with have stereoscopic 3D. I’m playing Vol2 collection now and the 3D is AMAZING in Chains of Olympus! so freaking good.. so I’m really eager to see how better it’ll be in Ascension.

+ Xdark_dragonX on January 19th, 2013 at 5:19 pm said:

From that 30 min single player gameplay trailer that was recently released which let me say it was EPIC, I noticed some aerial battles when it showed Kratos fighting that Manticore (dragon body and lion head). I remember similar aerial battles to what GoW 2 offered when Kratos was riding his Pegasus and jumping from griffin to griffin slashing their wings off. I’m not sure if Kratos will actually fight the Manticore in the air in real-time but are we going to experience some real-time aerial battles this time around?

My final question that has been burning me deep inside since the E3 Ascension demo is will the graphics get better in the final product than what you see in the E3 demo just like how the finished product of GoW 3 looked noticeably better than the GoW 3 E3 demo (better AA, textures, smoother framerate, etc)? This is not to say that the Ascension e3 demo looks bad it looks awesome, but I felt that Kratos’s model didn’t quite deliver that live action photorealistic animations that the Kratos model from GoW 3 delivered. Hopefully the finished product will look at least as good as GoW 3

+ fixer1989 on January 19th, 2013 at 5:58 pm said:

Aaron, it was at EB Games in Canada.

+ KwietStorm on January 19th, 2013 at 6:09 pm said:

Can someone tell me if the Kratos statue will fit on top of the God of War III collector’s edition Pandora’s box?

+ neuropunk on January 19th, 2013 at 7:13 pm said:

will this game have shallow gameplay, super linear hallway corridors, crummy QTEs, simplistic puzzles made for kindergarteners and a terribad story and awful characters, just like the rest of the God of War series?

Magic ball says ‘YES’.

+ KwietStorm on January 19th, 2013 at 7:30 pm said:

So you’re commenting because…what?

+ Skip_2011 on January 19th, 2013 at 8:35 pm said:

Will the CE come with the standard edition case as well?

+ LVJ4RROD on January 19th, 2013 at 8:37 pm said:

Thank you for the response Aaron. It’s nice that someone actually takes the time to respond. I will keep my CE pre-order. Thanks again!

+ LVJ4RROD on January 19th, 2013 at 8:39 pm said:

Great question by Skip_2011!!!! Will the CE come with the standard edition case as well? I like to save the steelbooks and not throw them in the drawer with my other games.

+ OmegaSpear on January 19th, 2013 at 11:11 pm said:

My body is ready

+ IrishDude2 on January 20th, 2013 at 2:41 am said:

10 replies in the US blog.. Why do yas not reply to us EU? Can you not open the EU blog in a new tab and reply to us at same time?

PAGE 1 2